He raised the level of all the players on that team. (Complete Story), The Life And Career Of Ickey Woods (Complete Story), What Happened To Akili Smith? It was the first of 11 losses in the next 20 games for Oregon. When Ki-Jana Carter took the college football world by storm, many experts thought he had Barry Sanders-like potential. by Rodrigo Torrejn. Copyright 2023 Endgame360 Inc. All Rights Reserved. I told Akili's family, 'Look, it's a little difficult at times to deal with Cincinnati. After waiting three years to get back into the NFL, the Browns, technically an expansion team in 1999, had jumped the gun on Tagliabue's pronouncement by almost nine hours. Akili Smith is 47 years old. Smith admitted he didnt put in the necessary time required to get a first grasp of the playbook. I'd say the Bengals just because Ricky had a decent career compared to Akili who was absolutely terrible. Akili Smith. There have been six Oregon Football players (technically Dennis Dixon was the seventh, but he wasnt the feature) who have appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated in the magazines history. Athletic Background. Smith didn't attempt a pass in the Packers' first preseason game that year, the Hall of Fame game on August 4. (Although there was that fumbleand the wrist was down too.). Instead of taking the trade, the Bengals stayed with their initial decision to draft Smith, who, while athletic (he had also played two years of minor-league baseball and ran a 4.66 40-yard dash[6]), was still largely unproven, having only succeeded at the college level for one season. I agree with this perspective more than the perspective that Akili Smith didn't want to work. Washington pounced on . Marvin Lewis was a savior to the Cincinnati Bengals. Leigh Steinberg, Smith's agent: "The Browns made it very clear to both Akili and I they had not decided whether they wanted Tim Couch or Akili. ", Palmer: "You throw these young quarterbacks to the wolves and there's a learning curve. Something I never did on a trade. That selection was painfully wrong on top of the fact they turned down the chance to reshape their future by nixing the Saints offer. I really believe that.". You have about a 33 percent chance [for success] with third-round picks, fourth round is 25 percent, fifth round is 20 percent and sixth- and seventh-rounders are about 9 percent long shots. (College Stats), Weighted Career AV (100-95-): 2 (13368th overall since 1960). BALTIMORE _ Akili Smith now has as many touchdown passes as concussions this season and that concerns a Bengals' team that saw its last franchise quarterback battered before he could pan out. In the environment Smith was thrown into it would have taken a miracle for him to succeed . The deal reportedly included every 1999 pick from the Saints, There were times in there when the game was in slow-motion, Bengals eventually brought in Marvin Lewis. The headline touting Oregon as Rich, Cool, and 4-0 was hinting at Oregons arrival on the national scene as a perennial national powerhouse. Unfortunately for him, he happened to enter the NFL Draft at a time when . (For the record, Ditka had promised to do the same thing the year before to get Peyton Manning, to no avail.). They can't do that!" Traded to Miami in 2002 for two first-round picks, Williams was an All-Pro that season for the Dolphins. The Bengals just had to have Akili Smith. We always pick draft picks up with the intern's car because we wanted to get them straight: You're starting at the bottom now. Feb 8. How He Got On the Cover: The newly expanded Cleveland Browns franchise were looking to take a quarterback with the #1 pick. While Harrington and the Ducks had a stellar year, the same cant be said about his cover mate, Ken Simonton, and his team, the Oregon State Beavers, who seemed to absorb the entirety of the jinx. They went back on their word. There was no general manager so the coaches had to do it., When the Bengals eventually brought in Marvin Lewis, Smith said that changed the culture for the franchise. Pac-12 needs more members & more inventory for new media rights deal, which is expected to rely heavily on digital streaming services. Find out more. A few weeks earlier, Polian had a deal in place with another team (even now, he won't name the other team), but it fell apart at the last second. Twenty-one years ago, the Bengals had the third pick in the 1999 NFL draft. [12], In March 2010, Smith joined the University of California's football staff as a graduate assistant to work with the offense. The game ended in embarrassing fashion with a disastrous post-game punch from starting RB LeGarrette Blount that nearly incited a riot and caused a nationwide media backlash against the Oregon program that permeated all season, and continues to haunt Blount to this day in his pro career. At the center of it all was Washington general manager Charley Casserly, who recently categorized the 1999 draft as a "once in a generation" type event. MTVs Double Shot at Love season 3 finale aired on December 9th 2021. I'm sure a lot of guys didn't like riding in the intern's car. 11 jersey on that football field. Stints in Europe and Canada followed, and he retired in 2007. Today, we check in on the current whereabouts of NFL draft bust Akili Smith. He was deprived of a huge thrill that he deserved and it's hard to not have any feelings about that at all. I'll smile, take into account what happened and put it in the back of my mind and prove you wrong. Warrick stepped into an inherently . Oh yeah, big time. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. Our 33 rules at the free OBD Forum can be summarized to this: 1) be polite and respectful, 2) do not tell anyone what to think, feel or write, and 3) no reference of any kind to politics. Despite displaying an extraordinary amount of athleticism and a knack for the position in college, Akili struggled to adapt to the speed of the professional game. The deal-breaker for the Bears was UCLA quarterback Cade McNown, so I just went through what everyone else was gonna pick with the info I had gathered and explained to them that he'd still be there. Neil O'Donnell was actually very serviceable with a 15-4 touchdown-to-interception ratio completing over 60% of his passes. Akili Smith got off to a late start with the Cincinnati Bengals after holding out during a contract dispute. Brown did not respond to an interview request. In comment 16042728 NINEster said: Quote: done very well with Rodgers, and even Alex Smith. I've talked to Don about this and he downplays how it affected him, but I feel like I know him well enough that what could have been one of the most joyful moments of his life was stolen away. What ties them together is that . To start with, Pocahontas wasn't even . It was the slap heard 'round the Dolby Theatre. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the first round (3rd overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft, the third quarterback in the first three choices, behind Tim Couch (Cleveland Browns), and Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia Eagles). Under first-year head coach Mike Ditka, the Saints were looking for a franchise running back. Possibly one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history, Smith was drafted third overall by the Bengals in 1999 after a dominant junior season at Oregon where he scored 36 touchdowns. During his second season (2000), the Bengals benched him. The season opening loss against Boise State was bad, but Oregon did go on to be the first team to win the Pac-10 by two games in years. But after throwing for 3,763 yards with 32 TDs against eight INTs, Smith had a spectacular pro day workout that left scouts oohing and aahing, making him one of the fastest risers in draft history. ", Casserly: "Edgerrin James' flight got canceled and he rebooked the whole thing himself and was sitting on the curb at the airport when we went to pick him up. In it Fife/Clemens combined to throw seven interceptions, part of an eight-turnover day for the Ducks. Akili Prince is known for Die Hard with a Vengeance (1995), The Cosby Show (1984) and Pryor's Place (1984). And that was really the deciding factor for me. Former Oregon quarterback Akili Smith isn't where anyone thought he would be 13 years after he was selected with the third overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft: Slogging toward the finish line of finally getting his college degree. cover jinx has inflicted other players or teams heavier than Oregon, many fans dont easily forget the events that have occurred following a SI feature, in particular one in 2003 that was so atrocious it seemed there had to have been a curse, broken mirror, black cat, and Coach Bellotti walking under a ladder pre-game for things to turn so sour. If they didnt bring in Marvin Lewis, they mightve been in that same age of what they were in under Akili Smith, under Dave Klingler, under Big Daddy Wilkinson, everybody they call a bust. No Trolls Allowed! Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted. We had a good team. He was, however, unsuccessful there and was later released. Steinberg: "Draft time is not real time. No. GM Bill Polian didn't want to do it, but Faulk's contract had become untenable and the Colts weren't in a position to renegotiate the deal or tolerate a long, disruptive holdout. CATCH UP WITH DOUBLE SHOT AT LOVE ON THE MTV WEBSITE, AND GET FREAKY WITH US ON INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK, Screenshot: A Double Shot at Love s3 - MTV, Jersey Shore: Family Vacation (Season 4) Supertease | MTV. Menu. . The Bengals turned it down. Smith threw for 45 touchdowns in his two seasons. Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Friday, March 3, 2:32PM. What Happened to the Team after the Cover: Oregon would go on to win its first outright conference title in seven years. Akili Smith Student at Parkview High School Norcross, GA. Akili Smith-Washington SRTP Intern at UCSF Houston, TX. He said of Oregon, I definitely have interest in them but I have my options open.. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the first round (3rd overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft, the third quarterback in the first three choices, behind Tim Couch (Cleveland Browns), and Donovan McNabb . ", In Philadelphia, Mayor Ed Rendell proclaimed that the Eagles should draft Williams with the second pick overall. With the top three picks all being used on quarterbacks, and five total taken in the first 12 picks, there was speculation by the ESPN crew covering the draft on TV that the 1999 QB class would rival the famed 1983 QB class that included John Elway, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino. 2005-2023 CBS INTERACTIVE ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Although, in the NFL, you know it's never done until it's done. He signed late and it hurt the young quarterback. Akili Smith starred at the University of Oregon, throwing for 3,763 yards and a 32-8 TD-INT ratio in his final season. From 1999-2002, Smith started 17 games, recorded a 3-14 record, completing only 46.6% of his passes, five touchdowns and 13 interceptions for a career quarterback rating of 52.8. It was the slap seen around the world.. Smith missed a large portion of training camp during his rookie season in 1999 due to contract disputes. He said Lewis brought in those pieces that were needed and brought stability to the team. The Surprising Rise of Oregon Basketball in 1944-1945! Smith's father Akili Smith was a JUCO all-American out of San Diego (Calif.) Grossmont back in 1996 before playing two years for Oregon and earning All-American honors for the Ducks in 1998. LostLettermen.com is a college football and men's basketball site. And clearly it's because they are entertaining trade offers.". At 3:30 a.m. Browns president Carmen Policy signed a deal for Kentucky quarterback Tim Couch, who had set SEC records in attempts (553), completion percentage (72.3), passing yards (4,275) and touchdowns (36) in an early iteration of Hal Mumme's and Mike Leach's vaunted Air Raid offense. Akili, who was older than James, spoke with . Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Achille Lauro hijacking, hijacking of the Italian cruise ship the MS Achille Lauro on Oct. 7, 1985, by four Palestinian militants associated with a faction of the Palestine Liberation Front (PLF). At the spring NFL owners meetings, Saints coach Mike Ditka proclaimed that he would be willing to trade his entire draft for the chance to move up and take Heisman Trophy winner and Texas running back Ricky Williams. He led the conference in passing yards and the entire NCAA in passing yards per attempt. Smith would only make one start in 2001, only one appearance in 2002 and was told that he was done in Cincinnati on May 31, 2003. We were going to be young and we needed someone who would raise the level of play the same way with our players. Javascript is required for the selection of a player. On April 28, 2007, Smith signed a two-year contract with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League, where he was expected to compete for the starting quarterback position with another former NFL player, Henry Burris. ProFootballHistory.com. It's been almost three months since Will Smith shocked the celebrity world by slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars. The Our Beloved Ducks Forum (OBD) is where we we discuss the article above and many more topics, as it is so much easier in a message board format over there. Simonton, needing 113 yards in the 2001 Civil War to become the first Pac-10 running back to have four consecutive 1,000 yard seasons, fell 29 yards short, resulting in the worst statistical season of his college career. On par and more historic than the equally dreaded Madden game cover jinx that dictates that whichever NFL player appears on the games cover will inevitably get hurt the next season; for the unindoctrinated, the famous SI cover jinx occurs when anyone appearing on the cover of the magazine is immediately subject to a poor performance or misfortune shortly thereafter. SB Nation recently embarked on a new video series looking at what would have hypothetically happened if a major event in NFL history had gone differently. "Kitna and Brat were together in Seattle, and I knew Kit was Brat's guy," Smith said. He only played in 22 games and was out of the league after the 2002 season. Akili Smith was the Cincinnati Bengals' No. I told our scouts we'd move back up if we could but if not we liked [future defensive rookie of the year] Jevon Kearse at 12. Do you have a blog? Speaking of Akielia, Vinny described her as intelligent and also said that his mom liked her, which could have been part of the reason Vinny picked her. 25 Oct 1997: Quarterback Akili Smith of the Oregon Ducks scrambles with the ball as tailback Saladin McCullough (right) goes into action during a game against the USC Trojans at the Los Angeles Mem Movies. Use without license or authorization is expressly prohibited. The star has fans concerned. The name obviously rings a bell; Smith Jr. is the son of Oregon legend Akili Smith, who was the starting QB in Eugene for the 1997 and 1998 seasons. Copyright 2000-2023 Sports Reference LLC. He gives us what Walter Payton gave us in Chicago. Smith admitted in a 2009 interview with Sports Illustrated that his excessive off-season lifestyle partially contributed to his lack of success. But I think he ran a little more than me. Gone golfing.". Smith Jr. already stands at 6-foot-5 and 200 lbs going into his sophomore season. Last week, DeAnthony Thomas became the sixth, leading to concern from superstitious fans who worry that a drop in production, or worse, (*knock on wood*) an injury might befell the young star. * 21+ (19+ CA-ONT) (18+ NH/WY). Akili played 3 seasons in the Pittsburg Pirates system. Author of "Noah's Rainbow" (a father's memoir) and "Breaker Boys" (stolen 1925 NFL title). The final offer, which was refused by Bengals management, was for nine draft picks, several extra in that year as well as many the next year. On Saturday night at the hotels, once we landed and got situated and got ready to go for a Sunday game, our coaches were on the road scouting other collegiate athletes. My dad helped me get that offer because of coach Jeff Tedford, he saw me and he wanted to be the first to offer me. As we went to sleep that night we really had no idea about where they'd end up the next morning. Akili Smith weighed 220 lbs (99 kg) when playing. It was so bad, that in some parts of the country at halftime ABC turned off the national broadcast feed to the game, and instead of switching to another game instead showed infomercials in lieu of the 2nd half of the game. Akili Smith is 6-3 (190 cm) tall. Given the name Kabisa Akili Maradufu Smith (in Swahili, "kabisa" means "completely", "akili" means "mind", and "maradufu" means "double" or "a Gemini twin") by his parents Glorida Bryant and Ray Smith,[1] Akili Smith was born in San Diego, California. Position: QB. Cleveland nearly selected Smith, agreeing on contract terms with him before the team agreed with Couch. Palmer: "We liked Ricky and thought he was a very good player. As soon as it became clear Smith was probably going to Cincinnati with the third pick, Akili's family, led by his father, Ray Smith, a minister in San Diego, formed a circle to specifically pray . As soon as Kuharich confirms the deal I start calling everyone in front of us to move back up. *Sources are at the bottom*Hey everyone and welcome to a new Series I'm trying out called "What happened to" where I take a promising athlete (in this case N. Akili Prince is an actor who played Darnell Chenault in the Law & Order episode "Subterranean Homeboy Blues". 1:44. ET. Akili Smith was the biggest bust in . It was the first team shutout since 2003 vs. Stanford, though Oregon SHOULD have had a shutout in 2011 vs. Colorado if not for a dumb safety on a punt return by Cliff Harris, his final play as an Oregon Duck before being dismissed from the team. Vinny said of Akiela during the finale that she doesnt really show that shes that into him and that shes not lovey dovey, he added: I dont want to get hurt here. So perhaps there is no jinx, just a lot of positive attention for a well-deserving team. ", Casserly: "The morning of the draft I called [Saints GM Bill Kuharich] and confirmed that we had the basics for the deal. Akili Smith. Akili Smith. He signed late and it hurt the young quarterback. No. What those clowns didnt know is that Bo loved baseball more than football, he just happened to be really good at both. Williams did not respond to several interview requests. Ten years after a $10 million signing bonus failed to extract his full potential, the 33-year-old Smith has re-dedicated himself to his sport and is sweating the small stuff for . Smith held out for 25 days and ultimately managed just 17 starts and five career passing touchdowns. Did the SI Cover Jinx Apply? Accepting Will Smith's apology for slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars, film academy governor Whoopi Goldberg said actor will face 'big consequences.' On the broadcast, waiting by the edge of the stage expecting to be called, a stunned Williams could be seen mouthing the word "wow" and then dropping his head. Akili Prince. So do fans need to worry in the wake of the most recent Sports Illustrated cover feature?Lets review all the cover cases to find out. Reply Yosoff Vikings . Pac-12 commish George Kliavkoff visiting SMU Wednesday, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. (Complete Story), What Happened To Peter Warrick? Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? ProFootballHistory.com. 1, 2 or 3 you're going to a team that's missing a lot of parts and you need time, we needed time, to fill those parts in.". Out of football after four seasons, he's considered one of the biggest draft busts in history. Every second seems like a minute and every minute seems like an hour. So, lets find out more about what happened between him and Akeila. Represented by Master P's No Limit Sports, Williams signed a vastly undermarket, incentive-laden rookie contract. Did the SI Cover Jinx Apply? Akili Smith has not been elected into the Hall of Fame. ", Casserly: "That morning I called Polian and I asked him point blank as a friend, 'Who you gonna take at running back?' Smith Sr. passed for 3,763 yards, 32 touchdowns and 8 interceptions in 1998 at Oregon with Tedford as his offensive coordinator and quarterback coach. Against Washington State last Saturday again DeAnthony Thomas was held in check, though it was the first time all season that any team was brave enough to actually kick-off to him, Thomas never managed to break open. Two-Sport athlete, plays basketball, father Akili Smith was an All-American QB at Oregon and No. Draft: 1st round, 3rd overall of the 1999 NFL draft by the Cincinnati Bengals. cover jinx started a sharp downward spiral of events that became one of the darkest times in Oregons recent history, necessitating drastic changesCoach Bellotti scrapping the pro set system that had worked so well at Oregon for decades in favor of converting to a new spread offense attack. Meanwhile, on the morning of the draft, another backroom deal loomed large over the entire event. Looking at their IG pages, Vinny isnt following Akielia, but she is still following Vinny, so its unlikely that theyre still in a relationship. The deal reportedly included every 1999 pick from the Saints, a 2000 first-round pick, a 2001 first-round pick, and a second-round pick in 2002. Vinny had three women to choose from during the Double Shot at Love finale Peachy, Erika D and Akielia. This was all that was needed to garner some buzz for the 1999 NFL Draft -- and we don't mean the kind of buzz after drinking half-price Bud Lights after work. Judging by both Vinny and Akielias Instagram pages following the season 3 finale, it doesnt appear that their relationship continued outside of the MTV show. Following the death of 17-year-old lioness Akili at the Birmingham Zoo earlier this week, zoo spokesperson Jennifer Ogilvie said there are no current plans to remove from the habitat the male . JUST BEFORE NOON on April 17, 1999, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue stepped to the podium inside Madison Square Garden to begin what would be the wildest 90 minutes in NFL draft history. Ditka: "We're gonna become a much better football team because of Ricky Williams. Then again, they are the Cincinnati Bengals so maybe they wouldnt do anything different. I love the kid. He played college football at Oregon. Smith threw for 45 touchdowns in his two seasons. Helen Williams. Terry O'Neil, Saints cap specialist (to the Times-Picayune in 2009): "The Ricky Williams trade was really the death of the whole operation. Top 250 Movies Most Popular Movies Top 250 TV Shows Most Popular TV Shows Most Popular Video Games Most Popular Music Videos Most Popular Podcasts. Chris Rock is breaking his silence about the Oscars incident when Will Smith struck him onstage after the presenter made a joke about Smith's wife, Jada Pinkett Smith . Despite two ten-win seasons (2005 and 2008), and being the best team in the nation for half of another (2007), Oregon wasnt featured on another cover until 2009. The Oregon quarterback lasted just four seasons in Cincinnati. He was a legitimate two-way player at Georgia. It was a very quick discussion and it didn't even tempt us for five minutes. Frequently Asked Questions about the NFL and Football, Pro-Football-Reference.com Blog and Articles, Subscribe to Stathead Football: Get your first month FREE. Send questions/feedback/hatemail to nroholtfd@gmail.com. If you're a quarterback and you go [Nos.] The Oregon Football Season of Surprising Sophomore Success, Bowl-less, but one of the BEST Oregon Teams in Decades. . His agent Leigh Steinberg hired a tutor to help improve his score for the 1999 scouting combine, and he scored a 37 on the second try.[1]. There was some stuff going on with the organization and I think even the organization would agree that they werent doing things right back in the day. But this didn't come without its controversy. Before the draft, New Orleans head coach Mike Ditka offered the Bengals nine draft picks for the 1999 and 2000 NFL Drafts, hoping to move up and draft Ricky Williams. My dad helped me get that offer because of coach, (Photo: Left: Jeff Tedford, BarkBoard.com | Right: Akili Smith Jr. (Family photo) ). It's also available for basketball, baseball and hockey. All the busts mightve had different careers under someone like a Marvin Lewis.. December 10, 2021. His offensive coordinator from 2001 to 2002, Bob Bratkowski, said Smith "wasn't as diligent as he should have been" regarding his film and playbook study habits. Jeff Blake and Paul Justin recorded starts that season. Were definitely going to go up there for a visit and see the facilities. Follow her @realakieliabreonia. . When was Akili Smith born? The new uniforms didnt hurt getting them a spot, either. Smith went on to make 17 starts in four seasons, throwing just five touchdowns. It's not fair. I know this: We weren't the only team that didn't take the trade. That team used Akili Smith and Scott Mitchell . They measured jinxes occurring at 37.2% rate, or approximately three in eight. How He Got On the Cover: The newly expanded Cleveland Browns franchise were looking to take a quarterback with the #1 pick. Akili Smith. One of which was his half brother, Akili Roberson, who played football and was highly recruited out of high school, along with his sister Arnique Jelks. Smith was named second-team All-American and Pac-10 conference offensive player of the year. Its very, very good for us that we know Coach Tedford.. That was me. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Twenty-three years ago Oregon quarterback Akili Smith was the third overall NFL Draft pick after receiving the tutelage of, Smith Jr. reacted to the offer saying, I was surprised. How He Got On the Cover: Fifes 15-yard TD run gave Oregon the lead for good in a 31-27 victory over #3 Michigan, a game some would categorize as the biggest win in school history. ", Yep, the 1999 NFL draft was just as crazy as you thought, The future of the NFL combine: Is there really a chance it could end forever? He did get a rushing touchdown, but on the ground and through the air Thomas barely had 50 yards total, as it was Kenjon Barner carrying the load against the Cougars. explained to Cleveland.coms Doug Lesmerises, where he ran for 1,539 yards and 23 touchdowns on 198 carries, with 2,829 rushing yards and 34 touchdowns on 395 carries, signed a lucrative seven-year, $19.2 million deal, with 1,144 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns on 319 carries, spoke about his enthusiasm for his business, he was inducted intothe Rose Bowl Hall of Fame, Carter participated in Champions for Children SWFL, The Life And Career Of David Klingler (Story), The Life And Career Of Carl Pickens (Story), The Life And Career Of Archie Griffin (Story), The Life And Career Of Anthony Muoz (Story), The Life And Career Of Jack "Throwin' Samoan" Thompson (Story), What Happened To Chris Henry? Collins, GA (February 28, 2023) - Carson Colbert, age 19, has been arrested and charged with murder in connection to the shooting death of his stepfather, James Eric Williamson, age 46. What Happened to Them After the Cover: Masoli had the best season of his college career, becoming the first Oregon quarterback to start a Rose Bowl since Danny ONeil in 1995. There was no scouting department. Cincinnati gets a pass protector with a pedigree. We got Ricky and he's the final piece to the puzzle. But we knew we were drafting the best defensive player in the draft with a lot of upside and we knew that all the deals we did gave the Redskins three No. I was gone. Our PR people came in and said the phone lines are burning up. Vinny picked her over the other contestants on the show which saw him searching for the one. It could be argued certainly that the cover jinx affected Oregon, but Cam Newton was on just as many covers as James that season, and we know how it ended for Newton. The 3rd pick was spent by the Bengals on Oregon QB Akili Smith. He's what we need. But the consensus after the prayer circle was, if it's God's will to go to Cincinnati then they'd be fine going to Cincinnati.". We present them here for purely educational purposes. Call 1-800-GAMBLER. So we were in New York and we walked into the brunch they prepare for all the draftees before the event begins -- I think it was at the Marriott Marquis -- and there was a TV on with ESPN announcing the Browns were selecting Tim Couch. The Men in . In the 1999 NFL Draft, a year in which five quarterbacks were drafted in the first round, Smith was the third quarterback and third player selected overall, by the Cincinnati Bengals. st martin high school basketball schedule, does rachel maddow have a daughter, cdc kf94 approved list,