Specifically, the joy found in our trip to the salt to fish the lesser known of the great Yucatan bays: Chetumal. So I will simply say that there is a broad range of acceptable tactics but with the permit I caught, in the weather I caught it and with cast I made I was happy to have the 10wt. To the north, we have the the Rio Huach lagoon system, boasting consisitent baby Tarpon and Snook fishing year round. The place is far nicer and mainstream than led to believe in the pictures. you. All of our guides are Xcalak natives who have spent their entire lives on and in these waters and still love to fish in their free time. Its uncommonly easy to find a stretch of the Caribbean all to yourself in Xcalak. Xcalak Bonefish (1.000) Xcalak on a Monday (1.000) Bones of Costa de Cocos (1.000) Tags: Bahia Blanca, bonefishing, Mexico, Xcalak. Powered by In the Xcalak National Reef Park, fishing is catch-and-release (release comes after you take a photo of your catch, of course). I hope to see you down here soon. Luggage options for the traveling angler. Xcalak is a small fishing village on the southern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula, in the State of Quintana Roo. My love of snook was something I was clowned on throughout the trip, but when these Mexican migrators showed up on the flats and in the mangroves, no one was laughing. Fly Fishing shop, the owner of this B&B is a fly fishing enthusiast. XTC local guides maintain a high degree of knowledge on fly fishing and casting artificial lures for all species of saltwater fish found in the area. Re: DIY Fly Fishing. This place is real and its called Xcalak. Acocote Eco Inn: Perfect for the adventurous - Read 144 reviews, view 87 photos, and find great deals for Acocote Eco Inn at Tripadvisor Xcalak on the Fly is the Yucatan Peninsulas newest fly fishing lodge based out of Casa Paraiso. Many avid anglers, however, enjoy bringing their own gear. Maybe you are very serious about fly fishing maybe you are very excited about snorkeling or maybe you are just very ready for a vacation to explore the reefs, islands, lagoons and bays of the beautiful Xcalak National Park. Casa Cangrejo, One of the first accommodations to open in Xcalak, at Cocos your room is a palapa hut. position: relative; Work now, play later as they say. The second episode of the two-part sit-down with the owner of XFlats Lodge, Jesse Colton. is a great caster himself, casting equally well with both For me, this fish is permit. I recently returned from Southern Mexico after my first salt water trip. [emailprotected], HOURS: When I wrote my first article on bonefish fishing in Xcalak, Mexico, I mentioned that I was currently planning another trip back to pursue bonefish once again. Before you head off to Xcalak, here is some advice for making the most of your trip: .jason-signup { I am looking up from my desk at a picture fly fishing maybe you are very excited about snorkeling or width:max-content; Bill Battles - Fly Fish America. Not to mention the list of 'other' species, such as Barracuda, Snapper, Jacks, Snook and Cobia that are all a real possibility on every trip. Xcalak is one of the towns that has been maintained over time in its most natural state. The resort also offers half- and full-day fishing trips (US$175-350), in case you want to fish while in Xcalak without making it a full-on fishing vacation. This isn't a trip for everyone but for those looking for a trip off the grid a bit, I would like to introduce you Xcalak Mexico. Video: 9 more videos to help you discover Xcalak. Please check the website to learn @media only screen and (max-width: 600px) { Fishing changes by the week in Montana. Speaking of accommodations, here are the most popular accommodations for fly fishers in Xcalak: Home of the Fxcalak (fish-ka-lak, get it?) In Xcalak, fly fishing is a treat it isnt crowded and has healthy marine life and excellent guides. With clear underwater visibility, warm temperatures, and the presence of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the coast of Xcalak offers fantastic scuba diving and snorkeling. I have had wonderful days fishing for bonefish We're on our way back to Costa de Cocos resort, idling down the outside edge of a long . @Glenn, I dont know why the video isnt playing for you it played for me straight off. The small fishing village of ~400 people sits on the second largest coral reef in the . Often overlooked in favour of Ascension Bay to the north, this is a huge fishing ground and home to plenty of bonefish and permit, and plenty else besides. The XTC Fly Fishing Experience. The boat ride to the vast fishing area in Chetumal . Xcalak is a refreshingly undisturbed fishing village nestled along Mexicos southernmost Caribbean coastline. May 2, 2016. Park. A few of us even opted to grab a lodge kayak and head out to the oceanside flats for a little afternoon casting practice. Julios younger brother and apprentice, Eduardo, spots the fish right away. While the grand slam has the draw for fly fishing in Mexican saltwater, I think that one might be selling themselves short if you are not prepared and excited to catch other fish. There is a landing strip in Xcalak, but Patrick and I cant yet afford to charter our own plane, so we opted for Cancn, where Miguel and his brother Alberto, the amicable drivers of a shuttle arranged by Costa de Cocos, met us amid the throngs of vacationers outside the airport. Spring creeks offer the ultimate challenge in the fly fishing world. 2-8-23. Things are calming back down, and some activity has returned to the beaches and offshore. https://www.josexcalaktours.com/index.html. Xcalaks shore is made mostly of tiny coral fragments that arent exactly powdery-soft. More from their website : "Tucked along the world-famous Chetumal Bay, the Xflats at Tierra Maya's 7 beachfront suites are elegantly . The average catch is 6 - 12 bonefish per day. Welcome to Xcalak 101. He is an excellent teacher and my choice when I send The reef is a physical barrier that breaks up big ocean surge and turns it to gentle waves. I often think of bonefish as the saviors of any saltwater fishing destination, due to their sheer numbers and availability as targets. maybe you are just very ready for a vacation to explore the Maximize your time on the water and make great memories on one of our deluxe overnight river camping trips. This might be a deeper existential opener for a blog post designed to inform you about our recent trip to Mexico, but it might be a necessary one. 2022 by Fly Fish Costa Maya. Now that I've been home from that trip for over a year, I figured it was time . That was a great trip report k_e_v. February 8, 2023. A pair of windmills power the resort, and like any good fishing lodge, it has its own restaurant and bar, which is where Patrick and I head after stashing our gear in our cabana, one of 16 spread along the waters edge. The town of Xcalak, Mexico sits at the end of the road. If you are interested, you can read more about our 2019 trip here OR shoot me an e-mail and we can talk Mayan adventure. trips from $300 : Sapos Del Mar . What's the #1 Thing Every Expat Says They Wish They'd Done Before Going to Latin America? You must log in or register to reply here. The restaurant at Cocos is a popular place to cool off with one of their microbrews and trade stories with other fishers. It was amazing fishing in a fantastic place with bones and permit caught right off the dock. 318 were here. One of those lucky ones was me. Durango fly fishing guides on the San Juan River, Animas River, Dolores River, Florida River and Los Pinos River. The shifting baseline concept popularized by Pauly (), in which change is measured against previous reference points which may themselves not reflect the true early state, has been documented in fisheries worldwide (e.g. Filters 1. Options include unique fishing lodges, exclusive ranch stays, riverside vacation rentals, and affordable hotel packages. On Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, far from the over-developed beaches of the Riviera Maya, you'll find a small, beachside fishing village called Xcalak. The clear water and marl bottom mix allow for great biodiversity within each lagoon, providing plenty of food for Bonefish, Snook, Cuda, small Permit, and Tarpon. You can buy food from the local grocery trucks that ply the beach road. I was also an unlucky one when I managed to hook and lose a permit pushing the 20-pound mark the next day, solidifying the fact that I would probably have said fever haunting me for the rest of my life. The reef runs from Cozumel all the way to Honduras, and is quite close to the shore in Xcalak. Really like your blog. Plan for your Montana fishing trip. Returning to Costa was a no brainer for me, as I quickly became addicted to saltwater fishing after my first trip. Quintana Roo, Mxico - Xcalak is a village of 375 inhabitants in the municipality of Othn P. Blanco, Quintana Roo, on the Caribbean coast of Mexico. josexcalak@hotmail.com WhatsApp Not all locations fish well every month but there is always something peaking on any given week. Can't find the video you're looking for? . The town sits next to the Caribbean on a small spit of land that separates the Ocean from Chetumal Bay. Even if the wind is howling out of the east, there are plenty of sheltered places to fish in Chetumal Bay, which is as large as Espiritu Santo and Ascension Bays combined. It also happens to be one of the best places to DIY saltwater fly fish. Andy manages Duranglers Flies and Supplies online store and web content. The fishing routine was simple and timely. Map. THE SUN IS SETTING OVER THE SLEEPY FISHING VILLAGE OF XCALAK, MEXICO, casting the barrier reef in amber light and bringing out the vibrant green and blue hues of the oceanside flats. Freshly caught lobster, coconut breaded fish topped with mango salsa, huevos rancheros in the mornings, tropical drinks waiting for us at the dock upon return from fishing, octopus ceviche, and even pizza (the restaurant is known for it)we were well fed. They are spooky and quick to forget. With XOTF at Casa Paraiso, youre sure to have a rewarding and relaxing time. Get it together I told myself. a bit about my services and your options for exploring the Xcalak Its a quaint statement that can be applied to many situations in life. Mixing bonefish, permit, and homemade bourbon on the Mexican Caribbean. We have been offering one week fly fishing . The fresh (but slightly salty) water in the lagoons hosts an entirely different species of wildlife than the saltwater flats. hands. float: left; All of the guides at the lodge had lots of experience on the water (most around 15-20 years of guiding). And he can also keep up Get away from it all on our extensive network of private access waters. Read about the seasonal patterns in our fisheries. What more could you ask for? The downside is the weather can be unpredictable this time of year. We came to fish, not be pampered with warm bathrobes and spa treatments. The fish are happy, the cooler is full and our skiffs are loaded, the only thing we are waiting for is you! Cell coverage is non-existent in Xcalak, so make sure you have an offline map before making the drive. In part because both destinations are on my radar and in part because it's nice seeing pics of such a warm destination (as I type this I think the wind chill may have crept into the low double digits). Night time temps were pretty cool, so having an AC was a non-issue and the showers were hot! Snorkel, kayak, and enjoy the constantly warm weather far from the snowy north. PHOTOGRAPHY BY RASMUS OVESEN & MARTIN EJLER OLSEN, Blue Ribbon, Fly-Fishing Fever in Heber Valley, Fish It Well Diaries, Chapter 5: Camille Egdorf, Discovering Resilience: Photos by Jess McGlothlin. 30 Jul. margin: 1.5rem 0; Given Xcalaks limited development, youd be right to guess that the tourist hotels take sustainability seriously. Depending on the weather conditions, we could find ourselves poling white sandbanks in search of Permit, wading ankle-deep grass flats for tailing Bonefish, or casting to strings of Tarpon passing remote cayes. I found this video fresh off the internets. 4.2 / 5 (2 reviews) Mahahual 26 ft 4 persons . The fishing day starts with meeting your guide on our new 200 foot dock directly in front of the lodge. Learn more about Mexico and other countries in our daily postcard e-letter. Wet season runs from May to October and you can still expect sunny days, but . /* Clear floats after the columns */ CFF April 2022 Fishing Reports. Some guides have over 25+ years of experience guiding fly fishers in the area. I would reccomend it, even just for the entertainment value. Here in Xcalak, Mexico, we have some of the most beautiful saltwater flats for fly fishing in the world. float: none; Destination Reports Xcalak Bonefish Round 2. Boats and Equipment All boats used by the lodge are 23-foot pangas that accommodate two fishermen and a guide. It would be my second trip chasing saltwater fish on the flats, while Tony is a fairly experienced saltwater angler and licensed Captain. We will help you hand pick the perfect lodge, design a great fishing program and help coordinate all logistics from airport transfers to meeting, Explore the world's most amazing fisheries with our destination travel program. I toss the Rag Head Crab into the air, load my 9-weight, and aim a couple feet in front of the lead fish. This special guide covers real estate, retirement and more in Mexico and is yours free when you sign up for our postcards below. Manage your subscription or add a digital edition to your print subscription. Heres a rundown of the Xcalak beach, and here are the Xcalak fly fishing basics: The saltwater flats are the biggest deal in Xcalak. He and his wife Illana own Costa de Cocos resort, which sits on . Xcalak is a quiet fishing town on the southern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. There's a boat ramp in the southwest corner of the lake. Search, book & review the best deals online with us! Talk your guide about what you want to try for snook, tarpon, barracuda, or jacks. Fly Fishing for bonefish in Chetumal Bay. For years, my work has been fishing and guiding in . Chetumal is no exception as it boasts resident baby and juvenile tarpon, along with large migrating adult tarpon in the summer months. International Fly-Fishing Film Festival 2023 Gage Charlesworth Ogden City Corp gagec@ogdencity.com-801-629-8992. 2023. We enjoyed another day eating lunch in town and drinking beers sitting by the sea. The jungle starts to encroach on civilization and lines the road like a solid green wall. Its less developed (and less crowded) than its popular northern neighbor Ascension Bay, near Tulum. Known as La Mula Blanca (The White Mule), this Mexican moonshine has no doubt comforted many permit-scorned anglers; a few days later I, too, order a round to ease the sting of rejection. With food and drinks included in the cost of the lodge, our gear was sorted rather quickly into our rooms. Bonefish on the Brain. I have not caught a permit (yet) and am a complete amateur in the saltwater environment so I was wondering if it may have been a big one or was in some coral that you needed to put the wood to it? Hotel Tierra Maya also offers fly-fishing packages for 6-7 nights (US$3,496-4,237 s, US$2,243-2,760 d), though they don't include all the perkslike airport transportation, open bar . After getting into the groove of casting heavier rods, we even managed a few fish including the first bonefish of the trip caught by Jim. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. This phrase is somewhat of a mantra for a few who joined us on our recent trip this past December to Costa De Cocos in Xcalak, Mexico. David Randall moved to Xcalak in the early '90s, after selling his catfish hatchery south of Kansas City. I often found that the best communication came early at the dock when discussing the plan for the day. However, for what the rooms might have lacked in luxury luster, everything was more than made up for with food, drinks, service, and staff! The town sits next to the Caribbean on a small spit of land that separates the Ocean from Chetumal Bay. Along with many miles of Caribbean shoreline, Xcalak sits conveniently close to the entrance of Chetumal Bay. Here are our recommendations for rods, lines, flies, tippet, waders and more. DIY Saltwater Fly Fishing - Etiquette on the Xcalak flats. Shots at permit are what brought my fishing buddy Patrick and me to Xcalaka small pit stop on the Yucatn Peninsula at the southern end of Costa Maya, perfectly situated on one of the last undeveloped stretches along the Mexican Caribbean. All rights reserved. Running south, we have a maze of grass . Not just a fishing and diving lodge, Costa de Cocos boasts a restaurant, brewery, and distillery. white sand flats, throwing at cruising Bones and scouting the deep water for Permit. Jose on many occasions and I am pleased to recommend him. Most tarpon I saw were in tannic colored water, so dark colored tarpon flies and toads were in order. This proved to be a pretty exciting way to mix up the day when cuda were on the flats. Read about average temperatures and weather patterns month by month. During nine days of fly fishing and travel in the Yucatan Peninsula, the novel coronavirus went from being a faint American concern to a full-blown national emergency. In a protected area, this little fishermen's village highlights many activities and advantages : scuba diving, fly fishing and fishing, snorkelling, bird watching and wildlife trips on land and water. The long ride south to Xcalak along scenic Highway 307 offers a fascinating look at the countryside and the villages dotting the eastern edge of the Yucatn Peninsula. overflow: unset; If you liked the story above, check out these stories below. We have miles and miles of wade-able flats with large numbers of bonefish and permit, and if you want to get . After stretching our legs, refueling on appetizers, chips, homemade salsa (a personal favorite), and downing a few beverages; it was time to rig up. Spend your days fly fishing the saltwater flats, snorkeling the coral reefs (just steps from your door), or simply eating too much local food and napping in the dappled shade of a palm. Since our trip was in December, we had the youngsters of the species to target. Experience the wilds of Montana on a multi-day horse pack adventure. In addition to boat fishing, Chetumal also offers excellent wade fishing. Copyright 2020 American Angler. Fly fishing for Pacific Rockfish is nothing new, but something that most anglers haven't sampled yet. Adventurous travelers will be curious to explore beyond Xcalaks tranquil beaches. Permit fever is a real thing, and for those experiencing this diagnosis, Chetumal bay is a good place to seek a fix (I say fix, not cure as there is no such thing). Maybe you are very serious about We have the safest, fastest, and driest boats in the . Deep sea, light tackle, fly fishing - you name it! He rents boats and can give you advice. Get picked up right from the dock in front of the beach and enjoy supper at the on-site restaurant. I have fished with Captain Bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook, and barracuda await your fly. It grew into something that lets us connect travelers to the small businesses of Xcalak. In the past we have fished all six days, but this year decided to take it easy a bit. News: Will dredging the Zaragoza Canal hurt Xcalak? CAR Most visitors to Xcalak arrive at the Cancun International Airport (CUN). 5 Places to Live in Mexicoand 3 to Avoid. Ever look for places to camp in some of these exotic locations? Simply enter your email address below and well send you a free special report Mexico: The Perfect Close-to-Home Retirement Haven.