If you apply for romance books, your preferred categories needs to have romance in it. This bio is sent alongside every single request you make on NetGalley, so it needs to make a very good impression! That 80% figure is no joke; authors and publishers rarely approve reviewers with spotty feedback histories. Email Now dont forget to go read Lucys post about how to use Edelweiss, as well as the other posts I listed in this guide! And youre done. arent necessary. You can filter for genre but there aren't that many ReadNow, I just look at it every few days and scan through the latest. Ive been using Netgalley for about a year and have been approved for about 70ish books. Oh and another question: are the reviews you post the exact ones from your site or do you shorten them? I know my Profile needs some sprucing up and your comments really are very useful. If your bio makes your head swim with the numbers, 99% says its going to make the publicists head swim too! however, social media followers dont take up that much space! Netgalley is a site which is primarily used to get advance copies of books to industry figures so that they can take some action that will sell copies of a book when it comes out (like, writing a review that encourages people to buy books! This is really helpful. Those are all things that should be included in your Netgalley profile, and which will encourage publishers to think, THIS is the kind of person I want to have reading our advance digital galleys.. Loved reading your Tips!! No worries! Click here to browse our publisher list. Consider making it visible so that if publishers ever have a question or want to work with you on a specific campaign, they can reach out! It can be tempting to share information about yourself that you think might help your Profile stand out to publishers, but your linked blog and social media channels are the best way to show off your vibrant personality. Below youll find tips sure to help whether youre a NetGalley newbie or a long-time member whose Profile needs a fresh look. This was super helpful thank you so much for posting this!! Youll still have to go through the anxiety-inducing request process every time, and some people may take weeks to respond. I am 90 years old and love reading mysteries and reviewing them. Publishers make digital review copies and audiobooks available for the NetGalley community to discover, request, read, and review. Lets start at the bottom and make it fun! They all look very good and interesting. Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media reach, is helpful for publishers. Set a calendar reminder to revisit your Profile every few months. Sign up for the the First Second newsletter to receive updates and other information about Macmillan Publishers books, products, and services that may be of interest to you. Some publishers dont provide a lot of information either, so its been mostly guessing what they are looking for in general until my bio looked somewhat decent. Hello, thank you for this it is really helpful for anyone setting up a netgalley profile! I hope youre doing okay. Do I still need to include it in the bio? This can mean the department you work in, the events or programs you plan, any purchasing youre in charge of, the outlets youve written for, and more. My holiday was wonderful, thank you! Get started by signing in or joining for free. It takes some time, but Ive gotten to read so many books I was looking forward to reading! If you want to join the #NewBloggers support chat group, just drop me a comment here or a DM on Twitter. I have a third one out I havent gotten to yet that looks promising! Dont: Get too personal and thank you!! If youre an experienced reviewer, you likely know what it takes to be successful on a site like NetGalley, and have an advantage purely by virtue of your professional associations. Both offer a standard listing and email support, and the latter includes a slot in the NetGalley newsletter, which goes out 6-7 times a month. Going to work on my Profiled this weekend. Look through which Categories youve selected, check that your links are working, and reread your Bio. Edit: putting Self or N/A under company is totally fine. Do you host any online reading events? You can find them by navigating to a title's Feedback page or by clicking the purple gear icon on the right-hand side of the Manage Titles page. I just updated it now! . Just wish I was still there sunning myself haha. I am new to Netgalley, this helps a lot! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. There are lots of people who request books through First Seconds Netgalley account who I dont personally know. (LogOut/ Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. But before that,if you want to find the other #NewBloggers 101 posts, just expand this list: NetGalley and Edelweiss are platforms where you can request advance reader copies of books in exchange to your honest review technically for free (you pay for it with blood, sweat and tears!) Chances are, youll want the profile youre reading to be: The list could go on, but I think this is roughly it. Increase the visibility and value of your reviews, and make your review process more efficient, by connecting your account to your blog and social platforms. Thank you for making this, I have been at a loss for what to write into my NetGalley bio. If youre not comfortable sharing your own photo, use the official brand logo from your bookstore, library, or school. Requesting on both platforms is quite simple. One thing I forgot to mention, but have now added, is that remember to update your stats reasonably often to keep everything up to date . Blogging Calendars. If youre a bookseller whos a member of the ABA, a librarian whos a member of the ALA, someone who the publishing staff person knows professionally, the answer is obviously yes. Another wonderful post, Zuky And so helpful! These roles include bookseller, educator, librarian, media, or reviewer; you can choose to provide more specific details as well. Having your work on another persons blog lends you social credit that will impress people looking for reviews, especially if theyre familiar with that blogger. and share what you like in your profile/bio. A lot of the time, this is a really easy decision! Goodreads: I post all of my reviews on my Goodreads account which Im an active user of. Do you pick up the occasional shift for your local bookstore? First of all, you should check out Lucys @ That Book Gal guide to Edelweiss. Do: Share your favorite authors You will find your profile at the top of the dashboard: And then you just fill it out, copy pasting the text into the text box: The rest you will do when requesting the book for the first time, and it will save your preferences for the next time! Once youve submitted your feedback, you can request more proofs, and the whole cycle begins anew. Use NetGalley for free to request, read, and recommend digital review copies before they are published. Ive only had done 2 read nows so far (busy with a class until next week) and one I DNFed already. Im not sure on a picture, I would guess it does help a little. Thank you for these tips. I think a good way to start is check out the READ NOW books. Though its true anyone can sign up to NetGalley as a consumer reviewer, priority book selection is given to bloggers, industry pros, and traditional reviewers at least at first. Typos and links that arent working can be a sign of a lack of attention to detail, so be sure to give your Bio a final proofread every time you update it. Include information about how you use books (and audiobooks) from NetGalley in your classroom. I just wanted to make a sort of follow up post after the anti-piracy thread regarding Netgalley. Your email address will not be published. As for Edelweiss while it does not have a ratio as such, its still not good overloading yourself with books, as youll struggle and might even have to join myState of the ARC meme or #ARCsAnonymous group to keep up with your stack. This is especially important if youre a bookseller, librarian, or educator who also talks about and reviews books outside of your job. There are six member types on NetGalley (reviewer, book trade professional, librarian, bookseller, educator, journalist or member of the media) and publishers have different goals for working with each one. Publishers are looking for thoughtful, professional reviewers and your Bio is the first taste of your writing that they get. Im still new to the book blogging world so this will help me out a ton. Profile Picture Thanks so much and yes its a shame that NG dont provide more support when it comes to the bio stuff . Provide links to your preferred platforms You have the option to make this email address hidden or visible to publishers. So if you click request (more about that in Lucys post), this is what comes up: The two important parts here arethe strength of your profileandwhy you are requesting this title. Book recommendations come in many forms, and its helpful for publishers to see if the books they approve you for may also end up in a listicle, Booktube video, Bookstagram picture, or more! You can withdraw your consent at any time. Trust book recommendations from real people, not robots . Try to stick to 3-5 authors to keep things simple. And when selecting your preferred Categories, its helpful to stick to the genres you cover in your role as a professional reader. :). Learn more about our use of cookies: Cookie Policy. Im also experiencing a major change in my personal life that is the worst negative possible I suppose. , No worries, Im glad it was useful for you . , Glad you could use it to update your bio! NetGalley is technically free to join as a reader/reviewer. As mentioned, you could try your hand at your own review blog, offer your work to other sites, or sign up as Reedsy Discovery reviewer and start picking up new titles right away! Your Bio is the perfect place to share this information with publishersas long as youre comfortable, of course! Social Media And Networking, What Tools Can Help Me Be An Organized Blogger? If you do have a website even if its just to host the main pieces of your portfolio add a link to that too. For example, if youre a blogger with your own regular newsletter, you might mention a relevant book to your own subscribers. If you want to cut to the chase and find out first whether Netgalley is right (or should we say write) for you, we recommend taking this quick quiz: Find out which review community is best for your style. If youre a Reviewer, clearly state where your reviews appear. As you go, make any necessary updates. ), I had no idea there was an age thing?! You can read. Im sure you could sneak on there if you wanted , Nice post, thanks! Im going to revisit it now! Due to issues with my old iPad, I never signed up for a NetGalley account. I hope I can get that opportunity. And I just requested stuff and eventually got my first approval. Publishers can see which genres you prefer to read and review, and by also sharing your favorite authors, you can help provide an even better understanding of the types of books within those genres you most enjoy. I love using ReadNow to find books I wouldn't have encountered otherwise, I don't mind not getting advance copies of the huge buzzy books because I know my library will buy them anyway, but ReadNow has helped me find some indie or small press authors I've really taken to. Even book-related information like the age you were when you first learned how to read, whether or not you read to your children, how big your book collection is, etc. document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', (event) => { I blog about all sorts of topics in books empathy, culture, adventure cake. Change). [1] [2] Publishers that offer e-galleys include Hachette , HarperCollins Publishers , Penguin Random House , Simon & Schuster , and many others in the US , the UK , Australia . Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, unconditionally and irrevocably in love with romance books. First, youll need to wade through a deluge of other titles some interesting, some not-so-much to prove youre a committed and high-quality reviewer. These are our Netgalley watchwords. Check out our list of 17 sites where you can get paid to read and review. You pick a book you like, you hit the button. With Discovery, unlike on NetGalley, you dont have to wait for your requests to be dealt with; once your reviewer application is approved, you can pick up whichever books youd like. thank you again! Netgalley makes a big deal about the fact that having a good bio will make publishers more likely to accept your requests, however, they don't really give you a lot of support in terms of what publishers would like to see there, so you're left to your own devices to make something up. Netgalley makes a big deal about the fact that having a good bio will make publishers more likely to accept your requests, however, they dont really give you a lot of support in terms of what publishers would like to see there, so youre left to your own devices to make something up. I am starting to post my book reviews on Netgalley, but Im noticing that they arent separating into paragraphs and are just combining all togetherwhich looks ugly. Book Blogger Etiquette: How To Get Comments? As a reader I want more of those from people reviewing from ARC's. So you want to move from Blogger to (free) WordPress? I enjoyed mangas and graphic humor books (I got a lot of books from comic artists I follow on IG). We feel that everyone should love to read, and that that would make the world a better place. A little bit of everything! Great post, and definitely a useful tip for anyone new in NetGalley, and I think I consider myself quite a newbie there. Are you an OwnVoices reviewer? Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Your Profile includes a section titled Where I Share Reviews. This is a crucial place to provide links to any websites or social media where you share your book reviews, the media outlets where you cover books, or the bookstore, library, or school where youre employed. Any thoughts on how to get started or what to do? Email and WordPress included, I also include all my social stats seperately, As for finding your stats by month, go to your my site/stats homepage bit and then in the top bar click months, and then you filter it by each month! for more insight into what you should include in your Profile based on your member type. When you request there, you have the option to share why you're requesting a specific book, so that could possibly boost your chances. However, if you sign up for NetGalley with no reviewing experience whatsoever, its going to take a LOT of work to acquire the books you really want. If youre not comfortable sharing your own photo, use the official brand logo from your bookstore, library, or school. The upshot is that youll start to gain a respectable reputation on those platforms as well, which in turn makes you even more sought-after on NetGalley. By sharing your favorite authors, you can help provide an even better understanding of the types of books within those Categories you most enjoy. While your Bio should be professional and succinct, your linked blog and social media channels are the best way to stand out and show off your vibrant personality. This post describes my position exactly although about a year later xD Thanks for asking the question, and I'd love to be one of your -- probably many now -- goodreads friends. Make sure to include the department you work in, the events or programs you plan, any purchasing youre in charge of, the outlets youve written for, and more. Founded in 2008, NetGalley began gaining serious traction a few years later, buoyed by the rising tide of Goodreads and similar review sites. I Review everything I rate 4 or 5 stars. Curious where else you can flex your mad reviewing skills? Review Macmillan. People typically request copies because theyre reviewers, and they need the advance copy of the book to write a review from, or because theyre teachers or librarians or booksellers, and they need to read the advance copy to figure out how many books to buy for their classroom or library or bookstore. All that said, only you can decide which reviewing platform is best for you. (I believe its only a matter of time though. (My first one was from Berkley (publisher), and I love them, so I was excited.) (Have you noticed theres a message at the bottom, saying that you should rather leave links in the links section than in the text? Now, Im back to not having anything to read. Awesome info Kelly, really appreciate it. All Rights Reserved, 2010-2019 NetGalley LLC. does this blogger run some groups, participate in some street teams? You don't have to if you don't enjoy the extra effort. But also don't do that BS marketing pitch fake sounding reviews. Im getting my MLS now! or Im on the teen selection group at my local bookstore! or I have a blog that has 2,5000 followers!. Just like you. Yes! As it gets new views every day I thought it could do with a little update. When a publisher looks at your Profile, they can already see all of the Categories that youve selected (under the About You tab), so theres no need to list them again in your Bio. Your reviews and feedback are essential to publishers, authors, and other readers! How was your holiday?! Oh my goodness thank you! To that end, fill in your bio with past experiences and accomplishments that demonstrate both your enthusiasm and qualifications as a reviewer. I have purchase a few of your books over the years, but lately I have noticed that I have purchased several of your books. This pays off if you track it daily, I snagged ALL SCOT AND BOTHERED by Kerrigan Byrne on a 1-day ReadNow and I tried to alert a FB group I used to be in but it was already gone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43438815-all-scot-and-bothered, I gave ALL SCOT AND BOTHERED a sincere 5-star review and St Martin's apparently decided it likes me because now publishers have reached out and given me widgets (pre-approved links) to read other historicals. I had to add HTML codingweird. NetGalley helps publishers and authors promote digital review copies to book advocates and industry professionals. Youll receive an email when your request is approved or declined, which usually happens within a few days. Do: Share facts about yourself that are relevant Despite the vastness of the NetGalley community, these other sites are much better-known mainstream hubs. Click here for more insight into what you should include in your Profile based on your member type. Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. Im glad I could help! I like many genres scifi, speculative fiction, kidlit, literary, nonfiction. When she's not working, Kelly can be found color coordinating her bookshelves, eating Chipotle, and watching way too many baking shows. I am honest on my feedback. I love middle grade, womens, scifi and some literary too. Add your school name. Once youve selected all that apply, your request shoots off to the author or publisher. with a book publicist to learn more about the stats theyre looking for. Hey, I come from both sides of the perspective, as a reviewer and as an author who hands out ARCs on Net Galley. (Dont always 100% achieve but I hope it shows good intentions). I currently have XXXfollowers. Look through which Categories youve selected, check that your links are working, and reread your Bio. This was very helpful. Are you part of a book club? Congratulations to :01s New Associate Art Director, Andrew Arnold! , talk about the type of content that you create. Make sure to include the date you pulled your stats so its clear to a publisher how recent those numbers are. We help book advocates and industry professionals discover and recommend books to their audiences. This is so helpful. , Amazing! Im a newbie to NetGalley. Which is fine, I don't have a blog or even Twitter, and I have less than 100 GR friends, it makes sense. You can also connect social accounts to your NetGalley profile, which may be a boon if youre active in the reading/publishing communities on Twitter and Instagram. First Second is a division of Macmillan Publishers. If youre a new reviewer whos apprehensive about the scale and competitiveness of NetGalley, wed recommend starting a bit smaller. Its true that NetGalley is one of very few publicly accessible routes to those precious ARCs (i.e. Were going to talk about how to start doing it. When a publisher looks at your Profile, they can see the list of Categories that youve chosen, which means you dont need to worry about listing them in your Bio. Are you a member of an authors street team? Stats About to post my first review on NetGalley next week!! One of the top complaints from NetGalley authors is that giving away tons of free copies often only results in NetGalley feedback which may be useful to authors on a personal level, but not so much on a promotional level. But, I would like to believe that the authors and publishers would be interested in reviews by people that buy or borrow their books and just read for enjoyment. Do you review for Amazon VINE? ), Thanks and yes, thats something I need to do too , This is great! What Tools Can Help Me Be An Organized Blogger? Imagine you are a busy publicist. Along with your NetGalley stats, the information in your Profile is crucial in helping publishers decide whether to approve or decline your request. Great post! Do they champion a cause? If you prefer, you can replace your name with an auto-generated alias displayed next to your reviews instead Adding ABA or BA membership numbers to an account Here's how I've gotten the books: Author's Patreons/Facebook groups - this was how I first heard of NetGalley, an author's Patreon had a link to read an advance copy of her latest book. Do you review audiobooks as well as print/e-books? Publishers are looking for thoughtful, professional reviewers and your Bio is the first taste of your writing that they get. This here is her NetGalley profile: I hope Heena does not mind me borrowing her profile for a bit, but also, go check out her quite extensive list about what to tweak on your NetGalley profile, which includes putting your email on it (although Id make sure to remove @ so you dont get spam botted! Inactive reviewers wont be deleted, but low activity will severely damage one's chances of picking up first-choice proofs. Do you review audiobooks as well as print/e-books? Independent authors can choose between two six-month promotional packages, priced at $450 and $849 respectively. Basically I was hoping people could chime in with what to put in your bio and how they've had success getting approved. I don't know about Netgalley but there have been several threads of people asking for Goodreads friends. Thanks for the information! If I DNFed, I say why. Are you a blogger? Your Bio can help to give publishers insight into your role and how you can best work with them. Get unlimited access to our pool of fresh indie books submissions. Including not-as-relevant things like that may just distract a publisher from the fact that you are in fact a person who should be given an advance review copy of their book especially if theyre getting 50+ review copy requests via Netgalley every day that they then have to go through one by one. If you post reviews on your website or blog, indicate which is the primary place you . We want to help NetGalley members craft the best reviews possible. Here are a few Dos and Don'ts for your NetGalley profile, and 10 Things You Should Include in Your NetGalley Profile -- brought to you by We Are Bookish, NetGalley's editorial blog for members. Do: Include links to all of the places you talk about books https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/43524129-bree This is me if anyone wants more friends! As soon as youre ready to share your thoughts, navigate back to the books NetGalley page and click on the purple Give Feedback button in the upper-right corner. Your suggestions are very helpful. You can read. Thank you so much for writing this! Yes, you can have as many books as youd like! Your post has given me some help; however, I have no stats, dont have a blog, dont have a website, dont have anything. Litsy A Bookish Social Network, [NewBloggers] What Tools Can Help Me Be An Organized Blogger? All Rights Reserved. Are there any example profiles available to look at for best practices examples? Sorry for the slow reply to this, I always just copy and paste exactly! This helps to ensure youre sharing the most accurate information about your job, social media statistics, and reading preferences. Which is why Im not going to just give an example of my profile. Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for book recs, interviews, and favorites from our editor. Including important stats about your platforms, such as average monthly pageviews to your blog or social media following, is very helpful for publishers. Just add any social media/sites where you discuss books (even if it's just Goodreads!) When she's not working, Kelly can be found color coordinating her bookshelves, eating Chipotle, and watching way too many baking shows. Youll be asked what appeals to you about this book: author, cover, description, or I just keep hearing about it!. Any kind of cohesive, thoughtful article that shows you can evaluate and articulately comment on a given issue will serve you well in authors and publishers eyes. One of the problems I have is that when I try to post my review on Goodreads, I get a message prompt from them stating that they cannot locate the ISBN#. And Lenora Bell's Facebook group let you give your email and be invited to read LOVE IS A ROGUE, which was so worth it https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50706457-love-is-a-rogue, ReadNow - this is like 90% of my books, I just browse the ReadNow and look for interesting things. Join our powerful community to discover debut authors, future bestsellers, and indie favorites--and help books succeed. NetGalley reports are an incredibly useful tool for a publisher using the site. I currently have XXXfollowers. BRB, editing my NetGalley bio. Yes! The key to having the best experience possible on NetGalley starts with a strong Profile. So for every book, carve out some time to read write up your feedback on it. Netgalley is a book marketing platform through which authors and publishers pay to share proof copies of their latest books, prior to publication. Were really glad that people on Netgalley love to read. Not a Member? Also, try to review the ARCs you get on Goodreads as well! What Are Linkups All About? I think they want you to have an 80% review rate? As for the profile, if it says anything other than Excellent, click on the little pencil symbol beside it. you can select the Categories you cover in your role as a professional reader. I just found you! I havent done much with my bio since I first joined, and its not very good. I actually I struggled when I first decided to get on board with netgalley because I had no idea what to put on my bio I have something similar but in a much smaller scale I still get denied a lot of times but also approved!!