'They were saying 25 people were dead and I remember thinking at one point, if Dylan is really hurting people the way they're saying he is - I prayed that he would die.'. It remains the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history. Sue Klebold is the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of the two shooters who committed the Columbine High School massacre, murdering 12 students and a teacher. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. We were finally by his side, a family again. Byron indicated the last time he saw Dylan was on their fathers birthday. Dylan Bennet Klebold Born: 9-11-1981 6 feet 2.5 inches tall, 143 lbs. Older brother, Byron, reading The Transformers animated series book while Dylan intently listens with posed, expressive fingers. Unlike those people afflicted with . My fav. I smoothed Dylans hair and kissed his forehead, searching his face for clues and finding none. After Columbine, local evangelicalswho said the shootings were the devil's work and who used the tragedy as an opportunity to bring people to Jesusinfuriated him. Press J to jump to the feed. But I never thought it would hurt that much.. His father was very enraged that day, asking who would give his son a gun. This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. Dylan and Eric planned a large-scale bombing of their high school, hoping to take out five hundred lives in seconds and top the record for deadliest terrorist attack in American history. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. Cross in remembrance of Dylan Klebold, who w. Friend Eric Harris went on shooting spree at Columbine High School killing 13 & ending in their. Source: YouTube. The clean-cut, grieving classmates of the fallen tried to make sense of what was senseless. His on-again-off-again friend Eric Harris had . Marxhausen probably speaks for both men when he says the toll Columbine has taken on his life is incalculable. His father was very enraged that day, asking who would give his son a gun. Oops, we were unable to send the email. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? Sue Klebold's son Dylan Klebold was one of the two teenagers behind the school shooting at Columbine High School, Colorado, in 1999. At this time I completed an interview with Dylans brother, Byron Klebold (DOB 10-23-78). Columbine killer has cult of fans long after death. When he came back in September, it was clear this wasnt my church anymore, he says. Monarch is radiant in blue on a tour Bea's blooming! Eric was the stronger personality, student Dan Holsey told the Denver Post. Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. For those who attended the service, it was as if Dylans life had ended at age 12, not five years later in a murderous rampage that left 12 students, a teacher, and the two killers dead, and a nation grieving and groping for answers. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. "I pushed [the pain] down, and I did that again with Columbine. He is half Jewish as I am all Jewish. So it went for a half an hour or more. When your 17-year-old son has just perpetrated what was then the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, killing 12 students and one teacher and wounding 24 others before he and classmate Eric. Telephone calls from the Jewish News to Marxhausen were not returned this week. Signals about the familys religious practice grew even more mixed when it was reported that Dylan Klebold was buried Saturday in a Lutheran funeral. ", "Instead of 'Absalom,'" Marxhausen said, "I substituted 'Dylan.'". Go to bed early, we have to get up at 5! You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. Except for issuing a statement last week expressing sorrow at their sons actions, the Klebolds have refused all media requests for comments or interviews. The 72-year-old said broke don in floods of tears as she revealed that her son was laid to rest in a cardboard box, and that she was terrified to leave the premise in case someone 'hurt him' or stole his body, 'I got home and before long a SWAT team got there and a detective and it was just craziness', said Sue. Still, he concedes, he left when his church needed him most. Which leaves the Klebold and Harris parents: What insights might they have to offer this traumatized community? The motives for Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold to carry out the Columbine High School massacre had nothing to do with bullying or revenge and the real truth is even more disturbing. Long-time friends arrived; one couple was from my church. Dylan Klebold's diaries were just sad. As I walked into the incredibly tension-filled room, I knew that the service I had prepared was not appropriate. Despite his son's murderous behavior and treachery, David mourns his death. Rabbi Raymond Zwerin of Denvers Temple Sinai might have been speaking on behalf of many area Jews when he questioned the apparent media fascination with the issue. She's spent years excavating every detail of her family life, trying to understand what she could have done to prevent her son's violence. Marxhausen and Kirsten (and their colleagues) were engaged in spiritual triage, tending to hundreds of traumatized families. "They keep asking themselves, 'What happened? Jackie Collins taught me everything I know. Dylan Klebold was meek, self-conscious, shy. Cremated, Ashes given to family or friend, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/10972/dylan-bennet-klebold. Dylan Bennett Klebold. The Washington Post Company. I dont see anyone making a big deal about the fact that Harris was Catholic. Failed to delete memorial. Princess Diana's nieces Lady Eliza and Amelia share Do not sell or share my personal information. The two approached her, asked if she 'still believed in God' and when she said yes, killed her . Both were from Columbus, Ohio and went to Ohio State University. As a boy, he was in the Boy. "That's where I think I started getting in trouble with my church," says Marxhausen. She also fell into the preachers arms and cried,she had lost her baby and all that ran through her head is that she hadnt been a good mother. Dylan Klebold's Funeral News Coverage (New Discovery) - YouTube 0:00 5:06 Dylan Klebold's Funeral News Coverage (New Discovery) Columbine Video Archives 25.5K subscribers Subscribe. We didnt even know the family. Dylan was in an open coffin, with beanie babies lining his head (this helped to cover trauma caused by the gunshot wound). Please reset your password. Funeral de Dylan Klebold. After the killing: How parents of attackers cope. To view a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo to open the photo viewer. Harris' family did not. At the same time, the father must have believed that his sons future was still bright. The lake is almost vacant, except for a few repulsive, suburbanite a$$holes. Theyre nice people., Harris and Dylan Klebold were obviously crazy and lost, she added. Failed to report flower. "I was becoming somewhat toxic with my visibility and extrovertedness.". In this difficult, jarring talk, Klebold explores the intersection between mental health and violence . Susan Francis Klebold ( ne Yassenoff; born March 25, 1949) is an American author and activist. If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Eileen Zajac. Harris and Klebold killed 13 people and wounded 24 others at Columbine High School, where they were seniors, in Columbine, Colorado. Add to your scrapbook. Dylan was remembered as a Cub Scout who attended church with his family. God was everywhere after Columbine. How do you preside over the funeral of a 17-year-old boy who went to school one Tuesday morning and, with his good buddy Eric Harris, massacred 13 people just for fun? Time seemed to stop when I was fishing. Would I do a funeral for his son? Upon arrival at the funeral home I met Tom Klebold and his other son Byron. Dylan Klebold examines a shot-up bowling pin used for target practice at a makeshift shooting range March 6, 1999 in Douglas County, CO in this image. Klebold and Harris were social outcasts in the halls of Columbine, but so are a lot of students in a lot of schools. During his sermon, George Kirsten proclaimed Cassie a martyr. . The shame and despair of being physically attacked by your own child. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. The telecast comes nearly 17 years after the tragedy and on the eve of . I knew I would have to use eggs if I wanted any fish, but that didnt matter at the time. But if the parents knew what was going on in the home, with bombs being made, my attitude would change, obviously., 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, 'THAT JERK' PROSECUTOR TRIGGERS MRS. B'S FURY; EXCLUSIVE, Canadian teacher with size-Z prosthetic breasts placed on paid leave, What's next for Buster Murdaugh after dad's murder conviction, life sentence, Murdaugh son collapsed outside court after sitting stone-faced through dad's 6-week murder trial: source, Tom Sandoval breaks silence on Ariana Madix split amid cheating claims, Kelly Osbourne posts first photo of baby son as he hangs out with uncle Jack, Greys Anatomy alum Isaiah Washington retiring from acting: The haters have won, Max Scherzer's first look at the new pitch clock, Chris Rock Jokes About Watching Emancipation to See Will Smith Getting Whipped In Advance of Netflix Special: Report, Kellyanne Conway and George Conway to divorce. I worked for several years with Sue Klebold at Arapahoe Community College. His mother on the other hand wondered how he could be anti-Semitic, as he was half Jewish and she being full. 'Somehow we were lesser human beings we were evil, we were people who did not know how to raise children, there were a world of people who hated us.'. My brother would already be up, trying to impress our father by forcing down the coffee he hadnt grown to like yet. "I turned it off. Is Bob Dylans Judaism blowin in the wind? Back to society. Dylan Bennet Klebold was born in Denver, Colorado on September 11, 1981. The mother of one of the Columbine school shooters admitted she 'prayed her son would die' when she learned of the massacre. This was considered one of the worst school shootings to occur at that time. When asked about Dylans behavior, Byron indicated that Dylan appeared to be somewhat detached and he went on to explain that as a pissed off teenager. Byron went on to state that Dylan gave no indication to believe that something like this was going to occur. U.S., Cemetery and Funeral Home Collection, 1847-Current. That unfamiliar expression was perhaps the only thing that allowed us to get through that first, horrific, unreal moment. 'He was just there in a cardboard box and they allowed us each to have a few minutes with him,' said Sue. I didnt know their last name, said Debbie Wilde, who lives two doors away. And darn if I heard anything that made me think, 'Ah! The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. Off to the races! Privacy Policy. Dylan says that as far back as the Foothills Day Care center he hated the "stuck-up" kids who he felt hated him. Several phone callers to the Jewish News have complained that the media coverage might betray an anti-Semitic bias. He admired Hitler, yet his great-great grandfather was a respected Jewish philanthropist in Ohio. There was a myth going around that the boys were bullied and shot up the school to get back at the jocks and the people that called them . Dylan Bennet Klebold was born in Denver, Colo., on Sept. 11, 1981. Today, West Bowles is a soaring modern building facing the Rocky Mountains where ministers preach a fundamentalist Christianity. His friends have said that he was cremated. As the months passed, new evidence began to show that it had not, in fact, been Cassie who "said yes." Dylan Bennet Klebold (September 11, 1981 - April 20, 1999) was an American high school senior and one of the two students who committed the Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999. To summarize it is readily apparent that both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold felt a tremendous amount of rejection for real or imagined reasons. Staff writer Michael A. Fletcher contributed to this report. . ", Join half a million readers enjoying Newsweek's free newsletters, Everyone Practices Cancel Culture | Opinion, Deplatforming Free Speech is Dangerous | Opinion. The funeral was held at Heritage Christian Center. We've received your submission. "This is Cassie's graduation day," he began. On the morning of Tuesday, April 20, 1999, Columbine High School senior Brooks Brown noted something strange. Laughlin was driving his Mistubishi Galant, headed off . As Sue and her family talked and told stories of their son and brother, I was given the opportunity to hear of the caring, loving side of Dylan that most people will never hear about.. When you're in it and so impacted by it, you just don't think about the effect it's having on you." You need a Find a Grave account to continue. Dylan Klebold helped perpetrate one of the bloodiest school shootings in history, indelibly etching the name "Columbine" into our collective memories. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. She is the author of A Mother's Reckoning, a book about the signs she missed of Dylan's mental state. Normally unflappable, Klebolds mother was disgusted by her sons blood-sucking treasures; Dylan loved it, the fun of grossing out Mom. As a . Susan and her non-Jewish husband, Thomas Klebold, who operate Fountain Real Estate Mortgage Management from their home, have been residents of Littleton since 1990. After meeting several times with the couple since Tuesday's shooting-and-bombing rampage at the school, Marxhausen tonight described the Klebolds as being at a loss to explain what drove their son, 17, and his friend Eric Harris, 18, to carry out the attack. How the Princess of Wales recreated her 2006 outfit from Prince William's Sandhurst graduation Behind-the-scenes at fashion week with the Spencers! I mean, he was still their son. The comments below have not been moderated. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Dylan Bennet Klebold I found on Findagrave.com. My heart broke for Sue because I knew she was a good person and a good mother, and that her life would never again be the same. The lake, the mountains, the trees, all of the wildlife s$*t that people seemed to take for granted, was here. Marxhausen now lives south of Littleton in Highlands Ranch with his wife, and he ministers to a tiny, rural congregation in mountainous Idaho Springs. April 24, 1999 . Denver Post Staff Writer Dec. 13- Speaking from the grave, Columbine High School killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold help answer the question that's troubled the nation for the last eight. At today's memorial service, he said, "I listened for 45 minutes to people talk about Dylan, and I listened to [the parents'] own self-evaluation of how they thought they were raising him. Tom was a geophysicist, Sue worked with handicapped people.