Keep doing what you are doing . This is an awesome example of how great of a tool the prong collar can be under the right training. So yes, I agree, if used properly no issues, in the grand picture it gave her ultimate freedom in living her best dog life. Remove the prong collar entirely. Needless to say Shadow and I were able to participate in class and he wasnt the class clown he was in the first class. I can see how someone would see it as dangerous or harmful. They are not suitable for all dogs, and if used incorrectly, they can cause injury. She nearly pulled my partner off her feet in the first week. In an essay called "What is Positive Punishment in Dog Training?" Had him two years now he has also been attacked by other stray pitbulls. When we adopted our 95 lb lab, he had no leash manners at all. My personal stance? For her leash training she starts with a slip leash but if a dog is particularly difficult shell switch to the prong collar. When presented with alternative methods, many dog guardians are not only readily willing to discontinue the use of force, but relieved to do so. Thank you for this resource. My first dog was a female shepherd-mix rescue and I used a prong collar on her to amazing effect. I probably am going to get blisters all over my hands, I had to work so hard to keep him from pulling me. Hi.i have asweet female bullmastiffnamed VODKAPlease guide me when n which sized prong coller fits my VODKA? If not used properly, it can be cruel. Could you post a video or picture of what you are recommending to do? So glad you found a trainer to guide you! Good luck! Teacup puppies are incredibly trendy, because of their small size and cuteness. Many years ago, I had our dog and a foster dog go after another dog when it was icy out and I went flying down on my butt. I have yet to see a dog injured by normal use of a prong collar (of course I only use Herm as well. On walks, sometimes he pulls on leash, other times does not. A prong collar must be placed around a dog's neck in a specific manner to be safe and helpful for training purposes. I admit I have not tried them all. It is very helpful. The first of its kind, the flagship plan aims to ensure the UK is leading the way in animal welfare and includes a ban on the use of electric shock collars, a move which has been long-campaigned for by The Kennel Club. She chatted with me about the prong and said we could try it to see if it helped. It is amazing! Susan, thank you for sharing your story and I have a feeling this is going to change you and your dogs lives for the better! A jerk on the leash to suddenly, quickly restrict airflow as the teeth of the prong squeeze the neck, often misappropriated as a mommy bite Ill discuss that one another time) actually just reinforces the idea that they were right to be scared of the oncoming threat., Over time? Thank you, the bandana is a good idea. Kind regards. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. I dont think so. The United States is yet to follow. Whether or not a dog wearing an e-collar, prong collar, or shock collar is largely happy or living a good life, the reason these devices work is that they cause some degree of discomfort, pain, or distress (regardless of the level of intensity). Whilst I know that the potential for misuse is not a reason to call something bad, its mainly a method of training that I see no reason for.. But for corrections? A TWITCH influencer has stunned her fans and was temporarily banned from the platform after a terrifying video. Any advice would be appreciated. The collar is not designed to hurt the dog, but get the dogs attention. After our trainer introduced us to the prong collar walking with him is a joy. We found out that her dog, while on a choke collar, started pulling when he saw another dog across the street, so much so that his paws came off the ground. We're based in South Australia where purchasing a prong collar from outside Australia is illegal, however, it is not banned in some States, one of them being South Australia. If it werent for the prong collar, our super sweet 70+lb lapdog would not have been able to stay with us. He pulled his previous owner down their porch steps! With his prong collar, I barely even have to hold the leash. Good luck! Our dog seems calmer and more self-controlled and pays more attention than all the treats and tugs and words were able to do. On the other end of the spectrum, there are also dog trainers who are force-free and rewards-based who lack the education and knowledge base to be effective concerning choices of neck restraints. We pull out the prong collar and he come and sits patiently for us to put it on..hes excited knowing hes going for a walk. Check Latest Price. Keep up to date with the Rebarkable Newsletter! Sometimes they dont even know this is happening. She said doing this just makes the training go faster, which is helpful since she only has the dogs for a limited amount of time. However, I am afraid of breaking a wrist or worse; & I have some balance problems. The reason why I am so weary of collars is that when dogs pull they can cause a lot of damage. That would be my goal. It does not work by causing pain when used properly. this si my best buddy and my soul mutt and i am not going to give up on him, though both he and i need help! It is not allowed to permanently keep a dog in a box; only two hours per day at the most. As you go through the article, see if you can tell why theyre wrong. I really wish I had started using it early in his training program. I have only used the style that the prongs go all the way around the neck, so I cant speak of the effectiveness of the ones that dont. So glad you both can walk together and be happy! No matter what treats or happiness we used, she always found a way to push ahead and not pay attention to us at all. I love him to bits and am looking forward to enjoying our walks from now on. Meaning, they are walking well with no correction needed. If you find that its not working because of the lack of a neck try using a slip lead. I mean, afterall, if youve been using a tool for 30 years with your dogs (or even 3 months) you dont want to find out that youve been doing a bad thing, or that if youve been sucking it up and using a harness, you dont want to find theres potentially an easier option., So, I want to discuss one of those options for you now, so that you, my dear puppy parent, understand what youre looking at when assessing these options for you and your little pup. Unfortunately, Kodi is one of those dogs that take you for a walk and not the other way around.. so i am wanting to try a prong collar, he gets so over stimulated when we go for a walk its almost unbearable.. pulling, barking, hyper over the top behaviour. With the gentlest reminder, and no indication that she had felt anything at all, my dog turned straight back to me, looking happy and ready to take notice of me. It hasnt had any negative impact on his love or desire to go on walks. A Twitch star was temporarily banned from the live-streaming platform after zapping herself with a shock collar as part of a bizarre stunt. This can create a scenario in which, at best, a dog doesn't offer any behaviors due to fear, and at worst, a dog who becomes more reactive, worried, and overtly aggressive, leading to bites.". Woodrow doesnt mind it at all. My teenage daughter begged me to adopt a pitbull puppy. Like others have mentioned, Im sure the dog is not afraid of this collar if theyre running to you to put it on for a walk. There was never so much as an indent in his skin and I was able to easily control him for the first time. So, the time to start using it is whenever youve genuinely exhausted your options when youve tried the kinder methodology, youve tried a professional positive trainer, and youve gotten to a point where your dog cannot progress despite your dedication, patience and addressing all of the aspects of your dogs life that may be inhibiting their learning. Though she is a pretty good heeler without it I feel safer and feel like she is calmer with it on. The prong is simply a tool as if to tap the dogs shoulder to get her attention. Consult with Virginia from Olivers Travels dog training. Yes, the prong collar can cause damage, but so can a flat collar or harness. And ask yourself, is it better for your dog to drag you through your walk, choking himself on his flat collar or to have a peaceful walk with your dog walking next to you, enjoying the smells and scenery? Why do so many people choose to use various devices that make direct contact with a dog's neck and are known to inflict stress, discomfort, and pain, and potentially have long-term negative effects on dogs? The prong collar sounds just what we need. Granted, my training should have been better and more consistent, and Ill probably always blame myself for letting her get this bad when it could have been prevented but I gotta say, she is exhausting to walk! You need to correct the behavior at that point. She would get all excited to see me get it out and wait for me to put it on because it either meant going fir a walk or training which meant lots of one on one time with lots of praise and lovins. You can purchases extra links if you have an extra large dog (just make sure to get the right mm size for the collar you have). And Tom asked, "Why do so-called 'balanced trainers' get so cavalier about causing dogs harm? She is passionate about helping puppy parents get things right, right from the start. If you choose to use a restraining collar, why do you do so? Psychology Today 2023 Sussex Publishers, LLC. My 3 year old 70 lb pit bull has always been difficult and stubborn. Most of us have seen dogs straining so hard against their collar in their excitement to move forward that they can hardly breathe and sound a bit like Darth Vader. Right now. Another asked if perhaps dogs, because they read human faces, including angry faces, very well, might get a "bad feeling" from their human when they choose to use something that causes them pain. You can walk your dog around without a collar, harness, leash (please dont do it in public, there are laws in place) and they will listen to you every step of the way.. He pulled on his leash and barked aggressively at other dogs and people when using a standard flat collar. 4 years ago I would have never used it, until my dog trainer trained my dog on it. My dogs come running with excitement when they hear their prong collar come out. I still am learning, but it was a good long walk today, which is the whole reason I got a rescue dog.a walk partner, not a 'pull into the road' or 'drag into the ditch & through the woods' partner. There are many different types of dog harnesses. Like a child, I believe the structure it provides, is helping to build a better relationship. Numerous people who choose to share their lives with a dog also choose to use various types of collars, including electric shock collars (e-collars), choke collars, or prong collars that are connected to different sorts of leashes, both of which give people varying degrees of control over their canine companions. He clearly is afraid of the leash. At this point its stressful just trying to walk for basic excerise and needs. I support so much the keep working till you find something that actually works, and make sure you know how to use it before using it. But when I have he mostly responds positively if he responds. So I started on this years path of advice from experienced rescue owners, 1:1 sessions with a personal trainer ( But this got expensive and she made me feel like i was a big part of the problem by not being able to get over my anxieties when we walked by people, dogs etc) I know I have some work to do there and I am trying. I guess I am one of those 100% pure positive dog trainers and yes their is a more humane way to train the dog. By the way, the vet also said to only use the Herm Sprenger brand. Click here to read my full disclosure policy. it seems ugly and embarrassing. We adopted our 5-yr-old 18-lb floof in March, and at first she was coughing and choking all the time. Train with your brain, not with It was so bad before that I actually would dread having to take him for his walks and I loved him so much because he was a beautiful loving dog but he literally hurt me on his walks but after we tried the pronged collar and he walked so calmly and correctly I couldnt wait to take him on his walks. Wales, Scotland, Switzerland, Slovenia, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Slovenia, and some territories in Australia. P.s. Hes pretty good on walks but pulls to the point of choking himself. Im not finding anything in the ADA that says anything about these collars ( any collars for that matter). He came out of two regular collars so I get a herm sprenger. A good behavior trainer is best in situations like this. This is something that I will be sure to remember because Im planning to buy handmade dog prong collars for my dogs at home. Victoria, you and your pup are a perfect example on how the prong collar is such a life-saver! Knowing what you value will help you build the most meaningful life possible. The content in this post is a breath of fresh air. In addition to pulling, hed often suddenly and without notice, take off after a bird, a blowing leaf or just a mailbox post that looked appealing. After 3 weeks of work with our 11 month old, highly excitable rescue dog we saw his behavior getting worse and no amount of treats of any kind could get his attention any more. It also helps me correct her and keep her focused. For instance, our sweet River does so well with other dogs and people at the dog park, but once shes on the leash shes much more reactive. Results were immediate and wonderful with no signs of distress, only a few sounds of surprise. Oftentimes, breed is an excuse Oh, hes a German Shepherd, he needs a prong or hell be out of control well no thats not really true is it? However, the tool will work no matter where its been placed. Its practitioner-correlated.". Do not allow any pulling from now on. Tried the front clip harness but she would still pull so hard she would flip herself over and on to her side how does that not break ribs?! About 4 mths ago I enlisted the help of an amazing young woman who is a dog trainer and with her help my dogs behaviour on leash has improved 10 fold. He responds instantly better when a prong collar is put on him. Thousands of trainers and Id wager millions of owners train their dogseasy dogs and challenging dogsand manage their behavior without any of this stuff. I know Id be doing it for everyones safety, including theirs, and not as a way to punish my dog. The fact is, the prong collar, when fitted properly, is designed to be the most humane way to train and to NOT harm your dog. Does the prong collar hinder your relationship with your dog? I bought the collar at Petsmart. No matter how stubborn. Whilst Herm Sprenger advise that 5-6 months is the minimum? WebThank you for downloading the San Francisco SPCAs Prong Collar Advocacy Kit. Thank You!!! We then moved and tried a force free trainer. A TWITCH influencer has stunned her fans and was temporarily banned from the platform after a terrifying video. Required fields are marked. Note: I just received an interesting email asking if it's possible that some dogs hold grudges against their guardians and trainers who mistreat them with aversive collars and "other abusive training techniques." Although I am thinking I need to do a research project with every type of collar available on the market today! Oftentimes Prong collars are brandished around as the holy grail of owning a dog. And yes I do earn a small commission when someone purchases from one of the links on this page, this commission is tiny and doesnt cost you anything. (See "Is Your Dogs Collar Dangerous?") he wont make eye contact, has to be taken out of his kennel, has to be carried inside after be letting out to go to the bathroom, etc. We put on the collar and took my dog out into the waiting room, where there was actually another dog waiting. These collars have been the subject of controversy in recent years, with some people arguing that they are inhumane and should be banned, while others claim that they are an effective tool for training and managing a dog's behavior. As for the comment about it causing pain, no one has ever mentioned their dog cries out, winces in discomfort. Quebec will institute a ban on choke, prong, and shock collars in 2020. Because I adopted a 90 pound dog that, once he settled in, became seriously dog reactive in a city full of dogs that walk their owners and have no manners. I admit I was not paying full attention to him was conversing with a neighbor. BUT she does need help with socialization. 100% agree if they were hurting the dogs they would be yelping none stop when walking them. What have you got to lose? Should the collar only be used while walking? I spent a year night after night, hours in all weathers, trying thresholds etc to help our dog and while we saw improvement she was still had some reactivity issues. Oh! Thank you! Many thanks for your advice and recommendation. But for a stubborn dog, he may decide the pressure of the prong pulling on his next isnt enough to not go after the rabbit. Just last week, while at a local dog park, she saw a very social puppy who was running up to every strange human and dog she passed, excitedly soliciting attention, with a loose, exuberantly waggy body. So I would not recommend the prong in your scenario. Then, when they do something right, or are questioning themselves, the fact you dont pop the leash means that they get a rush of relief. It does not lend them any credibility. I do worry about what other people think, even though I shouldnt. And if your trainer tells you that this is not the case, then theyre not a trainer you should be working with. The kennel I work at is very much 50% training, 50% the tools you use. Got a wonderful lab mix last summer; believe he's never been trained or on a leash. I do agree positive reinforcement is key in fear based cases. Try this post, and if you need more help? Humanely training your dog as with children should be a personal choice not one dictated by supposed do gooders and government policies Thanks for your free download I look forward to reading it and sharing! I didnt outweigh him by much. As in all different sorts of dog-human interactions, what's good for the human must be good for the dog. I had it too low on the neck and much too loose. I personally would not recommend using a prong on a puppy younger than 5 or 6 months old. The prong collar is not punishment or pain. I was overjoyed when I was handed the leash and he did so for me as well!! The dog will be much happier in fact. Shes a 27-ish pound mutt, stocky and short-legged, and still pulls even after working on training and walking her for 4 years, weve had her since she was a pup. Ive heard about this collar from a Whoodle group Im in but am concerned that I wont use it properly and will hurt her. Its a large part of what drove me to write this blog post was because people are using these tools and are not actually looking at the whole page, reading all the information and are consequently making poorly informed decisions., Or, theyre making their decision based on the word of a trainer who is practicing with outdated techniques which is a really easy mistake to make.. But yesterday I had to take my dog, an 8 year old 84lb rottweiler, to the vet. He is a pretty stubborn dog (my understanding is that the breed tends to be that way). And thank you for all you do. My dog like to take off after rabbits . Leashes restrict dogs' ability to have control of their lives and to make choices. Thank you for most educational article on pinch collar. Im so glad you were able to keep your dog! Slip leads and choke collars can do the same and cut off air supply. _____. Do not be afraid to try a prong collar. The positive training methods consist of a verbal correction, which leads to a treat (definitely food motivated dog). That means that you have failed in training your dog and have taken a shortcut instead of learning to understand and work with your dog., I mean zookeepers train tigers. Shelby, I love your story! Were hoping its a temporary training tool only, but Im still happy to have found this. Once your dog proper leash etiquette with the prong collar do you have to use it from here on out? Immediately Im an abuser, bla bla bla. Nothing worked until I found this site and started using a prong collar. Came to me weighing 43lbs, greatly malnourished (the rescue had fixed all the medical issues and had to adopt him out, so not complaining) since then, he is well nourished at 68 lbs.still pulls like a fiend sometimes. I want to be able to enjoy walking him not only within the neighborhood but along trails this summer. Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Norway, Slovenia, Scotland, Sweden, Wales, and some parts of Australia all currently have a ban on electronic collars for dogs. After our outing I realized how overwhelmed he still gets with new scents and experiences. The prong collar is not meant to instill fear. According to a review article published by Gal Ziv, are better for both human and dog is overwhelming. Toronto (Canada) attempted a ban on prong and choke collars, and it passed, but was then turned over within the next month. I recommend the 3.0 mm size for most medium to large dogs. At the moment, different regions are working We finished the class and we both learned so much from it. I know that I could have accomplished this with positive reinforcement but it would have taken me another year and based on his size I did not have the luxury of time. We are taking it really, really slowly and not forcing her to go anywhere for the walk as far as she is comfortable and I try to avoid triggers but its still stressful for her and I want her to feel more confident. These countries include Austria, Denmark, Germany, Slovenia, Switzerland, and parts of Australia. He would drag me all over. Where are prong collars banned? We put it on her and it was like she was a different dog I could take her anywhere . The woman left her choke collar at the vet clinic and took with her a donated harness. Now, at age 6 it doesnt seem to be as effective. This puppy's social behavior was a gift! I have used a prong collar to walk my German shepherd and it has been a blessing. Because you deserve information that is clear, truthful and backed by science or the information of the manufacturer., Finding the best method for both you and your dog is really important, so I must discuss it., Im going to discuss what they are, how they work, why they work. Decide which equipment you would like your dog to walk on, and grab a double ended leash, like a halti training leash, and clip the prong to one end of the leash, and the harness or collar to the other., As your need for corrections lessen, allow the balance of the leash to lean towards the harness, and away from the prong.. Many civilized countries have outlawed prong collars, recognizing the harm they can do! And, while it's very clear that e-collars and prong collars are used because they cause psychological stress and pain, many people don't realize that choke collars also can cause a good deal of pain, suffering, and injury to dogs who wear them. The prong collar is a life saving tool for many dog owners. ID tags should not be put on a prong collar, and your dog should not be left in one for long periods of time. There is no negative association for the dogs, and weve even been lucky and not have any people give us looks or comments on their collars either. WebPinch and prong collars are collars with prongs positioned against the neck, or any other protrusion intended to cause pain or discomfort, especially when tightened. Walking on a leash is not a natural behavior for a dog, and indeed it goes against their natural instincts to run and explore. I have used one with a boxer, a half rottweiler/half lab, and a half boston terrier/half lab. Consider the woman about whom Mary wrote who chose to leave her choke collar at the veterinary clinic after her dog suffered from a prolapsed eye. Shadow was a big big dog, who loved everyone and everything. Your comments are spot on that trainers are obsessively against this collar so fear there will be no where for me to go to get training if I were to purchase. Physical Damage Choke and Prong Collars: Health Concerns Call for Equipment Change in Dog Training Im stating it like this so its super obvious for any trainer coming into this piece to know my stance, this caveat is not necessarily for you, my dear new puppy parent, but I have a commitment to my training methodology and need to openly state this.For reasons explained below, I am not a fan of prong collars, however, in order to give a view into why, this piece is needed. Very good training tool. I can walk him with a regular collar now, but not when he gets 150 pounds. This is the information I'l looking for also. We dog sat for a friends dog last week that has no leash manners, and the way he pulled on his flat collar scared me! Jennifer Cattet, "Choke collars, prong collars or flat collars are harmful training tools. Lauren, thank you so much for sharing your story. I have walked him w/ the prong collar here at home several times since our session and he is not pulling or lunging. Its a tool that I believe, like headcollars, people use as a shortcut in their training. And if you genuinely feel like thats the case? I so hate to see good, effective training tools totally demonized. I have won over a few of my clients here in Monaco & France re. Lately, I am getting hounded on social media about responding to a post saying it was a great tool for training. We just started with a trainer for our 16wk Lab/Shepherd puppy that uses the Herm S prong collar. I am with a training group right now, not training with them at present. Thank you for telling your story Melanie. Get the help you need from a therapist near youa FREE service from Psychology Today. Youll never know whose life youve saved. I can walk right past other dogs and people and he looks at them and keeps in stride with my pace. We tried for 3 weeks to loose leash train w/ the Easy Walk harness employing techniques learned w/ our last dog Jacksons dog coach. In the end, I realize the prong collar is very controversial, but please do not bash it unless youve had experience with a dog that pulls so hard you can not walk him. My only complaint is that it is a bit of a bitch to put on and take off. Truth is she was the best dog I could have ever had the privilege of rescuing. Or will we always have to use the prong collar? Thats not how the tool works and thats not the humane way to go about it. My dogs get excited when they see the prong collars come out, it means they are going for a walk and cant wait to get the collar on! However when it comes to walking on a lease he is a puller and aggressive. You can do it with patience and guidance.. Like really easily. How Psychologically Conditioned Rats Are Defusing Landmines, The Innate Intelligence Observed in the Dying Process. I finally bought a Herm Sprenger collar and it was moderately helpful. Period. My advice would be to give it a try w/ a professionals guidance to see if it could solve your dogs leash pulling habit. Right this instant. Boy was he difficult to walk though. So I will be finally , not without some reservations , be trying your collar, at least i feel that when walking the dogs , they will know when to stop yanking, rather than me pulling or yanking on them for control. We rescued our pit-lab mix as a puppy and underwent training with him for eight weeks, then again when he was a year old and even had the trainer come to our home to work on specific issues. I was going to buy a front clip harness (for more control as she is either following her nose without listening to me or tries to run away from scary things) but after reading your article Im wondering if a prong collar would be better?. Filter by 1 Inch Custom Hidden Prong Embroidered Collar $0.00. Among Scandinavian countries , Sweden bans e collars. There are many other options to try before using a prong. Its all a matter of dog and what the owner is comfortable with! We rescued a super sweet lab mix from down south a few months ago. For this reason, more and more trainers and veterinarians are recommending that a dog be walked or run on a chest harness. For example, shock collars, sometimes called e-collars or electronic collars, are banned in the United Kingdom, but they are legal in the United States. I knew that if we kept at it, eventually the dogs would figure it out and be better behaved, but the fear of losing our pups made me feel we didnt have the time to be patient. I follow Jeff Bellman and Skype with him occasionally and love his transparency & honesty about the training tools he uses. For my willful, hard-headed, inattentive Doberman yearling, thats definitely a prong collar for training sessions now. Contacted another balanced trainer and he recommended a prong. The state government will introduce legislation into parliament to end the use of pronged dog collars, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced on Sunday. I have seen all of those injuries in dogs, and I experimented with many of those tools before I tried the prong. Many civilized countries have outlawed prong collars, recognizing the harm they can do! She seems not herself when she has it on in the house during the day do not want her sweet personality to go away with using this collar. 2. No. Im a dog walker and deal with a lot of dogs of varying size, strength, and leash training.