If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. This "lets the fairies out" during baking! Please let me know if either of these methods work. Thanks. Not good when they burnt it though. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. I just have a quick question. Anne and LaurenC: Thanks for your feedback. Scoop the dough into the prepared pan, mounding it in the center. I looked at the end of the recipe but, no masthanks Dave. We had the soda bread with lashings of butter and honey and everyone was addicted. This loaf gets a lot of attention around St. Patrick's Day! . Slainte to you , Hi Butter a 9- by 2-inch round cake pan. Thanks!! Irish Brown Bread is baked with a cross sliced on the top of the loaf. We got our deft, compact & utterly delicious loaves from the Totnes market where a group of a TRIBE living in the Taunton area sold their products. Required fields are marked *. Here in Cork eggs and butter snd enough buttermilk are often added to make quite a wet bread which is baked in a tin ad its so sloppy. But yes, I think you can reduce the sugar without negatively affecting how the brown bread will turn out. I was there a few years back and still cant stop talking about the farm, the food, Darina and Tim Allen, the shell grotto and on and on. Published: October 14, 2018 Modified: November 9, 2022 by Author: Analida Word count:1402 words. I used Mary Jos adaption because I only had dry yeast and regular organic whole wheat flour. Heat over medium, just until mixture reaches warm room temperature. For breakfast, its great fresh, or toasted with a swipe of salted butter and either some honey or jam. Im surprised at the responses for it being too sweet. Irish flour for soda bread is something the Irish bring each other when leaving abroad or even just a packet of soda bread mix. Everytime my American wife and I go home to Ireland, the first thing we do, once we get to my home town is head straight for my local, the bridge bar for seafood chowder, brown bread and a pint of Guinness. I have bits of my loaf from there still frozen; I cant bear to finish it! Im wondering how course the settings should be for this bread, hmm. Have you seen the Dan Barber talk on wheat? Form a ball on a floured surface. Would allow for a nice crust I think. Looks divine! Spray a nonstick 9-inch (23cm) loaf pan with nonstick spray and cut a piece of parchment or wax paper to line the bottom of the pan. I know you'll be tempted to start munching on this bread as soon as it comes out of the oven. It was also offered every morning at our B&B, along with other traditional Irish food like black and white puddings, barmbrack and scones. Stir together in a large bowl the Irish wholemeal flour, all-purpose flour, sugar baking powder, baking soda, and salt. So glad I found your recipe! As it was run by the Irish Loreto nuns, they baked soda bread (we called it Loreto brown bread) every day except Sunday!!!! I am Irish and make soda bread with my son but our recipe is different we will try this one as it sounds better than ours. The bread made with standard whole-wheat flour was just fine, but certainly not as good as the other one. Step 2: Add buttermilk Nancy Mock for Taste of Home Add buttermilk to the bowl and stir it in to make a sticky doughif the dough is very dry and crumbly, add another tablespoon or so of buttermilk. Scone & Popover Doughnut & Muffin Cake Bundt & Specialty Pie Bread . Sifting flour into a bowl for Irish brown bread Make the Yeast Free Dough Add the whole wheat flour to a large mixing bowl. I hope you will both be able to return to Ireland again soon, it's such a relief that we seem to be inching our way back to normal. Kitchen Scales Pans. The brand they use at Ballymaloe is Kells Wholemeal Flour made with local Irish (and Canadian) wheat. Discovering restaurants, tasting bakery treats, finding inspiration in new flavors and regional specialtiesno wonder Nancy loves being a Taste of Home Community Cook and a food and travel writer. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Irish Brown Bread is delicious by itself, but even more so slathered with delicious Irish butter, and your favorite jam. Well have to start exporting flour to you. This bread has such great flavor, its best with just a light spread of butter or tangy marmalade. I rushed back here to save the recipe. Add to Cart The item has been added. Yum! I hope you have the best day ever. My question is about altitude. Your feedback made my day. I'll let you know what it tastes like soon. Enjoy the bread! Grease a 1 1/2 to 2-quart baking dish, or an 8" or 9" cast-iron skillet or cake pan that's at least 1 1/2" deep. I cant figure out how to add a picture, or I would. There is an Odlums whole meal coarse flour and a whole meal extra course. Irish brown bread is a family favorite in my house. I was unable to find coarsely ground wheat flour in my area on short notice, so until I can get some online, I went out on a limb: cornmeal. God Bless! I'm glad it brought back memories of being in Ireland for you - that's why I love to make it, too. I don't normally add sugar or baking powder when I make soda bread but I must hand it to you, it makes a huge difference. I noticed that their measuring cup is in imperial measurements, a pint in imperial is 20 oz. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Bloggers Brags! This is a lovely recipe, and it was not harmed by my tweaking it just a bit. Worked a dream very tasty Slinte to you and your wife! The successful outcome is even more special because I have an unreliable oven. No commercial interest, just a fan of Jupiter. You'll be rewarded with a nuttier, chewier loaf. Thanks Cecily! Sometimes I will read the title of your recipe and find it hmm ok its just bread but by the time I am done reading the post I have two bags of Irish wheat flour and molasses in my Amazon cart and the recipe is pinned + boomarked. Step 4: Bake. My sons are all grown, married and their wives are all good cooks In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, buttermilk powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Let me know if you make it. Hi Meghan! I am trying this on my next bake! So I wrote to them and a few hours later, Robert Mosse, a member of the family who owns the mill, wrote back to me with some answers. -N. I also have traditional recipes for brown scones if youre interested! Thank you for writing this up. (If using standard whole-wheat flour, the dough will be sticky, and rather wet.) That being said, I think some softened butter could be cut into the flour mixture and it wouldn't harm the finished loaf. The quicker it gets to the oven the better Thanks for commenting! Even though I had the same ingredients, my loaves came out different because of various other factors my oven, loaf pan material, etc. Hi Sinead, thank you for trying my Brown Bread recipe - Im so happy to hear that you liked it! The dough comes together fast, and youll want to get it right in the oven after its mixed and shaped. For Americans, another flour alternative is Graham flour. I love baking bread. Preheat the oven to 375F. Thank you. Much appreciated! Slainte! That sounds wonderful! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdj76Og9HE. Did I do something wrong or is this normal? Spread the wheat germ on a baking tray and place in the hot oven for 3-5 minutes until it is lightly toasted. Just what Ive been looking for. Step 2 In a large bowl, whisk all-purpose. Powdery flour is estimated at 6 oz/cup. Whtat type of oats did you use? Bake 15 minutes at 450F, reduce to 400F and bake another 20-25 minutes until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Ive got to try making it since I love brown bread. I also gave a link to a good site about yeast, if people want to substitute. Let the loaf cool, then slice it up. Looks like a good recipe! The crispy crust and the melt in the mouth middle. I find too that if I use sour milk rather than buttermilk the texture of my bread is lighter though it might not always be possible to get. ), and the recipe on their website makes like a dozen loaves. Their recipe: mix (not knead) together 1 kg wholemeal SR flour, 100g butter, 40g baking powder (or 200g cream tartar and 100g bi-carb soda), 10 g salt and litre milk. King Arthur Seasonal Pans & Sets. 2023 I just returned from my first trip in IrelandI was in Galway, Kinvara, and Connemara. It sounds like you were as smitten with the Brown Bread as we were! Since very few ingredients are in this bread, if you can find it, use coarse, stone-ground whole wheat bread flour. Irish butter cookiesare favorite melt in your mouth shortbread cookie recipe that does call for Irish butter, no substitutes. I must surprise her! I dont use the food processor and I import the stone ground flower, since its the only way to get the gritty texture that is so authentic. Your first comment under Notes re-preparing ahead of time were a little confusing (prob my fault!). . The bread turned out well, risen and browned, and still delicious. I have just made this receipe to the exact measurements and wonder if the 4.5 tablespoons of sugar was a typo. After I got home, I set about testing it because I wanted to see if the bread would taste the same in my kitchen, with ingredients that I could find close to me. I grew up eating brown bread in Ireland and it's lovely to find recipes that don't depend on an expensive baking mix for success. It's not as finely ground as standard whole wheat flour. A pound = 450g (~3 cups). It also goes by the name Spotted Dog. I will be making this brown bread for Easter Sunday for my husband who is Irish, but I love the brown and soda breads from Ireland too! I just made a loaf now , Kathleen, this is fantastic to hear! This recipe is the best! Mix together the flours, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. I love a hearty bread like this! Followed the recipe exactly after ordering Odlums flour through http://www.FoodIreland.com (my typical source for Irish goods, including baked brown bread, tea, puddings and rashers), but found the dough very dry. I havent been able to test the other flour. We are so thrilled to have you at our party. Ive been trying to make the posts shorter (but on this one, I knew readers would have questions) but guess I shouldnt omit adjectives ; ), Great write up on delicious wholemeal yeast bread. Pour 150ml of water into a small bowl and stir in the molasses, then crumble in the fresh yeast, stirring a couple of times. so, mustnt complain and its true, we are blessed with great, great bread too. for the half cup. You can also just bake it on a flat baking sheet. Our site contains affiliate links to help maintain our publishing activities. Thank you for the recipe! i will make sure I stop by. Kerrygold Ballymaloe Literary Festival of Food & Wine, Sweet Lemon (bergamot or Meyer lemon) Marmalade, (see headnote and note after the recipe, for instructions using active dry or instant yeast - I use 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast when not using fresh yeast). Im a big bread eater, and never shy away from a bread plate no matter where I am, and have never had such good soda breads as Ive had in Ireland. Oh dear you said 1/2 in your directions. The outside was crunchier than I anticipated, but it was good for a first attempt. Mix all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Thanks again Christie!! After tasting Brown Bread on our first day in Ireland we were so happy to find it everywhere we stopped, and each version just a little different with the individual baker's own take on the recipe. Im curious if its similar in texture to the KA Irish wholemeal flour I guess Ill try it in this recipe and see! Using ordinary milk doesnt result in a great bread. Serve slices of Irish brown bread warm, at room temperature or toasted. Tim told me that this bread was invented because they wanted to come up with a simple loaf of bread that anybody could make, one that was simple to put together, as well as being wholesome and nutritious. (Americans and their sugar, like you said!) Thank you for sharing! Devine. If you're planning a trip to Ireland, I'm certain that, like us, you'll be able to enjoy Irish Brown Bread everywhere you go. Wow, that's so cool! Slinte! Grinding the hard wheat grain is a very clever workaround to get the texture of wholemeal. A gf and I hiked part of the Kerry Way in late July-early Aug this year. You call for 1 3/4 White flour. I was thrilled to read this post and learn how to make a true Irish bread. Find a recipe now - head to the Recipe Index. Robert told me that they mill the flour so it has a coarse texture. I have never actually measured my loaf; I would definitely try flattening it out a bit. Hi Mary, oh I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! Irish Brown Bread is as typical as a pint of Guinness. along the way, but thats the fun of it, right? I typically use standard wheat wheat flour with a good result and rolled oats, not the "quick" oats. I also sprinkled some of the cornmeal over the top of the dough once it went into the pan. Remove the bread to a cooling rack, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Theres no soda in it. Yes, you can definitely bake this in a loaf pan. Many thanks for this. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: both flours, oats, salt and baking soda. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment. This recipe was adapted from: The Complete Irish Pub Cookbook. I didnt have buttermilk so added some lime juice and it worked a treat. I can taste that bread. (new Image()).src = 'https://capi.connatix.com/tr/si?token=bd5526af-9c84-429a-baca-e1c4e1072ef9&cid=877050e7-52c9-4c33-a20b-d8301a08f96d'; cnxps.cmd.push(function () { cnxps({ playerId: "bd5526af-9c84-429a-baca-e1c4e1072ef9" }).render("7917806a0d7f4109a1cb2a4492c81a1a"); }); Adapted from my Irish brown bread recipe at Hungry Enough To Eat Six, this makes one loaf that serves 10-12 people. Wouldn't it be amazing to be at an Irish Soda Bread event in person to sample all that delicious bread? I'm looking forward to baking Aunt Lizzie's soda bread next. I wanted to ask a question please : Is it necessary to add so much sugar? Step 2: Mix the Guinness Soda Bread Batter Gather all of the ingredients to make the Guinness brown bread. If only I can get on your next tour list.it fills so fast ! And if you have some time let rest the dough much longer, appr. Its an excellent bread Ive been making since 1973 when I found Myrtle Allens recipe in Beard On Bread. In any case, I appreciate that you're willing to try my recipe with our without the sugar - I hope you will write again and let me know what you think of it! Bake the bread for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it tests done (a cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.) 4 cups (454 g) King Arthur Irish-Style Flour or King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour; 3 tablespoons (35 g) granulated sugar; 1/2 cup (72 g) buttermilk powder; 4 tablespoons (57 g) melted butter or 1/4 cup (50 g) vegetable oil; 1 tablespoon (14 g) melted butter; 1 large egg; 1 teaspoon salt; 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; 1 teaspoon baking powder; 1 1/2 . Lol. That's a great question about adjusting my recipe for high altitude. Make a well in the dry flour mix to make room for the liquid ingredients. When the dough has reached the top of the pan, bake the bread for 20 minutes. And here are more recipes inspired by travels to Ireland: How do you like this brown bread? Odlums is available in some stateside supermarkets. *Or substitute 1 1/2 cups buttermilk in place of the water and buttermilk powder. On my recent family trip to Ireland I was very happy that Irish Brown Bread was served at every meal. I knew Saint Patrick's Day wouldn't be complete without Brown Bread, so I found your recipe and I am going to make it as well. Though Irish brown bread is also a soda bread, it's a much different loaf. Thank you very much not only for trying my brown bread, but for saving the recipe to make again. One of the best things about sharing my Brown Bread is all the folks Ive heard from here whove shared their own brown bread stories and favorite recipes. So you can start a loaf in the afternoon and have it for dinner. I dont usually comment on recipes but this was 10/10 delicious. We ate it warm with salted butter and jam fresh out of the oven and then had it for dinner with butter, tomatoes, avocado, good quality sardines, a dash of sea salt and a cold crisp glass of semillon. Thanks so much for this information. Hi-ya! With that much liquid I made a huge mess. A finished loaf of this Irish bread will be dark brown with a firm crust and will have a hollow sound when you knock on the bottom. Today I tried your recipe for brown soda bread and my family and I have not stopped eating it since it came out of the oven. It should not be sweet. Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. Just a little testimony from a former french student in Ireland: brown bread is one of the thing that I remember with the most pleasure (speaking of the food) from the time when I was living in the country. Which brings me to an important point: I tested the recipe a number of times and ifyou want to use other ingredients,or alter the technique, the results may not be exactly the same. I just received the Irish style ground flour from King Arthur flour company yesterday. This is true for loaves where the outside of your bread may look fully set, but the inside of the bread is still gummy. Add most of the buttermilk and stir it into the dry mixture. For lunch made an open faced sandwich. 4 tbls is an awful lot and I hate sweet bread. Stir well so that everything is evenly distributed. Its mild flavor makes it a perfect vehicle for sweet cream butter, a dab of orange marmalade, or your favorite jam. I'm drooling right now. Its forever saved in my recipe box! I like to bake my Irish Brown Bread in a cast-iron Dutch oven because it gives it a taller, rounder shape. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture forms fine crumbs. It's so creamy, yummm! Breads made with this type of wheat flour don't rise well with yeast, but work very well with baking soda as a leavener. It's still a bit sweet so I'll try one more time with 1 T. sugar. Ha how many others thought this was a SODA bread? It had a nice texture. Let stand until it starts to foam on top, about 10 minutes. Which is why he calls it a brown yeast bread, not a soda bread :). I make regular soda bread often, but I loved the brown bread when I was in Ireland- I ordered the flour - cant wait til it arrives I am sure this will become a staple in my house! In one sentence you sum up so much about some of the current food debates: Authenticity is a noble cause but we shouldnt be beholden to it. I wanted to cheer reading most of this post, because not only are you obviously honoring the original place and recipe, but you repeatedly get the point across that cooking is a very individual thing, and tied in to our own places as well. Thanks, David. I really want to find cast iron loaf pans and think they would work well with this bread. Wont try to make ahead! You can also find me sharing more inspiration in Pinterest and Facebook. Ive just arrived in New Zealand where the standard is not quite the same. Oh well next time! Slainte! It's so much fun. Bake the bread until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400F. Wholemeal tastes better freshly ground. I am not a huge cook but Irish dinner on St Paddys day is an annual mini celebration of ours (like many Americans). Posted by: Helen B. Also because the flour is stoneground, Roberttold me, it gets a slightly roasted flavor from being heated up a bit during the milling process, which gives it that unique flavor. He also added, proudly And of course its local Irish wheat!. Before we took the long walk to Dn Aonghasa Fort we had brown bread and soup at Tigh Nan Phaidi Caf on Inishmore. Who's hosting that event? I am using only stoneground flours from a local mill, its not more expensive surprisingly. Cuban Vaca Frita - Latin Style Flank Steak. I guess Ill try again tomorrow. Serve slices of the bread with butter and jam. Copyright I have never tried this bread! Shape the dough into a circle and place on a lined baking sheet. But, I think Ill try again with this recipe. Give the dough just a few quick squeezes to pull it together. Recipe Instructions To mix the dough: Mix all of the ingredients together, using the smaller amount of flour. I have been looking for a quick whole grain bread recipe and this seems to be the one. Maybe I'll have to give that a try. Maureen: I saw that recipe online but the picture accompanying it wasnt the same bread, which made me suspicious. Thank you again for trying my Brown Bread! With the eggs and the wet texture it sounds similar to a banana bread batter. I pretty much lived on brown bread when we visited Ireland years ago! I live in America and do not buy bread ever because of the American propensity for adding sugar. Which would be better? Love your work so much :). Ill definitely be making this one. So wholesome, hearty, real. Always interesting to see how much of a dish is down to technique and how much is down to specific local ingredients. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. of water, not 50ml. They believe that everyone should know how to make a basic loaf of bread. We may earn a commission from your purchases. Hi Stuart! Over in the restaurant kitchen, theyshowed me the pans they use, which Timsaid are (or were, before they got so heavily seasoned) nonstick loaf pans that they oiled thenbaked the heck out of. Theyve been using the same pans for years obviously. It looks as if youve finally got a copy editor, or maybe a new one; its so much easier to read than before. What a wonderful piece! I will be making this bread often. I'm happy that you liked it! Hi Hanna, Wow - when someone from Ireland says my brown bread is excellent, I consider that truly high praise! Get David's newsletter sent right to your Inbox! Special Savings. Hopefully that will do the trick and I can keep on making it like that! On a few occasions Ive lowered the sugar to 2 tbl and add 1 tbl of Lyles Golden Syrup (purchased at Cost Plus World Market) and its the right amount of sweetness for me, and I dont have a sweet tooth at all. We did have a fun day in Dublin, which I wrote about in another post that includes a recipe for Potato Soup: https://hungryenoughtoeatsix.com/dublin-ireland-and-a-recipe-for-creamy-potato-soup-my-latest-delectable-destination/ It is a very beautiful country, and the people there are lovely. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes at 450F. Hi Nancy, molasses. Turn the bread dough onto a lightly floured cutting board. (I have a Polish background). I've also called the King Arthur Flour Bakers' Hotline for help, and . 'Brown bread' is the Cockney slang word for 'dead'. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease 8 inch round cake pan. of water is a little less than 10 oz., a cup and a half, 12 oz. Add extra texture to traditional buttermilk brown breads with a few tablespoons of wheat germ and steel-cut oats. (I think that sounds like a great idea.) Thanks for sharing this traditional Irish recipe! Since cold fermentation allows the bread to develop a more complex flavor, that could help give a boost to regular flour if people cant find or order the authentic kind. I sifted out the coarse bits of some medium-grind cornmeal and swapped the coarse cornmeal for some flour in the hopes of getting more of the crunchy texture you describe. I can usually find Odlums online. I ordered the King Arthurs Irish Style Hi Pamela, I completely agree that it would be worth the price of airfare to be back in the land of brown bread! Hi Carol! While many Americans know about Irish soda bread, made with all-purpose flour, raisins and/or caraway seeds, Irish brown bread (also called brown soda bread) is a true Irish staple thats on menus and tables in Ireland every day. Stumbled my way here while researching apricot kernels, but have been searching for a simple hearty bread recipe to use for experimentation. Beards version doesnt have any white flour and more salt(too much salt really). I will have to give it a try with honey, that sounds so delicious. Yum, I have never tried this. Ethnicspoon.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. I'll give it one more try. I could include it in the post. However it was the best Irish brown bread I have ever eaten. When I started experimenting with a Brown Bread recipe after visiting Ireland, I added sugar since it's normally included in quick breads. Sign up for my newsletter and get my FREE guidebook to the best bakeries and pastry shops in Paris You can get Irish-style flour from the mill in Ireland (linked in the post) or from. Although the loaf looked very like yours, it was heavy, felt gluey in my mouth and tasted bland. When we traveled to Ireland we had many versions of Brown Bread (including in Clifden!) Thank you Daithi, for sharing this with me and for making my Brown Bread this St. Patrick's Day. My family is from Galway (Connemara) and its very close to what we have in that region of Ireland. I used Hodgson Mills organic stone-ground whole-wheat flour, available in bulk at Whole Foods, and 10 grams of SAF Red instant yeast (a smidge over 21/4 teaspoonsthe King Arthur Flour website says to use 33% of the weight of fresh yeast when converting to instant), which I mixed in with the flours and salt in step one. Happy baking to you. Thank you so much Maggie! Instructions. This bread looks fantastic. Your blogs are a joy to read and I have especially enjoyed this one. I was wondering if I could also make a lighter version by using honey instead of molasses for a change every once in a whileanyone have any thoughts on that? This time I changed it by adding 2 full cups of buttermilk, some rough cracked whole grain hot cereal, rounded cupfuls of flour to make a bigger loaf, and baked it it in a loaf pan because I like a taller loaf. As an aside, Was very hopeful about this recipe as I adore Irish brown bread, but have made it twice and am disappointed. Robert from Kells was actually at the festival, had I known, I would love to have introduced you two. It's perfect with breakfast, as a mid-afternoon snack or to whet the appetite for dinner. You can also freeze the bread; wrap it very well and seal tightly in a freezer bag to protect the flavor and texture. Brown tends to lean towards the denser side of the spectrum, basically equivalent to a whole-wheat or multigrain bread . Get my newsletter for a tasty mix of food, Paris, life, and travel! Reduce the heat to 400F then bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped. The recipes I am using and I am baking bread for years now are using not more than 2-3 g of yeast. Will definitely make again but will use less sugar. - each made by hand in home kitchens, and I liked the subtle differences that each baker gave this traditional bread to make it their own. Everywhere we stopped we found slices and loaves, and we quickly fell in love with this hearty, brown soda bread. and of course in U.S. measurements 16 oz. So give this simple bread a try. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, rolled oats, steel cut oats, baking soda, and salt. It was a tasty complement to my Crock Pot corned beef and veg and Jimmies and ginger (Jameson reserve, ginger ale, and a lime twist) drink in honor of St. Patricks Day. This one was the one! Preheat the oven to 400 F. Have ready an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven or a baking sheet. I wasted no time in creating my own homemade Irish Brown Bread recipe so my family and I can treat ourselves to slices any morning. is about 340 ml. . Coarsely ground from red whole wheat, this soft flour is our version of the whole grain flours used to bake traditional Irish breads. I recently purchased a mill and have been using it for pain au levain and cookies. It is coarser than flour and finer than semoule that would be used for couscous : Traditional brown soda isn't sweet. Totally missed the part about flattening it out to about 2", so it was quite a bit thicker but just baked until it had the hollow sound. Hi Patricia, Odlums Coarse is the flour I use. I have it with just a little Kerrygold butter and its delicious! In a mixing bowl, combine the flours, wheat germ, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Could this recipe be baked in two bread tins instead of rounds? Thank you for this great recipe. Can we make this bread in a loaf tin? Hi Ali, Thanks for trying my Brown Bread! If you look at my recipe card, there is a tab for "Metric" - click on this and all of the measurements will be converted to grams and milliliters. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat bran, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in medium bowl. Where I live we would never add sugar to brown bread, but I know it differs throughout the country. I appreciate you trying my recipe and letting me know this. Please stop by on Monday at 7, so we can see your amazing projects. I had some Odlums extra coarse flour that needed to be used up. We've been told it's a little taste of Ireland .