Epps and four beatnik friends live in a dingy basement rented out by Mr. Drysdale. She also recorded a few minor country records during the '70s and '80s. By what name was The Beverly Hillbillies (1962) officially released in India in English? Set a spell. Hapless viewers had to sit through nearly six minutes of a narrator's reciting 16 mundane "facts" (not all of them true) about the show before they finally got to the payoff teased by the video's title only to be completely let down when they were lamely informed (in the brief 20 seconds the video devoted to this topic) that "well, it wasn't actually one scene; it was the entire show.". [citation needed]. Jethro Bodine: But she's one of the bank people! Jed Clampett: I'd rather be caught twixt a pair of scrappin' bobcats than two women tryin' to run the same house. Jed Clampett: Well you see, Jethro's your cousin and that puts Jethro and her in the same well, never mind. Did Hulk Hogan or B.A. [Elly's chimp signs] I don't think the company would accept your signature. Milburn Drysdale: No, we had twenty-five years of happiness - then we got married. I'm a psychiatrist. Ha! "Weird Al" Yankovic merged the first two stanzas of the Ballad with the instrumentals to the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" for his 1989 single "Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies*", which was composed for his movie UHF. Mr. Pinckney: I shall fight you in the drawing room, I shall fight you in the bed chambers, I shall fight you in the kitchen, and I shall so bear myself that if Arthur Pinckney and his fame last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was his finest hour. 3 Must See Episodes | February 27 - March 5. He gets paid for bustin' up homes! Milburn Drysdale: I would like to say that I know Arthur Pinckney to be a man of good character, and I will vouch for him. Let's get us a bull. Justin Addison: Please believe me Mr. Clampett. The only thing we flushed out was a couple of real estate agents. He and his kin move to posh Beverly Hills. Throughout history, social workers who thought they'd help the mountain people often found themselves chased out of their cabins at the point of a shotgun. It's short. She's gettin' too old to be wearin' a man's duds. The theme song for the skit was termed "The Bel-Arabs". A smidgen is just a teeeenie, little bit, 3 midlin amounts equal one right smart and it takes 5 right smarts to make a whole heap., Granny says her grandpa had another sayin, Old violins make the sweeetest music course ya have to have the the right beau., from The Legend of the Beverly Hillbillies, 1993, CBS/Fox videos. Max Baer Jr., who . Watch The Beverly Hillbillies on MeTV! While the first five seasons of the series were undeniably the best, and the writing suffered by the late 1960s, "The Beverly Hillbillies" changed the face of television. The stereotype of hillbillies as being poor and socially backward might have elicited snickers among people in other regions (who naturally thought themselves of a higher social class than those backwoods hill dwelling hicks), but hillbillies were also noted for their independence and self-reliance. Colonel Blake: Now, let's take your application, you're going to be filling out a lot of other forms and I want to give you a tip. Cousin Pearl Bodine: Jethro, why don't you try usin' your head for thinkin'? Shorty Kellems: Then I offered her a $200 profit and she still said no. Baracus say these lines on The A-Team? Look at that headline, "Government Puts 3 Men on Moon". Updates? A good stout bull can take care o' hisself. Jed Clampett: Did you get our 45 million from Mr. Drysdale? 1995 - 2023 by Snopes Media Group Inc. Justin Addison: I am the supervisor of meteorological observations for this area. [Duke looks up and then goes back to sleep] Sorry old timer, I reckon what you was dreamin' had it beat. She's dangerous. Daisy Moses: Jed, it ain't legal to torture a man into marryin' you. I done picked out my present. Daisy Moses: I ain't conjurin' for Miss Jane. Jed Clampett: You know the Sibley sodbuster do you? I bet you can't even find my still. Bear in mind, we have not yet had lunch. Jethro Bodine: Hot dog! Jethro Bodine: [from the top of the stairs] Hey Uncle Jed, there's a whole 'nother house up here! I reckon i just gotta get used to bein' a monkey's uncle. Not everyone knows what a hillbilly is, so some might not get the context of the nonstandard terminology that youre using. :(, All of this food is eaten but not in the form of possum meat. The series rose to #1 in ratings within three weeks of its premiere, a feat that remains unmatched in television history. The popular sitcom "The Beverly Hillbillies" was canceled due to the fallout from a controversial scene. Granny: Elly May done popped the buttons off her shirt again. Jed Clampett: Well, Elly May carries herself proud with her shoulders thrown back. Milburn Drysdale: I've already thought of that. Can you name these celebrity guest stars who appeared on Wagon Train? Country folk might say they are "too big for their britches" or "high cotton". Milburn Drysdale: Miss Hathaway, cooks I can get by the dozen, depositors with 40 million dollars are not so easy to come by. Its not unusual for rural slang to develop. The Beverly Hillbillies theme song - lyrics on screen The Doccus Zone 196 subscribers Subscribe 117 11K views 1 year ago Sing along with the lyrics to The Beverly Hillbillies theme song! I can hide it no longer. Jane Hathaway: I too know Arthur Pinckney, and he is a man of unimpeachable integrity, impeccable demeanor, and irrefutable probity. Sign up for our weekly newsletters and get: By signing in, you agree to our Terms and Conditions Yummy! Clampett, that's Drysdale's star depositor. Jed Clampett: I'll need about 5 minutes with Mr. Drysdale. Milburn Drysdale: What a choice, I can listen to my wife or face an ugly mob. [citation needed] It was the first bluegrass record to top the Billboard country charts. Possum-belly Jam with Ham "Omy-let": Would you eat it? A nouveau riche hillbilly family moves to Beverly Hills and shakes up the privileged society with their hayseed ways. Jane Hathaway: When the other little kids played hide and seek, Little Milby started his first business. Lafe Crick: Now, no more a' this chasin' after other girls. Is this a business in Mayberry or a defunct American chain? Mrs. Margaret Drysdale: Sonny and I wouldn't think Milburn Drysdale: of passing up an invitation like that. Cousin Pearl Bodine: I happen to be on the sunny side of 45. He has pert near 50 million dollars in Mr. Drysdale's bank. Jed Clampett: I'm tellin' you Granny, you don't have to worry no more about Pearl comin' in your kitchen. He needs rent money ("green, bread, lettuce to feed the kitty") from the Clampetts but, once again they are confused by his slang-filled expressions and take him literally. Jed Clampett: I grant you all that Mr. Addison, but she's still my mother in law. The word hillbilly was first used in print (with a different spelling) at the turn of the twentieth century in a New York Journal article by political correspondent Julian Hawthorne, who was entranced by the word. Pert near cut in two by death rays, handcuffed to atom bombs, have iron hats throwed at 'em, but they wouldn't hold still for switchin'. Look around you. Daisy Moses: So, you've been wantin' to meet me have you? Mr. Pinckney: Consider me another Dunkirk. Jed Clampett: Dogged if that ain't got the Sibley sodbuster backed right off the floor. [starts measuring Jed]. Watch this. Mr. Pinckney: Fed Me? Not only does it work, but its so potent that the truck literally shoots off like a rocket the second Jethro starts the engine. Goat tastes like lamb, I've eaten it and it's delicious if someone knows how to cook it. Jane Hathaway: What precipitated the altercation? Corrections? I went down to the slue to shoot one, but just as I cut loose, that little varmint skedaddled, and oil come a oozin' outa that slue just like sorghum out of a leaky hog trough. Daisy Moses: Ain't there no limit to what these city folks will do for a dollar? I'll load my shotgun with rock salt and bacon rind and season his hind quarters for him. There's going to be a fight. Mauris viverra, urna et porta sagittis, lorem diam dapibus diam, et lacinia libero quam id risus. She set the cabin on fire. Justin Addison: Not now perhaps, but if she ever moves north, there's no estimating the damage she might do. Granny: You can quit hopin' and prayin' and if you keep messin' around with my kitchen, you ain't gonna git to be my age. Daisy Moses: [about champagne] It beats me how anybody can get juiced on that sody pop! Milburn Drysdale: J. D. Clampett thinks a market is just a place to buy "vittles". Mrs. Margaret Drysdale: Then I must tell you. Daisy Moses: I still say that ain't hill country shootin'. Milburn Drysdale: Now, on your way home, if you see anything you want for Christmas, just pick it up and charge it to me. Jed Clampett: We ain't shootin' at the board, Granny. Another name for promethazine w/ codeine; aka barre, lean, sizzurp, oil, purple stuff, Memphis mud, drank, purple jelly, etc. Even if youve only seen one episode of the show, you can quickly understand the premise just by listening to the song. , Hate to tell you this but most of it is real stuff that poor folks ate in the Ozarks in the Depression era. Justin Addison: Madam, you have my assurance there will be no precipitation tonight. Are you sure you want to delete this comment? How well do you know the multi-platinum band KANSAS? People tend to confuse hillbillies with rednecks, and although there can be some overlap (some hillbillies are rednecks and some rednecks are hillbillies, but a person doesnt necessarily identify as both), both groups tend to correct you very quickly if you make the mistake of assuming they're all alike. Daisy Moses: How can anybody eat soup made outa turtles? Jed Clampett: [checking the Map to Movie Star Homes] Let's see who they got here Joan Crawford Marlene Dietrich Greta Garbo. This Week on the Ed Sullivan Show- March 5th: The Mamas and the MeTVs got the Best Seat in the House! Black gold, Texas tea). Milburn Drysdale: I have a feeling that Granny's conjure is going to get action this time. On August 13, 2009, national broadcaster Q&A featured a spoof version of the song lampooning the then leader of the Australian Liberal Party Malcolm Turnbull by Stefan Sojka - Bellevue Hillbilly - making fun of his wealth, his relative unpopularity and his admission that he once tried cannabis. The Beverly Hillbillies 7.2 TV Series Elly May Clampett Maid Marian 1962-1971 273 eps The Twilight Zone 9.1 TV Series Debutante Janet Tyler (revealed) 1960-1962 2 eps Frankie and Johnny 5.5 Frankie 1966 Checkmate 7.7 TV Series Barbara Simmons 1961 4 eps Credits Edit Actress43 Soundtrack3 Self29 Archive Footage13 IMDbPro Expand below Actress Jed Clampett: Ah Mr. Drysdale, strictly speakin', I ain't a judge. Cousin Pearl Bodine: I've got Clampett blood in my veins. If only his beacon weren't so dim. Lawrence Chapman: [takes the phone] Hello Janie baby. Phrases that have nothing to do with the meanings of individual words are a big part of hillbilly slang. Jed Clampett: Oh I'd rather not, she'll be wantin' one. When you hear the picking of the banjo and the instantly recognizable baritone voice theres no denying it youre watching The Beverly Hillbillies.. It includes several phrases for everyday actions or items. The Beverly Hillbillies: Who Sang the Theme Song? Our editors will review what youve submitted and determine whether to revise the article. A banjo-dominated sequence occurs between verses and as the ending fade-out. So he said, Well, the premise of this show is that the Beverly Hillbillies are going to always be outsmarting the city slickers. Thank you. Jed Clampett: [Jethro has decided that he'd like to become a Bullfighter, and has asked Jed if they can get a bull, so he can practice. Epps is a stereotypical bearded Beatnik hipster in a dirty sweatshirt similar to Maynard G. Krebs from "Dobie Gillis". The Beverly Hillbillies. Jed Clampett: [to an obviously revolted Mr. Drysdale] That's the thing about salted down possum, it's just as good the second day. Grab a scrub bucket and get over there. Jed Clampett: Yep. Granny: But, Jethro'll go to fightin' it! In 1971, when "The Beverly Hillbillies" was canceled, "All in the Family" premiered. And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin' in. Dub Crick: [to his equally shiftless father Lafe Crick] I knew you'd be proud a' me it's the most I ever stole. Daisy Moses: One quarter? Jed Clampett: Wasn't too bad after Granny dumped the grits in it. One kiss and she spills the beans. Jane Hathaway: You're leaving the Clampetts? What is it supposed to be a picture of? Milburn Drysdale: Every kid had a lemonade stand. When Milburn Drysdale and Miss Hathaway go down to the Parthenon, they stop at the bottom of the stairs to talk to Sheldon Epps. While every effort has been made to follow citation style rules, there may be some discrepancies. Jed Clampett: Oh, it's got action before. Jethro: Aw come on, Uncle Jed. Jed Clampett: Granny, you ever hear of that dance? Me and Duke went as far back in the brush as you could go. Snopes and the Snopes.com logo are registered service marks of Snopes.com. Alcohol Is Gasoline: In one early episode, Jed and Jethro want to go to town, only to discover their faithful truck is empty.Jed resorts to pouring Granny's homemade hooch into the tank. Most successful TV series remain on the air as long as their ratings remain sufficiently high, but a video from the woefully misnamed "Facts Verse" YouTube channel implied that "The Beverly Hillbillies" was removed from the airwaves, despite its success, due to a "controversial scene": https://youtu.be/JkrOeOFzsT0 Jed Clampett: Oh well, I was wantin' the weatherman. Jed Clampett: [On Eb's intelligence, or lack thereof] Eb's a nice young feller, but if brains was lard, he wouldn't grease too big a pan. [hands Mr. Pinckney a check for $1000]. Male Bank Robber Also Masquerading: He's a double-zero if I ever saw one. Nose Doorbell Telephone "such a liar that he used to have to get somebody else to call his dog for him.". Theyre tough and hard working, but tend to be poorer than the average American. Daisy Moses: Ah, ain't that wonderful. "The Beverly Hillbillies Quotes." Jed Clampett: Now, hear me out. Daisy Moses: Cain't ya find any famous ones? It opened the door for creativity, wild plot lines and colorful characters that dominated television in the world of sitcoms of the 1960s. With pockets full of money, he packs up his family and heads to Beverly Hills, Calif. (Swimming pools / Movie stars), although he and the rest of his family never lose their sense ofSouthern hospitality., Louise Scruggs, Earl Scruggs wife, told NPR that Paul Henning, who wrote the song and created the sitcom, approached the men to perform on The Ballad of Jed Clampett., He called and wanted Earl and Lester to do the theme music, she says. The CBS sitcom told the story of The Clampett family and their hilariously fast ascension from abject rural. Throughout history, social workers who thought they'd help the mountain people often found themselves chased out of their cabins at the point of a shotgun. Jethro Bodine: That was Mrs. Drysdale. The Beverly Hillbillies. If you ask me, he ain't got it. that's the wrong way! Jed Clampett: This here is Jed Clampett. Daisy Moses: Maybe not, but there's gonna be a whole slew of rain. Mr. Cushing's a single man. Granny: It ain't her shoulders that have been poppin' these buttons. Jed Clampett: Well, ma'am, them's the kinda things a man likes to find out fer himself. Milburn Drysdale: Well all right, I'll have a check drawn up. Mrs. Margaret Drysdale: Listen, to get these peasants to move, I'd dance the Watusi with a keg of nitroglycerin. Yes! She's gonna be spendin' her time gittin' herself a husband with her singin' and yodelin'. I poured Chinese Restaurant Tea from the bargain Fiesta ware teapot that I found last fall at our church rummage sale. We served our plates with fried rice, lo mein, and sweet and sour chicken. I said "Help yerself, we're glad to get rid of the critters". You'll never get to heaven being L7. If youre interested in learning more about terminology specific to particular geographic areas, spend some time exploring Canadian slang by region. Colonel Blake: Name, address, date of birth, that's okay, but Jethro, where it says sex: write 'male', not 'oh, boy!'. And you ask should you move!? In spite of his sheltered ignorance of life outside his home in the hills, he had the steady, common-sense wisdom we all wish we had more of. American Slang. Justin Addison: You mean Hurricane Daisy? Justin Addison: Your speaking to him. Jed Clampett: Boy, I'm gonna give you 24 hours to clean up all this mess. Hillbillies are strong and individualistic, and have a good deal of pride. He usually agrees to some of each if we put the talking first and then watch something that we all agree on. Mr. Fleming Pendleton: Make a note of that. If they aren't really rich but act like they are I hear "hillbilly rich" used - example is a person with a $40K car and $20K home. Daisy Moses: Don't you call my beetles whatever it is you just called them! Daisy Moses: Well, the first thing to do is get her into a dress. We rated them in order of our taste. The song was sung by Jerry Scoggins for the beginning of the series, with instruments played by Flatt and Scruggs. Barnaby is on the case when a rich woman's affairs seem to be ending in terrible accidents. Jethro Bodine: That's the truth. https://www.quotes.net/movies/the_beverly_hillbillies_107012, https://www.quotes.net/movies/the_beverly_hillbillies_quotes_107012. Although the first two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies lapsed into the public domain, "The Ballad of Jed Clampett" did not and is typically edited from public-domain releases of these episodes. Milburn Drysdale: [dictating a letter to Miss Jane] and furthermore, if you are late on your mortgage payment one more time you will be thrown out into the street Jane Hathaway: Chief, she's eighty-five years old and in a wheelchair! Which brands used these commercial mascots back in the day? Milburn Drysdale: Well, how are you and Elly May Clampett getting along? Shorty Kellems: [to Jed and Shad] Let's play checkers. Jane Hathaway: Chief, most banks even give a holiday bonus. Cousin Pearl Bodine: Oh, I don't fight nobody twice my age! She always looks at me so funny. Jed Clampett: I know it don't sound like much, but Mr. Brewster seemed to set great store by the fact he's going to pay me in some new kind of dollar. Please reorganize this content to explain the subject's impact on popular culture, Learn how and when to remove this template message, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Ballad_of_Jed_Clampett&oldid=1136849731, This page was last edited on 1 February 2023, at 13:32.