PO Box Q139, QVB Sydney NSW 1230. Drier than a dingos donga, I think is more A dead dingos donga. Im drier than or Im as dry as. Longdrop outdoor dunny. In Aussie slang it refers to casual wear trousers. goon is just a cheap and nasty wine. This nickname denotes people who think a little too highly of themselves, and actually is an acronym for F*ck Im good, just ask me!, Figjams love to brag about how easy everything is for them with their superior skill set.. Old fart = old person or elderly Political correctness. Why are you having a go at me all I did was blow up a mailbox ABC Education brings you high-quality educational content to use at home and in the classroom. Ask your oldies if you can come to the milk bar with me after school.. Bunch of fives = Fist This handy Australian word is short for business. We rocked up at Dons party straight after work.. Its far more common for stuffed and knocked up to be used this way. His sayings were never ending. Context of someone being a wanker or up themselves: Fuck me, that James guy is a flog 1980s Slang Mug!, Totally awesome, Generation X gifts, Gen X gifts, GenX expresssions, Perfect gift for a child of the 80s! Kegga Redhead (Same as Ranga, specific to Berwick) Somewhere I heard when you curse (or im not even sure if thats a curse) yourself, you go: Bly me! . There are a couple of others Id clarify. Or someone is stirring trouble and hurling insults Are you having a go at me? And stubby holder it bloody keeps my hands warm in winter from a cold can and keeps my can cool in summer so my hands dont warm up the beer. Gas means it's all fine. Joining the police was called Taking the shilling. Buggered = Exhausted You gotta know the context! Some Australian slang can be dated back to Shakespeare's time. MacDonalds, you know that famous fast food burger joint, is only known as Maccas over here! When a party doesnt stop even in the wee hours of the night an Australian might say it raged on. Know all of these and use them in my own language much to the amusement of my non Australian friends and colleagues. A mob in Australian slang can refer to a lot of different things. When we first moved out here to build the farm things were crook on the land.. I just cant work this math problem out, Im stonkered.. Bill: Shut up Ted! Murphys chance or just Murphys = it just aint gonna happen Ive lived in FNQ for 30+ years around some dinky die blokes, and came to know being rooted as being very tired; as well as have a root as having sex. The list of number 1 singles by Australian artists during the 80s is just as diverse, with 23 different tracks reaching the pinnacle of the ARIA chart that decade. Some places (e.g. Shark biscuit kids at the beach. Drop your guts = Pass wind Fly on the wall-when an conversation some one peeks in and listens and looks. 125 Common Australian Slang Words, Terms and Phrases 1. This phrase could be a warning and/or threat. No worries, shell be right mate Its not a problem, everything will be okay! Its worth noting that Aussies have a tendency to shorten most words in the English vocabulary as well. Mongrel can also refer to an erection. Youre not livin in a cattle truck mate Pull your head in. If youre struggling changing over from miles to kilometers, take the challenge a step further and use the Australian term for a kilometer. Sketchy = not quite right or risky Squizz having a gander. Mickey Ds, is generally limited to southern New England, USA. In Australia, candy is called lolliesand it doesnt have to be on a stick! This is a day off work without being actually sick. If someones got the wobbly boot on in Australia then theyre drunk. Righto Righto lets get a move on! avocado-avo. Be warned though, theyre not always sweet! No Wozza/No Woz No worries (Not specific to Melbourne) Penny dropped- when it hit me. VI Matturday Night Fever, Pingback: Just Moved to Australia? It can be used for anything that is broken or worn out. Or, if you like, just call your friends aboganwhen they are acting weird. Usually fairly cheap. Darwin stubby This is because for some weird reason Australians like to shorten every word and then add a vowel to the end of it e.g. Sheila is derived from an Irish word for a young unmarried woman. Hallelujah! A short form of Robert is Bob or Bobby. Barkers Eggs/= Dogs droppings that have turned white in the sun on lawns, or anywhere. Australians have a unique character thats all their own, and an Aussie accent is unmistakable anywhere in the world. Bezza Berwick Pub (Suburb of Berwick) According to an upcoming Australian documentary entitled Do It Ourselves Culture, the word doof was first said back in 1993 by a furious German lady by the name of Helga as a means of describing the music of local Sydney dance act, Non Bossy Posse, who were performing at 600 King St, Newtown. This Australian slang word means to be sick. This is a pleasant term for a rather unpleasant thing . Salmon $20 note, Footy is sometimes reduced to Foody in some parts of Australia Footy = Foody, You forgot to mention CAPSICUM red pepper . A fairground staple, this delicacy is known outside of Australia as cotton candy. live, learn and work. I went fishin in my tinny the other day, and I ran into this charter boat. and just in case i got one wrong hahahahaha D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F Rego - registration of a vehicle. Freakin hell expression of disgust. Cut and Shut/= Originally an automotive term, but can refer to a woman as having her womb removed/ or her tubes tied. Going off means full on partying or Angry/pissed off, hahaha had a convo with a friend and he got so confused, Good on ya mate for completing the challenge. But despite not having quite the established vernacular some other countries and cultures may boast, Australian slang words have become globally adored. For example, when being prompted by your fellow shearers to get up for work, one might say fair go, Ive got half a mongrel here. Who the hell thought that one up? Is the news about the UFO crash fair dinkum?. Puffed = breathing hard, out of breath I think you are right. Fair go, mate. You can even just say youre having a captain if you feel the need to be extra brief! This harmonious slang term refers to sweatpants. The spy stealing Australian secrets was given the drum that someone had dobbed him in and managed to stow away on a boat out of Australia.. Huh?! Hi Richard, yeah, I suppose duck nuts isnt real appropriate, dont know how old, but definitely Ocka, is simply, Ledge. One in 6 Aussies have Irish blood in their ancestry, I think it is really Guinness LOL. (Supplied: Chelsey Horne) Gnarly Gnarly can mean very good as well. grouse When shed finished lecturing the boys, Grandma called me a fruit loop for how Id raised them.. Im totally stuffed mate. grub food. Dink the Victorian term for giving someone a lift on their bike as in Ill give you a dink. Bloke strewth!! Uni is short for university aka college in Australian slang. So whether youre headed Down Under for a quick getaway in the sun, or planning to move there permanently, weve got you covered with this list of 125 common Australian slang words that will have even the locals fooled! Dead set f*cken true c**t. Dumbarse. WRONG!! o guia nele ou algo. Um fantstico ler. Kip and ky bed and food (ave a) pull ? Gotta got to, have got to If youre lucky while traveling in Australia, youll see a joeya baby kangaroo! As in, Dawn was really good at her job. Part of a new iteration of Australian slang phrases, iso is short for isolationa common occurrence during the pandemic while traveling. I met my wife by cracking onto her at the restaurant where she worked.. Shutterstock The evocative interjection Strewth, for instance, is a remnant of an early modern fashion that fell out of use in England. American English Australian Meaning to look for something, Hate change, seriousness and political correctness. Thank you so much for sharing such nice article with us. Plus a ton that arent even on here that are pretty basic, heres 2 because Im too lazy to add the 15 or so not on there, or the 20+ that arent even close to accurate. as well as a group of kangaroos! Worried that something isnt going to plan? The most important object in any kitchen, a billy is a teapot. Very informative article. Hi Stephen, thanks for your input. Chaddy Chadstone Shopping Centre Go on, give horse riding a burl, you may like it!. We drove 15 clicks just to see the crowd that had assembled at the mention of UFOs.. Make sure you visit the Outback while youre in Australia.. Preggo - pregnant. This slang word conveys nonstop talk or nagging, and can also denote a lecture or scolding. bother -bro Every day I pack myself a sanger of pickle and peanut butter for lunch. To dob someone in is to tattle on someone or inform on their behavior and actions. A porky pie or a porky for short is a lie in Australian slang. Hairy Eyeball: Somebody looking at you suspiciously or . I guess it depends on ur age . When I saw the size of the insects outside my room, I was grateful for the fly wire.. Bad: Very good, excellent; cool, awesome. Other phrases Ive heard. You fuckin wit(h) me? This phrase is used to congratulate Australians on a job well done. #89 Its not so your hands dont get cold while your drinkingFor Petes Sake Its so your beer stays cold, yer Drongo. Irrelevant of origin. If youre waiting for news from home while in Australia, youll be eager to see the postie, or mailman. 92 Stubby Holder Used so your hands dont get cold when holding your beer! Some of these words may not be as commonly used these days, but you might still hear them being used ironically or by older Australians. If one were to follow that logic theyd be called pelican smugglers. Flat out like a lizard drinking Usually sherry or brown muscat. Fair Crack of the whip Although this term may sound negative to the untrained ear, it actually indicates a well-known party spot or a place to have a good time Down Under. Which really isnt much different from the Ranching community I grew up in. Strides is another word for daks aka pants! It's often combined with 'babe' making the phrase ' bodacious babe'. Context of going to the gym: Hey mate, are you going for a flog? Is a phrase that has nothing at all to do with what bicycle, bus,Uber or train you plan on taking to get there, or go home! Runners / joggers = sports shoes PC. A rollie is slang for a hand-rolled cigarette, popular in Australia. Narre Narre Warren. Not pronounced how are you going? Which requires an answer. Going Off: really busy OR a person losing their temper and shouting OR food turned sour Wanka what a wanka meaning idiot Ace: The best. Nice. .I once heard a story of an English lady on vacation in Oz who was changing into her swimming gear in a communal womens room. True blue genuinely Australian Under the pump = feeling stressed or on a deadline. Chuck us a frothie cob (Please share a beer with me old friend). Cow inna cupboard/=Can of powdered milk, canned evaporated/condensed milk, cartons of UHT/Long Life milk that can be stored long term in a cupboard/pantry long term without the need to be refrigerated. As an aside, it would be fair to say, a majority of blokes down the beach would usually Boardies or Boardshorts, unless they were in some type of event like lifesaving or swimming. Snot Block Vanilla Slice If something is ridgy-didge in Australia then its the real thing. Prezo = presentation If your trip to Australia is a bit hectic and you only have a few days to pack everything in, you might use this expression to say youre busy. Pakky Suburb of Pakenham Bumbag=fannipack To say someone needs a good flogging, means they need to be punished or taught a lesson. Paris End Top end of Collins St (In the CBD) Everyone uses the word tinnie for a can of beer. Gander Having a Squizz. what about flip-flopsthere thongs because of how they sound when you walk. fair dinkum really? Youre tripping! Or You be tripping! This Australian slang word is the term for kindergarten Down Under! Ex: can I grab you a cuppa? Up the duff = Pregnant Tuck Shop/= Corner Shop selling Tucker/Food, usually groceries but including pies, pasties, Lead Sinkers(dried fruit slices) and sundry other cakes,lollies,and cold/soft drinks. Australians today are mixed races more so than yesteryear so there is a lot of slang that was not around in earlier years. Chuck a lefty/righty: driving directions, turn left/right When I found the boys in the kitchen eating the cake Id just baked for our wedding, I gave them an earbashing., You may know this term as expensive, but Australians prefer the shorter exy., Buying dinner for the whole office was exy.. ? 33. Airhead: A stupid or unaware person; a moron or dim-wit. For some (incl. Think rhymes for a secondthats the key to understanding what Australians mean when they use this phrase to denote taking a look. Had the Snip/= No jellybeans in the jellybean bag/Vasectomy. To rock up somewhere is to arrive somewhere in Australia. Meaning: (Noun): A thoroughly 80's insult that means someone is an idiot. Are you on your way to Australia to visit friends? Some of these phrases are still part of the vernacular. Thanks so much! Spot on..goon is the abbreviation for flagon a large 2 or 3 litre glass bottle of wine. Schoolies = a student farewell holiday It is also incorporated in the idiom of the valley girl way of speaking. Interesting how everyone connects the word mate to Aussies favorite word call for others! Class and Culture This unique Australian term is used to talk about successful people. Bull Dust/=Very fine red dust sand/or a polite way of saying nonsense. Bloke. The bloody mongrel bit me!, You might refer to a person as a mongrel, but the meaning depends on the context. David Astle highlights variations like spunk rat and spunk machine. Gnarly = really awsome or something you really like 3. In the 80s, if something was cool, it was awesome. Julia Robinson, editor of the Australian National Dictionary Centre, says while it's chiefly a US term, it's also used in Australia, particularly in surfing contexts. Fair suck of the sav (or later- the sauce bottle)= Youve got to be kidding! When people want to know whats going on, or theyre requesting the goss (gossip), they ask what the John Dory is. yes one word. Did you see that joey in his mamas pouch?. Aussie slang is definitely fun to listen to and if youre planning to visit or live in Australia, well you gotta gear up and polish your knowledge on Aussie terms. Monash Carpark Monash Freeway (Especially during peak hour) She was wearing these beautiful bright green strides and carrying a surfboard.. Chuck a wobbly A milk bar is a local general store in Australia, selling everything from newspapers toyou guessed itmilkshakes. dont ask for a napkin to wipe off your face! ! Or You playin wit(h) me? Then you visit an English speaking country and start hearing some very strange slang terms. bodacious - righteous, as in . Chrissie is Australian slang for Christmas! One of my all time favourites. Your oldies in Australia are your parents. When I tried to leave for work this morning I realized the car was cactus.. Were so glad you managed to visit for Chrissie.. In the bolocky same as above She was gobsmacked to discover that the strange noise downstairs was an alien fossicking through her fridge!. Come over here for a minute. chippie (carpenter) Or, as the dictionary says in a prettier way; someone who is intellectually challenged. Bonza/=Really good, even brilliant. But youve hit the nail on the head with your list, its a rippa. Shes a ledge of a teacher. Tappa/Tapper/= A collector of discarded cans and bottles, the bottles collected in his bags would make a distinct tapping sound as he walked along, hence the moniker of Tapper. Some of them used to be, but would never be pronounced with a straight face by anyone under 30. Furphy is the name for false or unconvincing rumors in Australia. I lived in Queensland for a couple years in the 1980s, loved it! I heard slangs like Bobs your uncle and Rain check . All my friends are surfies, but I dont know how to swim.. Flat White Coffee with milk, but no froth (Not sure if slang but certainly seems to be an Aussie invention!) First Australians and Traditional Custodians of the lands where we An Esky was the brand name of big portable container used to keep food or drink cool. Dons house was going off last nightwe raged on until 5am! Below, we've compiled some of the more fun and interesting slang coinages. At other times theyll just add a different vowel instead of the o. Blue = fight Friggen- how to say f&*@%g in front of kids and non sweaters. Down Under - Men At Work. Down the gurgler = down the plug hole / lost Grandma sprung those boys stealing her cigarettes again., Another way to say youre taking a look if you want some variety from Captain Cook., Take a good squizz at this strange feather I found the other day.. Made famous by the ill-fated former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who enjoyed using Australian slang to speak to the . choof Australian slang words, terms and phrases are often hard to master at first glance, but with practice, you too can get the hang of the rhyming patterns and fondness for shortening words. The 'Ducks nuts' possibly is derived from the British 'Dogs bollocks', another express. When your time in Australia comes to a close, be sure to tell everyone hooroo! meaning goodbye. Fair suck of the sauce bottle. Doing a Bradbury Wining by virtue of everybody in front of you falling over Refers to person that is intellectually challenged. It is an abbreviation as such, and not a full word. You need to find yourself a sangera sandwich! Tinnie=can of beer Many Australians single out a famous TV commercial done by Paul Hogan in the 1980s as part of a campaign to get American tourists to visit as the moment Americanisms began to get the better of the. Jeez aussie No need to go off like a raw prawn. . As if - A shorted phrase for "as if it were true" or "as if you were right. Reg Grundies Undies My question: is too true used any more? A few cans short of a six pack (beer). A journo in Australian slang is someone who works as a journalist. In New South Wales, they are usually referred to as scallops or potato scallops, however the term potato cakes is used across the southern states of Victoria, Tasmania, Western Australia and known in South Australia as a potato fritter. Are you headed Down Under? To chuck a yewy means to perform a u-turn in Australian slang. I am sure some others would agree.lol, Chuffed = pleased In the '80s, if you were getting overly emotional or upset about something, you were "having a cow." How exactly this cow was being had is open to interpretationbut really, there's no good. digby Avo - avocado. Gday cobber! The goon was originally a flagon. paninaro. Extremely versatile word for your vocab. A True Blue sheila looked at her underwear admiringly and asked: Bingle too right footy Yobbo Barbie If you need to get going and youre prone to a bit of poetry, you may say that you have to hit the frog and toadaka the road. Ha ha. You may find yourself performing the Aussie salute often if your house isnt equipped with fly wirethis expression comically means to brush away flies. If someone gives you the drum, theyre giving you the inside scoop, information or a tip-off. Another common one to hear at the pub is hes blotto Yeah dont buy that guy another drink hes already had too many! Tucker = Food Leper in a sleeping bag chiko roll I like it, especially bcoz it has contained the valuable guide.This is something really helpful. Possie=position Marks right. He filled the billy with water and waited impatiently for it to boil.. Would you pick up a packet of biccies from the milk bar on your way home please?. Veggies is a sweet way of saying vegetables in Australian slang. pushie or pushbike a little longer?. If youre waggin school youre playing truant or hooky. Some of the slang terms are also only used in certain parts of Australia and not others. Hossie=hospital Although Australia is an English speaking country, arriving into the country with little knowledge of the most popular Aussie slang words may just get you into a few awkward situations. Me 55 born n bred blues (NSW). The tune is about a proud Aussie man who travels the world, interacting with people - to Men At Work, this song is about . The most important slang to know when visiting Australia, gday means hello and can be used anytime! Give me 5= give me a high five This is an important one to know. hello-gday 1980s Society and Culture Slang exists in large part to comment on the dominant culture of its day. 80s Slang Terms Words. After the spy left Australia, his apartment was fossicked by the police.. Tinnies are cans of beer in Australia. Randomly shout out "Schwing!" If they stare at you like you're having a mental collapse, they're probably one of those darned Millennials. Stuffed= pregnant The computers just carked it. Rack off = Go away You may encounter a few mozzies while youre in Australiamozzie means mosquito! I use a lot of these and I have my own list too. Gday love heres a few extra ones for ya How about doing some Bobbie duffing, or chucking a Uie, a U turn, or squaffing a tinnie. All our resources are free and mapped to the Australian Curriculum. A road train is a big truck hauling a chain of trailers in Australia. Im vejjodoes this have any meat in it, mate?. Derro/=A derelict remnant of a former man, usually in reference to a homeless drunkard or petrol/glue sniffer 50), starkers I really think is very British. Piece of piss : easy task. If someones spewin then theyre extremely angry. Woop Woop: middle of nowhere, a long way from a main town Here are some words that used to be popular in the past: Rad is short for radical. An earbashing is what you might receive if you encounter a particularly chatty tour guide. If you are new, you'd be lost in no time. 1. If something is grouse in Australian slang, that means its very good. 80s Slang (1 - 40 of 173 results) Price ($) Shipping 1980s Slang Wall Chart TheRaccoonSociety (1,007) $19.95 80s Print Catch Phrases Instant Download 80s Decor, 80s Printable, 80s Party, 80s Poster, Wall Art Decor, Printable Gift, 80s Slang Words PrintableSavvy (339) $5.50 80's Slang 20oz tumbler CydTheMadCrafter (696) $28.00 Gday mate! BODACIOUS. Already knew most of these but you could me with a few, What about the word Chockers full up or the road is completely filled with cars, chuck a blocky- similiar to a U-ie except wider going round a block, also used when searching for a house or place, Are you all actually Australian With its endless horizons, exciting new foods like Vegemite and Fairy Bread, and fantastic wildlife, Australia is a feast for the imaginative and adventurous spirit within us all. Im stoked that youre coming to Oz to visit.. If the person is Nerdy or Geeky we say either, a dag is, well, normally a person who looks like a dag! I just thought they were funny, but I dont know what much of it means, maybe you can help? The Australian slang word "seppo" has derived from its predecessor "septic tank" or "yank" and is rarely used by the young people in Aussie. Im trying to find a real vernacular aussie word meaning good at . gash Drop the aitch off of any word beginin with a H/h; Horse= Orse; House= Owse etc South Africans would understand a lot of these, our own slang / colloquialisms are similar. These fellahs walk into the Pub, sing out Fisho then take interested clientele back to their refrigerated vehicle. awh ikr mate they are just so attractive and its just ace ! Daks are an integral piece of clothing, otherwise known as pants! If something is London to a brick in Australia then its absolutely certain. bull bag Foxy: Very attractive girl. This is another instance of rhyming in Australian slang and means to bolt. 4. Funky: Another way of saying "that's cool". Copper is actually an old English word for police officer derived from the Latin caper meaning to capture. Your update nails it perfectly Flat out like a lizard drinkin, busy Thanks for the word,.Cobber. Stuffed = tired, wore out In Australian slang, a stickybeak is a nosy person who cant mind their own business. Pearler = beautiful day Have a bat Masturbate (Not sure if Aussie wide or Melbourne only) Required fields are marked *. "I eat brekkie every morning before sunup." 2. If youre bored here at the garden party, I can take you to a place thats really going off!. Screamer a great mark (Aussie Rules term) By the way pissed off is not annoyed its more like Angry. Im really surprised you dont have shrimp on a bobby on here!! Cactus pooptus = dead or about to die Australian accent & pronunciation: newcomers to Stralia need to read this . Crocodile Dundee had a gonk. As soon as they arrived at the fair, she bought ten bags of fairy floss., While this isnt the most polite Australian phrase out there, it sure can come in handy.