Dive into Native Alaska culture at a tribal dance show or pay a visit to Hoonah, Alaskas largest Tlingit village. However each port offers adventures that are not typically found in the Caribbean. How is the Halibut shipped home for oyu. Icy Strait Point is one tiny port that's big on Alaskan wilderness and Native culture. Clear editor. Retired after 10 years as a college professor to focus full-time on her primary research interest: travel. We choose to make the short trip over to the actual town of Hoonah and truly enjoyed watching and speaking with two local men who were carving a totem pole. I hope you properly set expectations very low or else you may very well be disappointed. July 10, 2007. Typically, I recommend halibut fishing charters in Seward, but if your itinerary doesnt allow that, heres an alternative. When you arrive at the port, just check in with a Hoonah Travel Adventures representative at the Icy Strait Point Excursion Hub. You can post now and register later. Our team personally tests every tour in a destination to select only the best shore excursions for your Quantum of the Seas cruise . Owned by Huna Totem Corporation, Icy Strait Point is located 35 miles west of Juneau in Hoonah, Alaska on the Chichagof Island. View All Cruises, We're having trouble retrieving these cruises. Norwegian Communications Center. Who Offers This Icy Strait Point Cruise Excursion? FAQ What are the best tours in Icy Strait Point? View All Cruises, We're having trouble retrieving these cruises. Our dedicated staff (85% of which call Hoonah home) is committed to providing a one-of-a-kind experience for every guest that is infused with our local Native culture and hospitality. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51846. I mean, you can zip-line in many ports around the world, so is it any surprise that theres an epic zip-lining experience in Alaska? Discover the frontier town of Icy Strait surrounded by nature in its unspoiled glory. My husband and I are booked for a cruise to Alaska with Royal Caribbean August 4th through the 12th. Your email address will not be published. Given name Sarah, but also answers to Prof. Cruise. In 1912, the Hoonah Packing Company built the first cannery in the area, and it has become quite a tourist attraction since then. One of the most exciting prospects when booking an Alaska cruise is choosing your Alaska cruise excursions in each port. You'll enjoy a 2.5-hour cruise through the waters of Icy Strait, where you are guaranteed to spot at least one whale. Alaska is full of epic hikes, and you might want to experience some of that for yourself on your Alaska cruise. 6: It's an adventure seeker's paradise. First and foremost, Icy Strait Point is truly surrounded by unspoiled Alaska wilderness. Has anyone booked the whale watching excursion in Icy Strait Point through the ship (Radiance of the Sea)? Chichagof Island's Spasski River Valley is equally renowned for having one of the highest densities of coastal brown bears anywhere. These cruises are selling out fast, get them while you can. Your email address will not be published. Icy Strait Point is located in the town of Hoonah on Chichagof Island. Hopefullythis level of detail helps others make suggestions. Who Offers This Icy Strait Point Cruise Excursion? We also have 3 waterfront restaurants with breathtaking views offering some of the freshest seafood you will ever eat. In this post, I promote travel to a national park that is the Lingt Aan (traditional lands) of the Huna (Hoonah) Tlingit people. That said, its not exactly unique to encounter these kinds of excursions, so it doesnt rank particularly high on my personal list of the best Icy Strait Point cruise excursions. View All Results. You won't find a better place to experience an outdoor adventure and get a sense of what a . On our cruise day, May 31, they have a 6 passenger boat at 8:00a followed by a 13 passenger boat at 8:45a. Youll be provided with binoculars and other gear you might need. Icy Strait Point Premier Whale Watching Tour, 212 Admiral Way Ste. And don't forget the fishing. It is totally safe! Icy Strait Point is home to a restored 1912 Alaska salmon cannery and museum. In addition to your wildlife search, depart directly from Icy Strait Point on your safe, stable, covered, and comfortable whale-watching vessel and travel through the bountiful waters of Icy Strait to the renowned Point Adolphus area, home to Alaska's largest summer population of humpback whales. Itll be hard to keep your eyes on the trail with all the epic scenery around you! We are located 7 miles from downtown Juneau independent travelers either come by taxi Uber or the city bus. Here's our itinerary: 11 NIGHT ALASKA GLACIERS CRUISE Vancouver , British Columbia | Sail Away 5 PM Sea Day Sea Day Icy Strait Point , Alaska Arrive 9 AM | Depart 8 PM Sitka , Alaska Arrive 7 AM | Depart 6 PM Cruising Hubbard Glacier , Alaska Juneau , Alaska Arrive 7 AM | Depart 9 PM Skagway , Alaska Arrive 7 AM | Depart 8:30 PM Who Offers This Shore Excursion in Icy Strait Point? {{card.shipName}} of the Seas, We've circled the globe and couldn't find any sailings that match your search. You have up until 7 days prior to your tour date to cancel for any reason. The biggest halibut on record was caught inside Icy Strait! Valerie! A convenient meeting time and place. Check out our list of the the best things to do in Icy Strait Point for more ideas! Another popular shore excursion in Icy Strait Point is to search for brown bears on Spasski River. Thank you for sharing this. For the best wildlife viewing, check out our small group Icy Strait Point shore excursions. Availability: This tour is only available August-September. We chose to book Whales, Wildlife, and Brown Bear Search when it was on sale last weekend! We did an independent whale watching tour in ISP and it was amazing. When comparing all of the Alaska cruise excursions in Icy Strait Point, theres one that stands out as truly special: the Hoonah Sightseeing and Tribal Dance offering that almost every cruise company provides. The longest ZipRider in the United States, treetop obstacle courses, kayaking, and ATV tours are among some of the activities to help you feel truly alive while you cause heart palpitations in your . Surrounded by towering rainforest and set against the backdrop of mist-shrouded mountains, guests can truly immerse themselves in our wilderness environment. We promise to have you back to your ship on time. Be sure not to miss ShoreTrips' whale watching shore excursions, many of which include bear searching! Have you seen my other Alaska cruise resources? Your excursion begins with a scenic drive along Gastineau Channel, and into the Ship Creek Valley. Icy Strait Point is the only private cruise ship destination in Alaska; we offer over 20 different shore excursions including ATVs, biking, kayaking, nature tours, the best whale watching in Alaska and the world's largest and highest zipline ride. Date of experience: September 2017. If you love the idea of stretching your legs a bit more than you can on the boat, this is a great excursion it only ranks low on the list because of few companies (okay, one) offering it in 2023. Who Offers This Icy Strait Point Shore Excursion? We just rode the Dragon's Breath zipline in November so we aren't leaning towards the zipline. Home port: Seattle. This 2.5-hour outdoor adventure is listed as moderate in terms of activity level. Excursions by boat or vehicle to the Spasski River provide opportunities to spot bald eagles, woodpeckers . (Look for them holding a Hoonah Travel Adventures sign.) Cunard rolled out the winter 2025 cruise schedules for its three ships, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Victoria and Queen Mary 2, plus the new-build Queen Anne, set to debut . Voyage through the untamed beauty from the comfort of our world-class ships, exclusive rail service and Princess Wilderness Lodges near national parks. Visiting from {country-flag} {country-name}? What do you think? We are a quick 20 minute flight from Juneau, Alaska. I recommend getting in touch with your cruise company to see how they can help. On this cruise excursion, a local guide will take you out to spot dozens of species of perching birds, seabirds, ducks, gulls, and bald eagles. If you have questions or comments, let me know below or join me in my Alaska Travel Tips Facebook Community! Departs From Expect guaranteed whale sightings in these nutrient-rich waters during the summer. Its always an honor to share the backyard beauty in our mist-shrouded rainforest and our coastal city, steeped in history and Native Southeast Alaska culture alike. By 1. Best Icy Strait Point Tours & Excursions: 1. Celebrity, Disney, Holland America, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean, and Seabourn. My wife and I used them and when we go back we'll use them again.. Located in southeast Alaska and along the coast, Icy Strait Point gives you a peek inside the beautiful and diverse Alaskan wildlife. Beautiful overview with a 1- mile hiking trail loop at the top that required groups of at least 10 and a guide with a gun die to bear activity. Disney, Holland America, Oceania, Princess, Regent, Royal Caribbean, and Seabourn. Opened a decade ago by the Huna Tlingit Native Alaskans, its easily one of the best spots in the region for fishing and whale watching. The bottom part of the profile is nearly flat. All rights reserved. For each excursion, I list which cruise companies offer that one so you can see whether your cruise is on the list. (That means each excursion gets its own number, no ties), I gave each excursion a boost or deduction for being a good value based on the. Town is very small with nothing more than a few shore excursions to choose from. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9160-not-so-live-blog-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-southbound-83118/&do=findComment&comment=8383. This is the most popular year in Alaska ever, so it doesnt surprise me that things are sold out. 2. Brave the ZipRider, the worlds longest zip line, and enjoy amazing views of the forest as you race from a mountain peak at 60 miles per hour. They've been living under the radar to protect Maisie, but she feels like a prisoner. Opened a decade ago by the Huna Tlingit Native Alaskans, it's easily one of the best spots in the region for fishing and whale watching. I have heard that whale watching excursions book on the ship are on very big boats that hold a lot of people. We know where all the wilderness hotspots are. Since I already pointed out that Icy Strait Point is a unique cultural destination, what better way to experience it than on a cooking class excursion? Included with the all-day gondola pass is a visit to a traditional ceremonial hall to see a Tribal Dance, hosted by the family of Johan Hinchman. Youll find plenty of authentic Alaska gifts just a quick stroll from the dock at the historic Cannery Shops. We visited a couple of local shops and really liked the simplicity of Hoonah. View All Alaska Cruise Lines; . Icy Strait Point 108 Cannery Rd, Hoonah, AK 99829, USA Open in Google Maps Confirmation will be received at time of booking Tour Time is Departure time. Im also a not-so-secret space nerd and speak fluent emoji! At the end of the day, you can take in forest views while soaring high above the trees on the longest zip line in the world. If you have already received tickets, please call the local tour operator phone number listed on your tickets for tour-specific questions as they will be the best resource to answer unique questions. However, for those of you who are thinking about taking a vacation, The Icy Strait Point is the divider between mainland Alaska in the north and the Chichagof Island in the south. Icy Strait Point is one tiny port thats big on Alaskan wilderness and Native culture. Breathe in the 1,000-acre greenspace of Stanley Park, one of the largest urban parks in North America. After a short bus ride to the Spasski River Valley, you'll take a guided tour along a boardwalk and gravel path into a habitat that Alaskan brown bears are known to frequent. Pasted as rich text. Icy Strait Point is Alaska Native owned-and-operated, with all profits directly supporting the community of Hoonah, Alaskas largest Native Tlingit village. Just off the dock where our Princess ship landed, is the ski lift- type red gondola to the zipline, the free green gondola to the bar of the zipline and cannery. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. With over 30 exciting tours, a restored 1912 salmon cannery and museum, nature trails, and even a beach! The view is pretty nice but not warrant the ticket price. Can you help. (Photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean) A cruise can also make an Alaska trip more affordable. Among the huge number of excursions you can book in Juneau - and even on this list of nine - it's hard to choose the best one. This is your chance to see brown bears, Sitka black tail deer and other wildlife up close in the natural scenic beauty of the last frontier. But I feel confident that this list is both impartial but also informed by my expert advice. We can guarantee you will be back to board your ship in plenty of time. This is truly an experience for the books, and cameras. Yes is does have substantial tourist oriented shopping, and the main attraction the Ziprider. Five stars arent enough to describe this wonderful production filled with colorful regalia, genuine ritual, deep spirituality, and a sense of humor and play (Raven was a trickster, after all). We booked "Glacier Winds" for the Whale watching on a small (6 person) boat in Icy Point for our 2020 trip. Most stuff is sold out on our cruise and some of the adventures you talked about are not even listed. This is your chance to set sail and travel the scenic shorelines of Icy Strait Point keeping watch for bears, deer, blue herons, puffins and more. We are committed to providing guests with the best customer service in the industry! We did the Spasski River Wildlife and Bear tour. Good Value. I also keep in mind some of the othertips on choosing Alaska cruise excursions Ive previously shared. As one of the best places in the world to see whales, and a darn good spot to view bears, Icy Strait/Hoonah is among Alaska's most beloved destinations for wildlife enthusiasts. Just let us know and we will make sure everyone is together. I'm stuck right now on the Whale and Marine Mammal Cruise for $189 and the Whales, Wildlife and Brown Bear Search for $255. We'll supply everything you need, so there's nothing for you to worry about except for having fun and taking in nature at its best. Longest Zip Line, Icy Strait Point, Alaska. Welcome to Hoonah, AK. My eBook, Alaskas Best Cruise Excursions, will help you wade through all the excursions in each port to make the best choice for each stop on your Alaska cruise itinerary. The full cancellation policy can be found here. . Purchase your fishing license, put your line in, and hope for good fishermens luck! Unfortunately, only one cruise company offers it which handicapped it in the rankings for 2023. We were left doubting her sincerity and actually had the best interaction with the armed woman, accompanying us for protection, who lives in Hoonah. Sightings happen often, but as all things in Nature are not guaranteed. Magnificent! One of our favorite FAQs: The cruise industry wants ALL of your money so they try and scare you with that line. This cruise ship stop is not like all the others with hoards of jewelry stores. The gondola and zip line are just outside this building. Yes! We are constantly evaluating ourselves, innovating, and improving to ensure that every customer gets an amazing experience from the first contact to the last touch. Image Courtesy: Cunard Line. Icy Strait Shore Excursion: Whale Watching Adventure Tour, Local Alaska Whale Watching with Bonus Drone Footage of Whales, Juneau Wildlife Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching Charters through Icy Strat Alaska. These gentle giants of the sea spend their summers right here in the nutrient-rich waters of Glacier Bay and Icy Strait. Advancing glaciers forced them to relocate to modern-day Hoonah in 1754. Want to know more? Lover of books and dessert. CHECK SHORE EXCURSIONS IN Icy Strait Point, Alaska, *Please see all applicable Terms & Conditions for Promotions, Alaska Icy Strait Point Tribe Local Performance, Cuisine Dungeness Crab, Icy Strait Point, Alaska, One of the Many Historic Cannery Buildings, Icy Strait Point, Alaska, View All{{ cards[0] && cards[0]['totalGroups'] ? " If you are longing to see bears while you are here, then we've got you covered. Our Local Guides Provide an Intimate and Authentic Experience. The Cruise ship is telling us if we dont book with them we might get left behind. After you successfully conquer that, youll hook into the first of six zip lines. Please send an email to [emailprotected] letting us know which tours you would like to cancel as we must have all cancelation requests in writing. Also what is the machine behind the Icy Strait point sign? While this cruise excursion isnt totally unique you can see bears elsewhere in Alaska its a good chance to guarantee that experience at a good value. No snow but you get to watch and touch them. Favorites. At first I was tempted to just walk the nature trail in port, visit the cannery museum, get souvenirs and walk into Hoonah. Hire a local guide to take you whale watching, fishing, or kayaking. I'm a newbie to Cruise Critic. Youve finally decided: 2023 is the year to take the Alaska cruise youve been dreaming of whether its been a few years or a lifetime of waiting. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Is there a whale and bear watching tour combo? Our Icy Strait shore tours give you the chance to get up close and personal with incredible wildlife. On this 2- to 3-hour excursion, youll board a helicopter, cruise up to the top of the mountain, unload your bikes, and ride back down. Royal Caribbean International ; RCL excursions in Icy Strait Point Alaska RCL excursions in Icy Strait Point Alaska. Icy Strait Point, Alaska While Celebrity Cruises doesn't sail directly to Glacier Bay, there are flightseeing excursions available from Icy Strait Point . Wow, we will be cruising with a celebrity. The majority of us, when we think of Alaska, probably picture a big area covered in ice, frozen land, and maybe even caribou running free across the tundra. With that in mind, prepare for the worst and hope for the best! Disney, Holland America, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess, Regent, and Royal Caribbean. What really makes this tour unique is the Drone imagery. All words and images 2013-2023 The Kolibro Group LLC. If you have questions about tours prior to booking, please email [emailprotected]. Hike red cedar forest trails, relax beachside, take a horse-drawn carriage ride, or view the Brockton Point totem poles. Wind along back roads in search of wildlife, including bald eagles, brown bears, and Sitka black-tailed deer, and enjoy spectacular views of the natural beauty that surrounds you along the way. Will I make the __:__ tour? While in Icy Strait, we also give you the chance to enjoy some incredible and famous Icy Strait seafood. On this 3.5-hour charter, youll board a locally-operated boat and head out onto the waters of Icy Strait. Fancies herself a bit of a . My husband and I were excited to take the sky glider up to the top so we could do the Alice Lake trail 1.5 mile hike to hidden lake. Upon disembarking the Gondola, look for, and follow the signs to the Excursions Hub where you meet your Hoonah Travel Adventures Representative. Multiple families may join the same tour as long as adequate space is available and the maximum is not exceeded. We care about our beautiful state and want to show it off in a genuine way while protecting and preserving the land and sea at the same time. There may be 3rd party options you can explore directly. Professionally guided stream fishing excursions on the hidden edge waters of Chichagof, Island. Choose from a variety of Alaska cruise and cruisetour itineraries and connect . We offer the lowest rates in Hoonah! But, Ive weighed the options and consider these nine to be the best Icy Strait Point and Hoonah cruise excursions. Currently booked for shore excursions, I have Yukon Adventure & White Pass . Our Icy Strait Point shore excursions are run by local guides who are eager to show you the real Alaskan Wilderness. The boat was much smaller than the typical whale watching boats (6 people!) Find 9 other excursion options on my guide to the best Skagway cruise excursions. You will have to walk up and/or down a potentially steep ramp depending on the tide to access the floats where the boat will be. Despite it being last on the list, I personally love this excursion as it offers the opportunity to both get up in the air and burn off some of those ship calories youve been consuming (yes, they count!). In Juneau I know of asled dog excursionincluded as part of a helicopter to a glacier type activity which makes it expensive but very good. About Prof. Cruise. Go to site . Every summer, humpback whales come to Hoonah in huge numbers to feed on the nutrient-rich waters before migrating south again in the winter. We aren't super adrenaline junkies but can handle some adventure. Children as young as 6 years old can ride the zipline, and guests must be between the weight of 75 pounds and 275 pounds to enjoy this adventure. The best tours in Icy Strait Point are: There is a high demand for the CareCart which often presents you with a delay to meeting at the prescribed time. Many outdoor enthusiasts come to Alaska for fishing, and Hoonah won't disappoint. They had a blast doing things there. . See the amazing humpback whales that call the waters of Icy Strait Point their home. $605. Whale watching and wildlife tours are among the most popular excursions in Icy Strait Point. Watch members of the Huna Tlingit Dancers troupe tell the story of their tribal heritage through song and dance at the Native Heritage Center Theater. - Ovation only at Icy Straight Point and Sitka, - Juneau has 5 ships, port load - 11970 guests, - Skagway has 3 ships, port load - 6830 guests. Celebrity, Disney, Norwegian, Oceania, Regent, and Royal Caribbean. We disembarked from Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas a little after 1:00 pm on a go. What to expect when you get there - Amy will meet up with you at your pre-arranged meeting point (we were off a cruise ship, so Icy Straight Point excursion hub for us). AK 99829, Guaranteed Whale Watching Tours in Icy Straits, The Best Time To Visit Alaska - Various Seasons Of The North, 7 Things You Shouldnt Miss During Your Icy Strait Point Tours, Why the Icy Strait Point Gondola is a Must-Ride for Tourists. Can multiple families book a tour and be together? . We rarely cancel on our guests as the weather is typically pretty stable. Free shore excursions will allow you to explore the majestic natural wonders of The Icy Straight on an all-inclusive luxury cruise to Alaska. Learn about the area's other wildlife from your informative guide and about the native Tlingit population. Nestled among those trinket shops you will find authentic local art, jewelry, and even hand-carved headdresses such as the one Johan is wearing here. We have guests that book up to a year in advance as our tours typically sell out well before their departure date. Add in the communication he has with other captains on the other boats, and it's a perfect whale finding system! Icy Strait Point website. This is a 90-minute excursion that includes an obstacle course dubbed the Adventure Park, made up of a log bridge, climbing planks, fishermens net, and more. This Alaskan cruise port town has so much to offer. Seeing whales on your tour is guaranteed. On arrival at the Hoonah Harbor, it's All aboard! and youre off for the waters of Icy Straits and the ultimate whale watching experience. Read more in my Privacy Policy. Who Offers This Shore Excursion in Icy Strait Point? Generally speaking, Carnival will be the least expensive and Disney will be the most expensive, with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian at the lower end and Princess, Holland America, Celebrity, and Cunard at the upper end. Most meals spotlight local fish or caribou, and Dungeness crab when its in season. Youll find plenty of authentic Alaska gifts just a quick stroll from the dock at the historic Cannery Shops. Opened a decade ago by the Huna Tlingit Native Alaskans, its easily one of the best spots in the region for fishing and whale watching. Get ready for a stream fishing adventure in pristine wilderness that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Enjoy a hot beverage before returning to your ship or exploring the cannery and nature trail at Icy Strait Point. I wasn't in charge of the booking, so I can't recommend a specific company to use but a quick search on TripAdvisor will give you lots of options. Whether you are looking for a scenic kayaking, adventurous or eating and drinking shore excursion, there's no better site to book your shore tour with than Shore Excursions Group. I loved this port for that very reason. 1-888-751-7804 . Since the arrival of cruise ship travelers, the Huna Totem Corporation has restored a former salmon cannery to support tourism in the area. Theres no guarantee, of course, but thats part of what makes the excursion an adventure! Posted November 23, 2021. #1. Sitting 1330' above Icy Strait Point, you will descend just over a mile and travel at speeds in excess of 60 mph while soaring 300' above the tree-tops below. Ocean Stateroom. Another view of tower 5. Lower lift line. The Chichagof Island wilderness hike excursion is a good opportunity. IMO your best bet is to hike the short nature trails and take the cable car up the mountain for more hiking and scenic views. For a real Alaska specialty, head to the Cookhouse Restaurant and try the reindeer chili or the Alaska Blue Burger, made with reindeer meat, blue cheese and merlot steak sauce. Another major cost factor is the type of stateroom you prefer. I try to include a food tour in every one of the posts in this series; I believe food is one of the best ways to experience the culture of a place including Alaska. We are on the same sailing and I checked the port loads for each stop. If our guests missed their ships we would not be in business. If you are interested in a less tourist like experience, you might like this. Icy Strait Point was a nice place to spend a few hours. As I mentioned, Skagway is a destination for history lovers - so it's no surprise that a history tour tops the list. Visit the Tlingit carvers and walk about to appreciate the totem poles in town. The bicycle is designed specifically for rugged terrain, so you can maximize the experience with the least amount of effort. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/07/17/excursion-focus-alaska-sled-dogs-mushers-camp-juneau-alaska. Our tours have been providing exceptional customer service for over a decade now. The home of Icy Strait Point Excursions. Icy Strait Point is one tiny port thats big on Alaskan wilderness and Native culture. Dive into Native Alaska culture at a tribal dance show or pay a visit to Hoonah, Alaska's largest Tlingit village. Icy Strait Point is a cruise destination located in the small Alaskan village of Hoonah. Then walk along the Seawall, with the downtown skyline as your backdrop. We currently offer excursions for saltwater fishing, whale watching and marine nature tours in the waters of Icy Strait, long renowned for it's abundance of marine wildlife and excellent . Chichagoff Island is home to more brown bears than humans, its a place where eagles soar overhead and whales are regularly seen just offshore. Who Offers This Shore Excursion in Icy Strait Point? Now lets dive into each one! Established in the early 1960s, Tok River Outfitters, now a second generation Alaskan business, is still owned and operated by the original founder's family. If you do have the fortune to hook a halibut, the boat company will ship it home to you. Secure easy and reliable transportation to the Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau with the Blue Bus Glacier Express. Im grateful Johan allowed me to paint him in his regalia as the dance was incredibly inspiring and definitely worth the short walk through the shops. Stay as long as you choose to explore trails, check out wildlife, and go inside the visitor center, and then climb aboard a return bus .