A 2-3" layer of shredded bark mulch over the roots is recommended to conserve moisture levels in the soil and keep the roots insulated against both hot and cold.Mountain hydrangeas tolerate acidic to slightly alkaline soils, and their flower color is impacted by soil chemistry as well. Pair with any blue-leafed hosta or the brunnera Sea Heart or Silver Heart for excellent companions. Keep the soil continuously moist for the first year to help the roots take hold, and then soak it once a week during hot, dry spells. soil moist. I loved them so much I ordered some other hydrangeas as well. This is a real beauty, with flowers so delicate and refined that it seems strange to call them tough - but they are. This year the *** deer found it and have munched on it quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing how it makes it through our harsh winters. Its scientific name is Hydrangea serrata, and while its flattened heads resemble those of lacecap hydrangeas, its flowers and leaves are much smaller. Nothing to prune, except the dead blossom stem in the spring. They advised including additional protection or repellant, particularly in the winter. {{ product.price | money | replace: ' ', '' }}, Check out the Help Center or emailinfo@greatgardenplants.com. {%- if image.width > 1296 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '1296x' }} 1296w {{ 1296 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} {%- capture responsive_image_counter -%}{% increment responsive_image_counter %}{%- endcapture -%} Don't let that fool you though. I love this small shrub and the extra water and plant food rewards you with tons of delicate lacey flowers to enjoy. By the end of August, prune as necessary in the manner described above. Plant size: 1-2 feet; Plant zones: 5-9 Allow up to 2 weeks for processing. These arrived during a heatwave and I was worried, but they were fine. This bush blooms on old and new wood, and continues to produce flowers all through the growing season. or option.name contains 'Depth' Serrata, sometimes known as mountain hydrangeas. Find out where you fall in the USDA Hardiness Zones database. This technique also works well for bigleaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea macrophylla) and oakleaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea quercifolia).For more information on pruning download our Pruning Demystified guide https://www.provenwinners.com/learn/garden-maintenance/pruning-demystifiedSo pretty, it's hard to believe it's so tough!But indeed, Tuff Stuff mountain hydrangea lives up to its name. I bought this at my local greenhouse last year, planted it in a sunny area and had blooms all summer that were beautiful, always changing and morphing in color as they remained blooming. 69.163.239.61 {% assign optionVariant = false %} Spend $100.00 more and get free shipping! After transplanting, prune the top growth to minimize water loss. {% endif %} {%- if image.width > 2160 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '2160x' }} 2160w {{ 2160 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} We may ask for pictures but will try to make it as easy as possible for you. Whether or whether you should be concerned about deer eating your plants will depend on a number of environmental factors. {% if v.available %}{% assign available = true %}{% endif %} Posted by Janice Thompson on Sep 07, 2021. We have discovered that it is an exceedingly versatile option because of its modest size. {%- if image.width > 2808 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '2808x' }} 2808w {{ 2808 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} * Where to use: The ideal location is next to an east-facing homes foundation or in a spot that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. Mountain hydrangeas are similarly trouble-free as bigleaf types, but as a close relative, may be susceptible to the same problems: Powdery mildew can be managed by providing good air circulation (move any plants that are crowding it), avoiding pelting the leaves with water when you irrigate, and cleaning up any fallen foliage in autumn, as the mildew spores will overwinter on it and re-infect the plant the following spring if conditions are right. Plant spacing is based on the ultimate width of the plants. The color may range from a soft blue to pale pink depending on your soil ph. {% endfor %} Regular deadheading will stimulate a second set of blooms in the fall. Sun in the morning, or filtered light all day, is ideal. Aluminum, a naturally occurring soil mineral, is plentiful in acidic soils, where the hue tends to be more purple-blue. {% assign optionVariant = v %} For a list of organizations taking part in the Cooperative Extension program, see this page. It shares the showy blooms and beautiful pink or purple color of big-leaf hydrangeas, but because it grows wild on the chilly. We highly recommend spraying your plants with a deer repellant spray. {% else %} Our team of gardeners is standing by to help! Our Tiny Tuff Stuff Hydrangea can be planted in a container, only in zones 7-9 year-round. {% endif %} On aged wood, the majority of Hydrangea serrata types bloom. {% if product.type == 'Shrubs & Trees' %} {%- if image.width > 1296 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '1296x' }} 1296w {{ 1296 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} It's tough, but delicate - Tiny Tuff Stuffhydrangea is extremely cold tolerant and beautiful. {%- if image.width > 2592 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '2592x' }} 2592w {{ 2592 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} They will turn lavender-pink in more basic soils. We planted and followed directions but the plants have not done well at all. The Lacecap blossoms provide a full summer of color, arriving on old and new wood against a backdrop of rich green leaves. Use fertilizer with a controlled release that is designed for woody plants, such trees or roses. Fertilize in early spring using a controlled release fertilizer. I planted 3 in 2018 and bought 3 more this past summer! If you choose to grow these as a landscaping border, you can plant 14 to 18 inches apart, center on center. If there is extreme heat well delay shipping. The flowers are irresistible, their unusual lacecap form making them look delicate (ha!) USDA Zone 4 - 9 (-30F/-34.4C) Very hardy reblooming hydrangea! The smallest smooth hydrangea currently on the market! {%- if image.width > 2376 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '2376x' }} 2376w {{ 2376 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} This hydrangea is gorgeous, I get so many compliments on it! Plants are growing so should be established by Winter. Add aluminum sulfate to the soil to encourage blue flower color. The optimum amount of sun or shade each plant needs to thrive: Full Sun (6+ hours), Part Sun (4-6 hours), Full Shade (up to 4 hours). We encourage all plant lovers to purchase the Plant Addicts Warranty whether youre new or an expert. I planted three of these on the north side of a cedar fence where they get sun and shade in the location. Nothing at all the first year, though the plants were robust and full. {{ image.src | img_url: image_size }} {{ image.width }}w {{ image.height }}h Photos of the plant(s) will be required so that we may provide the best assistance possible. If the plant is dead, has dried out roots or the incorrect item was shipped just notify Plant Addicts within 3 days upon delivery. Truly one of my favorite plants. These plants are already small, and grow in a mounding habit naturally. Unfortunately, hydrangeas are not deer resistant. {%- if image.width > 1512 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '1512x' }} 1512w {{ 1512 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} Tuff Stuff hydrangeas offer colorful pink or blue flowers like bigleaf hydrangeas but perform better in cold climates. The flower coloration favors blue but can range from pastel shades of pink to blue to white depending on soil pH. Mountain hydrangeas share the color change abilities of bigleaf hydrangeas, and will be pink/red in neutral to alkaline soils, as well as in acidic soils with little to no aluminum. {%- if image.width > 180 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '180x' }} 180w {{ 180 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} These fungal leaf spots manifest as brownish-purple dots on the leaves, ranging from tiny to quite large. {% if product.handle contains "docapp-free-gift-" %}{% continue %}{% endif %} Every type of hydrangea comes with its own pruning requirements. {% if variant.available %}, {% assign count = 0 %} Though mountain hydrangeas suffer if grown in wet soils, they can also become drought stressed readily and should be watered regularly. This Mountain Hydrangea can tolerate very cold winter conditions in USDA zones 5 through 9. Failed to grow for me last year, which was okay & somewhat expected for a new plant. Beautiful Flower for Decoration, 1 Pc Hydrangea Live Rooted 3" Pot Tiny Tuff Stuff Mountain Hydrangea Live Roots, Outdoor/Indoor Flower - Get Free Sticker for Gift - JFS2210 | #YY108E. It can reach heights of 3 to 4 feet (90 to 120 cm). They flourish in hardiness zone 6, and their blossoms can be purple, blue, or pink. These folks know how to produce quality plants. Guide: How to Care for Your New Plant(s). If you live in a cold climate and/or want plants to fill in more quickly, plan to space at the shorter end of the range. Our expert staff is here to assist you with any problem you may be experiencing. {% for v in product.variants %} prompt delivery in well packaged container. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. We recommend choosing a container a few inches larger than the current plant size. Hydrangea macrophylla ssp. Once they are a little stronger I'll start selecting every other one to put in other long term places - I'll choose somewhere west that has great morning sun and protection in the afternoon heat since that seems to have worked for them. Thanks. Big leaf mophead hydrangeas are Hydrangea macrophylla. The blooms tip down in a distinctive arching fashion and the shrub's narrow leaves and an abundance of flowers cover the plant every summer. No more than 2 feet high and wide, Tiny Tuff Stuff is a quick grower, establishing itself readily in moist soils receiving full sun (in the far north only) to part shade. Although typically not necessary, an annual spring spreading of a balanced, organic granular fertilizer is beneficial. Cities are developing and there are more deer, which increases the pressure on deer to find food. Water:Average to high water needs. This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. Mulch helps to stabilize soil temperatures and preserve moisture. Click to email us at customerservice@hydrangea.com or visit the Contact page. We put together this helpful guide of, what to do when you receive your plants in the mail. I am planning to buy several more. Whether hydrangeas are resistant to deer is a subject we are frequently asked. Afternoon shade is best for this plant, especially in southern locations, like zones 8 and 9. Tiny Tuff Stuff is a very hardy hydrangea that produces blue flowers in acidic soil and pink in more alkaline soil. Never got to see a bloom. All houseplants ship on Mondays. While this plant leans to blue, the flower color may range from blue to pink to white. Mulch should be applied to assist maintain moisture and to shield the roots from the chilly winter temperatures. Remove any dead wood from all kinds in the early spring. I planted 3 of these in spring 2017. I'm very excited, on the edge of my seat awaiting the next stage as late June arrives. Just make sure it has plenty of water. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. {%- endcapture -%}. It is best to apply a layer of mulch around the plants. I am so glad I didn't. They have little, fruitful flower buds in the middle, and the showy flowers surround the flower heads margin. {% endif %} As mentioned, extremely bud-hardy, each year it produces abundant lacecap flowers comprised of doubled sepals. Thank you. Hopefully I'll be able to update later this year with a happy story. {% if v.available %}{% assign available = true %}{% endif %} {% endunless %} Bigleaf hydrangeas, also known as Hydrangea macrophylla, are the most popular variety of hydrangea. I planted three of these last year in a new garden. But indeed, Tuff Stuff mountain hydrangea lives up to its name. Also the plant flowers on new and old wood. It shares the showy blooms and beautiful pink or purple color of big-leaf hydrangeas, but because it grows wild on the chilly mountain tops instead of the mild seaside, it naturally developed substantially better cold tolerance. In contrast to its name, Tiny Tuff Stuff is covered in a plethora of delicate, lacecap blooms that add an exotic yet refined touch to your landscape. You do not need to prune Tiny Tuff Stuff hydrangeas. {%- if image.width > 3024 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '3024x' }} 3024w {{ 3024 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} I do not prune them, their shape is nice without pruning, and in spring they bloom on new and old wood. They are 3 to 5 feet tall and feature lovely light green blossoms that eventually become light pink. {% if v.option1 == value %} Excellent packaging! The first time I fed them they produced a thick cover of pink lilac colored flowers , re blooming later in summer a smaller show of flowers. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. While this plant leans to blue, the flower color may range from blue to pink to white, all soft, delicate shades perfect for refined gardens. {%- if image != blank -%} Once your plant is shipped youll receive an email with tracking information. These also do very well in garden planters. They were packed very well, with much care. Indoor and Outdoor Plant Food at least two times during summer. {% assign optionVariant = v %} {%- endif -%} Details: Name: Hydrangea serrata'MAKD' pp#24,842, cbr#5125 Hardiness:USDA zones 4-9 Height x width:2-3' tall and wide Light:Full to part sun. Reblooming, so you can enjoy months of flowers. They are making themselves at home and flourishing. Doesn't get any easier than that! Tiny Tuff Stuff Hydrangea Categories: Plants, Shrubs, Small Shrubs (Deciduous) An attractive, re-blooming shrub featuring showy white to light-pink lacecap flowers with creamy centers, that turn more blue in acid soil; re-blooms on new and old wood; deep green leaves turn burgundy in fall Characteristics Ornamental Features Landscape Attributes Plant arrived perfectly in tact and absolutely happy in the space I planted it. Provides winter interest too if flowers are left on. In terms of USDA hardiness zones, the cold and heat tolerance of mountain hydrangeas is similar to that of bigleaf hydrangeas, zones 5-9. Depending on the soil, flowers colors will differ. {%- if image.width > 1728 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '1728x' }} 1728w {{ 1728 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} However, cold climate gardeners will likely find that they have much better success getting flowers every year on mountain hydrangeas than they do on bigleaf hydrangeas. Once they are a little stronger I'll start selecting every other one to put in other long term places - I'll choose somewhere west that has great morning sun and protection in the afternoon heat since that seems to have worked for them. All Rights Reserved. They receive about 5 hours of early morning sun. Tuff Stuff ships in 4.5 inch quart and 1 gallon containers. Thank you for making these available to me to purchase, they are already giving me joy before coming into their real abilities. Light/Watering: The majority of types prefer midday shade in the South but flourish in full sun in the North. Bigleaf hydrangeas come in three different varieties: True to its name, the bigleaf hydrangeas trait that sets it apart from other hydrangea varieties is the size of its leaves. The optimal time to prune is soon following the June peak bloom if size control or thinning is required. Discover more about the small businesses partnering with Amazon and Amazons commitment to empowering them. These arrived during a heatwave and I was worried, but they were fine. It has a wonderful compact habit, growing to only 18-24 inches tall. We take great pride in our packaging. Thank you for making these available to me to purchase, they are already giving me joy before coming into their real abilities. {% assign inventory_quantity = inventory_quantity | plus: v.inventory_quantity %} If you live in a warm climate, are on a limited budget, or are willing to wait longer for plants to touch, use the higher end of the range. %} Find a garden center near you at https://www.provenwinners.com/retailers/locateSpend more time with Tiny Tuff Stuff mountain hydrangea at https://springmeadownursery.com/plantfinder/tiny-tuff-stuff-43900Have questions about this or another Proven Winners ColorChoice Shrub? {%- if image.width > 1080 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '1080x' }} 1080w {{ 1080 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} They also do well in large containers alone and in combinations. Any plant shipped dormant in the spring is guaranteed to break dormancy even if it takes more than one month. Ultimate in easy care and beauty. The plants are thoroughly trialed and tested in every growing zone before we state the plant can grow in a zone. {%- capture image_widths -%} While this plant leans to blue, the flower color may range from blue to pink to white. They work great as border plants, edging plants, mass plantings, and as dried flowers. https://www.greatgardenplants.com/pages/our-guarantee, https://www.greatgardenplants.com/collections/deer-resistant, {% assign image = product.featured_image %} Each summer, hundreds of lacecap blooms cover the plant, thanks to its increased hardiness over its close cousin, the bigleaf hydrangea. {% for v in product.variants %} There's an oddity about them. With their flowers being the main distinction, lacecap and mophead hydrangeas are nearly identical to one another. I moved them to where they'd enjoy more moist soil. {% assign discontinued = 'true' %} Second, the mulch helps keep moisture around the plant. A . You may safely remove any dead or very old/non-productive stems at the base to increase air flow and enhance the plant's habit. Deep pink Tuff Stuff blooms in alkaline soil and purple-blue Tuff Stuff blooms in acidic soil. {%- assign image_size = image.width | append: 'x' -%} They usually become more apparent later in summer, and particularly if a plant becomes stressed. Mountain Hydrangea is not particular about soil type however, Tiny Tuff Stuff does like evenly moist soils for best performance. Idaho has restricted all potted plant material from being shipped into Idaho at this time . The Tuff StuffTM series of reblooming hydrangeas are the ones that live up to their promise if youve had uneven results with H. macrophylla. Mountain hydrangeas are a fantastic alternative for locations with late winter cold snaps because they have hardier buds and do well in hardiness zone 5. {% assign imgOffset = 0 %} Smooth Hydrangea Photo credit: Rosie Lerner / Purdue Extension Hydrangea species {% endfor %} It is hardy to USDA zones 5 - 9 (-20F/-28C) and will grow to be 1.5-2' tall and wide (.46-.6m tall and. Again, our #1 priority is to ship the plants to you healthy and ready to thrive in your location. {% if v.available %}{% assign available = true %}{% endif %} The first year only a few blooms early and then no more though the plants grew a lot of new foliage. I will be adding more. We want to ensure your plants establish in your garden and return the following spring. {% assign discontinued = '' %} {% endcapture %}, {% if forloop.first or product.tags contains 'Graphic Overlay'%}, {% assign last_slide = 0 %} Bobo (Panicle Hydrangea) Shrub, dwarf form with white flowers, #3 - Size Container, 2 Gal Proven Winners Little Quick Fire Hydrangea, Rich Pink and Creamy White, Best Choice Products Rustic Wooden Wishing Well Planter Outdoor Home Dcor for Patio, Garden, Yard w/Hanging Bucket, Endless Summer Original Hydrangea, 1 Gal, Blue, GREENTIME Tiny Artificial 7 Heads Hydrangea Bouquet Faux 13 Inches Mini Silk Hydrangea Flowers Summer Floral for Wedding Home Table Centerpiece Party Decoration (Green), Tuff Stuff Foam Cleaner Multi-Purpose Cleaner, 22 oz Aerosol, 2 Pack, Car Cleaner and Stain Remover by Tuff Stuff, Multi Purpose Cleaner with Scrubby Cap for Cars, Truck, Motorcycle, 18 Oz, Tuff Stuff Red (Mountain Hydrangea) Live Shrub, Pink to Red Flowers, 1 Gallon, Tuff Stuff Multi Purpose Foam Cleaner for Deep Cleaning - 22 oz. how to fix weird spacing between words in word,