They barrel out of their plane from an altitude of "A lot of people who see the Thunderbirds or the Blue Angels. Michelle Curran didn't become interested in flying until college, but she certainly was not afraid of heights growing up in Wisconsin. "Sometimes it's hard to be the only female in a squadron," she said. Copyright 2023 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. Weve detected you are on Internet Explorer. I'm sure most in your class were feeling the same way. She demonstrates the capabilities of the F-16 during performances. I practiced flexing my leg muscles for the next several hours.

fbq('init', '461723204026319'); Previously, many opportunities had come up that I was drawn to but had stopped myself from pursuing because of the risk of failure that came with them. I do that through keynote speeches and via content creation on LinkedIn. Demerly is an experienced parachutist, holds advanced SCUBA certifications, has climbed the highest mountains on three continents and visited all seven continents and has flown several types of light aircraft. Museum, at Republic Airport (flights available over Memorial (It was not known whether Sundays show would also be canceled for weather). Maj. Curran is widely known as a member of theU.S. Air Force Flight Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds. I actually helped buckle Brie Larson into this very seat, one replies. Michelle "MACE" Curran Public figure Speaker, Author, Thunderbird Pilot 19-21' Lover of mountains, fitness, and adventure! These pilots are at the mercy of a lot of g-forcesthat is, the gravitational force caused by rapid accelerationand its intense on the body. Maj. Curran is broadly referred to as a member of the U.S. Air Force Flight Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds. 6 [the opposing solo] gives the challenge and the response, but I can hear his energy. He reflects that he is just a standard Air force fighter pilot, flying every day, multiple times a day to master maneuvers. Except for the pretty paint and smoke, the maneuvers the Thunderbirds fly are the same for what are used in their combat training. This page was last edited on 1 December 2020, at 21:01. She isthe fifth female pilot and only the second female solo pilot in the 65-year history of the Thunderbirds. Curran also provided unique and candid transparency about her career and personal life, effectively leveraging social media to bring airshow fans and aviation enthusiasts inside the world of a fighter pilot. The fighter is flown by the United States Navy and Marines. It was during this time that she realized the flying was incredible, but the best part was inspiring others to overcome their fears and pursue their dreams. She went on to complete the Squadron Officer School in 2014. Once she visited a base and heard the roar of the jets, though, she knew she wanted to pursue the pilot route. A native of Orlando, Florida, he reflects that he first saw the Thunderbirds when he was just four or five years old, and was so awed, he wanted to fly. Her favorite maneuver is. Bull Air Force sky diving team had Amy Chmelecki. and Jack Links Beef Jerky teamed up to create a one-of-a-kind plane, theScreamin Maj. Curran is broadly referred to as a member of the U.S. Air Force Flight Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds. Her favorite maneuver is the vertical roll. I know what I need to do. I couldnt be more excited to meet her if she were Beyonce. Im in my happy place. Send comments or questions to [emailprotected] Tweet @TravelFeatures. Four years into that time she became the first female pilot to fly for the 457th Fighter Squadron. We know each other a sisterhood.. PORTSMOUTH Maj. Michelle Curran, 34, is the lead solo pilot of the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. Curran and her family enjoy their home city of Las Vegas as a hub to adventure from. In 2021, she was named the Distinguished Alumna of the Year by the University of St. Thomas. All rights reserved. In addition to her role with the Thunderbirds, Mace Curran is an experienced F-16 combat fighter pilot with 163 combat hours over Afghanistan in support of operations Resolute Support and Freedoms Sentinel. Pilots call it "pulling 9 G's. Have a question? the same aeronautical techniques as the original Wright Brothers plane in 1903. Demerly studied journalism at Henry Ford College in Dearborn, Michigan. Usually I'll go in the swimming pool in the backyard for a few minutes. It's so important for others to hear your struggles. country, mimicking the astonishing stunts of Sean D. Tucker, a living legend Today there's only one female Thunderbird pilot: Major Michelle Curran, a 32-year-old Wisconsin native who flies the coveted Opposing Solo position. You can update your choices at any time in your settings. I knew it was something I wanted to do not that the dream would come true but there are steps and I could do the best I could., He didnt imagine then he would become one of the Thunderbirds, and even now, reflects being proficient is one thing, but it takes luck and timing to get the F-16.. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. View Michelle Curran's business profile as Member at U.S. Air Force. n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments)};if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n; Michelle Curran (born 1987) is a former United States Air Force (USAF) major and a pilot in the USAF Air Demonstration Squadron, or Thunderbirds. plane, it is astonishing to learn that the plane is a Taperwing Waco made been flying since 14 year old, soloed at 16 year old and started aerobatic 5,000 ft. (they have a spare chute). The event over Memorial Day Weekend draws almost 400,000 in the course of three days. Col. John Caldwell is the Commander/Leader of the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron. "I'm a left-wing solo. Among the 12 pilots, there will be only one woman, Major Michelle Curran, helping her fellow Thunderbirds make the occasion special. And she does it upside down (almost the equivalent of Ginger Rogers doing it backwards and in heels?). This is Currans third season with the Thunderbirds. | By Destination Brevard | Facebook Log In Forgot Account? t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, She just has one requirement for her life, post-Thunderbirds: I want to keep flying.. Maj. Curran flew as Thunderbird #6, opposing solo, before her advancement to Thunderbird #5, lead solo in the 2020/21 airshow season. Features Syndicate,goingplacesfarandnear.com. The amount I needed to learn was so overwhelming that I avoided it by procrastinating. In the Facebook post announcing her career transition, Michelle Curran wrote: Ill be continuing to serve in a part time capacity and pursing some goals in the business world. What happens if you unwittingly commit a faux pas in front of one of the best fliers in the world? Applying to the team is intimidating and there is a good change of not getting hired, of failure. but I did get hired. I think it's important you all understand what drives me and why I made such a surprising leap! The show, which would have been the 17th at Jones Beach State Park, brought special excitement because of having been cancelled last year due to COVID-19, and the opportunity for crowds albeit at 50 percent capacity to gather again is a vital sign of the regions return to normalcy. Against the odds, I had done it. . Drink a beer. Lieutenant Colonel Eric Gorney, call sign "Miami," is in charge of flying civilians. The thing that makes it great are the people I serve with- everyone, the team I work alongside every day. I make a mental note to not take this for granted anymore. For the best Barrons.com experience, please update to a modern browser.GoogleFirefox This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. But I didnt talk to her because I was so scared of her. Theyre friends now, she adds. Focus.. Major Michelle Curran, call sign "Mace," is the only female fighter pilot on the Thunderbirds, the Air Force's demonstration team. The Super Bowl was the first time Curran's parents had seen their daughter performing with the Thunderbirds. They practice so much, it is all quite routine, even the communications between pilots. Its especially important to have strong leg, calf, and thigh musclestheyre what you squeeze while going into a maneuver with a high amount of g-forces in order to keep the blood in your head from pooling into your lower extremities. "I just want to see the (Thunderbird) planes. Play Video People would send photos and such, showing how moved they were to see the flyover. Its all very professional in the air with the comm. In the Facebook put up saying her profession transition, Michelle Curran wrote: Ill be continuing to serve in a part time capacity and pursing some goals in the business world. Today theres only one female Thunderbird pilot: Major Michelle Curran, a 32-year-old Wisconsin native who flies the coveted Opposing Solo position. There wasnt a female pilot at the time, but a woman was narrating the air show from the ground and Curran was in awe. That decision to change my mindset completely changed my trajectory. MACE started her career at Undergraduate Pilot training, earning one of only two fighter aircraft spots available and going on to fly the F-16. But when were down on the ground, and talk to each other, we might say, Wow, we worked hard. Or We really crushed it., I do normal things in the morning. Their one free day a week is Wednesday, so Curranwho recently married her husband, a U.S. Marine Corps veteransays she keeps her time off simple: Laundry. Contact us by clicking the button below. And I am not alone. She flies position #5, lead solo, one of the most visible positions on the team. In Captain Marvel, Brie Larson plays Carol Danvers, an Air Force fighter pilot who uses the special powers she gains during an accident to save the galaxy. I will look back.. In addition to the recommended hydration, pilots must stay in shape. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and has logged more than 3,100 flight hours with 667 hours of combat pilot experience. six F-16 Fighting Falcons that roar through the skies, to demonstrate the power Maj. Curran is widely known as a member of the U.S. Air Force Flight Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds. At this state park and many others around the state, free COVID-19 vaccines were being administered (with two-day passes to state parks as an additional incentive). American flag to a tiny target on Jones Beach. Curran additionally supplied distinctive and candid transparency about her profession and private life, successfully leveraging social media to convey airshow followers and aviation fans contained in the world of a fighter pilot. The 2005 Medford High School graduate attended the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota,on an ROTC scholarship. He expects he will go back to a combat air squadron after this assignment is finished, and based on his age and experience, could become the director of operations. Anyone with information about Curran's case is asked to call the Riverside County Sheriff's Office at (909) 341-8817 or the Metropolitan Police Department's Missing Persons Detail at 229-2907. . I was told by others again and again how they could never do what I was doing and that I must be so brave. I appreciate your transparency and realness! Though theyve only been allowed to fly fighter jets since 1993, women have been enlisting in the USAF proper since 1976. With a powerful story and breathtaking visuals, Michelle, also known as Mace, takes her audience on a surprising and compelling journey through her career as a Fighter Pilot, culminating in her role as the Lead Solo Pilot for the Air Force Thunderbirds. Self-nominated at 04:00, 10 November 2020 (UTC). Facebook; Created by AviationFreak (talk). She first saw the squadron during her F-16 training, when they came to her base. I'll go from 150 feet above the ground to 15,000 in a few seconds while rolling. The Air Forces official air demonstration team, designated the 3600th Air Demonstration Unit, was activated at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona in 1953. He is a 2005 graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, and commissioned from Officer Training School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in 2010. was particularly exciting with the infusion of new energy. a different plane from the Oracle Challenger 3 biplane. Drawing from her 13 years as a Fighter Pilot, Curran delivers actionable content and wit to leave audiences both informed and entertained. And, keep others in the saddle who are struggling. day, the Coast Guard, with fewer members than can fit in Yankee Stadium, save It took me that entire three-year assignment to take ownership for where I was at and decide that only I could change it. I suddenly struggled to succeed for the first time in my life. us atfacebook.com/NewsPhotoFeatures, A Visit With the USAF Thunderbirds on Long Island, Ways to See Long Islands Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach Despite Weather, https://www.facebook.com/BethpageAirShow/, 16th Annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach, Long Island, Honors Spirit of Memorial Day. Im hoping to continue to do that through this platform, public speaking, a childrens booklets just say I have a lot of goals and I hope youll continue to come along for the journey. In conversations around the U.S. during three air show seasons, Curran told, about her role on the team and its opportunity to, showcase the Air Force experience and let people know what is possible. You look absolutely terrifying (Locked-In). Michelle is related to James Curren and Samantha Robles as well as 3 additional people. This shift in airshow schedules meant that Maj. Currans social media contributions became even more important for maintaining the relevance of the Thunderbirds for public audiences. Pilots train from March to November, often away from the teams home base in Las Vegas. hometown hero (from Melville), thrills spectators in his Zivko Edge 540 I made a commitment to start saying ''yes" to those from then on. RELATED:Kenneth Sweet survived Pearl Harbor attack, helped found Wisconsin Air National Guard, RELATED:Fly along on an F-16 while we tell you what will take its place at Truax Field. This system allows the plane to achieve feats other stunt planes are unable to Michelle is a native of Medford, Wisconsin, and has been in the Air Force nearly 10 years. 6 jet. Learn more in our Cookie Policy. In addition to her function with the Thunderbirds, Mace Curran is an skilled F-16 fight fighter pilot with 163 fight hours over Afghanistan in help of operations Resolute Support and Freedoms Sentinel. No. The flight surgeon who cleared me for my ride asked if I ever went to SoulCycle or ran marathons, two things that would make me better at handling g-forces. It can be seen onWABC-TV, as well as on WABCsConnected TV AppsonAmazon Fire TV,Android TV,Apple TV,andRoku. She flies place #5, lead solo, one of the vital seen positions on the group. Police at the time . It's a very unforgiving job if you make mistakes. Women weren't allowed to fly fighter jets in the Air Force for decades until Jeannie Marie Leavitt became the service's first female fighter pilot just 26 years ago. They also plan, along with a lot of family, to see her when the Thunderbirds fly at the Milwaukee Air &Water Show July 27-28 and an air show in Mankato, Minnesota, in June. Theres still a long way to go before the Air Force hits total parity, but Curran doesnt see herself as an outlier. This button displays the currently selected search type. She has also served as an F-16 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, Texas. South China Seas, Pacific, Persian Gulf and wherever the US has forces.The air She reflects what it is like to be part of this very special team there are 130 on the team. Tom Demerly is a feature writer, journalist, photographer and editorialist who has written articles that are published around the world on TheAviationist.com, TACAIRNET.com, Outside magazine, Business Insider, We Are The Mighty, The Dearborn Press & Guide, National Interest, Russias government media outlet Sputnik, and many other publications. All upgraded press releases are ad-free! Select Accept to consent or Reject to decline non-essential cookies for this use. The helicopter is the only Source: "Major Michelle Curran, call sign "Mace," is the only female fighter pilot on the Thunderbirds." AviationFreak 01:11, 28 November 2020 (UTC) The thing that makes it great are the people I serve with- everyone, the team I work alongside every day. Like "Its definitely changing., Currans not sure yet what shell do when her time with the squadron is over, but common next careers for Thunderbirds include flying F-16s in active duty, taking on a leadership role, or making the shift into commercial airlines. The second best result is Michelle Lee Curran age 40s in Ocala, FL in the Silver Springs Shores neighborhood. Since Curran began . Im hoping to continue to do that through this platform, public speaking, a childrens booklets just say I have a lot of goals and I hope youll continue to come along for the journey. For one, Id been told most people who go up in a F-16 for the first time throw up or pass out (for reasons Ill explain later). There is a charge of adrenalin, but once I take off, it is just focus. Former F-16 Instructor/Thunderbird Pilot, USAF. The thing that makes it great are the people I serve with- everyone, the team I work alongside every day. At another we hit 9 g'sthats close to the highest g-force these planes can take. It means she's front and center in one of. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School and has logged more than 1,700 flight hours, including more than 470 combat hours in support of Operation Inherent Resolve and Operation Freedoms Sentinel. Looking for the right speaker for your audience? The three years on the team was the most fun flying of my career. Drawing the audience in with action-packed stories tied to lessons of grit, perseverance, determination, and teamwork, she shares hard-won lessons on how to reframe challenges, shift your mindset to shift your trajectory, realize the power to success that lies within you, and turn the voice of self-doubt into your biggest cheerleader on the path to success. the US Army Parachute Team, theGolden Knights, delivering the She earned a degree in criminal justice in 2009 because she consideredbecominga crime scene investigatorbut also thought it would be cool to become a pilot. I was sure everyone else was better than I was and knew more than I did. They plan to travel to Las Vegas, where she recently moved to be near Nellis Air Force Base, early next month to see the Thunderbirds perform a flyover at a NASCAR race. It shows the impact we are having, she says. that, These are long days sometimes, but this is the best job in the world. MACE is a 2009 received her degree from the University of St. Thomas where she graduated magna cum laude with a degree in Criminal Justice. Meanwhile, the part of this job that I really love is inspiring others. In a Facebook put up from Wednesday afternoon, October 27, 2021, USAF Maj. Michelle Curran, name signal Mace, introduced she is, about to make a big career pivot and will be leaving the Active Duty Air Force in the new year. Trust and teamwork are obviously essential to the Thunderbirds and any successful team. Taylor is a 2010 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, where he majored in Systems Engineering. However, a livestream of Fridays practice sessions include footage from go-pros from the pilots and a Thunderbirds chase plane that shadowed the F-16s in their thrilling maneuvers is airing on Saturday, 10-3 pm. At 24 years old, I had achieved a goal I had worked toward for over five years. Flying under the callsign "MACE," she was the second woman ever to fly in the lead solo position for . Really, what we do is life and death sometimes," Curran said. Matt Chapman, She went for it, even competing for a highly coveted pilot spot while still in college. Clemens, Michigan when the team staged from the U.S. for an airshow performance in Canada during the global pandemic lockdown. Kenneth Sweet survived Pearl Harbor attack, helped found Wisconsin Air National Guard, Fly along on an F-16 while we tell you what will take its place at Truax Field, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Curran has been in the Air Force for 11 years, but flying wasnt always her goal. 9 positive Gs and 6 negative Gs. The $10 event passes to the show can be returned in exchange for two free passes to visit any state park. It was something that had popped into my mind from time to time, but I had never set it as a goal because I didn't think I was good enough. During a conversation at the Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan for the Thunder Over Michigan Airshow in 2021, Curran told. So in a way, women make for more natural fighter pilots. She spends so much time flying upside down, that the number 5 on the aircraft is painted upside . In this workshop, combat veteran Michelle Curran draws from her experiences as an F-16 fighter pilot and USAF lead solo pilot for the Air Force Thunderbirds to walk audiences through interactive exercises to help them identify characteristics of their own inner critic and the reality (or lack thereof) of what it says, as well as provide tools and resources for overcoming the war within. We lift each other up, we accomplish more as a team. One way to mitigate the nauseating effects is to drink lots of water, but that meant double the bathroom breaks on the drive there. I'll be honest I don't have a favorite in the Super Bowl," said Cook. There was a good portion of my first assignment where I would have walked away if that were an option. This pressure often leads to us becoming our own harshest critic and standing in the way of our own success. Tom Demerly served in an intelligence gathering unit as a member of the U.S. Army and Michigan National Guard. This is Currans third season with theThunderbirds. (where the plane falls from the sky), 4 knife edge tumblers, inside-outside Go fly girls! Before joining the Thunderbirds, Curran completed high-impact combat missions across Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, where the challenges were tough, but the rewards were greater. The whole squad gets together, talk about dumb mistakes and then you get a call sign. But the origin remains a secret. The schedule is grueling. Initially I credit the breathtaking beauty and the roller-coaster-like thrill of the experience for this, but then I remember another thing the flight surgeon told me: Women tend to have a lower center of gravity, giving them something of a natural advantage against high g-forces. solos race at each other at combined speed of 1000 mph. other at incredible speed. In addition to flying the No. My favorite moment was when this little girlshe was probably six or sevencame up to the autograph line after a show and said, Im going to take your job. I was like, 'Yes! Im also excited to get into the general aviation world and hopefully also try my hand at helicopters. During a conversation at the Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan for the Thunder Over Michigan Airshow in 2021, Curran told TheAviationist.com that, These are long days sometimes, but this is the best job in the world. Curran has worked with the Thunderbird team media personnel to bring scintillating in-cockpit viewpoint video of the lead solos dynamic routine during the Thunderbird demonstration, including thrilling video of opposing maneuvers with Thunderbird #6 and her signature vertical rolls during the teams high show. In her less visible but equally crucial role with the Thunderbirds, Mace Curran served as Chief of Standardization and Evaluation for the team, a leadership role which will positively impact the trajectory of the team in upcoming seasons. Among the thrilling maneuvers by the US Air Force Thunderbirds, is this high-speed opposing attack by solo pilots Michelle Curran and Kyle Oliver, seen during Friday's rehearsal of the 17 th annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park, Long Island over Memorial Day weekend. the most daring feats: US Air Force Thunderbirds pilot Michelle Curran, document,'script','https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js');

Curran entered the Air Force in 2009 with a Reserve Officer Training Corps commission from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn. She completed the Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training in Columbus, Miss., and was assigned to the F-16 at Misawa Air Base, Japan. WAYS TO SEE LONG ISLANDS BETHPAGE AIR SHOW AT JONES BEACH DESPITE WEATHER, 16TH ANNUAL BETHPAGE AIR SHOW AT JONES BEACH, LONG ISLAND, HONORS SPIRIT OF MEMORIAL DAY, PHOTO HIGHLIGHTS FROM 15THANNUAL MEMORIAL DAY BETHPAGE AIR SHOW AT JONES BEACH, LONG ISLAND, 2021 Travel Features Syndicate, a division of Workstyles, Inc. All rights reserved. Just in case. Prior to joining the Thunderbirds, he served as the Assistant Director of Operations of the 555th Fighter Squadron and Director of Operations for the 31st Operations Support Squadron at Aviano Air Base, Italy. the performances repeat year after year, or follow a two-year cycle, this show Drawing on over a decade in high-performance aviation and her own transformation, Mace teaches audiences what they are capable of when they let go of fear, lean into vulnerability, and make bold choices. #SCI is proud to announce Michelle "Mace" Curran will speak at our upcoming convention in Nashville. These are not breathable, she adds, tugging at her flight jumpsuit. This week, I want to give you a bit of perspective on why I chose to stop flying F-16s and become an entrepreneur. The City of Boston is seeking artists to redesign these . He is in his third year on the Thunderbirds. She reflects that last year, the personal contact with people was lacking, but the team did city- flyovers, honoring health workers, essential workers and first responders. 7 jet. I'm just getting started! During his performance, Ret. I thought, Thats really cool. Prior to the Thunderbirds, she was an F-16 Instructor Pilot and Flight Commander at Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. Hang out with my husband as much as I can. aviation lawyer who knew all too well the risks, and she because her father You are truly a Hero. His army expertise consists of being Honor Graduate from the U.S. Army Infantry School at Ft. Benning, Georgia (Cycle C-6-1) and as a Scout Observer in a reconnaissance unit, Company F, 425th INF (RANGER/AIRBORNE), Long Range Surveillance Unit (LRSU). US Coast Guard demonstrated a rescue by helicopter into churning seas on a typical Here are photos from the practice performance including: Show headliners the United States Air Force Thunderbirds returning to the Bethpage Air Show for their 8thappearance, performing some new maneuvers; the United States Army Golden Knights Parachute Team performing in their 15thBethpage Air Show; the United States Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II, the first aircraft to be designed for close air support of ground forces (and built on Long Island); and the U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue Demonstration.