So, by the time the Tony Awards have come around, you'll just be a big dollop of pure filth? Dec. 28 (UPI) -- Alex Brightman has announced he suffered a concussion during a stage mishap last weekend and won't be back in Broadway's Beetlejuice until he gets the "all clear" from. Andrew Gans Brightmans return is yet another chapter in the rather strange tale of Beetlejuice: The musical opened at the Winter Garden onThursday, April 25, 2019, to mixed reviews and so-so business, but word-of-mouth built steadily to turn the show into one of Broadways most popular new musicals. BEETLEJUICE will officially close on Broadway on Sunday, January 8, 2023. 2023 Deadline Hollywood, LLC. But what does it mean? If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Sara Krulwich/The New York Times By Sarah Bahr Published Sept. 13, 2021. March 3, 2023, By Logan Culwell-Block That fan base made its displeasure known on social media when any chance of a post-shutdown return to the Winter Garden were axed by The Music Mans announced arrival. Anyone can read what you share. The Grammy-nominated band will play through their discography in a five-night Broadway residency. Alex Timbers directs the musical, which features an original score by Tony nominee Eddie Perfect, and a book by Tony nominees Scott Brown and Anthony King. Apparently fans have been saying his name three times: Alex Brightman will return as Broadway's favorite ghost when Beetlejuice resumes performances this spring. The Britney Spears jukebox musical will arrive at Broadway's Marquis Theatre in May. February 21, 2023, By The new piece explores the effects of mass media with a story about a family tasked with filling the airwaves of a small-town TV station in 1959. Keep track of the shows booked into each Broadway theatre. Our website is made possible bydisplaying online advertisements to our visitors. I think people are coming to see the zaniness, the circus and the vaudeville and the dark comedy that is Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice, which was capitalized for $21 million and opened in April 2019, became a sensation on TikTok, which led to additional ticket sales. Logan Culwell-Block Margaret Hall, Beetlejuice producerMark Kaufman revealed that they had planned to film the Broadway production in April 2020, just before the Broadway shutdown. Logan Culwell-Block Brightman performs various physically exacting moves with large stage props during the musical. Leah Putnam That's just my method. a viral sensation that met an untimely end due to pandemic and production contract woes. February 23, 2023, By 48K 1.9M views 2 years ago Original Broadway cast members Alex Brightman and Sophia Anne Caruso sang the hit song, "Say My Name" from Beetlejuice at Broadway in Bryant Park. Wary Theater Rivalry Between London and New York Gives Way to a Boom in Crossovers, 'Tootsie' Star Santino Fontana on the Challenges of His Tony-Nominated Dual Role. Manage Settings He received a Tony Award nomination for his performance. Regional News Alex Brightman, James Monroe Iglehart, Leslie Kritzer, Rob McClure to Lead Spamalot at Kennedy Center. The show was nominated for eight Tony Awards, but won none. James Ijames' play arrives at the American Airlines Theatre in March. Continue with Recommended Cookies. All Rights Reserved. You get a lot of that in the movie. I think he is bad by nature of not knowing how to be good, because he has no heart and he has no soul. Now is your last chance to see this production on Broadway - learn how to purchase tickets! I come into a room full of people andtry be funny andorchestrate the show. Alex Brightman has announced via Instagram, that he is out of Beetlejuice after suffering a concussion on at the show's Christmas Eve performance. He is best known for his work in musical theatre, specifically as Dewey Finn in the musical adaptation of School of Rock and the title character in Beetlejuice the Musical. Broadway 's Beetlejuice star Alex Brightman, who suffered a concussion in an onstage Christmas Eve mishap, will make an unexpected return to the musical . Tickets for the run go on sale to Kennedy Center members March 1, and to the public March 2. The long-running production continues at the Ambassador Theatre. Only because I enjoy dark comedy and I enjoy pushing the envelope and seeing how far I can take things when it comes to comedy. I'm going to die after the show. At that time, he said hed be out of the show until getting an all clear from doctors, leading to some speculation that he wouldnt be back in the title role before the show closes this Sunday. 2023 Deadline Hollywood, LLC. As Alex Brightman disappeared through the doorway to the Netherworld one last time at the Marquis Theater on Sunday night, his black-and-white-striped Beetlejuice suit enveloped by a cloud of. What shows are about to close in New York City? An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Because you know we can be a little precious about our Tim Burton creations, right? | Sign up for Varietys Newsletter. The cast of the upcoming Broadway revival give a taste of what's in store for the new Broadway revival. We did the proper steps to get me to this evening. Its sad and a shame, and also, in its own way, historic, Hal Luftig, a Beetlejuice co-producer who has been working on Broadway for 30 years, said at the time. There wasn't a type anymoreit was just that you led the show. February 24, 2023, By TV credits include "Law &. T. Tom Millward January 25, 2022, 11:46. Its really fun when people can point that out. BEETLEJUICE stars two-time Tony Award nominee Alex Brightman . | "What I mean is that10 years ago my idea of a leading man was somebody whohad a six pack, looked like Gaston and could sing high tenor withno warming up. Our show does that and more within the first twenty minutes. In Washington, D.C., where we took it out of town, I was wearing paint on my teeth. I never want it to stop, and Im looking forward to doing a Halloween performance. March 3, 2023, By I go from green to purple to red to darker green to a more electric green, and theyre all different wigs. By subscribing, I agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. 20.). March 2, 2023, By He speaks to the audience directly often, and will make a few jokes and point to an audience member (sat in stage-right-side front orchestra) and say "this guy knows what I'm talking about." . TheatreWorks USA presents the family-friendly production at New World Stages. A post shared by Alex Brightman - Official (@brightmansomesay). March 1, 2023, By The first-ever Broadway revival of the beloved musical will have played 599 performances by its final bow this fall. Logan Culwell-Block February 27, 2023, By There are moments that are really quite touching. Leah Putnam There are currently around 36 shows on offer on Broadway at the moment. Alex Brightman will star as Sir Lancelot with Leslie Kritzer as The Lady of the Lake and Rob McClure as The Historian. I'll tell you exactly what - nobody expects this musical to have a beating heart in it. Joe Mantello will direct the Main Stem premiere of Levi Holloway's play. March 2, 2023, By Alex Brightman in Beetlejuice (Photo: Matthew Murphy) Before Broadway went dark, Beetlejuice was already preparing to play its final performance on June 6. It is your last chance to see Broadways BEETLEJUICE, which will continue haunting Broadways Marquis Theatre for 4 more weeks only through Sunday, January 8, 2023. Beetlejuice is back on Broadway withAlex Brightman reprising his Tony-nominated performance. He shared that he will be out of the show until he is cleared by a doctor to return. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Andrew Gans | And no, the actor doesnt realize how popular his El Tango de Roxane is on TikTok. Beetlejuice) as The Historian. | Following the COVID-19 shutdown, the show returned to Broadwayand brought the largest sandworm on the Broadway stage and the Netherworld back with it, re-opening April 8, 2022 at the Marquis Theatre with Brightman reprising the role of the titular poltergeist opposite newcomer Elizabeth Teeter (The Crucible, The Audience) as Lydia Deetz. | Margaret Hall The national labor union for actors and stage managers issued a statement following the events surrounding the first preview of the Broadway revival. Alex Brightman in Beetlejuice the Musical Alex Brightman Alexander Michael "Alex" Brightman is an American stage actor, best known for originating the role of Dewey Finn in School of Rock on Broadway [1] and Beetlejuice the musical. Deadline is a part of Penske Media Corporation. | In the movie, hes portrayed a little more predatorial. Andrew Gans If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. He was Tony-nominated for both Beetlejuice and School of Rock. Whats the secret to Beetlejuices hair? Our website is made possible bydisplaying online advertisements to our visitors. Salonga has also joined the producing team for the upcoming disco musical about former Philippines First Lady Imelda Marcos. I'm a very method actor (laughs) and I'm actually just going to drop dead after the show is done in 15 years! The Broadway-aimed Great Gatsby musical, which features music by Florence Welch, will make its debut at Cambridge's American Repertory Theater. March 1, 2023, By was set to be forced out of the Winter Garden. "I'm ambitious, but I'm totally realistic about what's going on and how many actors and creative people there. What do you think might surprise people the most about the musical adaptation? In your own opinion, why do you think people should choose a night out at Beetlejuice? The Jason Robert Brown-Alfred Uhry musical returned to the Main Stem February 21 following a 2022 run at New York City Center. But our show is doing something that no other show is doing this season, which is reminding people about life. Stars of the Broadway Center Stage 'Spamalot': Alex Brightman, James Monroe Iglehart, Leslie Kritzer, and Rob McClure. The remainder of the cast will be announced later this week. Tony nominee Alex Brightman reprised his role as the titular character, with Elizabeth Teeter taking on the role of Lydia Deetz. Meg Masseron, READ: Thank You, Five: Backstage with Beetlejuices Kerry Butler. The genre-defying work has transferred to Off-Broadway's The Shed. Details of what production spokespersons have called a mishap have not been disclosed. Is that really your hair? Logan Culwell-Block It had performed well in its initial run, but was set to be forced out of the Winter Garden in June 2020 as the Shubert Organization made way for The Music Man, a heavily promoted project that stars one of Broadways most reliable audience draws: Hugh Jackman. Additional casting will be announced at a later date. Video: Go Inside Rehearsal for CAMELOT on Broadway. It wasnt a discussion. After closing at the Winter Garden Theatre, Beetlejuice has found new life at the Marquis Theatre. Beetlejuice, a viral sensation that met an untimely end due to pandemic and production contract woes, is back from the dead. Also serving are Rachel Bauder as production stage manager, Catie Davis as associate director, Nancy Renee Braun as associate choreographer, and Jenny Gersten as line producer. | Meg Masseron When Lydia calls on Beetlejuice to scare away anyone with a pulse, this double-crossing specter unleashes a (Nether)world of pandemonium, and the biggest sandworm Broadway has ever seen. February 16, 2023. March 4, 2023, By The (mostly) Beetlejuice reunion replaces the previously announced Kiss of the . BEETLEJUICE tells the story of Lydia Deetz, a strange and unusual teenager whose life changes when she meets a recently deceased couple and Beetlejuice, a demon with a thing for stripes. That's right. Deadline is a part of Penske Media Corporation. March 1, 2023, By Playbill Staff Star of Beetlejuice The Musical and friend of the Institute, Alex Brightman, shares his healthy vocal technique for creating Beetlejuice's signature growl. Directed and choreographed by Josh Rhodes, the production will star two-time Tony Award nominee Alex Brightman (Beetlejuice) as Sir Lancelot, Tony Award winner James Monroe Iglehart as King Arthur . Logan Culwell-Block And he meant it. Alex Brightman gives the deadliest performance on Broadway in a good way in " Beetlejuice ." The big-budget musical adaptation of the 1988 film directed by Tim Burton has scored eight. One time I signed Beetlejuice three times on somebodys forehead, which I cant believe they asked me to do. Alex Brightman as the title ghoul in Beetlejuice during the shows initial Broadway run at the Winter Garden Theater. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. To tickets and more information, visit BeetlejuiceBroadway.com. Since then, Brightman has been hard at work perfecting his performance as "The Ghost with the Most" throughout workshops in 2017, a pre-Broadway run at Washington, D.C.'s National Theatre in 2018 and now on Broadway. Wayne Cilento directs the seldom-produced work, re-creating Fosse's original, 1978 Tony-winning choreography. Were you inspired by Michael Keatons performance from the movie? The musical, which premiered on Broadway in 2005, features music by John Du Prez and Eric Idle and a book and lyrics by Idle. Kinda nobody," Brightman said of returning to the musical. Rigid at the best online prices at eBay! Apparently fans have been saying his name three times: Alex Brightman will return as Broadway 's favorite ghost when Beetlejuice resumes performances this spring. Andrew Gans Adapted from the filmMonty Python and the Holy Grail, the musical follows King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table on their quest for the Holy Grail, complete with coconut-shell horse hooves, shrubbery, the Knights Who Say "Ni!," and more. VIDEO: FUNNY GIRL Announces Broadway Closing; New Performance Montage, McClure, Kritzer, Brightman, & Iglehart to Lead SPAMALOT. This production ended its run on Jan. 8, 2023. To play the frisky role, Brightman (School of Rock) dons Beetlejuices striped suit and an assortment of colorful wigs as he belts out ballads from the underworld. It was revealed today that two-time Tony Award nominee Alex Brightman will return to star as the title character in Beetlejuice when the smash-hit musical returns from the dead at Broadway's Marquis Theatre on Friday, April 8, 2022. | The actor in me wants to say hes not a villain, because I have to sympathize with my character to make him work. Annaleigh Ashford, Jordan Fisher, Gaten Matarazzo, and more co-star with Tony-winning Hamilton director Thomas Kail at the helm. Broadway 's Beetlejuice star Alex Brightman, who suffered a concussion in an onstage Christmas Eve mishap, made an unexpected return to the musical tonight for its final performances over the. Brightman must wait for approval. Logan Culwell-Block The platinum-selling vocalist will play Satine in the Tony-winning musical, opposite Derek Klena who will return to the show. (Laughs) A slightly different costume and a very different voice! February 28, 2023, By Margaret Hall, The complete curtain call from Alex Brightman's first show back after suffering a concussion at the Christmas Eve performance.Beetlejuice: Alex Brightman Lyd. I do, because I want to go out and get a coffee and not look nuts. March 3, 2023. March 3, 2023, By | Brightman will. Logan Culwell-Block How are you feeling? Based on the outcome of other live captures of musicals that have been released since then, he states that they are not currently planning on filming the Broadway production before it closes. Andrew Gans Logan Culwell-Block Wayne Cilento is directing the seldom-produced work, re-creating Fosse's original, 1978 Tony-winning choreography. Alex Brightman gives the deadliest performance on Broadway in a good way in Beetlejuice. The big-budget musical adaptation of the 1988 film directed by Tim Burton has scored eight Tony nominations, including best actor. January 9, 2023. (That musical is now set to begin preview performances on Dec. | Building back stamina, double (and triple) checking light & sound sensitivity, and finally having a 4.5 hour rehearsal yesterday to truly see what was possible. Even some improv, which is really fun. Blocking belongson the stage,not on websites. Logan Culwell-Block Margaret Hall Parade's producers, star Ben Platt respond. Alex Brightman has announced via Instagram, that he is out of Beetlejuice after suffering a concussion on at the show's Christmas Eve performance. As the run progresses, do you feel yourself degenerating more and more in real life? March 3, 2023. Performances of the Jessica Chastain-led revival began February 13. Signup for Breaking News Alerts & Newsletters. Copyright 1991-2023 Playbill Inc. All Rights Reserved. I'll just be one living, walking dumpster! Whats the craziest thing youve been asked to sign at the stage door? | Meg Masseron, When Lydia calls on Beetlejuice to scare away anyone with a pulse, this double-crossing specter unleashes a (nether)world of pandemonium. Andrew Gans Trust me - we have the purists covered! I've been really happy that that's been the case because I like doing it. The oldest and first dedicated online New York Theater Guide Read news on over 150 Broadway and Off-Broadway shows. The original Broadway production won three Tony Awards, including Best Musical. "Beetlejuice" will. But a slightly different costume this time around! Previews of the Jason Robert Brown-Alfred Uhry musical's revival were met by neo-Nazi protesters. It's a bright Sunday afternoon on his day off from rehearsals and previews of Beetlejuice, the high-energy musical adaptation of the 1988 . The Almost Famous star will play Marty McFly in the production transferring from the West End to Broadway this summer. Not only am I back in the same dressing room, but I have the same dresser and I even have the same window trimming. BEETLEJUICE stars two-time Tony Award nominee Alex Brightman, Elizabeth Teeter, Tony Award nominee Kerry Butler, David Josefsberg, Obie Award Winner Adam Dannheisser, Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer, Michelle Aravena, Kelvin Moon Loh, Zonya Love, Danny Rutigliano, and Dana Steingold, and features Kate Bailey, Will Blum, Ryan Breslin, Natalie Charle Ellis, Brooke Engen, Eric Anthony Johnson, Katie Lombardo, Andrew Kober, Elliott Mattox, Sean McManus, Mateo Melendez, Nevada Riley, Graham Stevens and Michael Bryan Wang. Margaret Hall Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy. All Rights Reserved. But he does smell worse than me! Its many, many different wigs that change throughout the show. I think people will be surprised that they're crying by the end. His father founded Continue with Recommended Cookies. Alex Brightman and the company of Beetlejuice, Elizabeth Teeter, David Josefsberg, and Kerry Butler in Beetlejuice, Alex Brightman and Elizabeth Teeter in Beetlejuice, Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer and Adam Dannheisser in Beetlejuice. Part of me wants to try it out, to see if I can go to Starbucks and if anybody bats an eye. Meg Masseron, March 3, 2023, By | They'll be joined by Tony winner James Monroe Iglehart as King Arthur. Send us a tip using our annonymous form. He shared that he will be out of the show. I have signed my fair share of body parts in Beetlejuice foreheads, shoulders and other parts. Im so glad you think its my hair. I'm on top of the world, man. | Signup for Breaking News Alerts & Newsletters. February 24, 2023, By Tony nominee Alex Brightman has shared via Instagram that he is out ofBroadway's Beetlejuice following a concussionsustained during a recent performance. The Tony-winning musical will play the venue's Eisenhower Theater May 12-21. The musical features an original score by Eddie Perfect, and a book by Scott Brown and Anthony King, with choreography by Connor Gallagher. Do you see Beetlejuice as a hero or a villain? It is the day-o fans have been waiting for. The creative team will also include scenic and projection designer Paul Tate dePoo III, costume designer Jen Caprio, lighting designer Cory Pattak, sound designer Haley Parcher, and wig designer Tom Watson. Last night the Great White Way was re-christened the Great Fright Way as the new Broadway musical Beetlejuice celebrated its official opening at the Winter Garden Theatre. | its initial engagement at the Winter Garden Theatre. As Alex Brightman disappeared through the doorway to the Netherworld one last time at the Marquis Theater on Sunday night, his black-and-white-striped Beetlejuice suit enveloped by a cloud of smoke, he uttered a few special parting words: "Goooodbye, Broadway!" And he meant it. Now is your last chance to see this production on Broadway - learn how to purchase tickets! I have new jokes and bits thatI'm getting encouraged to do on stage. Alex Brightman Reveals How He Got The Signature "Beetlejuice" Voice BUILD Series 428K subscribers Subscribe 5.3K Share 97K views 3 years ago Broadway superstar Alex Brightman discusses. A post shared by Alex Brightman - Official (@brightmansomesay). Alex Brightman Lays 'Beetlejuice' to Rest. It was difficult for the first couple days because I didn't know how to musical theater anymore. Sign up for reopening news, announcements, and exclusive discounts on tickets to your favorite shows! Beetlejuice debuted on Broadway at the Winter Garden Theatre March 28, 2019 where it opened April 25. Meg Masseron, Following roles in the likes ofWicked,Matilda, andBig Fish(another Tim Burton movie-to-stage adaptation), Brightman hit the big time by landing the leading role of Dewey Finn (originated on screen by Jack Black) in Andrew Lloyd Webber's muscial version ofSchool of Rock, which led to his first Tony Award nomination in 2016.