Pentateuch Therefore, it is Adam and not Eve who bears the responsibility for the fall of the human race and for the introduction of death into the created order (Romans 5:12, 1 Corinthians 15:22). The way God came to Adam and Eve is a model of how He comes to lost and fallen humanity ever since. And let those that are finely clad, learn not to make the putting on of apparel their adorning. d. You will be like God, knowing good and evil: The final enticement was the most powerful because it was how Satan himself fell, wanting to be equal with God. ii. Luke-Acts b. By proceeding, you consent to our cookie usage. God came to them patiently, waiting for the cool of the day the evening time. Because of Adam: ii. You were made from They couldnt refuse to answer God the way a criminal might keep silent when questioned. When cherubim are represented on earth (such as in the tabernacle, Exodus 25:10-22), they mark a meeting place with God. In an echo of the flood story, God destroys Sodom for the wickedness displayed earlier in the chapter. His sufferings and death; pointed at in Satan's bruising his heel, that is, his human nature. ii. Satan wants us to see sin as something good that a bad God doesnt want us to have. iv. Now work has a cursed element to it, with pain and weariness a part of work. b. WebGenesis 3:19. The representation of Satan as a serpent makes the idea of Moses saving Israel by lifting up a bronze serpent all the more provocative (Numbers 21:8-9), especially when Jesus identifies Himself with that very serpent (John 3:14). The greatest potentate of evil was here doomed to cringe and crawl, and his seed have never forgotten their fathers posture. (Spurgeon). See her what dishonour and trouble sin is; it makes mischief wherever it gets in, and destroys all comfort. d. Then the man said: Notice that to this point, God has not addressed Eve at all. Every attempt to cover our own nakedness before God is just as foolish. WebGenesis 3:17. Sin brought sorrow into the world; that made the world a vale of tears. (2-3) Eves (9-13) The serpent cursed, The promised Seed. Therefore, He forbids you to eat of it, lest you create other worlds Hurry now and eat the fruit of the tree in the midst of the garden, and become independent of God, lest He bring forth still other creatures that will rule over you (Ginzberg). Observe the startling question, Adam, where art thou? The idea that the woman takes her name from the husband, and the idea that both genders are encompassed in terms like mankind, humanity, and chairman. This failure on Adams part made Eve more vulnerable to temptation. We can almost picture Adam telling Eve, See that tree in the middle of the garden? Now he moves in for the kill, with an outright contradiction of what God said. Where the gospel has gone, the load has been lifted, and woman in Christ has become the reflection of the redeemed Church, the bride of Christ. (Barnhouse). But God made them coats of skin, large, strong, durable, and fit for them: such is the righteousness of Christ; therefore put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ. i. Christ baffled Satan's temptations, rescued souls out of his hands. See here what is commonly the folly of those that have sinned. c. Your desire shall be for your husband: This is true of women in a way that it is not true for men. He aims to make them discontented with their present state, as if it were not so good as it might be, and should be. Heaven and hell can never be reconciled, nor light and darkness; no more can Satan and a sanctified soul. Adam had faith in Gods promise of a Savior, and God provided a covering for them through a sacrifice. If man had not sinned, he would always have ruled with wisdom and love; if the woman had not sinned, she would always have obeyed with humility and meekness. Albeit that henceforth all he ate was to be with the sweat of his face, yet still he was to have enough to eat, and he was to live on. (Spurgeon). The question was meant to show that seeks after lost man. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point But while the heel is bruised on earth, the Head is in heaven. Minor Prophets WebAs Genesis 3:20 records an instance of humble, apprehending faith in the divine word, so here we have a manifest act of mercy on the part of God, indicating the pardon and acceptance of confessing, believing man, rejoicing in anticipation of that future victory over the serpent which was to be accomplished by the seed of the woman. d. Lest you die: This may seem like a small thing to hinge the destiny of the human race and all creation on. In our courts of law, we do not require men to answer questions which would incriminate them, but God does; and, at the last great day, the ungodly will be condemned on their own confession of guilt (Spurgeon). Poetical Books He did not disclose his design at first, but he put a question which seemed innocent. So when the woman saw: Eve surrendered to this temptation in exactly the way John describes in 1 John 2:16. Yet man is not sentenced to eat dust as the serpent, only to eat the herb of the field. a. I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid: Sin made Adam afraid of Gods presence and afraid of Gods voice. Charles Spurgeon thought the sense was, in the wind of the evening, when the evening breeze was blowing through the garden. Genesis 3:15 has been called the proto-evangelium, the first gospel. Our good works are like monopoly money great for monopoly, but not legal tender. Ever since Adam, men run from Gods presence and dont want to listen to His Word. New Age author Marianne Williamson (author of A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles), guru to many of Hollywoods spiritual seekers, spent a night at the White House as the personal guest of Hillary Clinton. WebGenesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. King iii. We can assume this is God, in the Person of Jesus Christ, appearing to Adam and Eve before His incarnation and birth at Bethlehem, because of God the Father it is said, No one has seen God at any time. Perhaps Satan knew by observation Adam didnt do an effective job of communicating to Eve what the LORD told him. ii. If Adam would have sinned first, and if he had then given the fruit to Eve, she might have a partial excuse before God: I was simply obeying the head of our home. The question was meant to lead Adam to confess his sin. It is sin to exchange the truth of God for the lie (Romans 1:25). This signified the shutting out of him, and all his guilty race, from that communion with God, which was the bliss and glory of paradise. It was the ground that was cursed due to Adam's sin, so that he had to toil by the sweat of his brow throughout this earthly life to provide what was originally bestowed in plentiful supply. This may well be true, but it makes Adams sin not one bit less rebellious. In response, God issues three individual ''curses'' which affect humanity to this day. The devil, as he is a liar, so he is a scoffer from the beginning; and scoffers are his children. As the gospel gains ground, Satan falls. He asked it because He allowed Adam to make the best of a bad situation by repenting right then and there, but Adam didnt come clean and repent before God. Did thorns come in with sin? Satan, by their corruptions, buffets them, sifts them, and seeks to devour them. No marvel that they became a terror to themselves, and full of confusion. God bid man go out; told him he should no longer occupy and enjoy that garden: but man liked the place, and was unwilling to leave it, therefore God made him go out. He became obedient unto death. This shows the falsehood of the tempter, and the frauds of his temptations. The LORD God made tunics of skin, and clothed them: God wanted Adam and Eve clothed, not naked. Isaiah 14 tells us Satans fall had to do with his desire to be equal to or greater than God, to set his will against Gods will. Because of the curse, Eve would have to fight a desire to master her husband, a desire that works against Gods ordained order for the home. Beings engaged in evil designs have no other way of going, but with tricks, devices, concealments, double meanings. He was sent to a place of toil, not to a place of torment. Satan ruined himself by desiring to be like the Most High, therefore he sought to infect our first parents with the same desire, that he might ruin them too. When he gave me the fruit, I ate of it.. WebGenesis 19 The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah A. i. (14,15) The punishment of mankind. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, (Hebrew/Greek Search by English Definition), * 'Number Delimiters' only apply to 'Paragraph Order', Search verses, phrases, and topics (e.g. Individual instructors or editors may still require the use of URLs. a. God announced that Satan would wound the Messiah (you shall bruise His heel), but the Messiah would crush Satan with a mortal wound (He shall bruise your head). i. So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life. The person tempted was the woman: it was Satan's policy to enter into talk with her when she was alone. i. Ezekiel 28 tells us Satan, before his fall, was an angel of the highest rank and prominence, even something of a leader of worship in heaven. The tempter was the devil, in the shape and likeness of a serpent. WebGenesis 3 tells the story of paradise lost by the willfulness of human sin. They must have thought, Its our turn next!. Take and eat will one day become verbs of salvation, but only after Jesus had lived in the world of Adams curse and surrendered to death. Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. Thus is the plaster as wide as the wound. Prophets For out of it you were taken; Their hearts must have been sorely perplexed within them while they were waiting to see what God would do to them as a punishment for the great sin they had committed. (Spurgeon). The curse promised thorns and thistles, and we remember that Jesus was crowned with thorns (Matthew 27:29). To eat dust has the idea of total defeat (Isaiah 65:25, Micah 7:17). God has a covering for His people (Isaiah 61:10), and the exhortation from Jesus is for us: Behold, I am coming as a thief. The fruit probably was pleasant to the eyes, though that shouldnt mean much. The New Testament b. Tunics of skin: In order for Adam and Eve to be clothed, a sacrifice had to be made. 2. If Satan doesnt couple it with some truth, there is little power in his temptation. (22-24). Some creature had to die in order to provide them with garments, and you know who it is that died in order that we might be robed in his spotless righteousness. He was to live; the ground was to bring forth enough of the herb of the field for him to continue to exist. He was crowned with thorns for us. WebCommentary on Genesis 3:16-19. In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread His business, before he sinned, was a constant pleasure to him; but now his labour shall be a weariness. Covering ourselves with our good works is like Adam and Eve trying to cover themselves with fig leaves. It speaks great encouragement to sinners, that their Saviour is the Seed of the woman, bone of our bone, Hebrews 2:11,14. d. He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden: Cherubim are always associated with the presence and glory of God (Ezekiel 10, Isaiah 6, Revelation 4). They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: Adam and Eve knew that when they heard the LORD coming, He would want to be with them. And Christ's sufferings are continued in the sufferings of the saints for his name. WebGenesis 3:19 Clarke's Commentary. iii. Sin is failure to do what God has commanded us. As He creates and destroys worlds, so will you have the power to create and destroy. There is no doubt this is a prophecy of Jesus ultimate defeat of Satan. Many other passages associate a serpent or a snake-like creature with Satan (such as Job 26:13 and Isaiah 51:9). It is his policy to send temptations by hands we do not suspect, and by those that have most influence upon us. Not only does Adam unjustly accuse Eve, but also he refused to accept proper responsibility for his part in her sin. i. It is an ill sign with men when they cannot be brought frankly to acknowledge their wrong-doing. (Spurgeon), And the LORD God said to the woman, What is this you have done? The woman said, The serpent deceived me, and I ate.. And still the devil draws people into his interest, by suggesting to them hard thoughts of God, and false hopes of advantage by sin. Adam sinned with his eyes wide open, in open rebellion against God. Redeemed man this being who is greater than innocent man is only possible because man had something to be redeemed from. The story of this chapter is perhaps as sad a story (all things considered) as any we have in all the Bible. It was a memorable discourse indeed, with Jehovah himself for the preacher, and the whole human race and the prince of darkness for the audience. (Spurgeon). Of course, it was a good idea to completely avoid the temptation; no good could come from massaging the fruit youre not supposed to eat. A verification email has been sent to the address you provided. But instead of acknowledging the sin in its full extent, and taking shame to themselves, Adam and Eve excuse the sin, and lay the shame and blame on others. When Adam and Eve saw their nakedness and felt terrible about it, it didnt feel good but it was good. ii. c. She took of its fruit and ate: Satan could tempt Eve, but she didnt have to take it. See also God's care for our first parents, notwithstanding their sin. Satan teaches men first to doubt, and then to deny. Without shedding of blood there is no remission (Hebrews 9:22). The New Age movement and the desire to be god are just as strong as ever. As with every temptation, God had made for Eve a way of escape (1 Corinthians 10:13). Luke-Acts ii. (Genesis 3:4-5) Satans direct challenge to Gods Word. In the sweat of thy face Though the whole body may be thrown into a profuse Bridgeway Bible And between your seed and her Seed; The Gospels Web3. Cool of the day is literally the breeze of the day. From Hebrew geography and culture, we might guess this means late afternoon or early evening. 1. Till you return to the ground, The question was meant to arouse Adams sense of being lost. 2. ii. If sinners will but consider where they are, they will not rest till they return to God. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. All the days of your life. Demonic spirits evidently have the ability, under certain circumstances, to indwell human or animal bodies (Luke 8:33). She was not even pregnant yet. Man has, perhaps, far more cunning than any mere creature but Satan has more of cunning within him than any other creature that the Lord God hath made, man included. (Spurgeon). (1-3) Lot convinces the angelic visitors to stay with him. General Epistles Adam laid the blame on his wife; but though it was her fault to persuade him to eat the forbidden fruit, it was his fault to hearken to her. The devil tempts them, persecutes and slays them; and so bruises the heel of Christ, who is afflicted in their afflictions. They have more care to save their credit before men, than to obtain their pardon from God. Believe this (Spurgeon). (Genesis 3:6) Adam and Eve both disobey God in their own way. The serpent (Lucifer) deceives EveShe and then Adam partake of the forbidden fruitHer Seed (Christ) will bruise the serpents headThe roles of woman b. ii. WebThe temptation from the serpent. 3. i. i. i. Few subjects are more important! I will put enmity between you and the woman: In addition, there is a natural aversion between mankind and serpents, especially on the part of women. Web(Read Genesis 3:16-19) The woman, for her sin, is condemned to a state of sorrow, and of subjection; proper punishments of that sin, in which she had sought to gratify the desire of Webhis body was composed of the dust, was of the earth, earthly, and should be reduced to that again by death, which is not an annihilation of man, but a bringing him back to e. Enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed: The second part of the curse is directed against Satan himself. c. The LORD God sent him out of the garden of Eden: We dont know if Adam and Eve wanted to stay in the garden of Eden. Your partnership makes all we do possible. b. 1. As the gospel gains ground, Satan falls. Instinctively, we dont serve God or Satan; we serve ourselves (which is fine with Satan). One must be hardened to willingly and knowingly serve Satan. There is often nothing you can do about yesterdays sin (though in some cases you may be able to make restitution). b. Clothes came in with sin. WebGenesis 3:14-19. (1-5) Adam and Eve transgress the Divine command, and fall into sin and misery. 6. A gracious promise is here made of Christ, as the Deliverer of fallen man from the power of Satan. i. ii. He was nailed to the cross; he hung there in thirst and fever, and darkness and desertion (Spurgeon). 20 The man gave his Genesis 4. God named the man, and called him Adam, which signifies red earth; Adam named the woman, and called her Eve, that is, life. We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden, In the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, You will be like God, knowing good and evil, The woman saw that the tree was good for food, Then the eyes of both of them were opened, They heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, walking in the garden in the cool of the day, I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid. Prophets Yet death being dreadful to nature, even when life is unpleasant, that concludes the punishment. i. In this vivid way, Jesus bore the curse for us. v. This is the first gospel sermon that was ever delivered upon the surface of this earth. 1. a. c. Where are you? And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. i. Gods question demanded an answer. An animal had to die. Men and women have each known sorrow throughout history, yet the unique sorrow of women is well known. The question was meant to express the accountability man had before God. i. This is the last historical mention of the garden of Eden in the Bible. 3. This wasnt primarily a wardrobe problem or a fear problem or a self-esteem problem. And you shall eat dust Pentateuch Web2 And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, 3 but God said, You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, i. i. Cookie Notice: i. Did sorrow come in with sin? God ordained that the pain with which women bring children into this world be an example of the pain they experience more generally in life. Many have speculated that Adam sinned because he didnt want Eve to be alone in the fall, and he ate of the fruit out of a romantic impulse. He shall rule over thee, is but God's command, Wives, be subject to your own husbands. ii. For dust you are, Adam even blames God. Poole says the woman wasnt surprised at the serpents speaking because Adam and Eve had free conversation with angelic beings that often appeared in the form of men. Because she was the mother of all living: Adam named her Eve, even though she was not a mother at all at the time. Rebellion against God is not better when motivated by a romantic impulse. iii. The serpent deceived me, and I ate: When confronted by God, Eve didnt necessarily shift the blame when she admitted the serpent deceived her and then she ate. We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: Eves knowledge of what she should not do is partially correct, but what she doesnt seem to know makes her all the more vulnerable to deception. There are many temptations to which being alone gives great advantage; but the communion of saints tends very much to their strength and safety. General Epistles Satan promised they should be safe, but they cannot so much as think themselves so! Anthony Robbins, motivational guru and king of late-night infomercials, consulted with President Clinton at Camp David. ii. If all these people were brought together in a church-like organization, it would be the third largest religious denomination in America. 1. We need to let Jesus cover us (Revelation 3:5, 18), and put on Jesus Himself as our covering garment (Galatians 3:27). It has the idea that women would experience pain in regard to their children in general, not just in the act of giving birth. a. i. Jewish rabbis embellished on Satans temptation to Eve: Nothing but malice has prompted Gods command, because as soon as you eat of it, you will be as God. Perhaps Satan made the voice supernaturally seem to come forth from the serpent, or perhaps Satan communicated this to Eve in her thoughts. f. He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel: In this, God prophesies the doom of Satan, showing that the real battle is between Satan and the Seed of the Woman. iii. WebThe temptation from the serpent. You are cursed more than all cattle, i. There is a sense in which idolatry of Eve was an aspect of Adams disobedience against God. Sooner or later it will bring shame; either the shame of true repentance, which ends in glory, or that shame and everlasting contempt, to which the wicked shall rise at the great day. Adam and Eve made for themselves aprons of fig-leaves, a covering too narrow for them to wrap themselves in, Isaiah 28:20. And you shall eat the herb of the field. The serpent was more cunning than any beast: Satans effectiveness is often found in His cunning, crafty ways. Pauline Epistles Learn hence, that Satan's temptations are all beguilings; his arguments are all deceits; his allurements are all cheats; when he speaks fair, believe him not. Adam sinned willfully, having abdicated his leadership position. i. Yes, I am sure he has, and it is well said; and by his grace I will abide by it. I. The beasts, from whose skins they were clothed, it is supposed were slain, not for man's food, but for sacrifice, to typify Christ, the great Sacrifice. And take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever: In mercy, God protected Adam and Eve from the horrible fate of having to live forever as sinners by preventing them from eating from the tree of life. iii. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation. Satan assaulted our first parents, to draw them to sin, and the temptation proved fatal to them. He sweat for us, as it had been great drops of blood. iii. They saw a loving God provoked, his grace and favour forfeited. ii. God obviously knew where they were but He also knew a gulf had been made between Him and man, a gulf that He Himself would have to bridge. In virtually all cultures, adults cover their genital areas, even though other parts of the human body may be more or less exposed from culture to culture.