I had a photo of myself and Ringo holding one of the boots. You also played sax on Train in the Distance on Pauls album Hearts and Bones. I freaked out, says Rivera. The George Harrison of the Yankees would have to be Ron Guidry. For all intents and purposes, the last time he sang Imagine, I was onstage with him. He said, I want you to learn Only the Good Die Young, Just the Way You Are, and one other song that I cant remember for the life of me. Fresh Cream had just come out. But no. Cannata, a longtime resident of Glen Cove, connected with Joel when an engineer on one of his musical assignments suggested that Joel, who was looking for a sax player, would love his work. Unbelievable. Cannata joined Joel and the guys for the recording of the multiplatinum album Turnstiles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pWtlveR2Os. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCd0JfW93fc. Baby Grand is also on that and A Matter of Trust. But I know its hard for Billy to step away from himself as a writer. People say, Whats the trick? I say, Theres no trick. I get there and Im one of two white guys. Just last year, DeVitto who still plays the hits with alums from Joel's band, Russell Javors on guitar and vocals and Richie Cannata on saxophone and keyboards in a group called the Lords of . Thats your aptitude. When Hurricane Sandy hit the Island the first call I got was from Cannata to conduct another benefit concert to raise money helping feed the families after the devastation. All of a sudden, Sledgehammer comes on. Which is fine. It was seven guys in a station wagon, with a U-Haul behind us with all our gear. The first tour, Ringo had three drummers with Levon Helm, himself, and Jim Keltner. He alluded to that. Good. Finally, Mutt said, How about this? And he played the tape and I swear it was the first thing I played when I walked in. Some of Billy Joel's former backing band chat about their time with the "Piano Man" in director Fran Strine's new documentary on famous side-players, called Hired Gun, which opens in 320 movie houses nationwide on Friday June 29th. I knew all the parts. My mother used to say, Treat the people who are famous like theyre not. Any time I played with a band in New Jersey, wed do it. Here I am with two of my legends, two of my idols and its youre Billy Joels sax player, which Im very proud to be, but nobody knows their names. The Nylon Curtain was already recorded. Ill tell you one other story. I swear, on my eyes, the first thing I played was [imitates the Sledgehammer horn part]. performed the song around the world at every major venue, At rehearsals or onstage, Paul was always happy-go-lucky and really chill. I think all of humanity needs to take a step back and realize that were all in this together. I was playing in a band called Topper with Doug Stegmeyer and he got the gig to play bass with Billy on the Streetlife tour. at 4 am in the morning, Billy called Richie down to the Then Mick [Jones] and Lou [Gramm] had a foosball table and they were mixing some vodkas. [5] They officially formed a band, The Lords of 52nd Street, which plays faithful renditions of the original Joel recordings. One day in 1975 when Cannata was in the studio, engineer . Someone is like, What happens on the bridge of such and such a song? And Ringo with his arms folded went, Just ask Mark. Look, I love Temptation. This Is the Time is my favorite all-time Billy Joel song. We had a 101102 fever for two weeks. I started taking lessons from my uncle. Dom Scott & Richie Cannata) - Single 2019 Richie Cannata 2011 Finesse (feat. Ive been so, so blessed with this balancing act that Ive been doing. The two front panels would open up and flare out. In the fall of 2013, saxophonist Mark Rivera found himself in a very tight spot. But the serious moment would have to be February 9th, 1964. I saw them at the New York State Pavilion [in August 1969]. Here are some interesting facts about Richie Cannata: * His Star sign is Pisces and zodiac sign element is Water. | When The Billy Joel Band's saxophonist thanked the Rock and. Everyone works for Boomer. Despite all these great stories Im telling you, there were times I couldnt pay a phone bill or do certain things. Hey went, Hey, Stoker. Ive worked with three duos [Sam and Dave, Simon and Garfunkel, Hall and Oates] and they didnt always get along. and television. Im very much looking forward to our first show back. You lose track of it. [11] At this point, the only players that Joel kept, for both his touring band and for the recording of the album, were Brown, Rivera, and DeVitto. I get out. Wed be sitting there, looking at them and just flipping out. The touring lineup changed and it took a few years for the lineup to stabilize. I will never forget the day a couple of young musicians were walking around the Yankees clubhouse like a couple of little kids. My wife and I had the virus in March, so Ive been through it. Mutt knew that I could sing because I sang with Tycoon. It was Peter Frampton, Jack Bruce, Gary Brooker, Simon Kirke, myself, and Ringo. I dont know what happened. Someone goes, Hey, thats Mark Rivera. [13] He also played for Taylor Dayne in the late 1980s/early 1990s, and was a saxophonist with Bernie Williams.[14]. Im wondering if you could come down to Electric Lady?. You attitude is what you take into it. His first name is Richie and his last name is Cannata. Yes I do. He goes, Oh, right, I forgot that part. He knows everything. So, by default, I got the gig as musical director and its been the same ever since. At this point, the only remaining long-standing member of Joel's touring band was DeVitto. He says, By the way, I havent played this in about eight years. How bad were your Covid symptoms? Couldnt smell, couldnt eat. Again, you have one powerful, powerful force in Daryl. You got the sense that was the case. Theres this void that is in our hearts. He would tour with Joel and work alongside him in the studio for the next five years, contributing to multiplatinum records The Stranger, 52nd Street, Glass Houses and Songs in the Attic. He also had a road case that was about six feet tall and four feet wide and four feet deep. | He is also ranked in the richest person list from United States. Richie's CD at iTunes, Buy Lets say you were talking to a young musician who was about to go on tour backing a major solo artist. Jimmy Iovine played in a rival band. Its a whole bunch of stuff. I would go to the Fillmore every Friday or Saturday, any weekend that I wasnt working. We spoke to him about his long journey through the music industry. One important addition to the band in 1982 was the replacement of his long-time saxophonist Richie Cannata with Mark Rivera. 2023 Long Island Music and Entertainment Hall of Fame, Contact Us|Accessibility Statement|Privacy Policy|Sitemap, Support The Long Island Music and Entertainment Hall of Fame. In 2006, Cannata briefly toured again with Joel, and was part of his record-setting 12-show run at Madison Square Garden. [Hums Soul Man] I grew up playing those as a kid. You can be a great player and be a dick. Richie Cannata) - Single 2021 Attention (feat. We go through the whole song. And then he did the thing where he weighed one hand against the other, moving them up and down. As a member of "The Billy Joel Band" from 1975-81, he contributed immensely to such landmark albums as "The Stranger", "52nd Street" and "Glass Houses". He is 74 years old. The next day, I played the organ. He's also on Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" and was onstage with John Lennon at his final public performance. You play the organ on this one. I was like, I only play this on piano. We keep in touch. Id never shot craps in my life. He was like, Hey, Mark. This edition features saxophonist Mark Rivera. Water sport is one of the most popular types of activities that you can do on beaches, some examples of water sport are jet skiing, and surfing. Billys music will be the thing that will heal millions of people. Until Richie created his own record this year, he had felt the need to revisit 'New York State of Mind' and develop his own version of the classic tune. It was unbelievable. I was in a band in Brooklyn. We all got to hang out and John decided he wanted to do this tribute to Sir Lew Grade. You want to say, This is Mick Jones. But you dont want to do that. for his acclaimed self-titled CD. Cannata was born 3 March 1949[4] in Brooklyn, New York, the son of Ernest (26 March 1914 14 April 1993)[5] and Anna (February 25, 1926 1 April 2007)[6] Cannata. Yeah. I cant imagine the thrill of being a Lennon fan one minute and then playing Imagine with him onstage. Official Sites, View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro. He has recorded and toured with Billy Joel's original band since 1975 and after being inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame in 2015, he has reunited with The Lords of . I dont have adjectives to describe. How did that lead to you going on the tour with them? Dude, you werent really paying attention. They will. Richie Cannatas net worth or net income is estimated to be $1 million $9 million dollars. It was just Paul and Roy Halee, producer. March 5, 1948) in NYC, is an acclaimed musician who is also a successful record producer. Theyre going through every iteration of the songs, trying to change this, double-track that, harmonize this. There was a mutual understanding that was going to happen. I had two days to be home with my family. In 2006, Carl Fischer joined Joel's band as his trumpeter and trombonist for select songs (most notably for the trumpet solos in the song "Zanzibar"). Richie Cannata (born March 3, 1949) is an American music producer, saxophonist, keyboardist and studio owner. Over the years Cannata's performing style has been influenced by John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Gene Ammons, and King Curtis. I went into my locker and got a couple of baseballs and pens, and handed it to them. They had Waiting for a Girl Like You, Jukebox Hero, Night Life, and a few other songs they needed to do some serious vocals on. I dont know how I did it. As performers, we feed off the energy of the crowd and its not there. Who is going to play the acoustic part? I was like, Oh, Ill play it. And as were going through the song, somebody couldnt figure out where it went to D minor. Hey, frankly, I would have worn an ass on my face if it meant playing on TV with John Lennon. The rest is history. And whats really crazy to think about as time went on, I played with John, met Paul, and became Ringos musical director. Our son is in the back row in his car seat. Joel also added lead guitarist David Brown in 1978 who stayed with the band throughout the 1980s, beginning with the recording of Glass Houses (1980). [20], On July 11, 2016, Cannata received special recognition from Glen Cove Mayor for his contributions to the city's music heritage. All of us are feeling the same thing. Clive Davis said, I want your band and Ill pay $200,000, which is way more money than Atlantic was going to pay, but you have to use this producer, Mutt Lange.. Dave was just very upset with how things were turning out. Just be like a faint train. Thats what came out. Richie Cannata was born on 1948 in New York City, New York, USA, is an Actor, Music Department, Soundtrack. All I had was one saxophone. Richie's CD Showcase get a taste of Richie's Live performance of his first single Keep it in the Pocket! 2012 New York State of Mind (Deluxe Edition) 1 7:37 June 6, 2012 1 Song, 8 Minutes 2012 Richie Cannata More by Richie Cannata What You Started (feat. Richie is married to Kimberly Cannata who he met in college at UC Santa Barbara. After leaving the band in 1981, he opened Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York. Fran Strine's new documentary 'Hired Gun' opens nationwide on Friday June 29th, Billy Joel performs on stage, USA, 1977. But 40-years later, DAmbrosio wasnt too far off and let me add, if theres a better sax player in this world like Richie Cannata, especially after you hear him in that solo New York State of Mind, he just doesnt exist. It was two-faced. Theres nothing on the track besides Tony Levins bass, Manu [Katch]s drums, a little bit of weird keyboard stuff, and the guitar player [David Rhodes]. I already had a guitar. The shine was definitely off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkWmQI4HCU&feature=youtu.be. Its still crazy to think about. Joel wound up bringing in saxophonist Andy Snitzer to sub in for the overseas shows, marking one of the only occasions where Rivera has missed a show since joining the band in 1982 for the Nylon Curtain tour, replacing Richie Cannata. Dave [Prater] they had already gone through their heyday. What do you need? I wasnt going to argue. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Richie Cannata is on Facebook. She Ended Up Finding Herself, Hear Ann-Margret and Pete Townshends New Take on the Everly Brothers Bye Bye Love, The National Stay Up Late to Perform 'Tropic Morning News' on Fallon, David Lindley, Multi-Instrumentalist Who Shaped the Sound of Soft Rock, Dead at 78, How Deem Spencer Learned to be Vulnerable on His New Album adultSW!M, Suki Waterhouse Won't Take Romance for Granted on New Single 'To Love', Travis Barker Says His Finger Ligament Surgery Was a 'Success' After Postponing Blink-182 Tour. It was crazy. I know that Billy is still writing classical music. After leaving the band in 1981,[3] he opened Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York. Treat the people who arent like they are. I say, Nice to meet you. It was a little rough. In closing, I am forever grateful for the friendship to Ron Guidry who was a big brother to me and all the other bat boys in that locker room, and of course, to Richie Cannata. He remains at this position and served as both a musical consultant and band member in the Movin' Out musical. ', Home >> Artists A-Z >> Richie Cannata I love playing with Daryl and John. Additionally, he became a music producer, producing albums for Phoebe Snow, Rita Coolidge, Corey Hart, and Tommy Shaw. Guidrys kind gesture, to Richie Cannata had an impact. From The Stranger in 1977 through The Bridge in 1986, Joel had been working with the same producer, Phil Ramone, as well as with the same basic incarnation of the Billy Joel Band (with minor line-up changes over the years). Richie Cannata's Net Worth: $1-5 Million. The difference from being in Foreigner which Im incredibly grateful for the opportunity; I love the band; I love the music but the moment I joined Billys band, I was part of a band. Lets do it again.. Artists including Celine Dion, Billy Joel, Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony have recorded in Cannata's studio. One night, we shot craps and I took all of Daves money. Hes looking at her like, Please stop with your words.. Just get along with people. My Aunt Iris bought me the album before the show. Cannata, who is now cancer-free and wrapping up physical rehab since he regained feeling in his hands and feet, says the idea of playing with The Lords of 52nd Street pushed him to recover. Longtime Billy Joel drummer Liberty DeVitto and musician Richie Cannata will also be special guests this Thursday on the Sounds of Film. Theres not even a saxophone on it. My three favorite Billy songs are This Is the Time, So It Goes and All About Soul. They are just great songs. Youre up there with a Beatle and members of the Who and Cream and youre playing songs by Grand Funk Railroad. I got it. I had to tell Billy, Billy, I already committed to Ringo. Yeah. March 5, 1948) in NYC, is an acclaimed musician who is also a successful record producer. My wife goes, Thats our favorite song! Our son is bouncing along to it. Traffic was a huge influence on me. All are renowned in the business, but some are less well known to the general public. I spoke to Billy a number of years ago and he told me that he only likes two or three songs on The Bridge. Its so freaky and so incredible. He went from being a tape operator to producing seminal records for Bruce Springsteen and John Lennon. Just bear with me. He plays [hums the bass part slightly off] and stops. Thats that. I flew down the stairs. It was great. How old were you when music entered your life in a serious way? I was touring with Foreigner on the Agent Provocateur tour when I got the call, so my saxophones were in a road case way the hell back in a semi. Im a firm believer in that. These guy still play, and this is their facebook page. It includes the following musicians: Billy Joel Band in 2007. The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time Richie sun sign is Pisces and his birth flower is Daffodil & Jonquil. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Richie Cannata. at Amazon, Click here to enter Richie's Official Website: and has been heard by millions of fans through radio This happened just before the two big hits I Love You Just The Way You Are and New York State of Mind were released. However well you play will take you so far. I was like, I saw these guys in 67 and now its like 1997. Its like [hums the Twilight Zone theme]. Richie Cannata (b. Now, Im in the same boat as before, but flipped. You dont want to make mistakes with the choreography. Richie Cannata) - Single Dana Simone Nobody Else (feat. So now Im meeting up with [producer] Daniel Lanois and Im really taken back, but Im trying to be cool. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. best marketing conferences 2023, temazcal nutrition information, boone funeral obituaries,