Sprint Duathlon Training Plan 06 Weeks (2.5 hrs/wk - 16 hrs) Heart Rate Base $ 45.00. To download Weeks 13-18 for FREE, Click Here! In mutlisport races, though, drafting is almost always illegal. less -3 years ago, THANK YOU!.. Feel strong and confident. Then 6x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS. You are not allowed to ride your bike out of the transition area. Rest and recovery is just as important as training. You dont need any of this gear, but it could make your race and training that much more comfortable. Running Sessions vary from 30min - 50min. Youll also probably have eyes on other athletes and be able to follow them too. Bodyfeed Add to cart; Unlimited Training Plans $ 39.99 / month. I have over 20 years of experience helping amateur athletes surpass their goals, while still making sure they have quality time available for their family, friends and career. (8 sessions in total per week). There are different duathlon distances depending on the specific race, the area/course, and the race organizer. Rather than instead of them. Allison: My coach will plan the program for me through training peaks. Each one has been excellent in terms of the progressive plan itself but also in terms of the reading that comes with it. 10' cd. There are a few standardized duathlon distances. Be sure to consult your doctor prior to beginning any new exercise program. This includes common race distances, the breakdown of the race, some training and race day tips, and clothes and gear you might want to purchase. We review training, gear you'll need, plus getting ready on race day. This 10-week plan puts together all the fundamentals of a structured training plan. That tri race is only swimming and biking, no running. Dont mount your bike until you reach the designated area where you are allowed to do so. the5krunner - Endurance Tech, Fitness + Health Tech and getting faster Gym access not required. Practice your transitions during your brick workouts, too. It is doubled to a 40-week training plan. Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs. It is the last leg, so give it everything you have! Four weeks is not a large amount of time to transition seamlessly into a duathlon but as long as you've been training regularly through the summer, and don't have any underlying injuries, then it's long enough. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.Budget at least 12 weeks to train for your duathlon. Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. The first step of the plan starts with, acclimating. I've now smashed my race season goals, already getting the Sub 5hr 70.3 and even got the percentage I needed to attempt qualification for the ITU European Championships. This plan uses heart-rate training zones for intensity specific training. The Base Phase will take you through three 4-week cycles. If that means you need to walk for a Ratings: 617 Courses 279 View detail Preview site I have represented South Africa in Triathlon, Duathlon and Biathle. Duathlons are the same way in that there are really 5-6 components, depending on how you look at it: This is the time to set your stuff in the transition area. I was initially apprehensive about purchasing a generic training program, but had been recommended Phil and team. 4/27/2009 12:49:15 AM . Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps. Thank you, {{form.email}}, for signing up. 10' wu, 10' cd. Edinburgh Duathlon held in East . For beginners or injury-prone athletes, though, almost all your workouts might be comfortably-paced. It tries to give you the best of all worlds. when you click on some of the links in this post. Not for the newbies out there, these training schedules are designed for the super experienced. To download Weeks 1-12 for FREE, Click Here! However, if you feel that this plan is significantly below your training abilities, its best to find a plan developed for more advanced athletes. Supersapiens is the. Heart-Rate training This plan uses heart-rate training zones for intensity specific training. Unsubscribe any time. If you dont have one of those, though, a hybrid bike or a mountain bike is completely acceptable to use. After wu, do 4x20" fast with a full recovery between each. Find out how to leave us a gift, Learn to do CPR and use a defibrillator in just 15 minutes on your mobile or tablet. I've used a number of different plans read moreHi Phil, Just wanted to say great job on your training plan. This plan is intended for individuals already exercising and wanting an introduction plan for a standard-distance duathlon (10km run/40km bike/5km run). (Thats not just a suggestion either race organizers will not let you participate in any duathlon without a helmet). Think about form and running pretty. Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday 1 Bike-Intervals 20min (8-10) + Bike-WF 20min (6) . This run is easy, low Z2, focus on form. (8 sessions in total per week) It involves 6hours 30min to 8hours of training per week and 1 rest day per week. All Rights Reserved. Between the reps in the main set, rest for about 10-15 seconds. Quickly view upcoming workouts in the TrainingPeaks app. The earlier you start training for your target event, the more time you can build up your fitness gradually. Theres no speedwork or intervals used; instead the plan focuses on simply ensuring you train five days per week and stick with it. Verywell Fit articles are reviewed by nutrition and exercise professionals. If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Don't forget to plan your duathlon race day in [] I would recommend you to anyone. I am looking forward to coaching you in this process and I am confident that if you follow the program I've outlined, use it as a blueprint for success and train with focus, dedication and a sense of purpose, you'll achieve great results! If you swim, already play other sports or weight train then try to blend the duathlon training into your existing schedule. Once off your bike, walk it into the transition area and re-rack it in the correct spot. 8x1 minute sprint, with 2' recovery. uch as, during the off-season, or anytime youre taking a break from racing. You're going to want to run at least 2 hours a week even for a sprint du, so that would put you at a MINIMUM 12 hours per week following that ratio. Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule. Phil is my first port of call for a plan and the person I would recommend first to others. My program is amazing and I am improving all the time. Jan 2017 - Mar 20173 months. Ride on a flat course. Brick workouts include training from two disciplines. $89.25. If you want to keep your eyes safe as youre powering through the bike portion, sunglasses are a must. I have recommended Phil's plans to other triathletes who have all reported equally positive experiences. Unlike triathlon, though, only two disciplines are involved. Discounted TrainingPeaks Premium (optional). This plan was based upon a 20-week training schedule. Many newcomers get overwhelmed by the cycling leg and assume they need a fancy bike but thats not the case at all. Plan 3: Detailed Plan Intro . Similarly, you cant ride back into the transition area. Now you can remove your helmet. So,to maintainthis great customer service and to support our coaches, onDec1stwereincreasingboth price optionsby $5 per month, or by $4 per month if you pay annually (but for all existing Unlimited Athletes, to give a fair warning, renewals will not increase in price until Feb 1st, 2022). It's possible that for the lucky few who have completed their first duathlon or triathlon in a brilliant time and felt like they could push themselves harder; these training schedules may also be suitable. In this article, we cover what you need to know to prepare for your first duathlon. Good Luck in your Intermediate Distance Duathlon!Train Smart,Mike Ricciwww.D3Multisport.comUSAT Level II CoachUSAC Expert Coach. And again, let others know that youre passing by saying, On your right!. All it requires is a little motivation and consistent training. However, in shorter distance duathlons, it may be the same length as the second run. However, if youre new and arent sure about shelling out money, any clothing that will be comfortable running and biking is totally fine. . So our goal here is to get you from a minimal fitness level to crossing the finish line. May 17, 2017 Meredith Atwood Whether youre a new athlete that just signed up for your first race, or youre a triathlete looking to mix up your event calendar duathlon can be an exciting multisport challenge. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. If its your first duathlon, you dont have to buy a fancy new bike. Our Standard and Masters plans are designed to get you ready for your target event, while our Off-Season plans allow you to recover from a tough season but still maintain your well-earned fitness. Choose your 4-40 week training plan With 300+ expertly-crafted plans in beginner, intermediate or advanced, we have a plan to suit you. Its ok if you have to use the run/walk method for the running (more on that below). Phil's plans have enough variety to be interesting and yet enough commonality for progressions to be seen and felt. This normally involves harder efforts with frequent rests, once youve done a good warm up. Remember to check whatequipment you will need to get started. After 10' you should be at race pace - remember to hydrate and run even paced. I have recommended Phil's plans to other triathletes who have all reported equally positive experiences. You need a good level of basic fitness before you begin on a training schedule. Run #2 is after Bike. Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule. Brage's first tip is not to get carried away by the sometimes-intimidating world of expensive duathlon kit. is good or the spirnt/olympic plans on TR. This is a best practice to make sure you dont accidentally forget it and have to go back, wasting time. It's important to listen to your body and find a good balance between training, rest, work and play. Your plan kept me motivated and helped me improve my results. An optional fourth easy run is provided throughout the weeks for those who can give an extra hour per week. Just like triathlon distances, the variety of duathlon distances make it a great race for beginners, advanced athletes, and anyone in between. The Get Round plan is for the novice duathlete, perhaps a runner, biker or fitness enthusiast having their first foray into multisport who, already in regular training, is able to commit to 5-6hrs per week (four workouts). Advanced Standard Duathlon Plans Middle Distance Duathlon Plans When your feet are clipped to your bike, you can put power into both your upstroke and your downstroke. This 12 week sprint distance level duathlon training plan is designed to help get you in shape for a duathlon of the following distance 5km Run 20km Bike 2.5km Run You'll start training in zone 2 and gradually progress over the weeks into zone 3 and zone 4 and racing pace sessions. 2023 The Wired Runner. 5' hard (at LT), 3' easy (zone 2). The 4 week duathlon training plan here is based on the intermediate triathlete who has a foundation of training hours in the bank. Please note: duathlon is quite different thing from the aquabike. This ensures youre used to the feel and handling of your race-day bike. A typical event might look something like this: Sometimes, though, both run legs are equal distances. Dec 2018 - Present4 years 4 months. Duathlon is a multisport event for athletes of all abilities. $4.95. During training, you will learn very quickly how your legs react to getting off the bike and starting a run. Donate your items, We fund research into a broad range of heart & circulatory diseases across the UK. Warm up for 10'-15' before the race and do 3-4 quick pick ups - stay loose and calm. The purpose of this plan is to complete a short course duathlon. 15-20 minutes) within the total time. If you are struggling to run the entire time during any run workout, its completely OK to include walking breaks as needed. We raise money to research cures and treatments for the worlds biggest killers. Let the HR get up to high Z3/low Z4 on the uphill and keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise. I can highly recommend Phils training plans . Eating on a bike is far easier than trying to fuel during a run. Take off your helmet once your bike is racked, and change back into your running shoes. I had a great race, same time I did 4 years ago but faster run this time, being 64 next week and running sub 24 for 5k off the bike is a wow for me. These typically involve a 5km run, a 15km cycle and a 2.5km run. The duration of your runs and rides will depend on your current fitness level and the type of duathlon youre training for. The program should be fairly balanced between core and strength training. Carriage House Consulting. Edinburgh Council employs a voluntary body to oversee the project to plan for Gorgie Farm's future. Riding after a run feels harder than normal, so its good to practice it first. Reviewers confirm the content is thorough and accurate, reflecting the latest evidence-based research. I have gradually improved technique and fitness for sure, but I have also learned a lot and that is an important part of the journey for me. Nudity in the transition area isnt allowed, so you shouldnt be trying to change clothes. For a very simple beginner approach, aim to workout 4-6 days per week. Try to run race pace for at least 10-12 minutes. I also bought your Ultra marathon plan and can't wait to start it soon. between circuits. . Whenever you are holding onto your bike, you need to have your helmet on. You must have three items in order to compete in the race: running shoes, a bike, and a helmet. Its important to train your legs to run coming off the bike, so include at least a few brick workouts in your training schedule. The idea was developed by Dick Button who shopped the idea to all three U.S. television networks. Its especially important for a duathlon. As a runner, you know the importance of pacing yourself well at the beginning of a race. Learn more here, The Wired Runner In this training article, I will share you a sample 4-week training plan that will help you prepare for a duathlon event in one month. Dynamic Running Warm Up Exercises with Videos are included to prevent injury and make sure you get the most out of your sessions. If you take the time to train properly and make the most of the transition time, youre sure to have a great time at your first duathlon. Blue Dot Media Safety Training. Beginners may need multiple rest days per week. This helps you get used to the heavy-legs feeling and is also a time efficient way to train. Loving the program. Activate your free TrainingPeaks account Stretch when done and add in Core 1, 2 or 3. Verywell Fit's content is for informational and educational purposes only. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Training Plan: "3 Run 13.1 Lite" This plan offers the same level of intensity as the 3 Run 13.1 but over a shorter time period. WU: 10' then 12x400 at 10k race pace. WU: 10' then 4x400 at 10k race pace. At 64 im racing as I did in my 40s . Check tire pressure and make sure handlebars, stem, skewers are all tight. BT: Long warm-up of at least 15-20 minutes. Cycling fitness is much different than running fitness, and race day is not the time to discover this very important distinction. Its also good to include some harder efforts, interspersed with plenty of easy stuff. I've now smashed my race season goals, already getting the Sub 5hr 70.3 and even got the percentage I needed to attempt qualification for the ITU European Championships. We take your privacy seriously. Premium. 2023 Dotdash Media, Inc. All rights reserved. serious cyclists ride with clipless pedals, 14 Tips To Improve Your Triathlon Swimming, Super Sprint: 2.5k run, 10k bike, 2.5k run. Over the last 10-days Ive been testing the new Supersapiens glucose monitoring system, designed for endurance athletes. Run 60' on a hilly course or treadmill. Hello, A huge thank you! These 12-week duathlon training plans are aimed at either getting round, or racing harder. This was the third plan that I have purchased from Phil. 10 June 2016. . This table provides a brief overview of which level might be right for you, to help you get the most out of your plan. A pacing only workout - no concern for speed. Thank you Phil! 10' cd. THANK YOU!.. Ride #1 is 60' ride on a hilly course. We work closely with university partners to offer affordable, quality . If you have not taken part in another cycling, running or swimming event you'll find it really beneficial to incorporate doing so in your training. Your gear needs to be easily accessible, allowing you to spend the minimum time possible transitioning. Please read our advice and disclaimerhere. Okehampton, Devon. This is why it should be the first thing that you put on when you hit T1 and the last thing to take off when you hit T2. Sprint distance duathlons are excellent introductory events for those who want to try their first multisport event. 5 days ago Web Specific Training Tips For Duathlons Around 85% of your training should be done at an easy pace, where you can maintain a conversation. A typical event might look something like this: 1.5 mile run 12 mile bike 3 mile run Sometimes, though, both run legs are equal distances. As a new athlete, your goal is to get from a base aerobic fitness level to the level needed to cross the finish line. (845) 859-9206. Phone lines are open Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm, Catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia, Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), TAVI (Transcatheter aortic valve implantation), Volunteer and power our lifesaving research, Cross Party Group Inquiry into Atrial Fibrillation in Scotland, Cross Party Group Inquiry into High Blood Pressure in Scotland, Book a free furniture and electrical goods collection, Donate safely to our clothing and book shops, Donate safely using our house clearance service, Operating a safe delivery service for our home stores, We work with patients and the public for better health and care, We fund research to save and improve lives, CureHeart a future cure for inherited heart muscle diseases, Research Excellence and Accelerator Awards, Turning back the tide on heart and circulatory diseases, Intermediate ten-week duathlon training plan, Intermediate ten-week triathlon training plan, Advanced ten-week triathlon training plan, Triathlon and duathlon training schedules. In fact, a well-executed strength-training program can allow you to carve up to 25 percent out of your swim, bike and run volume while improving performance and enjoying better race-day results. beginner duathlon training plan getting started Goal of this plan. 10' CD. As a coach since 2000, and with a National Championship to my credit, I've crafted several different plans to get you to the finish line fast. On the opposite extreme if you feel as though you need help in one area or the other, you may want to drop a workout that you are strong in, and add an extra where you are weaker. Its generally better to follow a pre-planned workout, rather than just riding along aimlessly. - I'm in top form and looking forward to my A race of IM Vichy later this year! Most duathlons in the U.S. are mass starts, meaning everyone begins the race at the same time. For your recovery, you can walk back to the starting point. Its a piece of clothing that is either one or two pieces and dries quickly. Since this is a basic program and some athletes may not be able to complete the test outlined in this article above, I thought it would be best to leave out the testing in the program. Keep HR in Zone 1-2. If youre new to a duathlon, plan to train for 12 weeks. As soon as you reach your bike, put your helmet on first. Elite; Age Group; Paratriathlon; Events; Events. I was initially apprehensive about purchasing a generic training program, but had been recommended Phil and team. Our ten week training schedules will help kick-start the training you will need to complete your triathlon or duathlon challenge. 5' cd. Our ten week training schedules will help kick-start the training you will need to complete your triathlon or duathlon challenge. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. While you may see elite athletes cruising by on expensive bikes, you do not need any type of specialized bike to do your first duathlon. You must dismount in the proper area and walk it to the transition area. For the competitive athletes, tri suits are useful as they reduce drag compared to other clothing options. Phil is my first port of call for a plan and the person I would recommend first to others. Note: Ride or run the designated duration at a steady, comfortable pace Ride, run or swim the desingnated duration at a steady, moderate pace This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author. 2007 - Present16 years. The maximum volume is around 7.5 hours toward the middle the 12 weeks and most of the weeks are around 5-7 hours with some lower volumes thrown in there in the beginning and toward your race at the end. All of the key rules will be in your pre-race packet and you can brush up on them prior to the event. Find race rules, gear tips, and even a beginner duathlon training plan to help you complete your first event. Heres how to understand the age-groups and, who knows, maybe even qualify for the IRONMAN World Champs in, Supersapians, game changer or gadget? You can wear any type of running clothes, like a shirt and shorts/leggings, to participate in the event. We suggest you only do strength work in addition to at least two runs and two cycles per week. The race can be completed with a: A triathlon bike or road bike will be your best bet for the fastest speed during a duathlon. Warm up for 10' before the race, make sure your bike is shifting properly and nothing is loose or rattling. Youll likely want to start doing run-to-bike brick workouts, and then do bike-to-run. The ultimate 12 week triathlon training programme A A Hoeft Triathlon Training Schedule Training Plan Running On Treadmill Running Workouts Duathlon Training For the Oct. 26th race! In general, about 70-80% of an athletes workouts should be comfortably paced, with 20-30% focusing on developing speed. Currently, training plans are set for events coming up in 12 weeks or 16 weeks for a full distance duathlon. Youll just expend a bit more energy (but youve got it in you)! After you finish the run, youll race to the transition area to get ready to bike. Our online training plans include speed sessions, easier aerobic workouts and regular recovery periods, so you improve consistently throughout. This was the third plan that I have purchased from Phil. Weeks 4, 8, and 12 are recovery weeks and the final one is a taper week.