Whitehorse's downtown and Riverdale areas occupy both shores of the Yukon River, which originates in British Columbia and meets the Bering Sea in Alaska. 5. Nicole from Detroit, Mi Reminds me of the guy I fell for who said that we would be the happily never ending story, a fairytale come true. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/whitehorse-capital-of-yukon-511299. fun facts about whitehorse 10. At brunch one afternoon, a Smoked Salmon Benny with spinach and house-made hollandaise along with a Mimosa was delicious, as was the Maple Banger and Eggs featuring locally made maple-infused Bratwurst sausage served with two eggs. COPYRIGHT 2022 | Isolated Traveller, 10 Interesting Facts About Haines Junction, 10 Interesting Facts About Aberdeen, South Dakota. Both are paved, two-lane highways, open year-round. Not a good time to eat them. It was a hive of activity with all ages making everything from simple bowls (like me) to epic fish productions. Check out the street art in Whitehorse, Yukon. Two were dumped Castries, St. Lucia and Echuca, Australia because it no longer exists. Lots of sun and very few overcast days. It also gives the opportunity for us humans to tag them so we can monitor that theyre doing ok. Whitehorses fish ladder was built in 1959 and in its position the fish have already travelled about 4000km, with just 50 left to go. It's 1,500 miles by road from Van City, and a 28-hour drive. The coldest temperature ever recorded was 32.8 C on 29 January 1877. Its 1,500 miles by road from Van City, and a 28-hour drive. You can catch 35 kg lake trout from Great Slave Lake as well as monster sized northern pike. Whitehorse is also home to. The territory has a lot of natural beauty to protect. There are 700 kilometers of trails extending through and out of Whitehorse, for biking, hiking, and cross-country and downhill skiing. A visit there offers way more diversity than a beach holiday, in manageable Canadian dollars. The record low temperature in Whitehorse was -52.2 C set on January 31, 1947. Whitehorse is a 2.5 hour flight from Vancouver. Elsewhere, sister establishments, serve elevated pub fare abetted by a slate of inventive cocktails. I sat by myself at the front and ordered an Alaskan Salmon Salad and a Yukon gin cocktail. (7) And so off I went to the Glassblowing shop to have an intro to the art. Do NOT order spicy at the Sanchez Cantina. The environmentally minded Yukon bag ban outlawed single-use plastic bags in 2022, and single-use paper bags Jan. 1 of this year. You dont know what you have missed out!! This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. 2. Did you know that winter is an awesome time to visit Whitehorse? This peak is the second tallest in all of North America. Heres why. Whitehorse's downtown and Riverdale areas occupy both shores of the Yukon River, which originates in British Columbia and meets the Bering Sea in Alaska. The villages along the Yukon have historically and continue to rely on salmon for their cultural, subsistence, and commercial needs. They have a very strong muscle ring called the cardiac sphincter at the entrance to their stomachs. Fort Selkirk was named for Lord Selkirk, who founded the first permanent settlement in Yukon, Fort. There is an interpretation centre at the Whitehorse Rapids Fishladder. THE place to stay out of the Whitehorse hotels. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. It took just 8 months to build the huge Alaska Highway, because so many people lived here. Because of its location in the valley of the Yukon River, it is relatively mild compared to communities like Yellowknife. Although there are plenty of outdoor activities in the immediate vicinity of Whitehorse, beautiful Kluane National Park is an easy drive away as is Skagway, Alaska and the start of the famous Chilkoot Trail. 12 of 15 A Horse's Resting Respiratory Rate Is About 8-14 Breaths per Minute Alina Solovyova-Vincent / Getty Images It's important to know the resting pulse and respiration rate of your horse. We have friends who love visiting there for river rafting in summer and snowmobiling in winter. As someone who normally travels from London airports, after arduous bus and train journeys, this blows my mind. Required fields are marked *. A super trendy hipster style place with exposed brick and carefully curated menus, I loved it as soon as I saw it. @Breanne Sorry I cant help you with that one. Its also one of the top Whitehorse attractions on the big list. , which hosted us and which also operates tours through the Wildlife Preserve included a knowledgeable driver who broadcasted a sense that we could take all the time we wanted to photograph stuff, imbibe by the woodstove, and marvel at the absolute silence of the ethereal snow-covered landscape in the middle of the night. Look for migrating chinook salmon through an underwater window. Ive been to Whitehorse three times always on the way to grand outdoor adventures. All children in Canada should have a right to be taught in their own language. On the summer solstice the sun rises at 4:27 AM and sets at 23:36 AM. 4. Another Whitehorse accolade to be proud of, is the fact they have the longest wooden fish ladder in the world. notes, Yukon is situated in the northwest corner of Canadas continental mainland. Whitehorses strong coffee and craft beer culture the city boasts, Another main attraction on the calendar each February since 1984 is the, International Sled Dog Race. Still a nice place though. Buy Now! Receive helpful Yukon tips, information on unique events and activities, and inspirational ideas that are sure to stay out of your junk mail folder. One note: Much of Whitehorse closes on Sunday, so be sure to call and not assume a restaurant or shop will be open. On the summer solstice the sun rises at 4:27am and sets at 23:36am. This is not a zoo. @Susanne I would look forward to any facts you have to offer on the First Nations of Whitehorse. Unfortunately the queue was round the block both times and as a solo traveller in Whitehorse I decided I didnt want to sit in there by myself. Whitehorse was incorporated as a city in 1950. A climb to the top of Grey Mountain Lookout provides a panoramic view of the city. The Whitehorse City Council is made up of a Mayor and six Councillors. Great food though! 4. Yukon is derived from the Yup'ik word "yuh", which means "great river". For mains I had a chicken quesadilla, which Id already ordered spicy before I had the chance to take my own advice. During the summer, parts of the Arctic Circle are never 'hidden' from the sun for the whole 24 hours it takes for the Earth to spin on its axis. Lowe came to the Yukon in 1899 and had mining interests in the Whitehorse Copper belt and a successful cartage business. Ravens can talk and sing with an ability to make more than 100 vocalizations. Spectacular place and wonderful peopleI could live there forever. Whitehorse municipal elections are held every three years. Whitehorse became the capital of the Yukon Territory on April 1st, 1953. Founded in 2016 by Luann Baker-Johnson, Lumel offers workshops for every age and ability, catering to school and team-building groups as well as walk-ins, helping guests spin, smush, and shape molten glass into paperweights and small vases during informative, hands-on sessions. The yukon, a territory in northwest canada, is wild, mountainous and sparsely populated. In summer, the Midnight Sun shines all day and night in some areas. Adding a film festival to a travel itinerary is genius. Fun Facts Greater Sudbury is geographically the largest city in Ontario and the most populous in Northern Ontario With nine operating mines, two mills, two smelters, and a nickel refinery, Sudbury is arguably the hard rock mining capital of the world. It also includes a suspension bridge over the Yukon River and its one of the places where you can watch the riverboat cruises. At 50 shed entered the local beauty queen competition for Rendezvous Festival and managed to beat all the young ones, inspiring the local older people for evermore. Sign up to my travel newsletter for the latest posts, city guides and tips. That's right! Glassblowing? Several operators host Northern Lights tours, which typically include transportation to and from Whitehorse to a viewing area outside the city, where bonfires and heated sheds stocked with hot drinks help stave off the cold. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. The new center is gorgeous and the totem pole now stands high at the end of Main Street! Think cold-calling is effective? (20) Yeah, its basically the Canadian Starbucks, but have you been to Canada if you didnt have a Tim Hortons? Leigh McAdam is an award-winning photographer and three-time author. The record low temperature in Whitehorse was -52.2 C set on January 31, 1947. About Us And in 1911, they officially started calling it Whitehorse.. Get useful up-to-date news on Yukon events and activities, customized to your interests. Its actually a problem that there are too many jobs and not enough people. $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["09b924f5-94ba-4b4e-bde1-9202e421355e"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["2d28fbb1-a93e-4cbb-b35f-84086c8d4b31"]); }), @media (min-width: 768px) { .liquid-row-responsive-64032837d4dee {padding-top:110px !important; padding-bottom:115px !important; } } @media (min-width: 992px) { .liquid-row-responsive-64032837d4dee {padding-right:5% !important; padding-left:5% !important; border-right-width:50px !important; border-bottom-width:50px !important; border-left-width:50px !important; } } @media (min-width: 992px) { .liquid-column-responsive-64032837e742b > .vc_column-inner {margin-bottom:0px !important; } } .ld_fancy_heading_64032837e75b1 h3{color:rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.68);}.ld_fancy_heading_64032837e75b1 h3 {margin-bottom:0.85em !important; } .ld_fancy_heading_64032837e75b1 .lqd-highlight-inner{height:0.275em!important;bottom:0px!important;}.ld_fancy_heading_64032837e75b1 h3 {margin-bottom:0.85em !important; } Thank you for your wonderful input. 8,488.91 sq. In other words, it never gets dark! There are broad valleys and big lakes around the city. Have you been? (Rely If You Know) And, flowing through the middle, is the wonderfully hued Yukon River. The semi-weekly Yukon News as well as the bi-weekly L'Aurore borale, which serves the Franco-Yukonnais community, are also published in Whitehorse. Great list of facts and fun items related to Whitehorse. I got it for free. These are the companies I turn to when I want to book my travel. The Miles Canyon area is minutes away from downtown . Viator if you want to book your activities and adventures before to travel to Vietnam then Id recommend Viator. Too many outsiders moving here and bringing their big city ideas here creating exactly what they left behind. I really loved my time in Whitehorse, and the Yukon in general. She was a fantastic source of knowledge to introduce me to the First Nations culture here, and how so many different peoples ideals and cultures worked in the present day. I Really Like Dis Article, I Hope To Go To Uconn Some Day! Whitehorse is located just off the Alaska Highway, on the Yukon River about 105 kilometers (65 miles) north of the British Columbia border. I left Whitehorse desperate to come back, but next time, Id give those below 40 winters a try, hunting for those elusive Northern Lights. The menu looked great and I wouldve loved to try some chicken wings too, but I had a week in the Yukon, this wasnt a sprint. No such headaches at Whitehorses, , Canadas largest film festival north of the 60th parallel, which just wrapped its 21. edition screening 101 films in two theatres, one in central Whitehorse. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Some 80 per cent of visitation to Yukon happens in summer. Oh niiice. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Many movie stars, corporate executives and wealthy people live here in stunning homes along the waterfront. This obviously leads to great outdoor exploration and adventure opportunities . Also, the transport of the day, and there are exact replicas of shops inside too. thank you for posting this helped me a lot with my homework. Fittingly, there are myriad organized activities on offer alongside the territorys famed natural wonders, chief among them the spectacular Northern Lights. Nearly half the population is under the age of 35 - making it one of the youngest cities in the country. From a museum filled with innovative modes of transportation to an entire forest made up of international signposts, the Yukon is filled with historical sites that cant be missed. About 75% of the Yukon population lives in Whitehorse. All you need to know about your next epic vacation destination. 1. , and the largest, non-polar ice field in the world, , which opened in May 2022 on the site of the historic Takhini Hot Springs, offers a fusion of Japanese, Turkish and Nordic design for an exciting new Boreal experience (meaning, yes, the pools are located outdoors). Whitehorse was incorporated into a city in 1950. Whitehorse is situated in the wide valley of the Yukon River, and the Yukon River flows right through town.