Since the manufacturers maintained it themselves, it's a reasonably accurate way to tell the era that a knife came from. Eligible for Return, Refund or Replacement within 30 days of receipt. Today, they have become a favorite of collectors, so much that we are interested in dating them to know whether we have the real deal or a fake. So question: does it have brass spacers in handle? LARGE STOCKMAN - JADE BONE KINFOLK JIG. The Camillus Cutlery company also produced: Their production capacity was expanded during the second world war when they had to manufacture a lot of high-quality knives to meet the needs of the soldiers shipping off to war. It is the aluminum guards that define Kinfolks made Case fixed blades. Or do you just want to know the value of your knife? All of these make the recipe for a truly great knife that deserves our attention. Likewise, everyone simply assumes that these knives only come from between the 1920s 1930s era, which is not the case. Knives made by top companies were featured in catalogs that were either internally maintained or sent out to dealers and collectors. There were six manufacturers: Kinfolks, Queen, Williams, Case, Ka-bar, and PAL. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. Fortunately for us, Camillus changed their stamps enough to map each one to different periods. It is knives like these that make some people on the outside question why Case knives are so expensive when they are just a great value for their money. For all that good, though, some bad actors have learned how to make fake Camillus knives and pass them off as vintage. Why in the world would ANYONE pay $713.00 for this book? Still, Read More Knife Dating We are all connected through Job Case, all kin, and this book may be the history of only one of thirty-two different cutleries our family has started over our 140+ year history in the industry, but it is much more. The only known production number from . 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. As popular as the Marbles line was with outdoorsmen, it was their impact on the rest of the cutlery industry that really made a lasting impression. $49.99. The List Price is the suggested retail price of a new product as provided by a manufacturer, supplier, or seller. | Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. Outdoor writers of the period all ridiculed the Bowies as being strictly, Billy the Kid, dime-novel fantasies. As for the butcher knives and the folders, they got the job done, but they didnt have much flash. In short order, virtually every major cutlery company in the U.S., England, Germany, and Sweden began offering their own versions of Marbles most popular knives. You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. One of the most common models today has the 568 TC USA marking on its blade. Check out local knife forums where you have experienced knife collectors, enthusiasts, and users too. It is not known when these knives went out of production, but they made it as far as 1993. My thought was A- at some point the two were mated or B-CASE acquired the sheaths from the same supplier as Camillus, I lean towards A. by edge213 Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:50 pm, Post Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Follow authors to get new release updates, plus improved recommendations. Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this American cutlery dynasty are included, as well . While stag slabs were available at extra cost, most were handled in a feature pioneered by Marblestacked leather washers. Now, we know already that this, Read More How to Tell If A 1918 Trench Knife Is Real (5+ Unique Methods)Continue, The kissing crane knives are some of the most well-made, long-lasting, and historical knives that we can still find around today. Theyre not like the other vintage war knives Ive dated because theyre not fighting knives. thorin6, I know my knives - maybe not as well as my mother - but enough to write helpful guides for you. Buying via the links on CutsandCarves could earn us a commission on the sale. With decades of experience under his belt, Adolph spearheaded the growth and expansion of the Camillus knife company into what we know it as today. One of the biggest challenges with dating any kind of knife at all is the change of ownership that might have occurred along the line. Blades: CLIP, SPEY AND SHEEPFOOT Length Closed: 4 1/4 MFG List: $102.70 Our Price: $69.99 Limited . After decades of feuding and parting ways to start yet another Case-related cutlery, Kinfolks saw three cousins come together to help one another. The good news is that I found multiple ways to determine how old your Camillus knife is. The mystery of the Jean Case Cutlery Company is at last explained, and many family photographs and recipes are included. This is a book for anyone who would like to spend some time with a family who pursued the "American Dream". If you can find old knife catalogs, theyre one of the best ways to date and identify your Camillus knives. Ending Jan 29 at 8:05AM PST 1d 10h. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. The top two you have are right as rain for war time production AAF knives. Some extremely valid points! Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. The brand started using tang stamps early enough, making it easy to tell the age of a Camillus knife. The Creedmoor is the hottest cartridge on the Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. If you have one of such knives, follow the guide above to narrow down the date or era as much as you can. You may receive a partial or no refund on used, damaged or materially different returns. I put on a pot of coffee and let myself get lost in the twist and turns of the Case family. For this topic I thought I would zero in on the 5" hunting knives that are known to have been procured by the USAAF. The Expert is a great all-around outdoor knife, but the handle on the Sports Knife is just too short. Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this . In my cousin Dean Elliott Cases book, Kinfolks Knives A History of Cutlery and Cousins, he shows this brand being used from 1928-1933. Others give only a very vague date when the original Kinfolks company was making its knives and nothing more. He felt the proper grip when field dressing was to choke up on the handle with the base of the blade between your fingers. Marble first marketed this model as not being up to the same kind of hard use his Ideal was. 4 bids. Kinfolk's knives were made by the Kinfolk company from about 1924 until the early 1950's. They are very hard to date the exact time they were produced. $274.99. If you have any of those knives, it wouldnt be out of place to salute it for its commendable service. Like every other knife Ive dated, the Camillus knives are challenging in their way. This is one of the 6-inch knives that the US Army purchased in 1942, before they went to the M3. Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2013, This book is an excellent history of a family who lived the American Dream. A legacy that lives on today, Reviewed in the United States on July 30, 2018. Unfortunately I was unable to obtain any other items related to his service as they had been bought by an antiques dealer and sold prior to my getting the knife. Your email address will not be published. Show me your knife, and I'll tell you who you are. Please try again. Ending Saturday at 5:06PM PST 3d 20h. Marbles actually made very few knives during the war as they were given contracts for other needed equipment. Top is pre-war procured knife blade tang stamped Kinfolks INC. followed by the two war time procured knives illustrating the use of alternate materials first switching to a plastic guard with aluminum pommel then plastic guard and plastic pommel tang stamped Kinfolks USA. Early Ideals all came with a small, practical single handguard on the edge side of the blade, but for some reason, a less useful double guard replaced this in a few years. Without new collectors, this hobby will slowly atrophy until there are just a few of us left (until we age out). But there are clever reproductions that can fool you into thinking its the real thing. Great read, with very helpful information. I purchased 2 books to give as a gift to some of the men in my family. On my variant note the filler in the shape of a cross, on the other variant it is in the shape of an oval. CustomizedGiftStore. Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this American cutlery dynasty are included, as well as a foreword by Brad Lockwood. This is the Kinfolks family. by JohnR Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 pm, Post Kinfolks used to mark their knife blades, and those markings helped tell what era the knives came from. I can never really be sure where or when a blade gets it's cover unless I open the box from the factory that the knife came in. There seems to be a problem serving the request at this time, Hunting Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives, Bowie Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives, Hunting Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Camillus Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Stainless Steel Handle Collectible Vintage Fixed Blade Knives, Stainless Steel Handle Collectible Vintage Factory Manufactured Fixed Blade Knives. these are the typical sheaths for the knives in post #1. Copyright 2004-2023 allaboutpocketknives.com, Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide, "If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. Marble's hunting knife. Also pictured is the AAC procured pattern 5665 with stag and rosewood handles. In 1965, Robeson ended production of Kinfolks knives. In 1929, Marbles added a 4-inch-blade version of the Expert to its line called the Sports Knife. The Girl Scouts of America adopted it as their official sheath knife in 1930, and the Boy Scouts made it an alternative to the more expensive Woodcraft. $14.59. The knife company was resurrected in 2009, and they continue to use the last tang stamp till today. Marble tended to know his customers well, and if he thought a double guard would sell better than a single, then that was the way it was going to be. Kinfolks were granted the patent to use tungsten carbide on their knives in 1955, and the knives went into production afterward. If you are vastly interested in the story of how three cousins came together to found a knife company that we still know today, check the book out on Amazon today. Klein knives are clear vintages, and they're one of those knives that went to the war. CASE has one other variation only prevalent at end of the pommel. List prices may not necessarily reflect the product's prevailing market price. In most of the places that I've come across a Klein knife, it was either a military electrician's knife or for another handyman. . In that case, this book is also a good investment. TreasuresbyMoStore. The Western "V-44" offered here is in about FINE condition. Im not sure who made that decision as it seems like the Expert or even the Ideal would have been better for camping chores. For the time that they spent here, though, they came up with some pretty great knives that collectors are after today. There is no definitive history of the Kinfolks knife around, but the little we know of them is as interesting. These RARE KINFOLKS Y330 & Y333 Fixed Blade Sabre Ground Hunter Knives w/Original Tooled Leather Sheath are in EXCELLENT overall vintage condition! Due to labor issues, Kinfolks was closed in 1957, with another cousin, Emerson Case, continuing production of the brand under Robeson Cutlery in Perry, New York, until 1965. Marbles next gift to the sporting cutlery world was the Expert sheath knife (5- and 6-inch blade lengths), introduced in 1906. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. Theyre not like the other vintage war knives Ive dated because theyre not fighting knives. All had clip-point blades and a deeply-fullered edge grind (not a blood groove). They, along with many other companies, also suffered when men in the company joined the war effort by enlisting even when they were deferred with required jobs at a cutlery as a specialized skill. Add that to some shady collectors taking advantage of this fact to fabricate the fakes of these knives, and we have another challenge on our hands. Can you post a picture of the end of the pommel? View cart for details. We are all connected through Job Case, all kin, and this book may be the history of only one of thirty-two different cutleries our family has started over our 140+ year history in the industry, but it is much more. As usual Dustin, a fine writeup on a field often overlooked by collectors. In the years after the Civil War, hunting knives tended to follow one of three patternsheavy-duty folders, traditional Bowie knives, and small utilitarian butchering type blades. Enhancements you chose aren't available for this seller. It consisted of a black horn handle secured to the tang via the use of three brass rivets. Powered by Invision Community, US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY. Alternately, you can look for Facebook groups or other social media gatherings where you can find such knife experts. Shipping cost, delivery date, and order total (including tax) shown at checkout. He started importing and selling German-made knives to his U.S. audience. Includes initial monthly payment and selected options. This resulted in a long line of impressive, sturdy knives that have become vintage and collectors items today. By I appreciate you writing this post and the rest of the site is very good. Enjoy! KinfolksFounded by Dean Case, Russ Case and Tint ChamplinLittle Valley, New York1925-1957. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. I work hard so my Dog can have a better life AAPK Tips and Tricks -- An Illustrated FAQ Forum on Steriods, Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days, Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum, Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum, Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum, Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum, Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum, Knife Related Creation, Modification, And Restoration Forums. Save big on firearms, accessories, tactical gear, clothing, and ammunition from now until March 29. A German himself, and having spent enough time in the U.S.A. to know the market landscape, this business venture was not difficult for him. But that changed at the start of the war with the adoption of the legendary USMC Fighting/Utilitya knife that was basically a militarized version of a Marbles Ideal. From mine and your two they are all slightly different which would suggest the milling process was not precise, however it is distinctive one uses brass spacers and the other does not. While they may not be sparkly new, they still have a lot of hunting seasons still left in them. Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this American cutlery dynasty are included, as well as a foreword by Brad Lockwood. While some other companies have taken over the design and started to make modern versions, there is simply nothing like the older units that first came out under the original Klaas company. Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications. March 26, 2014 in EDGED WEAPONS. I posted the lower knife on another thread from Gary recently. Saunders knives; and a few more knives under contract. This started in 1899 with the Ideal model, which was available in a variety of blade lengths from 4 to 8 inches. In any case, Marbles Woodcraft and Ideals are still easy to find on eBay.