Josh Rosen, 2.) They could also use a cornerback, but they at least have Josh Norman on one side and Fabian Moreau to develop. A project at the position won't cut it. Adding Ward would ensure their defense doesn't take a step back along the way. He doesn't see the field well and flat-out misses WAY too many big throws downfield. Dolphins can win with him, they just can't put it all on his back. Without Belichick, the Patriots dont hold the Seahawks and Falcons scoreless in the 4th quarter of those games and Brady wouldnt have been able to come back. Brees and Rogers are pretty close behind. RELATED: Bears land No. These are superstar traits. How many games has Watson played? The Lions need speed on the defensive side, and Alexander is one of the twitchiest, most explosive players in the draft. Brees August 23, 2018 at 11:52 am South Carolina's Hayden Hurst is the best tight end in the draftI see a more gifted Dallas Clark. What planet is Simms on? His results dont add up to TB12 or Wilson. Theres certainly some distance between the quality of #1 to #3. "The most confusing thing to me is that Sam Darnold is definitely the number one or two pick by everyone. On Wednesdays PFT Live, Simms unveiled his updated top 16, after four weeks of the 2018 season. Big reason why Zimmer has been building this defense. B/R's Matt Miller currently ranks Jackson as hisNo. He can make plays as a 3-technique. Irrelevant at 262. Vea's results speak for themselves, and he made for one of the most fun watches in my predraft process. 4. Im not arguing that Rogers isnt more gifted. What does Simms know about quarterbacks? On the latest episode of The Simms & Lefkoe. Chris Simms? Instead, the team should and will address its 30th-ranked run defense. Moore is the perfect weapon to pair with Ezekiel Elliott because opposing defenses will think twice about leaving him one-on-one in coverage. NBC Sports has you covered with all you need to know about this years draft coverage including the start times, full schedule, dates, TV channels, location, draft order and more. 9. Ryan You also should watch PFT Live every weekday morning from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. He's built a lot like Solder with long arms (34 ) and above-average height (6'9"). 6. 4. Cousins. These two picks, however, didnt quite pan out, as Fenimore played only 10 games and Harmon opted to leave professional football for a career in Hollywood and duty in the U.S. military during World War II. 1 overall pick would look like. Still, a positive mark on Simms' resume here. He'll be able to crack heads as a blocker and then go out and torch defenses off play action. Patrick Mahomes Is 2017 NFL Draft's Most Special QB Talent. The Packers need elite QB play on free plays and phantom facemask calls to win games. I can tell you two things for sure, though: Simms is definitely in the minority with the opinion that Wilson is a better prospect than Lawrence, and Simms has earned the benefit of the doubt with his recent QB prospect takes. Spoiler No. First, a reminder that Simms is pretty good at this stuff. In a draft where Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold were touted as the best prospects available, and were the first two quarterbacks picked, Simms had. Plus, BB has Brady not the other way around. In the SEC, that isn't easy. It doesn't make a lot of sense to try to determine which guys teams want when the first couple of picks could throw those desires out the window. IMO those 4 are on their own level. There's also the matter of Jackson's dynamic rushing capabilities, which allowed him to pile up 4,132 yards and 50 scores on the ground over three seasons with the Cardinals. Moore phenomenal at playing the ball in the air, and he'll make life easier on Dak Prescott. Lol, dude is a joke. The Minnesota Vikings are another team without many glaring needs. Then if its just Rodgers why cant they win that last 1-2 games to get them to the SB? ______________________________________________________________________________________________________. The unnamed Pats assistant'(gopher) in OConners book. Posting Freak. As will ones that have Mac Jones in the top-3, and Kellen Mond in the top-5. The Patriots have their next Solder sitting at No. And wasn't helped by a repetitive offense that was easy to figure out.But can't trust him. They hold the No. Viking fans will go nuts which is hilarious. 12. 2. Honorable mention: Winston, Goff, Carr and Mariota. Chubb actually reminds me of Giants edge-rusher Olivier Vernon. His ridiculously strong arm and running expand this offense.But I have questions. The team at NBC Sports EDGE has you set with this content hub as a one-stop-shop for all of your draft needs, from prospect rankings to mock drafts to NFL Combine notes, and more to come as we get closer to the big event in April. Register now! RELATED:What Colts offer to Bears for No. James doesn't want to just hit youhe wants to take your head off. 1. Smith runs second-fastest 40 by DL since 03, Saleh compares Carr to Stafford pre-Rams trade, Allen to be ready to roll for offseason program, How to maximize leverage of No. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________. On the latest episode ofThe Simms & Lefkoe Podcast, Simms said he's seen enough from Jackson over the last two seasons at Louisville to believe he has all of the traits necessary to succeed at the next level. Nelson is one of the best players in this draft, and he'll help the Broncos in two big ways. August 23, 2018 at 12:09 pm If you spend a few minutes on the internet, you're going to find a plethora of people trying to predict what teams will do when the draft kicks off Thursday. Last years 2022 NFL Draft saw DE Travon Walker taken as the No. The acorn fell far from Oak tree Phil. His results dont add up to TB12 or Wilson. Look at their stats and wins for the last three years and theyre nearly identical. Chris is really salty. The Cardinals have Sam Bradford and Mike Glennon, so Jackson will have time to develop. The Browns could win this draft by making this move. The biggest miss here is somehow nobody has told Simms that you dont button the top button of a shirt unless youre wearing a tie. But NO WAY Rodgers is #1! Allen has the highest ceiling, and he has the highest floor, too. Peyton Manning and Joe Montana could be in the conversation, but Brady has been far more successful. Plus, BB has Brady not the other way around. The skinny: Easily the most surprising selection in Chris Simms' quarterback rankings is Kellen Mond, a player considered a mid to lower-tier prospect two months out from the draft. Is Rosen the ideal prospect from an athletic standpoint? Be sure to followProFootballTalkfor breaking news, updates, and much more! Theres a lot of good quarterbacks in the NFL, Simms said. 6. They just gave a ton of money to Kyle Fuller and re-signed Prince Amukamara too, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to go cornerback. Rodgers is saddled with the second coming of Marty Schottenheimer. None of @CSimmsQBs contacts across the NFL have him ranked that high. The NFL analyst and former quarterback is known for his yearly QB draft rankings has a surprise pick at No. New York needs to add a player who can help it win now, and that's exactly what Barkley is. , Watch HERE: https://t.co/slMluF62PX pic.twitter.com/pfPlPyi02i, Sunday Night Football on NBC (@SNFonNBC) May 27, 2022, He has the talent to be in the Top 15. pic.twitter.com/dkzlcKeZEJ. Bleacher Report NFL analyst Chris Simms has Lamar Jackson pegged as the No. But he's not in the trust tree. He'll fit right in with Seattle's aggressive identity, and he'll help restore balance to the Seahawks offense. The play here is Mike Hughes from Central Florida. The Carolina Panthers could use help at cornerback and along the offensive line. He pegged Patrick Mahomes as the most special QB talent in the 2017 draft, ranked Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen as the two best quarterbacks in the 2018 draft class and had Justin Herbert as the second-best QB prospect in 2020 behind Joe Burrow. The biggest thing, though, is Evans is a three-down linebacker with good size (6'3", 234 lbs) and top-tier athleticism. [I've] seen him step on the pedal and throw the 100 mph fastball. Moore is the right pick here. Does he get them that far, or is it just Rodgers? Name another coach that allowed Colin Kaepernick to go for 444 yards.. Colin Kaepernick!!!!.. He also came into New England and lit up the Pats on Sunday night football. Watch more top videos, highlights, and B/R original content, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Book it. Daniels is a phenomenal player. Quarterbacks DeShone Kizer and Cody Kessler were traded to the Green Bay Packers and Jacksonville Jaguars respectively. Florida's Taven Bryan has the perfect skill set to fill that role in the Seattle-style defensive scheme the Falcons run. With Barkley and Odell Beckham Jr., New York could have the two best offensive players who aren't quarterbacks this season. =====. Hmm Andrew Luck, even tho he aint played for the past two years lol Chile, pleeze lol. They would get their signal-caller of the future and. In 2016, he completed 246-of-366 passes for 3,086 yards, 31 touchdowns and nine interceptions. Wynn has long arms, can move well in a phone booth and can drive defenders at the point of attack. A good week of interviews and workouts could help Jackson gain the traction he needs inside front offices.". He'll provide the same things the Redskins got from Su'a Cravens when he was healthy, but he'll do them better. "[Moving to wide receiver] is the dumbest f--king thing I've ever heard," he said. not that I particularly care what Chris Simms thinks about who the top 16 are. This is why Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield is still available at No. Wouldnt it make more sense to list some of the other great games that Simms has had? Chris Simms does not agree with the consensus and went against the grain (catching a lot of flak in the process) by releasing his QB prospect rankings for this year's draft today, listing BYU's Zach Wilson over Lawrence. McGlinchey is an athletic lineman. 1 overall pick would look like, Bears land No. August 23, 2018 at 11:21 am Trevor Lawrence is the most coveted quarterback prospect in recent memory. Mayfield is a pure thrower, and he'll have no issues cutting through the winter weather in Buffalo. Adding McGlinchey would give Shanahan what he likes and give the 49ers their heir at left tackle. He is one of the least talked-about prospects in this draft, but he deserves to go in the first round. 2005-2023 CBS INTERACTIVE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I am glad Chris Simms pulled his head out of his A*s to do the debate with Florio. He had 4 more passing TDs, big deal. They're not going to land an elite defensive back like Minkah Fitzpatrick there, though, so scooping him up here would be smart. Lawrence has been wearing the crown of the Next Big Thing for years. Vea may carry a lot of weight on his frame, but he's nimble and athletic. That could be with the Los Angeles Chargers. Why would you refute the statement that Phil Simms has had one great game in his life by posting the career statistics of Simms and Y.A. Chris Simms ranks the top 16 quarterbacks Posted by Mike Florio on August 23, 2018, 11:09 AM EDT Getty Images Last year, Chris Simms made waves by putting Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles at No. He reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton and while Dalton is a pretty good QB, I don't think if he were to be drafted today, he would be worth an early 1st round pick and more of a mid 1st. 24. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Flipboard (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), 2022 NFL Draft order: Complete list of every pick from Round 1 through Round 7, FMIA The Scourge of Draft Desperation and The Combine Without a Sure Thing, 2023 NFL Season Schedule: NFL Draft, Scouting Combine, free agency and other key offseason dates, 2023 NFL draft order is set: Bears draft first and Chiefs last, 2023 NFL draft order: Top 18 picks are set with Bears at No. ESPN's Chris Mortensen believes that the decision comes down to Darnold or Allen. The 2023 NFL Draft begins on Thursday, April 27 and ends on Saturday, April 29. You must be logged in to leave a comment. Allen may need a little time to adjust to the pro game, but he's the best fit for a Todd Haley scheme and for what the Browns will want to do offensively. He'll be in an offense that knows how to utilize all his skills, and he'll have other weapons around him to command defensive attention. Just mere months remain until the draft, as prospects gather to kickstart their careers and fulfill lifelong dreams. August 23, 2018 at 1:29 pm, Any fool who thinks Phil Simms is not a Top 50 all time QB is either 12 yrs old or as clueless about the NFL as a rock, Obviously anyone who is not a complete clueless clown has both Phil Simms and Y.A. I'd rather move Daniels to guard, then add another remaining guard or experiment with moving a guy like Isaiah Wynn from tackle to guard. Throwing and running, taking both of those into account thats part of the game right now in the 2022 NFL. This should help make the transition easy on New England's end. Landry is arguably the draft's most natural pass-rusher. It is also worth noting that he recorded an entire feature video for Bleacher Report ahead of the 2017 NFL Draft touting Patrick Mahomes as the most special talent in the draft. Learn how your comment data is processed. I think he's 7th best. The Packers were 7-9 last year and Rodgers played six full games. He's an elite athlete with fluid hips and great change-of-direction in coverage. LOL. I dont think theres anything he does elite physically. The New England Patriots have a few needs, especially after losing guys like Dion Lewis, Danny Amendola, Nate Solder and Malcolm Butler in free agency. I like to take into account highest potential (ceiling) so I'm not very high on Darnold as I think his ceiling isn't very high but his floor is 2nd highest behind Rosen. Carolina needs a downfield playmaker who can make an impact right away. It was a little less than 56 minutes through, but still really bad and on the worse stage. Barkley is going to be even better with the Giants than he was in college. This is why Fitzpatrick makes so much sense. The Dallas Cowboys could use a middle linebacker, but that's a need they can address in the second round. Great point. Patriots fans will go nuts which is perfectly understandable. The guy has been outcoached too many times for this to be a coincidence. Garoppolo There has been talk that the Jets like Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield, but the UCLA product is the most ready to play right away. It could also go cornerback, but there isn't one worth taking this high. Cleveland gets its quarterback and the Titans get extra draft capitalit's a win-win. Now if you taking about who is better all. Wynn will help improve the Buffalo running game and will help protect AJ McCarron and/or Mayfield from the interior pass rush. But he still has a question mark in the pocket #SimmsTop40. Hell be on the list by the end of the year, Hell be on the list by the end of the year Wilson Decision-making, accuracyyou never know what to expect from him. Lamar Jackson. He is that gifted of a runner.". The first draft in NFL history took place at Philadelphias Ritz-Carlton Hotel, where the nine teams in existence at the time gathered to select from a pool of 90 players. Always quick to discount any success and just give it to scheme and coaching. This isn't to say Ridley won't be a great NFL receiver. This year, Simms has gotten started with the top 16. RELATED:FMIA The Scourge of Draft Desperation and The Combine Without a Sure Thing, RELATED: 2023 NFL Season Schedule: NFL Draft, Scouting Combine, free agency and other key offseason dates, Players are invited to the NFL Combine by the Player Selection Committee which is made up of directors of both National and BLESTO scouting services. He reminds me of Richard Sherman when he was coming out of Stanford, only more athletic and more explosive. Patriots fans will go nuts which is perfectly understandable. Simm's ranking probably won't. Aaron is great, for sure, but to put him above Mahoes and Goff this year is unreal. They aren't one defensive back away from having a good defense; they're several away. I cannot say definitively that Simms is wrong to think this because he, as an analyst for NBC, has spent far more of his time breaking down prospects than I probably ever will. Jun 22, 2020. Wilson In addition, Rosen has the personality and maturity to handle playing in front of the New York media. New Orleans wants to balance the run and pass, so Hurst is a natural fit. Rogers = Dilfer. With the real thing just weeks away, its never too early to start putting together mock drafts. Here's where I would say the QBs are best to be drafted at. When asked to rank the quarterbacks, they were as follows: The Cleveland Browns have the No. Baltimore needs to find that guy on its front seven that every other team will fear on a weekly basis. Yes, it could go secondary, but Oakland has drafted safeties the last two years, has Reggie Nelson on the back end and took cornerback Gareon Conley in the first round last year. Not a member? These rankings are borderline ridiculous. Chris Simms like most of these commentators are to be taken with a grain of salt. I dont think so. Sure, but the quarterback position isn't set for the long term, and Jackson is the signal-caller with the most upside in the draft. A really good arm, good athlete, but too careful at times (a little like Teddy in that respect).#SimmsQBCountdown, #35 Davis MillsUp and down early last season, but came back a different player down the stretch. August 23, 2018 at 11:46 am When Simms ranks RBs or defenses, where oh where will the Packers be? Bryan will be able to make plays next to Jarrett and then kick out to end to bolster Atlanta's pass rush or anchor against the run rotation if needed. 11. Wentz Good decision maker, good in the pocket, and a leadership and moxie that is rare for a backup. 26-28 at AT&T Stadium in Dallas, Texas. Getting a No. In recent years, however, the line has been a joke, and Russell Wilson has been running for his life. Arizona is also a perfect situation for Jackson. He'll instantly improve the Washington defense. Philip Rivers is 38, but he has at least a couple of quality seasons in him, and he'll be a great guy for Darnold to learn behind. The next big thing would be the mental aspectThird would be leadership, the effect you have on the football teamand the last one to me would be pocket presence, because there is something to thatThose four things to me are really the way I break it down.. Six years prior to Fenimore, the Bears chose Tom Harmon with the No. The Vikings had more injuries than the Packers and went 13-3. 14. Rodgers He fights for his life every season and doesnt win when it counts. Rodgers hasnt had enough good performance on the road or coming from behind to put him ahead of at least 5 or 6 QBs on the all time list despite his unbelieve throwing ability. I wish Vander Esch was a bit more physical, but that often develops at the pro level. I think Cousins will move up this on this list next year just because hes playing on a better team. However, I don't spend hundreds of hours trying to figure out what teams are thinking or how they view prospects. Mayfield is coming around, but as of now definitely belongs behind those two, and Simms was ahead of the curve. 3 overall, everyone knew it was to get a quarterback. Name another coach with 5 walk off postseason losses? The Dolphins could go quarterback here, but if I'm in charge, I'm sticking with Ryan Tannehill and addressing other needs. Hernandez is also a tremendous athlete for his size. So heres a Vikings fan going nuts I guess. James is a tremendous safety. You can see who did by checking out the segment, and you can chime in with your thoughts regarding the sanity or lack thereof regarding his selections in the comments. The game is the game in sports media, after all. Vince Williams was OK, but he wasn't good enough in a Steelers defensive scheme that places heavy importance on the position. The Buccaneers have watched Vernon Hargreaves struggle at times, Brent Grimes is nearing the end of his career, and there is nothing special at the safety spots. Ward isn't my favorite corner in this class, but that's a reflection on the quality of this corner class and not necessarily a negative on Ward. Good offensive line play has been one of the biggest keys to New England's success over the years, and losing Solder shouldn't be overlooked. Former NFL quarterback Chris Simms made waves last year by placing Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles at No. 2) Brady So, what will happen this year? Chris Simms probably is the best quarterback scout in media today. Miller is the second-best tackle in the draft for my money. ======. Too funny. Stafford Reminds me of Tony Romo in that regard. He was the highest rated post-season QB of all-time just a couple short years ago, currently 5th, percentage points behind the active leader. Chris Simms Position Rankings through the years. In this situation, though, I have to go with the guy who's most pro-ready and can help Cam Newton immediately. Im a Vikings fan and I think Rodgers is the best QB in the league. Not really. Last year, he had Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert as his top two prospects. He's a tremendous athlete, he's physical and he'll be able to do everything the Steelers ask him to do. I mean, that could be a part of the equation. Chris Simms: Sam Darnold is the fifth best quarterback By Josh Edwards Apr 2, 2018 0 Chris Simms spent eight seasons playing in the NFL with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos and. Simms had one great game in his life, in the Super Bowl, kind of like Timmy Smith for the Redskins. RELATED: Dvorchaks 2023 NFL Mock Draft 1.0. 13. If I'm Philadelphia, I'm adding another explosive playmaker at receiver. Baker Mayfield, 4.) It makes more sense, though, to make a pick that helps them get back to their defensive identity. The clear implication is that Simms was a top 50 quarterback because he has similar career statistics to Y.A. Great in the pocket, makes Top 10 QB high-end plays, and ditched some no-risk-it-no-biscuit bad habits. Rodgers is saddled with the second coming of Marty Schottenheimer. Like the Jaguars, the Philadelphia Eagles have the freedom to make a luxury pick in Round 1. If youre going to rank the best quarterbacks in the NFL right now, the criterion should be what quarterback would you want playing for you in a Super Bowl. This is where Ward comes into play. 12K 911. ajzinnecker says: . 1 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, The team at NBC Sports EDGE has you set with this content hub. 26. I also think he is the only reason Green Bay isnt 7-9 every year. At this spot, Boston College's Harold Landry is the perfect mix of player, position and value. For me, the closest thing to a need for Jacksonville is nickel corner, as the team lost Aaron Colvin during the offseason. If you can't win in man, he doesn't believe you can win. ZenMaster. Live coverage will be available on the NFL Network see below for the 2023 NFL Combine schedule. Book it. He was also a pro quarterback, so there's that too. 9. Simms' rankings probably won't sit well with Vernon Adams. I could see them going tight end, too. 3. NFL analyst Chris Simms has taken a lot of heat over the past 24 hours for his controversial QB rankings.