In the last few years, there have been a spate ofindie horror films that have broken into the mainstream. And it was the hair and makeup people. We all go nuts for a few minutes, and then were all like, Okay, what do we do?. Scarlett Johansson gives the most daring performance of her career in Jonathan Glazers surreal, experimental film. This monster slowly stalks you when you sleep with the wrong person, and the only way to pass it on is to bed another partner. As Korine told Rolling Stone: I want to do the most radical work, but put it out in the most commercial way. A24 just took him up on it. Focused on High Net Worth Policy holders where policy coverage exceeds $1 million. He recently profiled Conor McGregor for GQ Style. A24, which was founded in 2012, said that no additional changes in management will be made. They had heart to them.Harmony Korine, Sacco: I wouldnt say I got it. All Rights Reserved. It was social media. Since then his contributions to growing the company have been invaluable and we cant wait to see what he does next, said A24 in a statement. There are exceptions to this rule, such as Miramax, the company that upended indie cinema in the 90s, backing then unknown filmmakers like Steven Soderbergh and Quentin Tarantino. Where its like: Im in. He was calling me. They were not the company that they are today. Rather than carpet-bomb the whole country with prohibitively expensive television ads, A24 partnered with a social marketing agency called theAudience in order to more precisely reach its target demographic. Pattinson: I mean, with Twilight, the first tour we did was literally going to suburban shopping malls and doing local-news stuff. There was nothing bad-spirited about it. Read Next: Cate Blanchett Talks Tr and Fulfilling the Awards Prophecy of Winning an Oscar Every Nine Years, Tom Sizemore, Saving Private Ryan Actor, Dies at 61, Reality TV Star Stephen Bear Jailed for 21 Months Over OnlyFans Sex Video, Jonathan Majors Confronts Those Terrible Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Reviews: It Doesnt Change How I See Myself, New Alien Movie Starts Filming in March, Reveals Cryptic Synopsis and Full Cast, Why Sylvester Stallone Is Not in 'Creed 3', Michelle Yeoh Says Hollywood Questioned If I Even Spoke English After 1997 Bond Film: I Didnt Work for Two Years Due to Stereotype, Woody Harrelson Slams COVID Set Protocols as 'Nonsense,' Urges Hollywood to 'Stop' Forcing 'Vaccination': Thats 'Not a Free Country', Idris Elba Says Backlash Over Not Calling Himself a Black Actor Is Stupid: Where Am I Denying My Blackness?, Ke Huy Quan Lost His Health Insurance Right After Filming Everything Everywhere All at Once: Nobody Else Wanted to Hire Me, Harry Potter Star Evanna Lynch: I Wish People Would Give J.K. Rowling More Grace and Listen to Her, Britain's $4 Billion Boss: ITV Chief Carolyn McCall Bets It All on Talent, 2023 Music Festivals: How to Buy Tickets to Coachella, Governors Ball, Lollapalooza and More. So when I saw that, I was like, Okay, those guys, they know what they are doing.. The gross guysand hes like, All right. Its coveted because six of the past seven winners were nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, and the harrowing, emotional Room looks poised to follow in their footsteps after it opens in October. Their hair and makeup people, actually, are the people that had an issue with this. It was, like, every time another person walked out, I was like, Oh, there goes another one!, Sacco: All my friends and family, they kept asking about this new company. Beginning with hedonistic images of Disney starlets gone wild, the campaign consisted of producing Facebook ads that could also function as contentpeople wanted to share this stuff. But more independent existed then. All Rights Reserved. Since 1957, GQ has inspired men to look sharper and live smarter with its unparalleled coverage of style, culture, and beyond. Katz: By the way, a thousand times out of a thousand, youre wrong. When I saw Robert Eggers The Witch at that same festival, I stumbled out of the 9 a.m. press screening convinced that I had just seen a masterpiece. Fenkel: I stare straight ahead. I dunno! I mean, it made sense at the time. Mahershala Ali (actor, Moonlight): I definitely have a lot more opportunity right now than Ive ever had before. But its present success and continued survival are dependent on a massive deal that seems to directly contradict everything thats made the company so special. a24 john hodges net worth. Get it now by subscribing here. Brie Larson (actress, Room, The Spectacular Now): A24 has the unique ability to find and champion authentic narratives that cut to the core in a raw and honest way. Fenkel: Well, it wasnt a heartbreak, because they wouldnt actually call us back. [13] That same year, A24 entered a deal with Amazon Prime, where A24-distributed films would be available on Amazon Instant Video after becoming available on DVD and Blu-ray. Fenkel: I remember we were just getting to know Scott Rudin. There are more glamorous things to be, in Hollywood, than an independent distribution company. And [my producer] kept saying it, and I kept thinking, Okay, at some point Ill figure out what hes talking about. But if it is, a monastic degree of focus will be required to recognize which A24 titles might fare better on VOD. This elegant, yet sadistic horror film from Austria resembles Michael Hanekes Funny Games, yet the home invader was under the victims noses all along. We werent doing anything like that. Barry Jenkins (director, Moonlight): A24s the kind of company where they say, Yeah, they dont need to know what its about. Hodges: I started my career at USA Films, which became Focus Features. Ali Herting (acquisitions and development, A24): We were never gonna get Place Beyond the Pines. Aizenberg: Nine to ten people walked out. Eggers: In the very beginning, when we went to Sundance initially, I didnt think that this was going to have such a large audience. And in that moment I was like: Now its time to go do this. Surely theyve learned by now that theres a ceiling for arthouse films these days. I actually tied with Jared [Leto], who obviously won the Oscar that year, for L.A. Film Critics. Steven Spielberg publicly predicted the implosion of the film industry, which is sort of like God telling you to brace for rain. That was where I learned what Tinder was. Not like we should have paid more. I think what theyve understood is theres a sufficient number of people out there who want more challenging or different material. It was a perfectly good jet! Dont get left behind. Like, no way in hell. A24 took Ex Machina to the 2015 South by Southwest festival and built a Tinder chatbot with the face of Alicia Vikander to help promote the film. Karyn Kusama is a rapidly rising female director, and for good reason. Im glad it all worked out. Four short years later, the companys first original production, Barry Jenkinss Moonlight, won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The company has laid the groundwork to evolve from just another upstart distribution label into a multiheaded ministudio capable of developing its own contentand so far theyve done it by releasing movies that tend to earn more cultural cachet than they do money. Jenkins: We shot for five weeks, and they came down during the first week. As one of the founding members of the New York-based company, Hodges played a key role. we don't have a good idea of their yearly revenue either as the most recent stats were from 2012 estimating around $20 million, but that wasn't putting into account pure profit only the overall gross of all the films released that year. Aizenberg: I was already, like, putting together the distribution plans for Frances Ha. Katz: We have a better relationship with him now. We want to go two thousand screens. The things about it that didnt were what made me most excited, both for Moonlight and the future of a company thats confident enough in its sense of self to stretch toward something new. And I was with a bunch of friends, and we were in the south of Italy, and we were driving into Rome and I kind of had this moment of clarity. That was the first time it screened for U.S. audiences. Essie Davis is insanely good as a single mother on the brink of a mental breakdown as she attempts to care for her troubled young son. For instance, an actress. And there are studio subdivisions, like Fox Searchlight, that have consistently guided films like 12 Years a Slave and Birdman to Academy Awards and box office success over the past twenty years. The company, improbably, was based in New York, not Los Angeles. I say, Dont go there. Because what happened was, someone ran out with a red envelope. You know more than me.. We still dont. And Under the Skin, from Jonathan Glazer, is one of my favorite movies in the past 15 or 20 years, you know? Igoe: Even with Ex Machina at the time, we were getting bigger, but we still had that kind of start-up mentality that I dont know wed be able to get away with now. Franco: I remember the South by Southwest festival, the screeningit was like a rock concert. [23], On March 26, 2018, co-founder John Hodges announced that he was exiting the company. Over the past six years I have been fortunate to work with a diverse group of talented storytellers across film and TV and look forward to continuing those collaborations in my future endeavors.. Film-distribution companies tend to be important but invisible: They buy finished films, cut trailers, make posters, and put movies into movie theatersor, more often these days, dump them onto VOD, never to be heard from again. I dont mean it that way. Signup for Breaking News Alerts & Newsletters. Despite lacking any pre-defined structure, episodes generally contain discussions around recent works of the two guests, allowing for branching discussions to other areas. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED | TERMS OF USE|SUBSCRIBE|CONTACT. Over the past six years I have been fortunate to work with a diverse group of talented storytellers across film and TV and look forward to continuing those collaborations in my future endeavors.. But I feel that the fact that it was their first filmthere was a lot of idealism around the process. In the last 18 months alone,along with Room and The End of the Tour,it has pioneered the abortion comedy with Obvious Child, scored a commercial hit with the seductive thriller Ex Machina, released one of the most daring science fiction films this side of 2001 in Under the Skin, and driven the most lucrative documentary in years with Asif Kapadias Amy Winehouse portrait, Amy. Mr Katz had worked in film financing at Guggenheim Partners, and . Earlier this year I was drinking in a hotel bar with the head of another distribution company at a film festival. The world opened itself up. And it satisfied something they werent getting. And it just kept getting better and better and better. But we liked them. How do you know when an ad campaign is working? Franco: I would bet that [Alien] was one of the biggest, most popular Halloween costumes that year. Patrick Stewart (actor, Green Room): [The premiere of Green Room] was at the Toronto Film Festivals Midnight Madness.