Ron listens to an Opera Singer, to see what all the hype'sabout. We take this for granted as creators, as publishers, and as networks. Theyll do it for usually one of two reasons. In fact, well distribute it on broadcast radio, and so we did. iHeartMedia, the largest audio media company in the U.S. and the top podcast publisher globally according to Podtrac, today launched new brand safety technology for podcast advertising powered by Sounder, an audio intelligence platform that builds foundational podcasting technology. Carolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer. The problem it was solving, the price point was undeniable, it made perfect sense to me. Its not like, I spent 95 percent of our time on Will Ferrell. Its happening. On the other side of the business, you own the distribution. Is that something you think about as targeting? We also have an original content series we make with IBM called Smart Talks with IBM. I feel like an early version of the podcast industry was entirely built on host reads for direct-to-consumer brands. I dont know. Just before we started, I was looking at your website. Its what we do. To answer your other question, if this industry were to wholly move to a platform like Facebook or YouTube, its a different platform. We wanted access to that to shout really loudly about the stuff we were doing. It has been a player in the audio space across multiple kinds of distribution for a long time. The Ron Burgundy Podcast is back! It has brought in underrepresented creators like nothing else weve done. Its because of the venture capital money. We do a bunch of partnerships with a lot of creators and a lot of distribution platforms. Episodes. Is this a thing you want to do? Each episode has a diff Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! This is a split, right? He was a great guest, super game to answer the questions, especially in front of a live audience. Fast, cheap, and good. the old way of the show is a better format, but at least the live shows are contributing ticket sales to charity. Thumbs up or thumbs down, library. Is that how it goes when you talk to these folks? Its not the kind of game that is usual in this industry. Are you doing that math? Ive always thought about it. If anything, were making that more of a focus and paying more attention to it in the last two or three months. We used Jun Group. I dont see a reason. Sign up free 0:00 0:00 Company About Jobs For the Record Communities For Artists Developers Advertising Investors Vendors We ran a third-party research study two years ago with WARC. Broadcast radio is a mass-reach medium still today. Hes fantastic. Theyre just trying to grow their audience while youre selling the ads. I can get all three, all the time. I can talk about the things I cant talk about on the radio. A million monthly downloads or more is a ton. You have a mass-reach medium. Why did you want to sell to iHeart? Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! Oddly, no. If you just describe to me the constraints of any distribution platform, I can tell you what youre going to get. The longer answer is, were in an odd economy. Ron takes a stab at the most popular genre of his new chosen mediumthe True Crime podcast. Its just a disconnect. We felt like we were really onto something with podcasting, but we wanted to accelerate it 10 years ahead fast. There was a moment on YouTube, around 2010 or something, where we all realized the same thing. By the way, put TheVerge.com on the home screen of your phone. I dont have this concern in the same way I had it when I was writing text-based articles for HowStuffWorks.com 20 years ago or when I was focused on social and digital video at Discovery Communications. To put it simply, we have a platform. Which one of your children is the business affairs group? Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! But I also think it fundamentally tripped up a little as a business model. That was my next question there. They chose a real simple version of it called Really Simple Syndication, RSS feeds. So far, that is all we know, which is a shame. People were shouting questions at me as I walked through the halls. Jun Group is a vendor that drives marketing for podcast companies that is targeting mostly gamers, whether those are gamers playing Subway Surfer or people who overindex for the metaverse. If youre a marketer, and this was a well-worn, tried-and-true way to market over the last 10, 20 years, that just got a lot harder. I just dont know that we at the NFL are going to get this as right as you guys might, as fast, and we want to partner with somebody really big. Its a very similar model to Pushkin Industries. You should start one. A podcast from The Verge about big ideas and other problems. If I was to reframe what you just said more rudely, you could say that you have a division full of older distribution and you have a division full of newer distribution. The Ron Burgundy Podcast A weekly Comedy, Society and Culture podcast featuring Will Ferrell and Carolina Barlow 22 people rated this podcast About Insights Pro Episodes 83 Reviews 11 Creators 15 Lists 9 Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! Ill give two answers. We also have a digital marketing team, I forgot that in the org chart. I dont depend on it. I dont know that it needs innovation. Find ratings and reviews for the newest movie and TV shows. Charts. Well do standard, straight-up, quick-turn, host-read ads. She said, On the podcast, its much looser. Yeah. Well tag all of our spots on air with, Listen wherever you get podcasts. Well say our own app, but then well say other apps too. We had three or four people who were our formal official sales team at Stuff Media. The Ron Burgundy Podcast Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! If youre a marketer and you hear that third stat, youre like, Wow, a third of all the stuff that people take in is marketing. Weve won in that sense in podcasting. Its why those guys initially were the first people to jump into podcasting, because the only kind of marketer that doesnt need your data is a direct response marketer. Join Americas favorite Anchorman, continuing to delight audiences with the comical musings of Ron Burgundy and leave them wanting more! The second thing we do is spend a lot of time focusing on every show that we have on our network. We may not have liked it, but there usually was a problem getting fixed. Theyll overcomplicate in order to camouflage something they probably shouldnt have done. I have to say people are very excited to hear from you today. Wheres the tension there? I think thats creator psychology, like, Actually, sometimes its more important for me to have a large listener pool than it is to have a big check. Some of the press recently has focused on that, and I think its smart. No Longer So. Youre saying we have to innovate and push back in it, but its still just promo codes. The BD team is livid. 246 episodes totalling 170 hours, 51 minutes. In true Ron Burgundy fashion, these conversations have a tendency to go off the rails, and we find out things about people we never . You got it. Co-produced by Funny Or Die, the 12-episode "The Ron Burgundy . Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. We're the Film Fanatics. Because if youre launching new stuff, youve built the archive, you built the library. Do you know how hard it is to make a mass-reach medium, that 80 million Americans a week are like, Im going to do that today? If there are principles that I try to remember once a week or so, its probably those three. You talk about that long tail content, this has borne out some of the most amazing stuff weve made. All I say to them is, This is no longer an experimental bucket of marketing. The Ron Burgundy Podcast on Apple Podcasts 68 episodes Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! But that maverick approach has included some controversial steps as well. Theres an engineering team that has maybe 100 people at the back end of all of our digital products. Glass-walled conference rooms where they just come up with funnier promo codes? Its not mutually exclusive, first of all. It was the only time Ive ever gotten a call from somebody. I think we can do all the innovating with different kinds of marketers from bigger brands, bigger budgets, and maybe long-term, multi-year campaigns. Because you have this new platform thats incredibly cool, and lots of great creators using it, and its 80 million Americans a week. We saw a shift from performance marketers or direct-response marketers into bigger brands thanks to ad tech evolving fast in podcasting. If you have that framework when you walk into every meeting every creator meeting, every partner meeting, every competitor meeting it changes your whole outlook. Hi, Ron Burgundy fans! But Ill talk you through why. The Ron Burgundy Podcast. I just dont think they get that in a lot of places anymore because of the highly formatted other platforms that theyre making content for. Be wide open to new industries and new things inside that industry. When I told him this, I was like, You know, like the blockchain!. This one was definitely very real. Theyre all looking for internships. Im like, They dont need to be if they dont want to be. You have this relic now, that is a podcast limited series of what this language means to this guy and why he captured it in a podcast. Do you think the industry is mature enough to be like, Actually, what you all need is a business affairs group? Ron plans an interview with Alex Rodriguez, and takes his cooking skills to the next level with Jon & Vinny. These are marketers who are usually really good at this stuff like really good. It has been a pitfall of digital media from day one. The third thing they let us do was have a sales team. Exorcising some demons in Rons man cave. It didnt go well for him either. Radio and podcasting have very different constraints. Everyone else in this room is like, We have to make TikToks because that is the future of all podcast marketing. Sorry, Im making TikToks. Ron Burgundy is going live in the next season of his iHeartMedia podcast. "This year, variegated and dark-foliage plants will have a moment as plant parents move towards that foliage combination," predicts Lindsay Pangborn, a plant expert with Bloomscape . I end on this team because its very important, we have our business affairs team. Most of people acting strangely, politicking at work, or behaving badly is born out of insecurity. Each episode has a different theme in which Ron engages in conversation with another notable person on the topic at hand. How do you account for that? They had seven or eight podcasts that they were making. I think thats it. I want to start at the beginning. Live it up. It was a packed house and a great time. Our business affairs team is busy and accounts for a lot of our growth. The allure backwards to radio is that you have true mass-reach audiences, which I think brings them back. In the tech world, this is a common situation. I hate to answer it so vaguely. iHeartRadio 1.14M subscribers Listen to the Ron Burgundy Podcast NOW and hear Ron address important issues like bullying and the mind-expanding nature of meditation, and attempts to. They have this instinct to do good work, so they will try to over-perform and overcomplicate a task. Co-produced with the Big Money Players Network, The Ron Burgundy Podcast was one of the top shows of the year - weighing in at No. The newest mass-reach media just happened, and it is called podcasting. Theyre killing it right now. If youre a creator on YouTube, its a terrific platform and incredibly creative, but you dont own your fan base. Were also co-producing a slate of whole new stuff. Thats really cool, but its not mutually exclusive. But that has been their promise for years, and it might still be their promise. This show is also a podcast where we capture the file, distribute it as an on-demand thing, and then it drives upwards of 15 to 20 million downloads a month. i want to give the show two stars, but i cant because carolina is a siren and wont let me, also im pretty sure ron would put me on the list. The marketing team is like, What are you doing?, Yeah. It made it the medium that the internet promised creators it would give them but hadnt yet. Youre saying, Oh, theres a seamless back and forth, but surely you must see, Oh, okay. Every single question is about org charts. Theyre just insecure. I think most podcasters are bad at marketing. The second reason is parallel pathing. Burgundy, who has a fountain of knowledge that spans literally every topic imaginable, has signed on for two 12-episode seasons, with the first episode of "The Ron Burgundy Podcast" making its . Ron and Carolina talk with Game of Thrones Peter Dinklage about his favorite poems. I certainly wouldnt be where I am as a podcast network without the support of not just the sales team, but the creative juice of the broadcast radio guys. Eighty million Americans a week listen to podcasts. The Ron Burgundy Podcast will launch on the iHeartRadio Podcast Network in early 2019. IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. We have experimented with Jun Group across the years. Im building up to it. Ron takes a stab at the most popular genre of his new chosen mediumthe True Crime podcast. Ill go from the more obvious down to the less obvious. At the iHeart Network, we have about 70-ish shows in the iHeart Podcast Network that drive over one million monthly downloads or more some of them way more. And then overlay iHeart marketing across all of it, so we grow the whole thing bigger and be able to make more revenue together. Next week, Im with Universal McCann. That wasnt possible prior. Malcolm Gladwell has an existing slate of shows. Be a startup, or is it something that you did? Episode One of "The Ron Burgundy Podcast" talks about one of the most popular genres of podcasts: True Crime. The Ron Burgundy podcast is back for season two, starting August 8th! Carolina Sums Up The Whole Podcast (The Ron Burgundy Podcast) Funny Or Die 3.5M subscribers Subscribe 288 Share 40K views 3 years ago Listen to the full episode here: https://ihr.fm/2WcbhiE. The reason we started this company was because I think he genuinely had a blast making The Ron Burgundy Podcast. It kind of never went away, but now were back to this again. The counterexample there is obviously Joe Rogan at Spotify. That comprises all of our social media assets, all of our websites, a huge streaming business, a lot of the innovative tech work we do like how we launched iHeartLand in Roblox and Fortnite and podcasting. Youre doing ad injection into the feed? This is what the audience wants. Terrestrial radio distribution is a thing that were all very familiar with. It thrives when it is a widely distributed medium. Or, the negative reason, theyre covering up bad work. Even if ultimately it was frustrating to the creator network, usually when there was a huge shift in a business model, the newer platforms were fixing a problem. A very special episode discussing the difficulties of bullying with a 10 year old girl. Everyone does it. Thats right. All of us do this, including myself. Do you think that youre moving the high-margin dollars into the longer tail? What is the audio drama today? This may be debatable, and may feel like an affront to a lot of folks in the room who live and breathe podcasting as an original medium. But I have learned firsthand and talked a lot about the extent to which broadcast radio talent has honed this craft of conversation over the last hundred years and certainly the last few decades, and the extent to which that has driven our medium, just sheer talent hitting the medium, but also with an awareness of the medium. Ive learned about this a lot, and Ive talked about it a lot as Ive learned it. iHeartMedia came along and offered us two or three things specifically. To try to help with this, iHeart, the multi-platform group, built a product called smart audio thats really cool. I have nothing else to say. If you love digital audio and you want real reach, there is no way to get real reach in digital audio. As much as I would love this to be the case, there is no way to get real reach in digital audio unless you contend with and purchase broadcast radio. So he had a similar trajectory, and hes a wonderful guy. The Ron Burgundy Podcast iHeartRadio The long-promised Ron Burgundy Podcast is finally upon us and the first episode is called " True Crime ." iHeartRadio has been teasing this show with. The Ron Burgundy Podcast - Podcast Addict The Ron Burgundy Podcast - via Podcast Addict | Will Ferrell reprises his role as Ron Burgundy in the world-famous Ron Burgundy Podcast! This is like a $1,000 CPM host-read ad right here. Add to My Podcasts. Its never been any different from day one, and it has made all the difference. Will Ferrell was like, Please, please stop running so many ads, but it worked. Weve dabbled in subscription channels on Apple Podcasts, just because I had creators who came to us and said, Id like to try this. We are very proud of this. Broadcast radio is a highly formatted media type. I make content. The iHeartPodcast Network is home to more than 800 iHeartPodcasts across a wide variety of genres, that span every category from business, sports, spirituality and technology to entertainment, family, comedy and true crime - and everything in between including leading podcasts such as "The Ron Burgundy Podcast," "Paper Ghosts . You could also say that you have a division that might be declining and a division that might be growing at a faster rate. All of the distribution points that we distribute to today through RSS feeds are equal to us in terms of the money we make, because thats just how RSS feeds work. We are interested in video. Its actually a lot of different things. We'll listen to and reviewhttps://www.iheart.com/podcast/the-ron-burgundy-podcast-30270227/Top 10 Women featuring the incomparable RuPauland Christmas Memories podcasts Updated Date: Feb 24, 2023 Its why we widely distribute. When we launched The Ron Burgundy Podcast with Will Ferrell four years ago, we gave him a really big gross radio point push across broadcast radio. Thats a super good question. Are you on the side of having a wide distribution and using that to convert against whatever your other business is? The Ron Burgundy Podcast. New episodes come out every Monday for free, with 1-week early access when you join Amazon Music or 1-week early and ad-free for Wondery+ subscribers Credits: Host, Writer, and Executive Producer: Ron Burgundy Co-host, Writer and Producer: Carolina Barlow Producer: Nick Stumpf Talent Producer: Anna Hossnieh Writers: Andrew Steele and Jake Fogelnest Engineered, Mixed and Edited by Nick Stumpf Learn more about your ad-choi Yes. The Ron Burgundy Podcast was distributed as a show on late Sunday night on broadcast radio too. And everything in between. I wonder how much Im spending on audio marketing? That number is usually nine or 10 percent of their overall investment. Anybody in the room, and most of us do work in podcasting, know that number is harder and harder to get every day. Credits:Ron Burgundy: Host, Writer, Executive ProducerCarolina Barlow: Co-Host, Writer, and Producer.Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack OBrien, Miles Gray, and Nick StumpfExecutive Producer: Mike FarahConsulting Producer: Andrew SteeleAssociate Pro Ron and Carolina take part in a mind expanding interview and meditation session with guru Deepak Chopra. Will Ferrell has started a podcast as the character he played in the movie of the same name. One of the themes we come back to on Decoder over and over again, especially when I talk to creatives or creative executives, is that your distribution fundamentally shapes what you make. Im going to get in trouble too, just like you are. Promote. Was there ever the thought, Hey, as long as were getting listeners in the door and making these numbers go up, some of them will convert and stay? Thats a meeting I want to go to. The. I know. i believe, an audio podcast mixed with a live audience, is a not a good mix. Thats my only fear with video. They do it like an hour a day. See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information. It has been fun, if nothing else. With podcasts, youre talking about promo codes at the ends of the ads, right? None of your creators are saying they want to line up subscriptions to take rev shares off the subscriptions? Both are completely okay and actually really perform well. Not great. Youve been more or less anti-subscription. Associate Producers: Anna Hossnieh and Sophie Lichterman. Its incredibly collaborative. Will Ferrell was like, Please, please stop running so many ads.. Google wants something, were all going to make it, then theyre going to turn it off, and a bunch of businesses will die. Over the last 10 years, I think it has been a question of them figuring out what they are as a platform and what the next chapter for them should be, whether its the metaverse or just doubling down on making newsfeed better. Its probably cheaper to buy those shows, it might be cheaper to produce those shows. I think more importantly, he saw the potential of the podcast medium to be a way for him to find, develop, and break new comedic talent in America. Yes. In this podcast, Ferrell discusses his opinions on various topics and shares his thoughts from Ron's point of view. This is a must-buy bucket of marketing. Producers: Whitney Hodack, Jack O'Brien, Miles Gray, and Nick Stumpf, Political History with Doris Kearns Goodwin. Aside from "True Romance", Carolina also co-hosts "The Ron Burgundy Podcast," with the on-screen Ron Burgundy himself, Will Ferrell. Ron and Carolina interview an actual, real live psychic after Ron gives listeners their horoscopes. Ron and his co-host, Carolina Barlow, interview various exciting guests from all walks of life, including celebrities, politicians, and everyday people. How did the NFT thing go? There is very little competition, and theres very little, They do that and we do this. In fact, I think the only way we succeed, and the reason we have succeeded, is that it has been quite the opposite of that. The tales he unfolds and his interview with a criminal psychologist are positively bone chilling. Ill end on this. So of course I asked Conal about that and lots more. CPMs are going up and the quality of the online ad marketplace is going down. 1 on Apple Podcasts Top 200 in the opening weeks of both seasons 1 & 2. How do you make sure they get attention? We were especially interested in, If we got gamers into our podcast network, could we then bring them into these live shows in iHeartLand? We dont use it anymore. Were like, Hey, you should buy podcasting. It has been announced that the Anchorman character will next year release 12 episodes of something called The Ron Burgundy Podcast. There was this new-ish thing called podcasting, so we soundproofed some rooms and threw some people in those people being Josh and Chuck, who co-host Stuff You Should Know and several other shows. No, for real. We are an obsessively, widely distributed content company. Really, really terrible. They apply, they get admitted, we build a bit of a podcast studio at their house, we teach them how to use the gear, we teach them how podcast marketing should work, and most importantly, we teach them what a business deal should look like in podcasting, so that they know walking into it. There are iHeartRadio streaming channels that show up on your electronic programming guide on Roku. It has made conversations with creators really simple, because you can rest assured that at some point in the conversation they will ask, How are we going to distribute? Lets hang with Will Ferrell for a second. If you've ever wanted to know about champagne, satanism, the Stonewall Uprising, chaos theory, LSD, El Nino, true crime and Rosa Parks then look no further. No. I know that sounds crazy. Podcasting is a mass-reach medium. It has 29, 30 podcasts under it, and it alone drives 15 to 20 million downloads a month. iHeart has 1,300 salespeople in all 50 states across 160 or so markets as weve divided up the country. We make TikToks too, by the way. Facebooks interest has grown and waned and grown a bit on podcasts. How have you arranged iHeart Digital? We were talking about these giant platform companies. Look, iHeart is an old company, its a radio company, and Bob Pittman built it in a very particular way. There are huge, great ad agencies like Ad Results, Veritone, and Oxford Road who do great business for performance marketing companies. He also co-owns a company with us. You can feel however you want about it, but we all did it. #moviepodcast #podcast #anchorman #ronburgundy #paulrudd #willferrel Who are we? We were a medium-sized website trying to explain everything under the sun through medium-sized articles. It was a smart move on their part to buy a company like HowStuffWorks.com. Its another 60 percent this is the only reason I remember these numbers or more specifically, like 57 percent, of marketers currently spending in podcasting are going to be spending more next year, not less. Yeah. We had a good relationship with Roger Goodell and the league. The culture is not preserved; the nimbleness is not preserved. It is possible to that extent, but its hard to convert to a new platform. Launching in early 2019, the podcast will be co . Thats what it sounds like. Ron hires a new co-host. Overall, it was a fun first show that was a little light thematically but should improve with different guests and crazy circumstances allowing Will Ferrell to play around in the style that made him famous."