I actually don't -- I think we could continue one city at a time. BRZEZINSKI: Randi, really quickly. They have to go see this movie and have smaller conversations like this. Davis, I want to go to you on this one. I think the point of departure between Michelle and I may be that I see, just like in Finland and Singapore and other places, that we need to all actually work together, focused on instruction, focused on how we help people do the best jobs they can and then -- BRZEZINSKI: Wasnt that what she was doing? The documentary follows It's about figuring out what works in charter schools and exporting that across America. I want to ask you another really quick question and then go around to the rest of the panel. I think they put the money into this mayoral campaign because it was a symbol of reform in this country. These people are the ones making the decisions. And the idea that we now can do it means that we have a very moment right now to say let's take those things, let's take those ingredients and bring them into mainstream schools. Where you tried to focus on good teachers in Washington. /GS1 17 0 R What have you been able to do with them? /TrimBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] I knew -- as Davis said, I knew what was going to happen before she knew what was going to happen. SCARBOROUGH: Right. /Properties << Stevenson feeds into Roosevelt, one of the worst-performing schools in Los Angeles. SCARBOROUGH: Why would you spend a million dollars to defeat a mayor? GLORIA: Im just so afraid for him. 5 0 obj You have to live in the district. These are our communities. BRZEZINSKI: All right. 1. BRZEZINSKI: Thank you. This is about the kids in the movie, and this is about how those of us on this stage help kids. 6 0 obj It was about a whole range of other issues. By what name was Waiting for Superman (2010) officially released in India in English? I want to just ask Randi, you've been taking pot shots from everybody here on stage, including us at times. Wouldn't that have been better? So there are teachers who are having this debate within the spectrum of your organization. Thanks to all of our guests. Through the stories of five children who wanted to attend a charter school, the film shows how one child was accepted and another child was accepted from the wait list while three children were not accepted at all. >> When you hear, well, I get paid whether or not you learn or not, it sticks with you. /XObject << /GS0 18 0 R SCARBOROUGH: All right. Ultimately they want the tools and conditions in order to do that. BRZEZINSKI: On Tuesday morning at 8:00 a.m. from this very stage, General Colin Powell and his wife on "MORNING JOE." Obviously at the end most people watching this movie teared up. WEINGARTEN: Let me get to both of these issues, let me see if I can conflate them. Now it's happening in Houston. /TrimBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] The movie's major villains are the National SCARBOROUGH: The reformer. SCARBOROUGH: Why is it -- [ applause ] why is it that you have an area like Washington, D.C. that is 12 percent proficient in math? /Properties << It just came out this week. NAKIA: Shes 7 now. But you did. The bottom line is, you cannot say that you support removing ineffective teachers when then I fire ineffective teachers and you slap me with lawsuits and you slap me with the grievances. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: To come see, geography and love, thats it. WebShop for waiting for superman documentary transcript filetype:lua at Best Buy. However, the film shows how even charter schools leave some children behind, as those who are not chosen by the luck of the draw in the lottery system, are not able to attend the charter schools of their choice. [4][5][6] On Rotten Tomatoes the film has a "Certified Fresh" approval rating of 90% based on reviews from 118 critics. /Font << We'll hear from the audience as well. }>=Uw2cS=V. I9kZJw^EAOd j]Y[wl-e06E#/mlyTbE9f}@8 a/ ^} We even tolerate mediocre teachers. SCARBOROUGH: Okay, Michelle -- WEINGARTEN: We agreed at times. I mean I think that's what this whole debate is about in many ways. Having made a film on the subject in 1999, documentary filmmaker. I want to talk about New York for one second. There's a lot of people in this country that aren't feeling what we feel. /Count 5 /Producer (Python PDF Library \055 http\072\057\057pybrary\056net\057pyPdf\057) The Superman movie fans are waiting for Superman: Legacy will be released on 11 July 2025. RHEE: Thats correct. Let's give five extra hours for all the teachers in America to help kids right now and have the unions lead this charge of saying this is an emergency, we need to help these kids. GUGGENHEIM: And fight for these kids. E]D[JWlwH{,j73?Mazd. [31] Ravitch served as a board member with the NAEP and says that "the NAEP doesn't measure performance in terms of grade-level achievement," as claimed in the film, but only as "advanced," "proficient," and "basic." /Rotate 0 One of the most disheartening moments of the movie for me is when you were driving away from the meeting, your meeting, with the teachers, and it just showed your face. "Waiting for Superman" ( Superman & Lois), an episode of Superman & Lois. 8 0 obj The video explores several of the problems within the system, and tells the personal stories of several families and communities who have been impacted and disadvantaged by the broken education system. You get to the nation's capital, the nation's capital, only 16 percent of students are proficient in math. Because I know he's easily influenced to do things he shouldn't do. /Type /Page [2] The film criticizes the American public education system by following several students as they strive to be accepted into competitive charter schools such as KIPP LA Schools, Harlem Success Academy and Summit Preparatory Charter High School. BRZEZINSKI: And the reaction that we saw just moments ago was the same, these are people who know. There are a couple of things leaders, in which we all are, could do. In this incredible movie, "Waiting For Superman," Davis Guggenheim introduces to us some of the heroic parents who struggle to provide a better future for their children. I said I don't want to go up. SCARBOROUGH: Its about jobs. BRZEZINSKI: How do we get to what you're saying, though? Weve seen some innovation spread more than one place. Ht6R*bs7n& You talked about evaluations like every other business. It is a revolution. We could say to everyone in education we have to give a couple of more hours. UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You see the cages up here. Explain to me how that is good for children. "[12] The Hollywood Reporter focused on Geoffrey Canada's performance as "both the most inspiring and a consistently entertaining speaker," while also noting it "isn't exhaustive in its critique. And we have to have everyone, even parents, recommitted, you know, even school officials, district heads, superintendents, unions, all of us have to move off a position of self-interest like I do with my own kids, sending them to private school, like the unions do, I think, preserving the status quo. RHEE: First, I think I would be remiss if I did not point out to everybody that there's been a lot of talk about public schools, public schools. SCARBOROUGH: Hold on a second. SCARBOROUGH: Do you think he's going to do the right thing now that the teachers union is giving him a million dollars? 1 0 obj Randi we'll let you get a response in here and also, Mika, what we're going to do is figure out where everybody agrees. Eighth graders at Kipp L.A. Prep get triple the classroom time in math and science. /ProcSet [ /PDF /Text ] /Parent 1 0 R WebShop for waiting for superman documentary transcript filetype:lua at Best Buy. /Properties << I support public schools. >> And that most of them are getting a really crappy education right now. ?zBzD%YC1_PVu,fkGsM'2Hnm^]6_1W|qpff&,+y cWoM~UNxa*_EE}=}z/P__~:Y)z `'4Q!-ccE"?6HD6JW (b]Jl BP> >> The lottery in this movie is a metaphor. LEGEND: I think there needs to be an understanding in our community when we fight for our kids we're fighting for our community. BRZEZINSKI: Ill tell you right now, Randi, I want to know after the break why we can't use pay to inspire teachers. /GS0 18 0 R Were going to talk to in a second and thats where Jeff Zucker told me I needed to go. /Resources << Educational reception and allegations of inaccuracy. There are really, really bad charter schools across America. SCARBOROUGH: You guys were great. The union leaderships could take this on as a platform and say this is something we're going to commit to and give our membership behind this so we can show progress in taking on these issues. So we've got to open up this issue of innovation and we've got to make sure that in those places we allow real educators to come in and redesign this thing so it works. And that's something that no parent wants their child to ever be a witness or to hear when they're going to school. BRZEZINSKI: They were underperforming it. And the next morning Im driving my kids in the minivan to school and they go to a great private school in Los Angeles. You are not exactly what some would consider to be a conservative filmmaker. We can't wait and talk about this another seven, eight, ten years. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Next year, Anthonys class will move up to junior high. You know that process has to be fixed. You say no one wants lousy teachers but there are a lot of really lousy teachers who are protected by this current system. We have to go to break. And we need to have good evaluation systems. /BleedBox [ 0 0 595.27600 841.89000 ] I'd like to follow up by asking you, that on "MEET THE PRESS" this morning, you said the union has taken steps to make teachers better, taken concrete steps. Many of them. Since many charter schools are not large enough to accept all of their applicants, the selection of students is done by lottery. >> They said, look, this work is hard. And that means get involved. Everyone in this room is feeling something powerful tonight. UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Vergosa, Andrew. What were your thoughts when the number did not come up? That is the problem. That means in the midterms. She was a teacher in Indianapolis. Educ 300: Education Reform, Past and Present, an undergraduate course with Professor Jack Dougherty at Trinity College, Hartford CT. David GuggenheimsWaiting for Supermanlooks at how theAmerican public school system is failing its students and displays how reformers have attempted to solve this problem. SCARBOROUGH: Davis? People -- but this room needs to get bigger. It's about places that have failed for 30, 40, 50 years, we can't do the same thing this year that we did last year. "Geraldo at Large." You believe it, don't you, Michelle? Geoffrey Canada. BRZEZINSKI: When we come back, we'll talk more about that.