Leon Russell Wilkeson[1] (April 2, 1952 July 27, 2001) was the bassist of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1972 until his death in 2001. You may not upload any more photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 30 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 15 photos to this memorial. Close this window, and upload the photo(s) again. Leon is my favorite Bassist in all of rock and roll! The clip below of Leonsinging backstage may be a rare solo moment for him, but as it turns out, Skynyrd fans have been listeningto his voice all along. cemeteries found within kilometers of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. He was 49 at the time of his death. Wilkeson can be seen playing this bass in a 1975 Lynyrd Skynyrd performance on the British TV series The Old Grey Whistle Test. Known for his outlandish hats, Leon Wilkeson survived the plane crash in 1977 that killed band memebers Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and singer Cassie Gaines. Since Leon was known for wearing crazy hats on stage, Skynyrd dedicated a song called "Mad Hatter" to him on their 2003 album, Vicious Cycle, the first album released after his death. Your new password must contain one or more uppercase and lowercase letters, and one or more numbers or special characters. Use Escape keyboard button or the Close button to close the carousel. Add to your scrapbook. Was known for his many outrageous hats. The words Fender, Telecaster, Stratocaster and the associated headstock designs are registered trademarks of the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. I saw LS back in the early 70S when they were touring just prior to Second Helping. He was 49. He was 49. Leon has always ripped very tasty basslines, and is someone I frequently consider a filter, as in "Would Leon play it that way?" [1] Soon Wilkeson found himself in another local group, the King James Version. However, due to plummeting school grades, Wilkeson had to drop out of the group. Last summer I was forced to leave the Road from touring with a Band that had been like family to me for 33 years because of the medication I had to take made me sick, and not good for the hard life that traveling on the road requires.. Other close friend's besides Leon Wikeson have recently died of Hep C so it forced me to leave the road , I resume treatments at the Cleveland Clinic Leaving few options under short notice but to sell the vast collection of LYNYRD SKYNYRD memorabilia saved from the last 33 years. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Myhemmin hn sai viel lempinimen "Cat In The Hat", kun hn oli selvinnyt . Remove advertising from a memorial by sponsoring it for just $5. Dean was the fourth roadie ever hired. You have chosen this person to be their own family member. Drag images here or select from your computer for Leon Wilkeson memorial. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. Leon Russell Wilkeson. Rock Songs That Are Loved For Their Live Versions, Peter Gabriel Shares New Mix of New Song The Court, Stevie Nicks Featured On New Gorillaz Track, Paul McCartney Is Going To Be On The New Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull Release New Song The Navigators. Leon Wilkeson was born on April 2, 1952 and died on July 27, 2001. Leon Russell Wilkeson April 2nd 1952 July 27th 2001. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; With its outlaw/party-hearty image, tough Southern rock and solid touring, Skynyrd quickly became one of the top bands of the 1970s, scoring such hit albums as 1974s Second Helping, 1975s Nuthin Fancy, 1976s Gimme Back My Bullets and One More from the Road, plus 1977s Street Survivors and such hit singles as Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama. It was also during this classic era that Wilkeson picked up the gimmick of wearing colorful hats onstage, garnering the nickname Mad Hatter.. Former bassist for Lynyrd Skynyrd . It was also during this time that Wilkeson picked up the gimmick of wearing colorful hats onstage, garnering the nickname "Mad Hatter." [1] Her brother turned out to be Ronnie Van Zant, and soon after, Wilkeson signed on with Van Zant's group, the Collegiates. was born on April 2nd 1952 in Newport, Rhode Island, but raised in Jacksonville, Florida. To view a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo to open the photo viewer. He continued his career, nonetheless, holding the bass chair in his bandmates two terrific post LS ensembles; Rossington-Collins, and later The Alan Collins Band until Skynyrd reconvened with Johnny Van Zant as vocalist. Search above to list available cemeteries. When he nailed the Skynyrd gig, a job which he held for life, Wilkeson got cold feet and sat out the bands debut platter, Rossington-Collins Band Dont Misunderstand Me. Singer Johnny Van Zant hails Wilkeson for the practical jokes the band would miss, for his fighters spirit that saw him survive the plane crash in 1977 and get back to playing music, and for his unique, incredibly kind heart that friends and family say would prompt the bass player to literally give you the shirt off his back. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. Wilkeson managed to record bass parts for the 1979 album Contraband by Jacksonville band "Alias". (Photographer of all photos on this page: Arlene Muzyka) . Lynyrd Skynyrd is hitting the road one last time and coming to a city near you dont miss your chance to say goodbye! Never thought I would sell some of these items but really no other reasonable ideas. 75.119.195.81 Your Scrapbook is currently empty. LEON STAYED AT MY HOUSE OFTEN. Leon passed young due to substance abuse issues; no doubt prompted (enhanced) by Skynrds tragic fate. Wilkeson was one of the survivors of the plane crash that killed Ronnie Van Zant and guitarist Steve Gaines, though severe injuries would force Leon Wilkeson to find alternatives to playing bass. Leon (Wilkeson, from Skynyrd) stayed with me for a while too. he always wore funky hats, so they called him Mad Hatter. Sorry! Leon Wilkeson, Allen Collins, Ronnie Van Zant and Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd with friends in 1975 in San Jose, California. Priscilla Presley Shares Emotional Post On Lisa Marie's Birthday, In Rare Solo Moment, Mad Hatter Leon Wilkeson Stuns With Spontaneous Vocal Performance, Jay Leno Appears On First Talk Show Since Burn & Motorcycle Accidents, Sam Elliott Reunites With Big Lebowski Co-Star Jeff Bridges At SAG Awards, Florida Man Faces Legal Consequences For Hammer Attack On Shark, Dukes Of Hazzard Car Driven By Cast Members Has Been Totaled, Tom Sizemores Manager Releases Upsetting Update On His Condition, Austin Butler Called A True Gentleman For Helping Winners Up Steps At SAG Awards, Actor Who Plays Jamie On Yellowstone Addresses Rumors Of Behind-The-Scenes Drama. Please reset your password. Leon Wilkeson would have been 49 years old at the time of death or 63 years old today. Leon Russell Wilkeson (April 2, 1952 - July 27, 2001) was the bassist of Southern Rock Band Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1972 until his death in 2001. . Wilkeson opted to remain with Allen Collins in a new venture, The Allen Collins Band, issuing one album in 1983, Here, There and Back. After the Collins Band fizzled, little was heard from Wilkeson during the mid-1980s, except for a short-lived membership with Rocco Marshalls Christian-rock band Vision, which also included Billy Powell. Leon Wilkeson's father was alive, but was "the weirdest human being I had ever met in my life," according to King. Wilkeson died in his sleep on July 27, 2001, at age 49 at the Sawgrass Marriott Resort & Beach Club in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. The style is very common and can be found in any self-respecting hat shop. Net Worth in 2021. Use the links under See more to quickly search for other people with the same last name in the same cemetery, city, county, etc. ; The best places to look for gear usage are typically on the artist's social media, YouTube, live performance images, and interviews. But shortly after the release of their second album, 1982's This Is the Way, the band split up. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. If you have questions, please contact [emailprotected]. Atlanta, Georgia 30328 | 877.481.5750, . Musician Leon Wilkeson was born on April 2, 1952, in Newport, RI. After becoming a big Beatles fan as a teenager, Leonfollowed in the footsteps of his idol Paul McCartney, and dedicated himself to learning how to play the bass at the age of 14. But shortly after the release of their second album, 1982s This is the Way, the band split up. Wilkeson had apparently been suffering from chronic liver and lung disease. "He was abusive, a nasty, mean little man with the personality of a thumb." . Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. During a blood test last summer Hepatitis C was discovered in my liver. His death was attributed to natural causes. In 2001, Leon Russell Wilkeson, also known as "The Mad Hatter of Southern Rock", and the bass guitarist of the band Lynyrd Skynyrd, was found dead in Ponte Verde Beach, Florida. $1 Million - $5 Million. Who is Leon Wilkeson: Leon Wilkeson is a famous American musician. If you're an artist and think we'd like your music, get in touch. BETTER YOU GET IT THAN ANYONE ELSE * * COMES WITH DOCUMENT OF AUTHENTICY SUITABLE FOR FRAMING * ** PLEASE CHECK THE OTHER ITEMS I HAVE LISTED IN OTHER CATIGORIES THIS WEEK THIS WEEK ** I am the third roadie ever hired to work for the LYNYRD SKYNYRD BAND. My all time favorite bass player and very ignored unfortunately. Dubbed the Mad Hatter by way of his proclivity for eccentric headwear on and off stage, among Wiklesons more notable instruments was a purchase from his aforementioned bass hero Entwistle the hybrid Gibson Thunderbird body and Fender Precision neck hence the moniker Fenderbird.. Year should not be greater than current year. Must have acquired it in the early 1980s. Salary in 2020. Also a survivor of the plane crash October 20,1977 that killed band leader RONNIE VANZANT, STEVE GAINES, his sister CASSIE GAINES and assistant road manager DEAN KILPATRICK. was born on April 2nd 1952 in Newport, Rhode Island, but raised in Jacksonville, Florida. Resend Activation Email. Allen Collins started the ALLEN COLLINS BAND that only lasted about 2 years. He introduced his friends and when he got to the end, I said, "You don't have to go any further. . The 1980s appeared to bring great promise for most of the surviving band members, as a new group, the Rossington-Collins Band, formed, consisting of Wilkeson, guitarists Gary Rossington and Allen Collins, and keyboardist Billy Powell.[1]. Leon Wilkeson Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, May 11, 2002. /. Badass on the bass for sure. Its hard to imagine Lynyrd Skynyrd without the spectacular talent and wit brought to the table by bassist Leon Wilkeson. It was also during this time that Wilkeson picked up the gimmick of wearing colorful hats onstage, garnering the nickname "Mad Hatter.". . 0 reviews. Wilkeson and the other survivors bowed out of the spotlight for the remainder of the 1970s as they attempted to put their lives back together. amzn_assoc_title = "Lynyrd Skynyrd Memorabilia"; . Skynyrd signed with Al Koopers production company, Sounds of the South, a joint venture with MCA Records, in 1973, an event that should have signaled smooth sailing for the group. The Rossington-Collins Band got off to a good start, as their 1980 debut, '"Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere," became a modest hit. Guitarist Ed King found Wilkeson with his throat cut, bleeding profusely on the groups tour bus. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. On stage and on record, their full-throttle boogie style was both explosive and surprisingly graceful as evident in the genre's landmark "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama". Are you adding a grave photo that will fulfill this request? The Lynyrd Skynyrd story is one inevitably tinged by the tragic events of 20 October 1977, when a plane carrying the band crashed, killing six of the 20 people on board, including frontman Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and his sister, backing vocalist Cassie Gaines. It was also during this time that Wilkeson picked up the gimmick of wearing colorful hats onstage, garnering the nickname "Mad Hatter." Leon Wilkeson was found dead in his hotel room in Ponte Vedra Beach, near Jacksonville, Florida on July 21st 2001. UP FOR AUCTION IS this * ATLANTA BRAVES 1991 * WORLD SERIES * BASEBALL HAT * OWNED BY * LEON WILKESON * EXCELLENT CONDITION * * LEON HAD SOME BAD RELATIONSHIPS THOUGH HIS CAREER THAT DURING BREAKUPS Page 2 of 3 < Prev 1 2 3 Next > Aug 17 . I'm a fan of any member of the pre-1977 Lynyrd Skynyrd. Leon Wilkeson, guitarist: born Jacksonville, Florida 2 April 1952; died Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 27 July 2001. . According to his autopsy, he suffered from severe liver cirrhosis caused by years of heavy drinking and traces of drugs were found on his blood, but his death was filed under "accident". Early life. July 30, 2001. Gambler Cowboy Hat Black 100% Wool Felt with Buckle Band Water Repellent Gaucho Crushable Wool Felt Gambler Hat Men, Women's Handmade hat's Ad vertisement by WanoGifts. Early life. He was the bass guitarist for the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. July 27, 2001 - Leon Wilkeson (bass player for Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1972 until his death). If this item contains incorrect or inappropriate information please. Leon Russell Wilkeson, 49, died on Friday, July 27, 2001. . $40.00 FREE shipping. Allen Collins started the ALLEN COLLINS BAND that only lasted about 2 years. He grew up in Jacksonville, FL and went on to become the main bass player in the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd in the 1970s, the heydey of the band. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. Lynyrd Skynyrd dedicated the song "Mad Hatter" from their 2003 album Vicious Cycle to Wilkeson's memory. You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. Wilkeson returned to playing music professionally three years later, but never recovered his original dexterity on the instrument. Wilkeson acquired a "Fenderbird" bass from John Entwistle. Leon Russell Wilkeson (April 2, 1952 - July 27, 2001) was the bassist of Southern rock Band Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1972 until his death in 2001. Leon Wilkeson was born on April 2, 1952 in Jacksonville, Florida, USA. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Leon Wilkeson I found on Findagrave.com. January 28, 2009, Orange Park, Florida), Leon Wilkeson (b. April 2, 1952d. Again tragedy struck. BUT SOME FRIENDS TO STAY WITH IN MANY PARTS OF THE COUNTRY DURING TRANSITIONS OF HIS LIFE. On stage and on record, their full-throttle boogie style was both explosive and surprisingly graceful as evident in the genre's landmark "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama." Learn more about managing a memorial . Skynyrd dedicated the song . This account has been disabled. He was previously married to Evelyn Susan Abner, Ronda Rose Britton, Sherrie Lynn Rigby and Rena Wolfe. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "psr010-20"; Leon Russell Wilkeson (April 2, 1952 - July 27, 2001) was the bassist of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1972 until his death in 2001. . See more ideas about lynyrd skynyrd band, lynyrd skynyrd, southern rock. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. Click below to begin your paid subscription. Thank you for fulfilling this photo request. [2] Wilkeson's death put the group in a difficult position since an agreement with Ronnie Van Zant's widow, Judy Jenness, mandated that at least three of Skynyrd's longtime members would have to appear in order for the band to use the name Lynyrd Skynyrd. Great bassist. Sadly, Wikleson was seriously injured in the 77 plane crash which essentially destroyed the bands classic line-up and he lost much of his abilities as a premier pocket and melodic player. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. Leon Russell Wilkeson (2. huhtikuuta 1952 - 27. heinkuuta 2001) oli yhdysvaltalainen basisti, joka oli Lynyrd Skynyrd-yhtyeen pitkaikainen jsen. This account already exists, but the email address still needs to be confirmed. Was known for his many outrageous hats. DURING THE EARLY NINETIES LEON GAVE ME A LARGE SUITCASE TO HOLD FOR HIM SO THAT HE WOULD NOT LOSE THE THINGS INSIDE THE CASE IN ANOTHER BAD SITUATION. By the early 70s, Leonhadbecome one of Jacksonvilles top bassists, and when Lynyrd Skynyrds bassist Greg T. Walker left the band, Leon Wilkeson was brought in as his replacement. On the memorial of one of Southern rocks saddest days, this is exactly what Lynyrd Skynyrd fans need a spirited celebration of a life as wonderful and unique as the hats Leon wore onstage every night for 3 decades. Only wanting to play music, he dropped out of his school band at the age of 14 and, soon he was playing bass with Ronnie Van Zants local group, the Collegiates. Are you sure that you want to delete this photo? In 1979 another survivor of the plane crash Kevin Elson, who was the Sound Man for LYNYRD SKYNYRD at the time of the crash called saying he was going out on a World Tour with the group JOURNEY and they needed a Guitar Tech to go to the recording studio with them for their second album titled Evolution then also go out on the JOURNEY 1979 World Tour. Maybe 100 people there. All Lynyrd SKynyrd Music is owned by MCA Records and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Thanks for your help! Puresouthernrock.com is the most complete Southern Rock resource on the web. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; Leon Wilkeson was born on April 2, 1952 in Newport, Rhode Island, but grew up and learned to play music in Jacksonville, Florida. It is the same illness Leon Wilkeson started with, he didn't treat it properly and Leon Wilkeson died 4 years ago. A character in the supernatural thriller The Coffin (2008) refers to a person as Ol' Man Wilkeson. Leon Wilkeson, known as "The Mad Hatter of Southern Rock," was the bassist of the rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. A medical examiner reported that Wilkeson was suffering from chronic liver and lung disease and died of natural causes. In 1979 another survivor of the plane crash Kevin Elson, who was the Sound Man for LYNYRD SKYNYRD at the time of the crash called saying he was going out on a World Tour with the group JOURNEY and they needed a Guitar Tech to go to the recording studio with them for their second album titled Evolution then also go out on the JOURNEY 1979 World Tour. . I heard a lot of him! Skynyrd received another burst of renewed interest during the late 1990s, due to an episode of VH1s Behind the Music that explored the groups turbulent career. The Fenderbird bass mated a custom made Gibson Thunderbird body to a Fender Precision Bass neck. Eclipse Twilight Faces Of Battle Set 8 Trading Cards Breaking Dawn Rober. The principal members were Ronnie Van Zant (b. January 15, 1949 . This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. We have set your language to AFTER MANY TOURS HE WOULD FLY HOME WITH ME. It was also during this time that Wilkeson picked up the gimmick of wearing colorful hats onstage, garnering the nickname "Mad Hatter." . Never thought I would sell some of these items but really no other reasonable ideas. This was even quoted by Billy Powell and late friends Leon Wilkeson, Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant. As manager of this memorial you can add or update the memorial using the Edit button below. Mysterious incident left Leon Wilkeson near death a second time. Sites: Wikipedia. He had to play holding the bass in a more upright position because he couldnt fully extend his arm. Available in womans small, unisex small through XXXl. Barely recovered from the injuries received in the plane crash on October 20,1977, When in February of 1978 the group FOREIGNER called to work for them in the recording studio and be their Guitar Tech for their second album titled Double Vision and then go out on their 1978 World Tour. 0 cemeteries found in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida, USA. Lynyrd Skynyrd, died Friday in his sleep. With hit albums and sold-out tours (as well as leading a southern rock movement--as well as the emergence of such similarly styled acts as .38 Special, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, the Outlaws, etc.--it appeared that things could only get . [1] The injury to his left arm was most concerning, as the dirty water of the swamp had already extensively contaminated his open wounds, and the additional surgery he would need to rebuild his face and arm with steel plates would raise his risk of infection even further. In 1987 left the MARSHALL TUCKER BAND when I got the call to return to the new LYNYRD SKYNYRD BAND on the tour known as the TRIBUTE TOUR. Once Skynyrdgained popularity with hit songssuch as Freebird and Sweet Home Alabama, Leonstarted wearing crazy hats on stage, which earned him the nickname Mad Hatter.. Misspelled his name Leon Wilkeson, don't take offence! Leon Russell Wilkeson (April 2, 1952 - July 27, 2001) was the bassist of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1972 until his death in 2001. Having replaced their original bassist Larry Junstrom (Junstrom later joined fellow Southern Rock band 38 Special), Wilkeson was a very powerful bassist with a style that owed most to Paul McCartney of The Beatles, and above all, to Jack Bruce of Cream, John Entwistle of The Who, Phil Lesh of Jefferson Airplane and Berry Oakley of Allman Brothers. This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. I learned a lot from him. After discussing the matter with Van Zant, Wilkeson was welcomed back into Lynyrd Skynyrd. Must have acquired it in the early 1980s. Even though Leon is gone, he continues to live on as a part of Skynyrd . From left, Al Kooper, Leon Wilkeson, Theresa Wilkeson, Gary Rossington, and Ronnie Van Zant. Try again. Rock Musician. This is in honor of Leon. "D'yknow Ronnie Van Zant's dad was a truck driver and he'd go with him on these drives up to New York and stuff as a kid." I tell my friend RJ one night during a round of shoot the musical shit. Are you sure that you want to remove this flower? Read more on Wikipedia. Texas Hatters have made claims to being his hatter, they call it the 'hi-roller.' You can find it currently on sale at the. When he nailed the Skynyrd gig, a job which he held for life, Wilkeson got cold feet and sat out the band's debut platter Pronounced Leh . Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. There was a problem getting your location. Try again later. Being part of the original line-up, he helped them create a legacy that no other southern rock band has ever touched. If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Former Strawberry Alarm Clock lead guitarist Ed King replaced Wilkeson during the recording of Skynyrd's debut album, Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd, but just as sessions wrapped up, King and vocalist Ronnie Van Zant both agreed that King wasn't suited to be a bassist. (Yes, my hair was long and dark then and my signature felt hat was part of my identity.) On Buzzlearn.com, Leon is listed as a successful Musician who was born in the year of 1952. They are at the top of my list of bands where every member was a great talent - Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rush, etc. Leon came up with some really nice bass lines, great player! Former Strawberry Alarm Clock member Ed King subbed for Wilkeson during the recording of Skynyrds debut, Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd, but just as sessions wrapped up, Wilkeson began having second thoughts about leaving the group. Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? Lieutenant Colonel in the Alabama State Militia. Your credit card or PayPal account will be charged. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a29cf5dbd0cef8c 200 _ 1 a Wilkeson b Leon f 1952-2001 4xx's: Alternate Name Forms (19) 400 0 _ a Leon Wilkeson c Amerikaans muzikant (1952-2001) . Lynyrd Skynyrd bassist Leon Wilkeson was able to dodge death two times (while on tour with the band), but proved not as lucky a third time. Modeled by Jessica my daughter, Corrina, Steve Gaines's daughter and Mr Mark Barnes. In our previous interview you told me some good Gregg Allman stories. When he passed away on this day in 2001 at the age of 49, his sense of humor and hats were immortalized in Lynyrd Skynyrds 2003 album Vicious Cycle with the bluesy tributeMad Hatter,a song dedicated to the man described by family as a hilarious cut up and by his brothers in Lynyrd Skynyrd as a good man gone entirely too soon. DURING THE EARLY NINETIES LEON GAVE ME A LARGE SUITCASE TO HOLD FOR HIM SO THAT HE WOULD NOT LOSE THE THINGS INSIDE THE CASE IN ANOTHER BAD SITUATION. Jenness waived this proviso, and the group continued with replacement bassist Ean Evans. Despite the raw grief were sure his bandmates experienced at his loss, Mad Hatter is anything but sad its a love letter to everything Lynyrd Skynyrd and their fans loved about Leon. Items in the Price Guide are obtained exclusively from licensors and partners solely for our members research needs. Subsequently he was left with a greatly reduced range of motion, which forced him to hold his bass close to his body and at a distinctive near-vertical orientation. Since 2007, the English Wikipedia page of Leon Wilkeson has received more than 817,936 page views. Known for his outlandish hats, Leon Wilkeson survived the plane crash in 1977 that killed band members Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines and singer Cassie Gaines. Born in '52, akin to many of his generation, Wilkeson learned his craft emulating such '60 - '70s bass icons including Sir Paul, Jack Bruce, Phil Lesh, Berry Oakley, John Entwistle, and Jack Casady. Leon was loved by all, he was a kind soul with a big heart, and a good friend . Wilkeson did manage to lay down bass parts for a release by Jacksonville band Alias, whose debut album, Contraband, was released in 1979 on Mercury. At the age of just 49, Wilkeson was found dead in a Florida hotel room in 2001. [1] By 1972, Wilkeson was becoming one of Jacksonville's top bassists. amzn_assoc_linkid = "3dade7dca27a107e53fc9f079283fe14"; Lesbian ~ 1972 The Runaway ~ William Smith Lot 3 Cards, Autographed Carol Burnett Photo & Hat From Her Show, SUPERMAN MOVIE EMBLEM New Rare 3-D Sign Brushed Steel, Grateful Dead Vintage 1970 Fillmore West Concert Ticket, Kiss Teen Favorites Presents Kiss Vintage 1978, Lone Ranger/clayton Moore - Rare Orig News Photo, Original Artist Proof 1968 Newport Pop Festival Poster, Johnny Sheffield As Tarzan's Boy Feeding Elephant Photo. It was a small dance hall. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/5861203/leon-wilkeson. He left Skynyrd before their debut album, but was back in the line-up soon after it was released. According to Rolling Stone, Wilkeson was among the most severely injured in the Skynyrd plane crash. Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried.