English: Rock pools and reflections at Sorrento Back Beach in Mornington Peninsula National Park, Victoria, Australia. Dont be alarmed by how close it is to shore, the rock pool is at least three metres deep no matter the tide. If you liked this article, I would love for you to share it with your friends. Thirdly, if you get there during low tide, it has some of the best rock pools to swim in. I hope you're enjoying my free travel guides & tips. Further along are great rockpools. Also, we visited mid-week and got so lucky to have the whole area to ourselves. On the back beaches of Mornington Peninsula sits the Blairgowrie jumping rock. It does not store any personal data. It also has a great local fish and chip shop and a bottle shop in the IGA. This part of the coast is known for rough and sudden waves that hit part of the rocks in a way that makes them shoot up in the air like a blowhole. Elyse is a money-conscious traveller who loves writing independent travel guides to help her readers get the most out of their travels. Make sure to check out the best Mornington Peninsula Breweries or Mornington Peninsulas wineries as well if you are in the area! From there itll be a clear and easy walk down towards the ocean. If you can, though, try and check the surf forecast and find out when low tide is if you plan to go swimming in the rock pools. It looks absolutely divine! When most people think of Melbourne beaches they dont imagine picturesque, sparkly blue rock pools that are hidden away from the crowds. One of the most well-known Mornington Peninsula Beaches for photo opportunities (such as London Bridge) when the tide is out, this beach is terrific for surfers and also has consistent waves that work year-round. The Unique Travel Problems That Come With Being Tall, Rice Terraces, Nasi Goreng, and Cliffside Pool Hangs: What Its Like Travelling To Bali Right Now, How To Travel Like Youre A Member Of Successions Roy Family, 9 Unforgettable Experiences You Can Have In Kyushu, 8 Beautiful Things To Photograph In Kyushu, 6 Areas To Visit In Kyushu If You Only Have A Few Days, Light and Tight: A Guide To Travelling With Only Carry-On, What It Was Like Travelling On One Of The First New Zealand Travel Bubble Flights, The Best Day Trips You Can Take Out Of Sydney If You Need To Escape The CBD, 6 Day Trips Out Of Melbourne, If You Want A Getaway Without Using Your Annual Leave, Bali Pips Australia For The Most Beautiful Beach In The World Title, According To Instagram, Your Guide To Queenslands 11 Best Hikes, From Easy Strolls To Multi-Day Adventures, How To Find This Stunning Reflective Salt Lake In Regional Victoria, Stargazing And Grazing In The Huon Valley: A Perfect Weekend Getaway Near Hobart. Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more , 2023 TOM PUTT. South Curl Curl Rock Pool 15. Swimming at Cape Schanck Rock Pools Mornington Peninsula - YouTube 0:00 / 2:23 Swimming at Cape Schanck Rock Pools Mornington Peninsula ings alfrz 18 subscribers Subscribe 14K views 8 years. Look for offshore north-easterly wind with a swell from the southwest. Leos surf lifesaving club is well known across Victoria for anyone who is a bit scared or super new to surfing, and the store on the way in also has people who can provide surf lessons. Mornington Irrigation offers a complete range of irrigation products and services and has been working with Victorian home owners, tradespeople, businesses, councils and schools for over 25 years. We can create Custom Artwork to suit any wall space. Ive tried researching it, but can barely find any information regarding safety. Cape Schanck Beach is a well-known tourist location, famous amongst the Mornington Peninsula beaches. Oh, Ill have to google Les Ecrehous! I would love to visit Iceland. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Hey, I wasnt looking to step on something questionable, so far from the nearest hospital. Cairns Bay rock pool sounds like a hidden gem! In maps type in Tea Tree Creek & Cairns Bay Walk for car park location. I spend a lot of time at Phillip Island surfing and have a dream of converting a van into a sleeper for some serious down under trips. Ilove creating art. We acknowledge the Gadigal and Wurundjeri people as the Traditional Custodians of the unceded lands, oceans and skies on which we live and work. Please read my Disclosure Statement below for more information. As far as the rock jumping is corned, BE CAREFUL. Clayton Station, SA Cameras are to be positioned so that members of the public are not visible. The rock pools would soon disappear under the rough waves of the rising tide; time to start thinking about packing up and heading home. At the bottom of the staircase head around to your left. We had a terrific time jumping from 3 levels into a beautiful deep sea pool. Please adjust your search criteria and try again. (Image: Destination NSW) 8. I was able to swim comfortably in one of the more shallow pools, and could even wander into sections where I was submerged past waist-deep. Garden Answers is a vibrant and inspiring gardening magazine filled with ingenious design ideas and exciting plant combinations guaranteed to make your garden beautiful.WelcomeCelebrate GLOWING STEMS January is the best time to appreciate the shining bark of dogwood and willow stems. Despite the disappointment I felt at not being able to explore the area under the rock formation, and the resulting change of scenery, London Bridge is one of my favourite spots on Mornington Peninsula. Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. There wasnt much to see except a few small fish, but Alexis enjoyed it and got excited whenever a fish swam by. The local time in Bushrangers Bay is 11:24:55 PM. List of Public Swimming Pools in Melbourne and Victoria. We arrived pretty much right at low tide and it was absolutely perfect. I wouldnt mind being in a beautiful place like this close to nature and that amazing blue water. The whole peninsula is within 1.5 hours driving distance of Melbourne and is full of wonderful beaches and rocky coastal features - not to mention the wineries if you fancy some pre-sunset shoot drinks! 2017 Humble Trail. For that reason, it can be really difficult to park if you get there later than midday. Wow! I had jumped here a few times before but theres no denying the nerves that came creeping back. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". I'm sure if you watch the locals you will see where they enter and exit the pools. So Point Nepean National Park isnt a specific beach; it is actually an old military base at the very tip of the Mornington peninsula with tons of walking trails. Hopefully going to Melbourne in July so will be adding this to my day trip list! Be warned though, as Shoreham and Flinders are start of the Western Port Bay, shark sightings arent rare in the area Oh and look out if you dont like seaweed, Shoreham has a fair bit. The Ultimate Guide for Kids Parties in Melbourne. $$$$ Contemporary Australian Vegetarian Friendly, $$ - $$$ Steakhouse Seafood European, $$ - $$$ Seafood International Contemporary, $$ - $$$ Cafe Australian Vegetarian Friendly, Piers & Boardwalks Observation Decks & Towers. There are no shortage of activities for all of the family and your dog to enjoy. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. When Ian had enough of skimboarding (with only minor injuries), we grabbed our masks and snorkels, stuffed Alexis into her wetsuit, and headed over to the large rock pool. So when we were all locked down in Melbourne last year, and my potential Insta fodder was limited to anything within a days drive from the city, I got to researching. Best Mornington Peninsula Tour, Includes SUP, Hike & Wine Simply the best day discovering the Mornington Peninsula: watersports, wineries, hikes and hot springs Fully guided small group tour (max 8 guests) Stand Up Paddle lesson and tour Wine tasting a beautiful winery Bathing at the Peninsula Hot Springs Guided Coastal Hike 9 hours The Rock Pools at Bridgewater Way are some of the best on the Mornington peninsula situated on the back beach in Blairgowrie there is plenty to explore. A post shared by Bianca ONeill (@bianca.oneill). I would love love love to swim in this hole its absolutely my kind of relaxation and reminds me of similar ones in iceland, Oh really, how awesome. These rock pools, or tidal pools, are miniature habitats, home to a huge range of animals and plants. Copyright 2023 MelbournePlaygrounds.com.au, Rickett's Point Beaumaris (west of Beaumaris Life Saving Club, carpark entrance near 411 Beach Road, Beaumaris), Sorrento Ocean Beach is a popular spot for rockpools and some of the pools are even big enough for a dip (250 Ocean Beach Road, Sorrento), St Paul's Beach, Sorrento (102 St Pauls Road, Sorrento), Flinders Ocean Beach and Mushroom Reef Marine Sanctuary (Flinders Ocean Beach Entry Road, Flinders. Look for the Bushrangers Bay Walking Track sign, and follow thefour-kilometre track over the hill and down to the bay. You will need to visit the beaches at low tide for the rockpools to be exposed. Or, check out more Mornington Peninsula activities, some more day trips from Melbourne or Melbourne Weekend Getaways. As others have said there are jelly fish in all Australian waters but different species. HIGH. Stepping off and feeling the moment of weightlessness just before taking the full force of the water on the soles of my feet A few strokes to emerge at the surface and I just couldnt wipe the smile off my face.. Most people will wear flip flops (we call them thongs) or sandals if scouring rocks if for no other reason then to stop cuts on sharp edges and help grip slippery surfaces. One very large rock pool in particular makes a sheltered pool, free from the waves and is perfect for swimming. It takes about 30 mins, and its not too hard-going but I would recommend wearing good footwear for the short hike. Whenever people talk about the Mornington Peninsula, there is always a certain joy emanating as they tell me where they had been, what they saw and discovered. I was thinking of having the family splashing around and playing in the rock pools. Where are the most photographable locations in Victoria? Sand sometimes washes in and it may not be as deep as you think. My favourite location to visit on the Mornington Peninsula is a sea stack called Pulpit Rock, located at the tip of Cape Schanck. There is also a beach nearby with the best rock pools of the Mornington Peninsula Beaches, but youll need to reach out as we cant give away this local secret spot. There really is something for everyone around the beaches of the Mornington Peninsula, but not all beaches will be for everyone. Mornington Peninsula Sorrento Ocean Beach is a popular spot for rockpools and some of the pools are even big enough for a dip (250 Ocean Beach Road, Sorrento) St Paul's Beach, Sorrento (102 St Pauls Road, Sorrento) Portsea Ocean Beach and London Bridge (London Bridge Road, Portsea) $8 per adult; $25 per family. Continue on this trail for 300 metres all the way to the beach and take the stairs down onto Bridgewater Bay. These rock pools are just that - pools not puddles! Bianca is a journalist who spends all her money on. . Just Holiday Parks on Mornington Peninsula foreshoreDogs? Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. Just click here to compare flights and get the best prices with Skyscanner. After traveling to over 40 countries, she has a passion for discovering new places. English: Rock pools and reflections at Sorrento Back Beach in Mornington Peninsula National Park, Victoria, Australia. The beach is also great for families and for those who enjoy a boogie board or just a lazy board surf. But I digress. We plonked down our bags and beach toys, claiming a patch of sand that was still shaded by the rocky cliff. Close proximity to Town Centre obtainDirections here, Car Parking available at the South West end of St Johns Woods Road. My mission is to inspire people to spend more time outdoors. Victoria, and Port Phillip Bay in general, are famous for wonderful colorful beach boxes and you wont find more than on the Mornington Peninsula Beaches. Bilgola Rock Baths 2. Travel & Information website for the fabulous Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia - loads of information, plenty of articles, travel information, sightseeing, historical facts, things to do for free. The Coastal Walk encompasses many smaller sections of Ocean Beach walking trails, some along gravel tracks and parts along the sandy beaches. Follow the cove around to the left for another 200m to find the jumping rock. I will check out the Cairns Rock pool the next time I visit Melbourne. There is a state of the art gym and a range of group exercise facilities. Our chocolate parties are so much fun! From the top, youre looking at a seven metre freefall this rock jump isnt for the faint hearted. Head to the second one, and youll find surfers sitting out at the many breaks along the beach. A&S is designed to inspire young-at-heart travelers to plan AND make the most of a dream trip. Since we were not really in any hurry, we went back down to investigate. She enthusiastically put her mask and snorkel back on and had a ball chasing them around. If youre keen on visiting this isolated bay, and its beautiful (but potentially dangerous) rock pools, make sure you have all the right gear, and never go alone. I have a passion for travel and being outside. This one has dozens of colorful beach boxes that are just waiting for a photo op. There are good waves for surfing on some of the local beaches such as . Check the depth from the shore before jumping. Get notified about exclusive offers every week! This vacuum head works with a garden hose connection to create a venturi suction that picks up your leaves and large debris and collects them in a large filter bag. FIND MORE THINGS TO DO ON THE MORNINGTON PENINSULA, 14 of the Best Things to do in Bermagui on the Sapphire Coast, NSW, The Pillars at Mount Martha, How to Safely Explore This Pocket of Paradise, Swimming in Cairns Bay Rock Pool, Melbourne, Other Things to do at Cairns Bay Rock Pool and Beach. They just sting a bit and rubbing with wet sand takes most of the sting away. Cape Schanck, London Bridge in Portsea and the Blairgowrie Jumping Rock were all on our hit list. Then once you reach the far left side of the beach you will start walking towards the ocean and see the beautiful Cairns bay rock pool. So for that reason, Sorrento is honestly one of the busiest beaches in Victoria in the summer (although not quite as busy as St Kilda). This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The viewing platform takes you right to the bottom,where you can watch the waves pounding the rocks. So without a doubt, the best site for comparing and booking flights is Skyscanner. When the weather warms up it's nice to be able to cool off in a free water play park. Rock pool. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. The Best Rockpools in Melbourne and Victoria, Hey Sweetie Chocolate Party Venue (Brighton East). If youre finding this free guide helpful, please consider supporting my work! We arrived around 10 am to catch the last of the kangaroos feeding, and spotted some shy wallabies bounding across the rocky hills. See our best picks for surf beaches of the area sorted by difficulty we know a few secret ones also, but as always, you need to look after the locals so comment below if you need more than this! In servicing the Mornington Peninsula and the Southern suburbs of Melbourne High quality . Don't be alarmed by how close it is to shore, the rock pool is at least three metres deep no matter the tide. Private tour for 2-6. Easy 500 metre walk over sharp rocks (bring shoes). Required fields are marked *. Sorry, no records were found. Job in the beautiful mornington peninsula, 4 days a week and great vehicle diversity. It's who I am. This coastal clifftop walk has excellent views over the sea and rocky bays as well as the spectacular Cape Schanck and its lighthouse. Also, with all the holidaymakers of Melbournes most affluent suburbs such as Toorak and Prahran flocking down to Sorrento or Portsea for the holidays, the area can tend to be a little more upper class and dare I say snooty in the summer. The landform was sculpted by wind and water and previously, at low tide, you could walk under it and admire nature's amazing work. It has a large lifesaving club that sells ice creams and drinks in the summer get a frosty fruit if you havent had one before. Seriously, there is some easy, and a few bits of not so easy, if cautious fun to . Are he blue bottles easy to see at close distances? Best to wear water shoes or flip flops to walk out there, and watch the timing of the tides. Thistle growing along the side of the walking track. Search 5 Prior's Frome, Herefordshire, UK pool & spa professionals to find the best pool & spa contractor professional for your project.