In recent years it has seen major improvements with the building of Glasgow Science Centre and the Glasgow Arc, better known as the Squinty Bridge. Delete. Nobody like them in the World. It was absolutely awesome growing up in Govan, lots of shops, such as; Galbraiths, Dands Bobby's, David's butchers, BrotherSoft paper shop, modern book shop, and Woolworths, we had a great wee doctors surgery on Langlands Road, Peacocks bakery, Nicholls store and Amey's cafe. Would love to hear from you. A list of almost 3000 ships built at Govan has been collected in the "Clydebuilt Database". Forgotten account? We loved it there and had best times growing up in Govan, a great wee community and a great bunch of people, neighbours were great and we had lots of great friends to play with. These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience the local community. Curtis Govan, 23, was convicted in July of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, aggravated indecent assault, terroristic threats, unlawful restraint, simple assault, resisting arrest,. 199310 Scottish Charity No. Many memories but top must be winning Whitefield Cup with Under 13s against Lourdes in 1962 by 7-6. There was another pub next door, The Bellrock. I remember that when he told me that he had studied at university and that what he was now doing was his job I laughed at his education and his job. 6 Markus, 1993, p. 163 We all went to Harmony Row school because that was where our mother went and she wanted us to have the same teachers she had, and there were a few left from when she attended there. JEFF TORRINGTON Singing: No, No, Yuppie, Yuppie NO! 8 Markus, 1993, p. 163 If either cop was caught then they were on a hiding to nothing. As the rate of urbanisation has increased in the last 30 years, the government capacity to support the disadvantaged within this sphere has in many cases failed. Above is a quote from a seasoned Timfrom the unfairly labelled Wine Alley (Moorpark) area, once of greater Govan, just off Broomloan Road. Poor Man, he said to my Mother, "the way she's trying to kick me I think her hips are fine". Its cells were just as grim but did not seem to deter the many local villains who frequented them on a regular basis. Used to have a friend called Theresa Moody who died quite young. It was later in 1974 that she began her Stairhead Seminars in the so-called "Wine Alley" area of Govan which led, in 1976, to the Govan Project. I was born in Broomloan Road by the pot heid (TSB) bank which is still there. Amenities, Comfort & Cleanliness 4/4. Men and Boys by Hugh Cavanagh. Also used to go for a bath there even though we had a bath at home. [10][11], The area was associated with Junior football team St Anthony's who had two grounds in the area. Fond memories include falling in the Elder Park pond and breaking my collar bone, trying to do the fish and chips, building gang huts in the air-raid shelters and raking the middens. Playing out in the street with our whip and peeries my sisters and friends would have contests to see who could chalk their peerie with the best colour design. I went to Greenfield then Govan High left school in 1975 and worked in Govan shipyard canteen my mates wee Calum McLean, Brian Lavoury, Billy Cameron, Tam Reid, Jim Reynolds and Stephen Gourley now living in England. By the 1860s, the village needed a higher order of administration and it was made a burgh in 1864, under the General Police (Scotland) Act 1862. My husband also comes from Govan. However, in 1989 the same area was one of the most crime-ridden and deprived in Scotland. It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times. Fixed: Release in which this issue/RFE has been fixed.The release containing this fix may be available for download as an Early Access Release or a General Availability Release. [8] Govan is Baile a' Ghobhainn (the smith's town) in Scottish Gaelic. I would like to know if anyone remembers these times. Govan was the site of a ford and later a ferry which linked the area with Partick for seasonal cattle drovers. No1seems2care. My da was George Paterson, mum was Betty Paterson my child hood there was brill everyone was so friendly and you could trust everybody. I now live in Scotstoun but attend same dentist at Water Row Govan! I was born and lived in Harmony Row, 1960, before moving to Drumchapel in 1961. The two men, working for up to 18 hours at a time, had to be smuggled out before dawn each day. 'Wine Alley', Govan Pop: 10,875 (whole ward) Problems: Mainly drug-related crime. Finalists in the Intermediate Cup 1929-30, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Moorepark,_Glasgow&oldid=1142353497, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 1 March 2023, at 23:16. If I could I would have bought many! Co. Ltd., Alexander Stephens & Sons, J & G Thomson, Harland & Wolff and more. My mother, Elsie Walker lived with siblings; Edward, Betty, Beatrice and Edith in Belch Street, it was a small street with only one close and not one single Govan person I have ever met can remember it! The most famous of these housing estates is Moorepark, sometimes referred to jocularly as "The Wine Alley"[22] - this area was named by The Independent newspaper in April 1994 as one of the worst areas in Britain, with drug abuse being a widespread problem and unemployment standing at nearly 30% (up to three times the national average at the time). It was a beautiful building and I would have thought that the powers that be could have used it for something. We may then apply our discretion under the user terms to amend or delete comments. the 550 tenancies available, only 33 (16%) were identifiably from Govan itself. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can Within 10 years, Glasgow Corporations repair and maintenance service to the area had declined noticeably because the Corporation was simply not interested. I was shown the door and advised to join the cubs, which I did, but I would have enjoyed being the 1st Lifebhoy. In 1855, an elaborately carved sandstone sarcophagus was found during digging in the churchyard. Henry (Harry) Knop was born in Govan in 1902, he married Susan Bowie in 1924, they had at least 5 children; Harriet, Frederick, Arthur, Helen and Henry, Harry Knop died in 1976. USA. I guess I drifted away from Govan for some time although I watched it contract as the shipyard industry faded and that was until my interest was aroused as the company I was working for took up new premisis near the Southern General as it was then. We would also put on a concert in one of the vacant stores that Helen's brother and his wife had access to, the women would make hot peas and vinegar and listen to us all singing and dancing out of sync, but what memories, what sheer fun, I wouldn't trade it for the world today. I remember the baths and went there every Friday, I also remember playing in the street and when the coalman came my mum and I would follow him with a pram and pick up any coal that fell of the lorry. Darners second criticism was that the Tenants Association in the scheme had no local leadership or community say over who came into the scheme. I was born and raised at 976 Govan road and remember concerts we used to have round the back for the neighbours and we would make costumes out of crepe paper and sing songs like" oh you beautiful doll you great big beautiful doll". Yes Danny, Hamilton Street was renamed to Nethan Street between 1931 and 1932. Furthermore, although the new regeneration programme mentions housing quality and physical improvements as valid points in deprived locals, they are still regarded as unessential to regeneration. Three times during my young life I was sent away to residential schools for being undernourished while just before my 14th birthday I was put away in an approved school (in 1963) for a large number of burglaries. I lived at 2 Luath Street in Govan with my Mum and Dad - Cathie and Ronnie Johnston. As I recall they sold very trendy tops marketed as Trendy. Glorious Govan. Then there was the shake the blanket with my older sisters and friends my turn wasn't coming fast enough so as usual I was whining so they gave me my turn and shake the blanket shake the blanket 1-2-3 they lifted me in the air and let the blanket go results bleeding nose and they all got a right telling off. Lived in Georgia where our second daughter was born, and then onto Texas, and now living in California. Yet, there is still much to show that community power is not only real but can work effectively. Lived there all the way through the 70's until we moved to Cardonald in 1980. The local hire firm in Govan wasn't aware that their customer was a drug dealer. Looking at Govan when it was a village, and film of how it grew into a town, we felt very proud of being born and raised in dear auld Govan. The planning process commonly involves the juggling of conflicting interests in such a fashion that it is agreeable to all interested parties at least, no one side has to sacrifice itself unjustly. We engraved pet medallions and Jackie let me do it because I had nice handwriting. Editors' Code of Practice. I am looking for the name of a barbers shop that was on Langlands Road at Helen street end. I screamed blue murder, he wanted to pull my pants down, but no way I letting him do that to me. They were, however, very much a part of the physical landscape that became Renfrewshire. Nothing but grateful for my early Govan years. Any way they started to ask us our schools and of course my mates answered Broomloan Rd, Bellahouston and Lorne St, but when it came my turn my truthful answer was Our Lady and St Margaret's Primary just up the road from here. Pauline Belkadi: Thanks for the name of the shop 'Bobby's'. I found this site by mistake while i was trying to find people that i used to hang around with in Govan, I lived in Rathlin Street, opposite the Elder picture house, my mum and dad were Mary and Eddie Mellon and brothers Paul and Ward. Vytvori nov et. It seemed a dangerous idea but worth the risk if they could dent a hole in a major heroin dealing operation. This was a very hard job physically where we would carry a wicker basket (full of ashes, etc.) I went to Harmony Row school and below is my class photograph from around 1957, I have given the names as far as I remember starting at the back row left. See more of Sunny Govan Memories on Facebook. Govan was a wonderful place to start on life's trails. We sold puppies, kittens, mice, fish and I promise you, they were cleaned and cared for with the tenderest of love and care, and caution was exerted when people tried to buy them. He had a kilt on and a curly walking stick. He thought that important questions are never asked because mistakes in the finish of the whole are not seen until it is too late. First, if the government are to tackle inequality and the centring of disadvantaged groups, then they will have to understand that it is the housing system itself that creates it. Classification Housing Estate (Modern) Alternative Name (s) Moorpark Housing Estate; 'wine Alley'. I attended Harmony Row School and Hills Trust Primary. 178 9 shares Like Most relevant Denise Mcdonald Many happy memories there in the late 80s and early 90s . I was born in the Southern General Hospital in 1958 and lived at 23 McGregor Street, Chookiehill [Teucharhill] as it was fondly called then. I was born and brought up in Drumoyne. Listing details information provided by Stephen Redding. [27], In 1971, Upper Clyde Shipbuilders went into receivership and the Conservative government led by Edward Heath refused to give them a 6,000,000 loan. We used to listen to all the records being played from Munleys on a Saturday morning. He wanted to discover how and why such places came into being and to see if remedies could be found. Police enter in twos with another car on standby. Posted on Behalf of Mags Monaghan The "Wine Alley" housing scheme, just off the Broomloan Road, was notorious in Govan and elsewhere in Glasgow as a den of thieves, drunks and drug addicts. Almost went to St Anthony's primary. Built in the early 1930s by the 1970s the Wine Ally had developed a fearsome reputation, the council \"modernised\" it and tried to reintroduce the original name Moorepark but after 40 years of being the Wine Alley most people forgot about or even knew that the Wine Ally was originally called Moorepark and did not approve of the name Moorepark and continued to call it Wine Alley. 102m The Govan Shed . I spent a lot of time at my granny's while growing up I remember we used to get payed for watching the cars when there was a game on at Ibrox. For Margaret Gibson - I saw that you lived in Kintra Street until 1960 and wondered if you knew my grandmother Mary McGill/Johnston who lived at 110 Kintra Street in 1956. Portrait of a Lady by Esme Clark. They were both always on a mission to land a. Govan borders the district of Ibrox, home to the Scottish football club Rangers F.C. They suggested that the hill may have been a 12th-century Norman motte. We lived in Linthouse at that time, and then we moved to Shaw Street in Govan. I married in Glasgow, Scotland in 1974 and emigrated to Canada that same year, I have lived in Canada ever since. Next thing I know, this policeman appeared, he looked like a giant and he asked me what was I doing. Moorepark is a small area in the Scottish city of Glasgow. I used to go to Jack's Bakers on a Saturday morning for a dozen rolls and half a dozen teabread and I still got change from a half a crown (12.5 pence), happy days! Other Sundays maybe Helen and I would visit the graves of our mothers at Cardonald Cemetery (her mother died when she was 5). The writer on housing problems, T. A. Markus, wondered why many important questions were never asked in the planning process. Not Now. The locals in Govan fear that gentrification is making its way in, in the face of community objections.15 inaccuracy or intrusion, then please A Victor Harbor businessman is forging ahead with bold plans for a $350m marina, apartment, hotel and convention centre project near The Bluff, despite the local council opposing major development . [31], In 1999, GEC's Marconi Marine division purchased the yard when Kvrner announced its departure from the shipbuilding industry. Govan has had several local newspapers over the years such as the Govan Chronicle and Govan Press published by the Cossar Family (1851-1983) and by John Maclean (20062014) which also served the communities of Kinning Park, Cardonald, Penilee and Hillington, and the Govan Post (19831988) published by Cook, Paton & Co. of Paisley, now part of Dunfermline Press. My Mother took me to the Southern and a giant black man came in. Would love to get in touch with any old pals for the era 1965-1976. My Aunt and Uncle Kathleen and Tommy Blacker lived in 6 Rathlin Street, Govan. [14] in 1901 the Burgh boundaries increased further west to include Linthouse and West Drumoyne. They also told police that the same man would rent out a larger car about once a month. As for our childhood and growing up in Govan we would never change a thing, there was everything in Govan any child wanted and we never ever suffered from boredom after school, we were outside playing peever, rounders, climbing dykes, swimming at the pool and rolling our Easter eggs down the hill at Bellahouston Park. Related Pages. I was born at 61 Greenfield street in 1957 we lived above the dairy and I remember the betting shop. Before leaving the area in 1975, Damer sent in his report on Moorepark to the Housing Manager of the Corporation of Glasgow where he attacked the Corporation for failing to do its job in managing and maintaining both the houses and the environment in Moorepark. In 1973 SNP won a by-election with Margo MacDonald as their candidate. British Shipbuilders road to privatisation was not as swift, and the group was sold piece by piece throughout the course of the 1980s. The School that was situated at the end of Cowie Street was the "Wee Lamby" or Lambhill Junior Primary. A big gang of kids would all go to the pictures on Saturday afternoon and one kid would pay to get in and then would go round to the fire escape door and open it and let the rest of the kids in for free. Create New Account. Now offering wine & beer by the glass! Data returned from the Piano 'meterActive/meterExpired' callback event. Govan railway station opened on 2 December 1868. I think he lived in Partick and had 2 little girls. He wanted to discover how and why such places came into being and to see if remedies could be found. We are the Eskimoes. Lots of memories too many to say here. Providing a family base with a family room in Govan, with weekly meetings in Govan and Easterhouse Providing consistent, non-judgmental support to families and individuals, and home visits to families in crisis It would also mean long hours of up to 18 hours day in unpleasant conditions. The idea behind the hotel was to employ local people and to draw in money to the area. I'll do a bit of investigating. It was massive and as a wee girl it was magical, as well as Dands I also remember Bobbys on Langlands Rd, I got my Bay City Rollers trousers there, lol, there was loads of shoe shops in Govan, one was called Cherries I'm sure, also a massive one can't remember name, just round from Burleigh St, a few years back it was Bradley's chemist. Worst of all were the problems relating to the 759 flats and maisonettes in the Hutchestown Area E phase at Crown Street. I was a deckhand on the TSS Shleldhall sewage ship that sailed down the Clyde every day Monday to Friday to the tail of the bank, there we discharged the load then made a circle before heading back up home. Vine Alley Bistro 13 reviews Claimed Wine Bars, Wine Tasting Classes Edit Closed 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM Hours updated 2 months ago See hours See all 31 photos Write a review Add photo Location & Hours 114 Market St Gaithersburg, MD 20878 Get directions Edit business info You Might Also Consider Sponsored iRock Karaoke Lounge 141 I recall going to the Co-op hypermarket on a Saturday morning for messages. We didn't have an inside toilet but had to use one on the landing which served two other families. Went to the new Hills Trust School in about 1975 where Mrs Carnegie was head teacher. Old Photographs Govan Glasgow Scotland tourscotland 31K subscribers 111 27K views 5 years ago Tour Scotland wee video of old photographs of Govan, Glasgow, on the south bank of the River Clyde,. Great times. It is situated 2.5 miles (4.0km) west of Glasgow city centre, on the south bank of the River Clyde, opposite the mouth of the River Kelvin and the district of Partick. 124m Freshair Salon . Vezi mai multe de la Sunny Govan Memories pe Facebook. At the time, it was the fifth largest burgh in Scotland and contained within its boundaries, the areas of Plantation, Cessnock, Ibrox, Craigton and Drumoyne. It meant that the police had two key surveillance points, one in Wine Alley itself and a second from the high-rise. Komunitn organizcia. Jackson had only just taken charge of the CID at Govan, having left his post as head of Strathclyde Polices serious crime squad. It was very hard during the war for our mother as our brother was three years older and our father was a shipyard worker, working nightshift. The newlyweds got engaged in April 2018 after dating for three years and were forced to delay their wedding last April due to the coronavirus pandemic. I was born Jan 6th 1951 and brought up in flat above Co-op in Helen Street at Govan Cross, I Went to Harmony Row and Hills Trust Primary schools before moving to Pollok when I was 10 .I have 4 brothers Dave, Bobby, Shuggie, all born in Govan ..and Alastair born in Pollok. Around 1963 we moved to Arden where I went St Louise Primary School. Get directions. They were followed there and back by a second surveillance team and the vehicle stopped near Ibrox. "And so for the time being I have finished this series (4th book comming this year) what an amazing book I especially loved the mention of the wine alley in govan as that's where my mama is from! Pagini similare. Once the area had gained a bad reputation (through no fault of its own), this was picked up by Govans local newspaper, The Govan Press, who furthered the image in a relentlessly aggressive campaign against the inhabitants until even the authorities began to believe it too. At the end of his stay in the housing scheme Damer wrote a report on the area entitled From Moorepark to Wine Alley in what was a damning indictment of officialdom for its arrogant neglect of Moorepark and the people who lived there. The Wine Alley is a boutique wine shop specializing in fine wines from the Pacific NW and Around the world! Show More . I remember on Sunday mornings being taken with my sister, Elizabeth, on a No. Community service. A great place to live. Recent studies of the archaeology of Govan Old have revealed the presence of an ancient Christian church. Govan (/vn/ GUV-n; Cumbric? There were two other sporting venues for local residents and workers located in the south of Govan (with no space available in the industrial northern area at the Clyde): White City Stadium and Albion Greyhound Stadium, both now entirely demolished. Rather than go on strike, which was the traditional form of industrial action, the union leadership of the yards decided to have a work-in and complete the orders that the shipyards had in place. He also sold single woodbine cigarettes out the packet. He said be a good girl, I don't want to see you when you're 17 causing problems. I used to visit your Mum and Dad. The huge shoe shop was, I think Bayne and Ducketts. This article is about the district in Glasgow. Related Pages. My Granny, Cassie Donaghey stayed at 9 Orkney Street, Govan where I went at weekends and for holidays (Yeah from Drumchapel). The Old Govan Fair. Does anyone remember going out the back courts and jumping over them? I was born in 1950 and brought up in Govan in the Moorepark housing estate or the Wine Alley, as it was commonly known. Laurel Brook. By the early 80s, much of the place had acquired an air of dilapidation and neglect. I remember living in a single end tenement (1950's) at 77 Nethan Street and the excitement on a Saturday morning when the man delivered the coal in our bunker which was right next to our bed. Wine Alley was in a part of Govan which is "pretty much gone now but it was notorious," he described. There is a story By Danny Cahley born In 57 Hamilton Street, Govan it was renamed Nethan Street if I remember correctly. My sister and I were born the year before the second world war at Montrose nursing home in Govan. who until March 2014 played at Tinto Park (Drumoyne) then moved to the adjacent New Tinto Park. Hi Catherine, I also lived at 100 Harmony Row and also live in Canada. I'm sure many of these places will have been demolished or renamed but it would be great to hear from anyone who knows of the family or can provide any more details. In sum, effective participatory urban management calls for a fundamental rethink from all the players involved, from the local authorities and development agencies, through local (and sometimes international) non-governmental organisations, to the community-based organisations themselve; in redefining their roles and relationships, if something is to be done for the benefit of all. We used to prick our fingers to drop blood into the fish tank where the (goldfish-sized) piranhas were and watch them converge on the blood. Govan covers a huge part of Glasgow's Southside and is famous the world over for its ship building and football team. NGR NS 55416 65081. (was it Grant's????? Maureen Doyle was my name then. Providing activities for member children and young people Providing informal and formal training for family members Does anybody recognise the name? In fact, the idea was publicly abused in the first of the two SEU documents above. My grandparents on my mother's side were McElhinneys and attended Plantation Church while my dad's side and myself attending our Lady and St Margaret's Chapel. Wine Alley, the newest wine tasting experience to open at Woodin Creek Village in Woodinville, WA, debuted with a ribbon cutting ceremony and grand opening event on February 18, 2022. 15 Saturday Home, 2005, p. 20 16Vindicated1, 2005, p. 1-2, Acknowledgements Unresolved: Release in which this issue/RFE will be addressed. There was a milk depot (Cuthbertson's Dairy) at the bottom of the street where we used to go and if we were lucky they would let us feed the horses, those were the days, how I loved going to the Plaza every Saturday morning to the ABC minors and when it was our birthday we got to go up on the stage and everyone sang to us. This settlement was set aside on 20 December 1621, and only the patronage of Govan was left to the University. Saturday afternoons were for the matinees at one of the four movie halls; Lyceum, Plaza, Elder and Vogue. My Gran Haggerty lived in 3 Helen Street Govan (above the CO OP). Many of the latter were too poor, ignorant and disorganised to remedy the situation themselves, and so the earliest community planners or social agencies necessarily undertook the first initiatives for planning and providing for people. [4] In 1864, Govan gained burgh status, and was the fifth-largest burgh in Scotland. I lived at 2 Robert street, Govan, we moved there from Tower Street, Kinning Park, I went to Harmony Row school (1959/60) then moved up to Hills Trust primary and after that went to Broomloan Road secondary school, that was shut down and we were moved to Govan High comprehensive around 1967/1968. Jocelyn Square. Following the five convictions, the man who led the investigation, detective superintendent Joe Jackson, received several letters from grateful Wine Alley residents. Hi, I'm not from Govan though my grandparents, Janet (Nettie) and David Finlayson owned a newsagents in Neptune Street in the 1940s/1950s. Just answering Margaret Fletcher's post below. Someone took me to the Orkney Street Police Station. Interest. It brought tears to our eyes as they have destroyed a lot of the buildings that should have been refurbished. We would have concerts and the money raised would organise a trip to the seaside for the kids of the area. Every month her and neighbours would make tablet, cakes, scones and stuff. Sad to see Govan now but many happy memories. Moore Park (Glasgow University Library, Special Collections, Dougan Collection, 1870), OS 25 inch Scotland, 1892-1905 (Moore Park), "Glasgow, Govan, Moorepark Housing Estate", Gender and Political Identities in Scotland, 1919-1939, Ian Jack: Problem Families (review of 'From Moorepark to Wine Alley: The Rise and Fall of a Glasgow Housing Scheme' by Sean Damer), Debate: Housing and Local Government (Scotland), Poverty, deprivation and development in working class communities, Photo of Benburb F.C. , st charles high school prom 2021, sunset hills country club edwardsville membership fee,